XploreAsia TESOL / TEFL in Thailand - Hua Hin
Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image

XploreAsia TESOL / TEFL in Thailand - Hua Hin

Expanding my mind

In 2012 I signed up with XploreAsia and traveled outside of my home country for the first time in my life. My experience completing the TESOL course with XploreAsia was a fantastic one. I had a bad case of cultural shock and the team was really supportive and helped me through it. I entered Thailand for the first time not feeling at all like a teacher and I left XploreAsia for a teaching position with the confidence of a real teacher. Throughout my first year XploreAsia was a great source of help and support in all things Thailand and teaching. After my first year I had the confidence and knowledge to break away and go on my own mission in Thailand, which is thanks in part to XploreAsia for building my confidence.

• Course Instructor

Amazing experience and brilliant guidance by XploreAsia

I went through XploreAsia in 2015 moving over from the UK to Thailand and I got to say this was the best thing I ever did. Not just moving to Thailand and becoming an English teacher but also going through XA. Without their help I would have found it incredibly difficult setting myself up in a foreign Country with no experience of teaching and no clue on how to speak the language. Everything down to helping me set up a bank account to getting me a job and providing assistance with transport, contracts etc. I ended up continuing to stay on and live in Thailand yet had I not had XA assistance with setting me up here to begin with maybe my experiences would be very different and I wouldn't have given it a chance. Even down to the tutors at XploreAsia preparing you for things like culture shock and giving you the basic language skills to get by before you venture off on your own after the orientation. I highly recommend going with XploreAsia or one of their programmes as I couldn't rate it higher for all the hard work they put in and the effectiveness of the organisation of the program its well worth every penny!

Education of life

Teaching in Thailand educated me about life in another country and finding within myself the adaptability to the new environment. Being out of my comfort zone, XploreAsia was extremely valuable in preparing me for this teaching role and educating me about the Thai culture. XploreAsia provide training for teaching skills, lesson plans, different strategies for the large classrooms and many other teaching tools. Teaching is a very respectful profession in Thailand, especially if you are a native English speaker.

I found the students to be very shy in speaking English in the classroom because they generally fear embarrassment. I used my phone and my laptop a lot and found the students participating and responding very quickly. As soon as they would see the picture on the phone, they would speak out loud and this in a way took away the fear of their embarrassment. It was great participating in the school activities with the children and getting to know Thai teachers.

I used resources and tools provided to me by XploreAsia to assist in the classroom. It was comforting and a peace of mind to know that XploreAsia were on the other end of the phone for support in case of any confusions or any issues arising at the school, this meant I could just get on with the teaching. I would definitely recommend training with XeploreAsia to anyone interested in teaching abroad, it's a condensed complete package. Finally, teaching abroad is such a life educational experience that we make a difference to them and they make a difference to us.

Great program!

I really can’t say enough positive things about XploreAsia! From the moment I got off the plane in Thailand I never felt alone in a new country. XploreAsia was not only great with the TESOL program, but even when I was on my own to teach, they wanted to make sure I was enjoying my experience and wanted to hear about any potential problems I was having. It was very comforting to know that I had people who would help me out with any problem that may arise. They have a tight-knit family feel to the organization and were very welcoming. They know how to make the TESOL course fun but effective so you are prepared to teach at any grade level. XploreAsia wants your transition to teaching in a foreign country to be as smooth as possible and truly do a wonderful job!

TESOL course in Hua Hin

I went through XploreAsia’s TESOL course and really enjoyed the experience. I had been looking for different TESOL programs and found this one through Greenheart Travel. It ended up setting me on a two year teaching path and I’ve gone on to use the international experience to obtain an international career. I took the course in Hua Hin and it was a fun time. They kept us busy and spent a lot of time preparing us to be effective teachers in International classrooms. They also helped us integrate into Thai culture, my favorite part about the course. The course also allows you to meet other teachers and have people to visit around the country. I went on to teach two semesters in a Thailand, with both placements set up by XploreAsia. I visited other alumni in their placement cities and had the opportunity to see all parts of the country. I then went on to teach one year in a Colombia, using the skills I gained through this course. I would recommend XploreAsia to anyone who wants to gain effective classroom skills and is interested in a great international experience.

Coming from TravelBud to ExploreAisa

While TravelBud left lots to be desired, Explore Asia was able to most the majority of my expectations, The course was thorough, and only lacked a couple things such as how to teach tactile learning, and more focus on how to manage a classroom. My instructor was phenomenal, and I believe the placement team did the best they could with placing my boyfriend and I in our school. Unfortunately, after we left XA to come to our school, things got very complicated, as we find that our agent is not a good fit for us.
Overall, coming to Thailand to teach is still one of the best decisions I've ever made, and with some patience and re-coordainting with the placement team, I am hopeful that I will be able to do what I came to Thailand to do, teach.
I was very impressed and pleased with the orientation week, and pre departure support. I also think that most of the members of my group feel similar. My only con about the division of the groups was that a cliqueness that formed due to a large group coming to Thailand together, resulted in bullying and mean behaviour to others in my group. Yet, I know that no one could of seen this coming in the first place, and therefore it really isn't anything much for me to loose sleep over.
Again, I enjoyed my 4 weeks of the TESOL course, and I am still optimistic about my time here in Thailand.

• Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) responded to this review November 10, 2017 at 12:24 AM

Hi Josee, thank you so much for your feedback. We constantly build on our course to improve the experience for everyone, as the teaching experience in schools change, so does our course. Appreciate your insights.

We're very confident that things will settle for you regarding your placement. We place 800 teachers every year, and we're well-versed in ironing these things out rather swiftly. I'm happy to know that you'll soon be settled!

On the odd occasion, some situations can occur out of control, especially within TESOL groups. With just over 100 people in your intake, we were happy to have gotten you all through the course, and off to placement with just a couple of bruises!

We love what we do, and we really appreciate your time leaving this review.

Worth it

I thoroughly enjoyed the TESOL course provided by XploreAsia. The course coordinator was insightful and definitely helped to prepare me for teaching in Thailand. I also believe that the first week of orientation was of the utmost importance and XploreAsia does a great job at preparing you for how things work in Thailand. I definitely recommend XploreAsia.

Over-delivered

The XploreAsia program was intensive (as expected), but what I wasn't expecting was the quality of the instructors and the care that was administered by the XploreAsia staff. It's easy to forget when you live abroad (as most of the XploreAsia staff do), that for some people moving away from their home is a once-in-a-lifetime, potentially life-changing experience that comes with its own sets of insecurities and challenges. XploreAsia never forgot this, in fact a great deal of their teaching content is geared towards preparing you for these challenges for which I applaud them. It was not the first time I had lived abroad so I was expecting the downsides, but it doesn't mean I escaped them. For me this was the outstanding part of the TESOL course which I certainly would NOT have received had I done an online course. Congratulations XploreAsia in making this a course worth crowing about.

Teaching abroad

It has been a rewarding and enriching experience in terms personal growth and development here in Thailand. I never thought for once i could ever teach in my life and thanks to Explore Asia for the opportunity they have awarded me. From day one when I applied with them till this day Explore Asia have been there for me every step of the way. If you looking to move to Thailand to teach English look no further than Explore Asia.

New begenings.

For me this experience was all about new beginnings.. I was 43 years old when I left Canada with only a suit case, and the thoughts of Teaching English In Thailand. You see teaching has been a dream of mine since I graduated High School, and due to life I didn't make it reality till now.

When I arrived in Bangkok Thailand I wasn't sure what to except, and if I could due this at my age. But when I arrived at the Xploreaisa residence in Hau Hin I knew that everything was going to great. And once I started exploring the city of Hau Hin I fell in love with not just city , but the people and the Thai culture.
On my first day of the Tesol Program being nervous and the oldest person in the class , I settled in knowing that all my dreams were coming true. And all I had to do is keep going till I it was reality,
As time went on I got very comfortable in being in Thailand and fitted right in with the Thai culture making new friends and really seeing how the Thai People lived. The course was very informative and the day went on my excitement grew to be in a classroom of my own.
After the course I stayed in Hua Hin and took in the Thai culture and saw the sights in ways I don't think most people have. I walked everywhere I stopped and talked to the people even though I didn't speak Thai, to see a someone who was even interested a little bit to say Hi and ask me where I was from made me smile every time. I spent hours walking up and down the streets really getting close look at on how the Thai People really live. And taking the time to listen to some of their stories, on why they were living in Hau Hin or just to listen to their story and realizing that we all have story to tell.
Once I left Hau Hin to move the town where I would be Teaching my adventure continued in the very same fashion , of meeting new people and listening their story, and yes telling them mine.
My Teaching in Thailand has also brought many new experiences, and yes many new lessons have been learnt by and some growth. I found teaching in Thailand very interesting, demanding ,a nd yes very rewarding, I don't think there's a day that goes by I have where I may have felt home sick, tired, and have one of my students or on the many students of the school I teach at that make feel like smiling and pushing further.
I have found that the Thai students/ Teachers are always trying to make you feel welcome and usually its with food.
My time in Thailand has overall a great experience I love the culture the People and yes the food.
I hope to stay here for a long time because its my opinion that once you been here for a year. you will never want to go home.

In the shadows.

Teaching in Thailand through Xploreasia is an experience of a lifetime. From briefing on the first day in Bangkok to our orientation week in Hua Hin, it was all just breath taking. The people that represent Xploreasia (including their adorable rescue dog, Pudding) clearly know how hard it can be to move away from home. They include you in their own family and embrace you through culture shock. When I had finished my TESOL in Hua Hin and I was sent to my placement, I experience a major wave of culture shock. (How could you not when you have to leave such incredibly welcoming people.)
However, numerous phone calls from Jon and messages from Natalie at placements, I was feeling better.
Then, I remembered the story Jon had told us about his first placement. And he said "we will only give you what we know you can handle," and he was right. I've fallen in love with my city, and I've found my home in Thailand.
So I'd like to say, thank you xploreasia.

Elated alum

Great experience. The Staff go out of their way to help in any way they can, even if it means thinking outside of the box. The teaching staff are amazing. They will do whatever it takes to make sure you grasp the material fully. Our teacher Jaco was a real gem. He was well informed, supportive, and responsive both in and out of the classroom. Our class was encouraged to work together. In the end we all came away with a group of new friends that continue to support each other

My best year

My experience teaching in Thailand was incredible. It was overwhelming and scary at first, of course, but everyone at XploreAsia, the Thai people, and the other expat teachers made the experience more than I ever could have hoped. Now that I say that, remind me again why I'm not still in Thailand? :)
Reflecting back on my year in Thailand, I am very grateful that I did my TESOL training in Hua Hin, instead of completing the course in the states before arriving. It provided the necessary time to acclimate to a new country, to make friends, and to get a better feel for how our TESOL skills would translate in the classroom. That being said, the TESOL training and the orientation program can't teach you everything, but what they do teach is how you can adapt the tools to have to make them work at your school and in your community. This adaptability is the most important skill I learned, and even though it isn't always an explicit lesson, it's ingrained in almost everything you are taught.
I was lucky enough to be placed in a city with a small community of expat teachers already in place and to have that was extremely comforting and very fun! But while having some built it friends was great, I really relied on the fact that I knew XploreAsia would always have my back if I ever had a question or concern about my placement or my school. I used their resources, I restructured their TESOL lessons to work with my students, and I relied on my orientation group (and the XploreAsia Facebook page) for moral support often.
I know the experience I had in Thailand would've been incredibly different if I had gone through this program and I feel very lucky that my time in Thailand was as wonderful as it was.

• Course Instructor

An unforgettable, incredible experience!

It was nerve-wracking to make the decision to leave home and move to a new country to teach English but XploreAsia replaced all my trepidation with excitement and confidence! I have been living and teaching in Thailand for the past 7 months and couldn't be happier with my choice. XploreAsia provided endless support prior to coming to Thailand, invaluable teaching preparation, personalized placement meetings to help place me in a job best suited for me, and unending support after I was placed in a school. This program goes above and beyond in making sure participants are well-prepared and confident going into their own classrooms. I found the continued support after being placed in my school to be one of the most positive aspects of my experience as the XploreAsia staff is happy to help and well-informed in regards to Thai life and culture. I cannot recommend this program enough, if you're looking to embark upon a life changing and growing experience then don't hesitate. Wonderful things are waiting for you!

Teaching teenagers

I was sent to a high school in Sisaket where I taught approximately 850 students per week. If you are looking for an easy job, then teaching abroad is not for you. You will work hard, you will sweat, you will occasionally want to kill your students but believe me when I say it is worth it. When your students are struggling with a concept and finally get said concept, you are beyond excited. When they yell out to you around the school just to say hi, you will trust that you are in the right place. Teaching is hard work but it is rewarding work. Make it fun, for both you and your students and you will have fewer bad days than good ones.

Awesome Thailand

This has been a life changing experience. I am so truly blessed for getting this opportunity. Thanks to the team who helped me kick off this adventure. I am truly grateful for all the help that the team has given me. I don't think I can leave this beautiful country. I look forward to working more with the team in more adventures within Thailand.

Amazing opportunity!

Before arriving in Thailand I knew what I wanted to get out of the experience. I'd graduated university and I wanted to get a little more experience teaching whilst having the freedom to travel. I never imagined that I'd make such amazing connections with the staff and the pupils at my school and also what incredible friends I'd meet along the way! I can truly say that this experience has taught me so much and Thailand will always have a special place in my heart. I encourage anyone who is open to new experiences and not afraid of a challenge to sign up to this programme!

The Full package!

The XploreAsia team is the absolute dream team to support you on your Teach Abroad adventure. The team consists of such amazing individuals dedicated to making your transition abroad seamless and blissful. The level of communication and constant flow of information never keeps you guessing what steps are next. I felt armed with the right information to confidently take each step in the process.
The orientation week which is included in the course was absolutely incredible! The week was filled to the brim with excursions, thai language and politics classes. These cultural activities and sessions truly help in getting you settled and feeling right at home. The TESOL course did not disappoint either, focussing on both quality and quantity. Within 3 weeks, I felt confident to help shape and grow students' minds through English. The course is packed with a healthy balance of theory and practical modules. I'm so happy I chose XploreAsia to guide me on this new adventure. I start teaching in one week and I couldn't be more excited to call Thailand my new home.

Life changing!

I would highly recommend XploreAsia to anyone thinking about teaching in Asia. The course is slightly more expensive than other courses, but the quality and assurance is definitely worth it. You learn much more than just the TESOL theory. It is also fun, and you meet people from all over the world during the training that really help you kick start your teaching career. I know I have met some people that I will stay friends with for the rest of my life. (Also helps if you want to swap schools and/or visit a friend in a different city). You also learn about the culture of the country you are being placed in. I would have never known the do's and don't's without their help.

XploreAsia has also encouraged me to try new things. If I had just done an online course and applied for a job in one of the well-known cities, I don't think I would have learned too much. I got placed in a very rural district in Thailand and absolutely LOVED IT! And this is what I want others to do too.

Amazing!!

I genuinely cannot say enough good things about XploreAsia! I truly loved every minute of my time in the teaching course and at my placement! Not only was XploreAsia superb in preparing us for our placements, they offered constant support throughout my time in Thailand. When I was in the hospital with Dengue, Michael Volpe reached out to me to make sure that I was doing okay and to see if I needed any help with submitting insurance claims, and he checked in with me a few weeks later to make sure that I was recovering well. The staff at XploreAsia truly cares about the safety and wellbeing of it participants. If you are thinking of teaching in Asia this is the program to choose! Not only will you have an amazing experience you will make friends that will far outlast your time in Thailand.

• Published Content

Awesome experience with Xplore Asia!

I had a great experience with Xplore Asia! The training they provided was extremely useful for helping me maximize my lessons for my students and become more comfortable with transitioning into the Thai culture. XA staff were always professional and always available to answer questions and provide helpful advice to us nervous future teachers. The placement team did an excellent job at accommodating our needs to the best of their ability. My two friends and I wanted to be placed together, in a medium sized town, in the same school and live near each other -- and through it was challenging, they were able to meet all of these needs! What I appreciate the most is that XA staff from all levels of the company ( from upper management, to coordinators, to the placement team) went out of there way to make a personal effort to see how I was enjoying my teaching experience!! This is especially meaningful because it reminds me that I'm still apart of the XA family even after graduating from the program! I would definitely recommend Xplore Asia!

Ready Set Click with XploreAsia

Seven weeks ago a petrified 29 year old South African/Aussie hybrid was sitting at Brisbane airport munching on her fingernails, wondering if she had just made the dumbest decision of her life.

As I sit here under the moonlight eating fresh pineapple with a toothpick, motorbikes buzzing beneath me and a Thai boy band belting out Bieber songs I can only laugh. Laugh at fear.

Boarding that flight was the best decision I have ever made and my incredible journey thus far would not have been possible without the amazing support and direction from the entire XploreAsia Team.

From the moment I arrived into a sticky and chaotic Bangkok Airport to the moment I left on a Bus to my current placement in Korat, XploreAsia was there supporting me like a well fitted inexpensive sports bra.

Whilst I did not conduct my Tesol Certificate with them, I was fortunate enough to be part of the November Purple Team which participated in an orientation week in Hua Hin. This week gave us valuable insight into Thai Culture, Language and an idea of what we could expect during our time in Thailand, through various activities and workshops.

O week was jam packed, but boy oh boy was it fun! I was able to bond and explore Hua Hin with some amazing humans ( who are now lifelong friends) and even better animals at the Elephant Sanctuary and Rescue Paws and not to mention sample some of Thailand's finest Tom Yum Kung and Pad Thai.

I cannot thank XploreAsia enough for guiding me along this journey and for placing me in a location that has pushed me out of my comfort zones, helped me face fear head on and that brings a smile to my face every single day!

I would highly recommend XploreAsia to anyone thinking of Teaching overseas and if you're that person reading this, who is hovering over the "APPLY NOW" button, just bloody click it!

It will be the best click of your life!

What a good Thai-m

Xplore Asia has been wonderful. Moving to a different country has been made significantly easier. The staff members are super friendly and are always available for any questions and to assist where they can. The course was made fun and interesting by a very talented teacher and the cultural excursions are absolutely amazing.

The month spent with Xplore Asia has definitely changed my life due to all the amazing people you meet and the new friendships

Exceptional

Xplore Asia does everything they can possibly do to aid you in transition to a new country and in preparation for your placement. Although a large part of the assimilation is up to you and your own attitudes, expectations, etc., Xplore Asia really does go in depth to inform you of your new culture and how to handle it. I am in my first week of my placement, still settling in, but confident that it won't take long for things to feel normal. They are with you in your first steps and remain there as your support when needed. I would reccomend them to anyone considering international travel, teaching, and/or volunteering.

3, 2, 1, Xplore!

Sitting alone in the airport during one of my layovers on the way to Thailand was when I started to think to myself, "what on earth am I doing". Xplore Asia took all that doubt away as soon as I arrived in Thailand. From the airport pickup, to providing accommodation and even a Thai sim card, Xplore Asia was with me every minute of my journey. Through orientation week, you are provided with useful information about Thailand and the culture, and are even given useful thai language lessons with a fabulous instructor. Along with the useful information, you are taken on amazing excursions, such as heading to an elephant sanctuary where you'll feed the elephants yourself, Rescue Paws, where you get to play with puppies on the beach, and you even get the chance to sweat a little at a muay thai lesson. After a great week of orientation, you'll start your TESOL course. Without all the practice of making lesson plans, and teaching to a class, I would not have been prepared for my first day of school. The instructors are so great, and they truly will make you feel confident in your ability to be an ESL teacher once you're shipped off to your placement. Once you are done the course, you are also provided with a huge amount of useful teacher resources and lesson plans. Even after you have arrived at your placement, Xplore Asia is still with you. Whether it's simply an email to see how you're doing, or a phone call to help sort out any issues, the staff of Xplore Asia are there to help. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone who asked me about it, and if I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. They really do make Thailand feel like your home away from home.