Study abroad students Study abroad students

CEA Study Abroad in Paris, France

Want a full immersion experience? Look no further!!

I have been studying French for 7 years now and I think I've learned more in the 3 months that I've been in Paris than I have in school back home! I knew that studying in a classroom would only get me so far, so I decided to study abroad in an immersion program. I am so glad that I chose CEA because not only did they make the study abroad process manageable (which we all know is a pain in the a##) but they also plan day trips, cultural experiences and even volunteer opportunities--for free--for all of their students. Also, they placed me with an amazing host family. I am learning so much about the culture and language by living with a real French family and being surrounded by the language 24/7. I couldn't have asked for a better experience so far and I'm even extending my program to stay for another semester! Bonne chance et j'espère vous voir bientôt à Paris!!

Go CEA!

For someone who had high expectations prior to going abroad, CEA exceeded my expectations. They provided every service you could hope for while abroad-- from placing you in safe housing to providing cultural immersion activities. The professors are all very well qualified to teach their classes and are passionate about the subjects. The CEA administration cared deeply about their students and were always ready to engage in conversation about the culture or give advice about travel. The immersion opportunities (such as cooking with French students or attending a French event like a soccer game or ballet) allowed students to feel that they were embracing the community and experiencing the culture. And if all this wasn't enough, I made friendships that would last a lifetime from students all across the United States. I would recommend CEA to anyone!

INCREDIBLE

I loved my time with CEA. The CEA staff are the greatest and were so helpful before, during, and after my time abroad. The classes offered at CEA Paris were all really unique and fun. The classes I took there were some I wouldn't be able to take anywhere else in the world. I loved my apartment and the location it was in! It was in the 14th arr, so it was in a nice residential area and a quick metro ride to classes and nightlife. The only con I had about my experience was the amount of time I spent with Americans, but that just meant I had to go out on my own to meet local friends. Once I did separate from the American crowd and start hanging out with the locals, I felt my experience was becoming more authentic and worthwhile. All in all, CEA was perfect and so helpful, I would go abroad with them again in a heartbeat.

Four Months, Thousands of Memories!

Before arriving here in Paris I had really high expectations. Many of my friends back home had studied abroad and the stories and experiences they related were simply amazing. Upon arriving in Paris and overcoming the initial shock of living in a new place, I knew that my experience would be just as phenomenal. CEA was a major part of the success of my study abroad experience. They laid out the entire process very clearly from the very beginning and there was always someone over the phone or on email to help me answer questions. Once I arrived in Paris CEA did an excellent job of acclimating us and giving us important information so our semester abroad could be the best possible. I'm really thankful that I went with CEA. I have a few friends here with other study abroad programs where the students are often confused or poorly informed. That has never been the case with CEA. The staff here in Paris are genuinely friendly and they are always ready and willing to give you advice on anything you may need help on. Anyone thinking about studying abroad in Paris should look into CEA. And if Paris isn't your thing, than just visit CEA's website because they work in a lot of other countries with a variety of programs!

My love for Paris

So far I am very happy with the help I've gotten from CEA. I barely know french, and so I struggle to do the most basic things but CEA has always been so helpful. I feel like Paris is home now! I feel safe and have gotten a lot of useful information from CEA staff. Classes are well structured and I don't want to leave Paris. I'm so grateful that I was able to adjust to life in Paris thanks to the CEA staff!

An American in Paris, It Couldn`t Have Been Better

Study abroad with CEA is one of the best choices you can make. Seldom have I participated in something that made it so easy for me. Whether it came to signing up for a program, picking classes, or any of the other steps to completing your process, it was all well organized on the site that made it a breeze, and any trouble was quickly solved with a phone call to a helpful CEA staff member, and that carried over to my study abroad in Paris. The staff was extremely helpful with any problems, they were friendly and caring, and always had an interesting suggestion of things for you to do in the city. Although the range of classes was limited they were all well taught, interesting, and most were even relevant to the city one was living in. I stayed in the dorms in Paris which I felt were a great option that provided me the chance to be close with other CEA students, as well as other international students. If you like meeting new people the dorms are the best route to take! CEA Paris provided students with chances to take excursions to Normandy, Germany, and other great places, as well as provided students the chance to win great prizes like tickets for the Eifel Tower, the Opera, and soccer games. I feel that CEA went out of there way to make sure every student experienced the best semester of their lives. They give the students structure if they need it, but if not they allow students to be very independent and roam as they please. This program is definitely worth traveling with!

An American In Paris

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience studying abroad in Paris with CEA. The staff at the CEA study center were excellent, if a bit disorganized at times. I didn't spend a lot of time at the study center because I was in one of the immersion programs but they were a great resource to have. I liked the foyer that I stayed in because of its proximity to the Cours de civilisation française de la Sorbonne campus. In addition, there were other international students and french students and it was great to be able to interact with them.
Academically, I think my time at the Sorbonne was incredibly helpful in improving my french. I only wish that the university had more young people as opposed to older students who had moved to Paris and needed to learn French. In additionally, there were a lot of Americans at the school so it wasn't really a complete immersion. Immersion in Paris is truly what you make of it. A large amount of people in Paris speak English so you can definitely get by without speaking French if you wanted to. However, just being in France and seeing and hearing French around you at all times was the most beneficial part of the program.

When the Going Gets Tough...

...the CEA Staff will know what to do. I have loved studying abroad. Throughout a single semester I have had some of the best experiences of my life: seeing the breathtaking view from the top of Notre Dame, exploring castles in the Loire Valley, and interacting with native French speakers on a daily basis. I have also had the scariest experience of my life: being in Paris when the attacks happened. To be frank, I was never in any real danger, but when you are watching the news, cooped up in your home for hours, your mind can only wander to the possibilities. This is where CEA comes in. Before I even knew about the attacks, CEA posted on Facebook and sent out an email for everyone to check in. They were incredibly efficient, professional, and helpful in confusing time. Within a couple of hours every one in the CEA program had been notified and their whereabouts were made known; thankfully no one had been hurt. In the following days CEA continued to check in with students, make sure they were getting on flights and trains back to Paris if they had been canceled, and they invited us to talk about our experiences both with a licensed Psychologist and to each other in a group setting. The CEA staff made me feel safe in Paris after the attacks, and I am so grateful that they were there and so helpful and present during my stay. Thank you so much CEA staff!

The Parisian Life!

CEA is a great program to help integrate you into a Parisian lifestyle. It was extremely helpful that they took care of finding housing, and the staff really helped us feel comfortable in a new city. They keep the school year interesting by taking us on "Cafés" (night-activities) like to the France-Finland soccer game or to a French cooking class, and day trips around France.

Classes are interesting but not too difficult, and all of the teachers are really enthusiastic and knowledgable. My only constructive thing to say about CEA is that all of the students are American and all of the classes are taught in English, so it is really easy to go a full day without speaking a word of French (except when buying your baguette from the local boulangerie). I am definitely picking up the language, but not nearly as quickly or extensively as I would have if my roommates, classmates, and teachers all spoke French.

Overall, I rate this program an A-!

Learn, See, Do

One of the most amazing things about being a part of CEAs amazing program here in Paris, France is that most of what I am learning in each of my classes can be easily accessed right outside my front door. Whether I am learning about the architecture of La Tour Eiffel, or researching France's Assemblée Nationale, I can be sure that I will get a first hand look at all of these wonderful and historical sites. And what is more, they're no more than a Métro ride away! CEA does an amazing job of integrating classroom learning with real life experiences - and what better way to receive that kind of education than in the beautiful Paris, France?!

Magnifique!

CEA truly created the perfect atmosphere that was both extremely supportive and involved yet left plenty of room for independence. Especially in such a typically known city as Paris, CEA allowed me to experience both the major aspects of it as well as encouraged and advised me on how to explore the localities and wonderful nooks!

Discovering Paris

My program was the experience of a life-time. Study abroad is the best thing you can do for yourself and my program was exactly what I was looking for. I got to learn about the French language and culture inside and outside of the classroom all while exploring one of the greatest cities in the world.

CEA Paris Fall 2013

So far I am loving living in Paris with CEA. They have been more than helpful anytime I have questions or issues with something. I am glad I can feel at home while living abroad and safe.

I LOVE CEA Study Abroad in Paris!!

Never having been to Europe before, I was extremely nervous to live so far away from California for a whole semester. Now I feel that I wasn't here long enough! CEA did an amazing job at integrating us all with the culture and lifestyle of Parisians, and I've learned lifelong lessons I wouldn't have been able to attain if I had stayed in the states. It's amazing how well everyone from the program got along together, and I have made many experiences and new best friends that I will never forget!

I spent five minutes thinking of titles. I couldn't decide!

I absolutely love how warm my reception was from the staff at CEA. Naturally, my first day was daunting, but I was immediately put at ease. I love the neighborhood that I live in because it isn't a heavy-tourist area, therefore forcing me to speak French at all times. My only reservation is that it is the ugliest building on my block and many appliances aren't functional and the majority of the furniture is broken in one way or another. So far I've been on one excursion, Strasbourg/Freiburg, and it was great! The guide, Pierre Jean, was delightful; he made the experience so entertaining! The trip to the football game was also amazing! Overall, I have been extremely pleased with CEA and my academic year so far.

CEA, Paris Review

Up to this midterm point, CEA has been good to me. Most of my classes and class topics are relevant, except for my grammar course which I haven't learned anything from yet. I feel safe at school and when around because of the mental preparation during orientation. Likewise, I have found really neat places around the city and I am beginning to connect with the culture. Overall, I would rate my 2 month experience as a B+

La Vie Parisienne

Studying abroad has always been one of my goals in my studies. CEA is a great program that offers various courses (like art history, French language, business, all about wine, etc..), most of which involve field trips around the city. For example, my art history class has taken me to at least one museum a week and given me the opportunity to see paintings I had heard about for years prior to arriving in Paris (from David to Delacroix to Monet...). In addition, CEA organizes cultural activities outside the classroom that you are free to sign up for (they are not obligatory- but why wouldn't you?!)- involving trips in and outside of Paris. The CEA staff have all been extremely friendly and never hesitate to help students out. My only complaint is the the price of the program.

Abroad in Paris

As a foreigner abroad, I had reservations about having a positive experience. Within the first few days I knew I had made the right decision to study abroad with CEA. I really liked my housing and neighborhood, and I always felt like I had help if I needed it. There are always ups and downs to living abroad, but my experience so far has been a positive one.

A semester in Paris

I will start out by being honest - CEA was not my first choice. Originally, I was set to go with Abroadco to study in Paris, but literally 2 weeks before I was supposed to leave, my school's education abroad office contacted me to inform me they were having issues retaining transcripts for the students who studied abroad with Abroadco.

Talk about stressful! But this is when my journey with CEA begins. They were able to secure a spot for me with CEA in Paris. Everyone there was very friendly and flexible about helping me through this extremely last minute change. Arriving in Paris was great. We were met by students in the airport (French students!), and taken to the main head quarters where we were given our living assignments, maps, and general information we will need to know. Then we were taken to our living situation. Because I joined so late, I was placed in a dorm which turned out to be much nicer and larger than expected. The room was larger than a typical dorm room, and it was a single so I had my own private space. There were over 15 people who lived in the same dorm, most of which on the same floor, so it was really easy to get to know the students who were studying abroad as well.

They were extremely well thought out in their method for helping us become accustomed to the city. I had been to Paris once before, so I had some familiarity with it, but they took us on multiple walking tours throughout the first week which, at the time seemed tedious, but something I came to appreciate very much once we were on our own.

For the most part we were treated like adults, although it was a little annoying to be constantly reminded about attendance. There were about 90 or more students in the program, so it was very easy to find people to travel and hang out with. Overall, everything was very well organized, but I do wish we had a little more say in our excursions. We get to choose one cultural activity out of five (we rank them 1-5 and then are placed based on spacing etc),then have 4 excursions - 3 in France and one was in Brugge, Belgium. With those excursions in France itself, it would've been nice to at least vote as a group on one of them. It was still a lot of fun and I got to see places I wouldn't have thought to choose on my own.

As far as schooling goes, I took one class through CEA - a drawing class- and then I took French Language and Culture through the Sorbonne. Sorbonne classes were intense, but I learned so much. The drawing class would have been better had I had a better teacher. The woman they had teaching it seemed to have no prior experience teaching a drawing class, especially to a large group of novice artists like myself and I would leave class frustrated because regardless of how many times I would ask her to explain what she meant or show me how to do something, she either would not or she would repeat what she said. Hopefully, CEA will find a better teacher for the drawing class, especially since so many of the students have very little drawing experience.

Other than that, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The overall experience was wonderful, and I would definitely go through CEA again to study abroad.

Academics rating is a combination of Sorbonne and CEA classes. Separately I would rate them as:
Sorbonne: A+
CEA: D
NOTE: I only took one class through CEA and have friends that had much better experiences with their classes at CEA.

It wasn't a great program - it was a pretty...

It wasn't a great program - it was a pretty disorganized program - the staff was always changing and activities weren't really planned by them. Academics were poor at the center. The majority of stuff we ended up doing we had to plan ourselves. And when we did go on excursions they were all really badly planned.

Fall in Paris

The time that I've had here in Paris has been great so far. The staff at CEA has been very helpful and never bothered by questions. The classes are nice in that they take advantage of being in Paris and so use the resources around us. Our studio apartment is quite small and is really more suited for one person than two. It is disappointing when we pay the same as other people who are living in full apartments with rooms of their own. But over all my experience with CEA has been positive.