XploreAsia TESOL / TEFL in Thailand - Hua Hin
Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image

XploreAsia TESOL / TEFL in Thailand - Hua Hin

In the shadows.

Teaching in Thailand through Xploreasia is an experience of a lifetime. From briefing on the first day in Bangkok to our orientation week in Hua Hin, it was all just breath taking. The people that represent Xploreasia (including their adorable rescue dog, Pudding) clearly know how hard it can be to move away from home. They include you in their own family and embrace you through culture shock. When I had finished my TESOL in Hua Hin and I was sent to my placement, I experience a major wave of culture shock. (How could you not when you have to leave such incredibly welcoming people.)
However, numerous phone calls from Jon and messages from Natalie at placements, I was feeling better.
Then, I remembered the story Jon had told us about his first placement. And he said "we will only give you what we know you can handle," and he was right. I've fallen in love with my city, and I've found my home in Thailand.
So I'd like to say, thank you xploreasia.

Elated alum

Great experience. The Staff go out of their way to help in any way they can, even if it means thinking outside of the box. The teaching staff are amazing. They will do whatever it takes to make sure you grasp the material fully. Our teacher Jaco was a real gem. He was well informed, supportive, and responsive both in and out of the classroom. Our class was encouraged to work together. In the end we all came away with a group of new friends that continue to support each other

My best year

My experience teaching in Thailand was incredible. It was overwhelming and scary at first, of course, but everyone at XploreAsia, the Thai people, and the other expat teachers made the experience more than I ever could have hoped. Now that I say that, remind me again why I'm not still in Thailand? :)
Reflecting back on my year in Thailand, I am very grateful that I did my TESOL training in Hua Hin, instead of completing the course in the states before arriving. It provided the necessary time to acclimate to a new country, to make friends, and to get a better feel for how our TESOL skills would translate in the classroom. That being said, the TESOL training and the orientation program can't teach you everything, but what they do teach is how you can adapt the tools to have to make them work at your school and in your community. This adaptability is the most important skill I learned, and even though it isn't always an explicit lesson, it's ingrained in almost everything you are taught.
I was lucky enough to be placed in a city with a small community of expat teachers already in place and to have that was extremely comforting and very fun! But while having some built it friends was great, I really relied on the fact that I knew XploreAsia would always have my back if I ever had a question or concern about my placement or my school. I used their resources, I restructured their TESOL lessons to work with my students, and I relied on my orientation group (and the XploreAsia Facebook page) for moral support often.
I know the experience I had in Thailand would've been incredibly different if I had gone through this program and I feel very lucky that my time in Thailand was as wonderful as it was.

• Course Instructor

An unforgettable, incredible experience!

It was nerve-wracking to make the decision to leave home and move to a new country to teach English but XploreAsia replaced all my trepidation with excitement and confidence! I have been living and teaching in Thailand for the past 7 months and couldn't be happier with my choice. XploreAsia provided endless support prior to coming to Thailand, invaluable teaching preparation, personalized placement meetings to help place me in a job best suited for me, and unending support after I was placed in a school. This program goes above and beyond in making sure participants are well-prepared and confident going into their own classrooms. I found the continued support after being placed in my school to be one of the most positive aspects of my experience as the XploreAsia staff is happy to help and well-informed in regards to Thai life and culture. I cannot recommend this program enough, if you're looking to embark upon a life changing and growing experience then don't hesitate. Wonderful things are waiting for you!

Awesome Thailand

This has been a life changing experience. I am so truly blessed for getting this opportunity. Thanks to the team who helped me kick off this adventure. I am truly grateful for all the help that the team has given me. I don't think I can leave this beautiful country. I look forward to working more with the team in more adventures within Thailand.

Life changing!

I would highly recommend XploreAsia to anyone thinking about teaching in Asia. The course is slightly more expensive than other courses, but the quality and assurance is definitely worth it. You learn much more than just the TESOL theory. It is also fun, and you meet people from all over the world during the training that really help you kick start your teaching career. I know I have met some people that I will stay friends with for the rest of my life. (Also helps if you want to swap schools and/or visit a friend in a different city). You also learn about the culture of the country you are being placed in. I would have never known the do's and don't's without their help.

XploreAsia has also encouraged me to try new things. If I had just done an online course and applied for a job in one of the well-known cities, I don't think I would have learned too much. I got placed in a very rural district in Thailand and absolutely LOVED IT! And this is what I want others to do too.

Amazing!!

I genuinely cannot say enough good things about XploreAsia! I truly loved every minute of my time in the teaching course and at my placement! Not only was XploreAsia superb in preparing us for our placements, they offered constant support throughout my time in Thailand. When I was in the hospital with Dengue, Michael Volpe reached out to me to make sure that I was doing okay and to see if I needed any help with submitting insurance claims, and he checked in with me a few weeks later to make sure that I was recovering well. The staff at XploreAsia truly cares about the safety and wellbeing of it participants. If you are thinking of teaching in Asia this is the program to choose! Not only will you have an amazing experience you will make friends that will far outlast your time in Thailand.

• Published Content

Awesome experience with Xplore Asia!

I had a great experience with Xplore Asia! The training they provided was extremely useful for helping me maximize my lessons for my students and become more comfortable with transitioning into the Thai culture. XA staff were always professional and always available to answer questions and provide helpful advice to us nervous future teachers. The placement team did an excellent job at accommodating our needs to the best of their ability. My two friends and I wanted to be placed together, in a medium sized town, in the same school and live near each other -- and through it was challenging, they were able to meet all of these needs! What I appreciate the most is that XA staff from all levels of the company ( from upper management, to coordinators, to the placement team) went out of there way to make a personal effort to see how I was enjoying my teaching experience!! This is especially meaningful because it reminds me that I'm still apart of the XA family even after graduating from the program! I would definitely recommend Xplore Asia!

What a good Thai-m

Xplore Asia has been wonderful. Moving to a different country has been made significantly easier. The staff members are super friendly and are always available for any questions and to assist where they can. The course was made fun and interesting by a very talented teacher and the cultural excursions are absolutely amazing.

The month spent with Xplore Asia has definitely changed my life due to all the amazing people you meet and the new friendships

Exceptional

Xplore Asia does everything they can possibly do to aid you in transition to a new country and in preparation for your placement. Although a large part of the assimilation is up to you and your own attitudes, expectations, etc., Xplore Asia really does go in depth to inform you of your new culture and how to handle it. I am in my first week of my placement, still settling in, but confident that it won't take long for things to feel normal. They are with you in your first steps and remain there as your support when needed. I would reccomend them to anyone considering international travel, teaching, and/or volunteering.

• Course Instructor

Having a support group in an unknown country - Best decision I have made!

Swallowing the anxious pit in my stomach and diving into the unknown, has without a doubt, been the best decision I have made yet. Couldn't have asked for a better program, team to be placed with (red or dead) for a month and previous teachers to gather advice from.

Even after I have finished my tefl and settled into my new city. A few of us from the same agency ran into a minor problem, after speaking to the placement team for advice, the placement team intervened on our behalf and the issue was sorted out immediately - something we definitely would not have been able to do on our own accord. Very thankful to know we can always contact XploreAsia staff for help and at any time. You have all been incredibly supportive. A massive comfort to know we are never alone if we need to reach out!

Explore with XploreAsia

Where do I start? My month with XploreAsia was easily one of the best of my life. At the risk of sounding cliché, they really did play a major role in changing my outlook and helped pave the way for a more positive and open-minded person. I cannot thank the entire team for their contribution; their guidance and advice are so priceless when you step into an entire new culture with virtually no solid knowledge about your newfound home. The team takes an honest approach to helping you adjust and you’ll hear the most amazing stories and experiences. Google can only get you so far, real life experiences are what will help you learn and prepare for the culture shock you’re inevitably going to go through. Coincidently, I am sitting at my desk in Trang as I type this out after I just had my first squatty potty experience roughly 3 minutes ago and I cannot stop laughing at myself. I felt like I was in a scene of Mr. Bean, I had no idea what I was supposed to do, but I can honestly say that I have never been this happy and carefree.

Although there is technically a customer-client relationship between yourself and the team at XploreAsia, it did not feel like that at any stage. It felt like they genuinely cared for every single one of us and they really did. They’ve all been there and want to share their gained wisdom with you, they want you to get the most out of your time in the Land of Smiles and they want to make you the best possible teacher you can be. They get the balance between being professional as well as warm and friendly so perfectly right and set an example that you can take forward and use as a model for your own teaching life.

What this experience gives you most though is new friendships with likeminded people. You will form bonds with your instructors, the placement team and of course your incredible program coordinator and the amazing people within your group. These are all people who were not happy with their mundane lives back home (or simply wanted a change) and took the bravest plunge of leaving the comforts of their friends and family. These are the people you will meet, who will see the good in you that you may have forgotten yourself and that perhaps some of your own friends back home neglected to remind you of. It also means you have a couch to crash on when you travel around the country, which is great too!

In summary, I cannot recommend a company more than XploreAsia. From the orientation week, to the preparation and support during your TESOL course, to the smooth placement process and after placement support, they’re there for you and want to help you.

If you’re reading this and still undecided about leaving your safe haven; do it! If we were meant to stay in one place, we would have been born with roots and not feet. I have been here for two months now and have so many stories already; I just needed to step outside my proverbial comfort zone. If you need any advice or questions, feel free to email me at enricodasilva@rocketmail.com at any time.

Finding a family in a town called Hua Hin

The month I spent in Hua Hin with Xplore Asia is undoubtedly one of the greatest experiences in my 25 years of existence. I was part of the October 2016 intake, and a member of the infamous Red Team. We were like Marmite - you either loved us or hated us.

Our team clicked from the get go, and our experience was made even richer by the wonderful Varnessa, who was assigned as our Programme Coordinator. Varnessa ensured that life in Hua Hin was fun, enjoyable and felt like home. She organised excursions such as temple visits and temple treks, ensured we all kept to the schedule and was always there for a chat if culture shock or home sickness set in.

We were very fortunate to have the fantastic Teacher Paul as our TESOL instructor. Paul is the nicest, most clean cut and above board guy you could ever imagine. The way he delivered the course content made it easy to understand and he would always reply back to queries or questions sent via email... sometimes up to 1am in the morning.

Last but not least I'd like to thank Michael and Jon of Xplore Asia, both of these guys have earned their stripes in this wonderful country and are very knowledgeable when it comes to the local culture. They have shared experiences and knowledge with me and my team that I doubt would be provided elsewhere.

I can't thank Xplore Asia enough for helping me adapt to Thailand, and fully preparing me for the life that I am now living. If you are considering coming to teach in Thailand via Xplore Asia, STOP thinking about it- just DO IT. Book your TESOL, save some money and hand in your notice at work... I promise you will not look back.

• Course Instructor

" A helping hand in a crazy adventure"

I came into Thailand uncertain of what I was getting myself into. XploreAsia made my transition into Thailand as smooth as possible. Within the first week in Thailand they had me feeding elephants, cooking Pad Thai and gaining some new muay thai skills. Besides the fun excursions, they prepared me for the most hectic day of my life AKA the first day of school! The TESOL course was tough and time consuming; however, I could not be more prepared for the unknown.

I was recently just confused about Visa paperwork. On the same day of contacting XploreAsia about my confusion they called me to try and figure out the best solution! I know that if have a question about ANYTHING XploreAisa will be there to answer my question or take the time to find an answer… and trust me when you are in Thailand you will have plenty of unanswered questions.

I signed up for XploreAsia to experience an adventure and an adventure is what I received!!

• Course Instructor

Take the leap, you won't regret it

XploreAsia went above and beyond from the very beginning of the process and still provides invaluable assistance after I have been placed in a teaching position. I knew very little about Thailand and had never visited when I got on the plane from Pennsylvania to come live and work here. The experience and knowledge that XploreAsia provides is unparalleled. The cultural orientation week that takes place the first week participants arrive is packed with fun activities that are both an informational and bonding experience. You truly get an authentic experience of Thailand, rather than one that leans towards tourism. You get to experience this wonderfully unique country in a way that is personal and fulfilling. We played with rescued dogs, meditated with a Buddhist monk, and fed elephants that had been used for commercial means and now live in a sanctuary. All of this and more was just the first week! You have the opportunity to make close-knit friendships with individuals from all over.

The TESOL course and Thai language lessons prepared me to teach in such an in-depth and hands on manner that far exceeded my expectations. I was beyond nervous and wracked with self-doubt that I would not succeed as an English teacher in such a new and foreign place. XploreAsia helped to diminish this doubt and replace it with an overwhelming sense of self-confidence in my ability to walk into any classroom and turn it into an environment that is fun, safe, and educationally constructive for my students. If you have any fear or doubt about teaching do not in any way let it hold you back. Let yourself be scared, take the leap into the unknown and watch yourself grow exponentially from the experience.

XploreAsia does not simply place you in a teaching position and then leave you high and dry on your own. They provide consistent support in your transition to your new town and job. Whether you need help with your teaching, visas, or medical conditions XploreAsia is on the ball and every staff member genuinely seems happy to help. I have arthritis and need to have needles sent from the U.S. every month, with international shipping and customs this can be quite a hassle. XploreAsia has helped me to resolve any issues I came across regarding my medicine and has definitely helped reduce more than one headache in the process. This organization truly cares about participants on an individual level and has the expertise and experience to mold individually into incredibly capable teachers.

I have been in my teaching position in Pranburi for about a month now and am so unbelievably thrilled and surprised that life can be this rewarding and exciting. It's true what people say: if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life. I love going to work and spending everyday with my crazy, smiling students. Watching a student's confusion dissolve and hearing them speak English while enjoying it makes every second of lesson planning worthwhile. I teach 25 hours a week and have more than enough free time to explore this invigorating country.

If you're considering jumping into the glorious unknown that is Thailand, do it. At the end of the day the only thing standing in your way is yourself.

Life changing!!

My experience with XploreAsia was everything I expected and more! I met the best people on the course and the most incredible excursions! The TESOL course was professional, will prepare you for teaching and is fun and interesting. Will highly recommend this course to anyone! They will guide you and support you through this amazing, scary, thrilling, life changing adventure even when the course is finished.

10/10 for XploreAsia!

XploreAsia was top notch in professionalism, preparation, and fun when it came to getting TESOL certified in Thailand! Even though our group was pretty big, I still felt like they took the time to individually check on us throughout the entire course. We met with the placement team every week before getting a job and they were easily available/reachable whenever we had any questions! Orientation week was so much fun (my favorite was meditating with a Buddhist monk) and our group became so close throughout the course! I also loved learning about Thai politics, government, and culture with XploreAsia, which I think has made the difference in adjusting to a new culture in the schools. We also had some Thai language classes which have been a life saver...learn your numbers first!! Before coming to Thailand I had zero friends, and now I have friends teaching all over Thailand! If I could do it all over again, I would go through XploreAsia. They were FABULOUS!!

Overwhelming gratitude for the XploreAsia Team

Trekking across the globe on your own can be quite an intimidating process. But here I sit, from the comfort of my new home in Thailand, to say that YOU can make this journey possible, and especially with XploreAsia on your side! Though I didn't receive my TESOL Certification through XploreAsia, I participated in their "placement only" week. This is a great option for those who have already completed their teaching requirements, but still feel a bit uneasy with the thoughts of hopping off a plane with no job, no friends, no comfort.

Though my orientation was just one short week in Hua Hin, I still have so much gratitude in my heart for the week that XploreAsia provided. Every action of theirs is so considerate; they truly ALWAYS have you in mind. A week may seem like no time, and trust me, it does fly by, but I was able to absorb insane amounts of knowledge throughout my week of orientation. When not in the classroom, you are creating memories and friendships that will surely last a lifetime. Every excursion we participated in was so delicately constructed in order to ensure the best time possible, while also making responsible and ethical decisions. For example, the elephant sanctuary we visited was one of only rescued creatures, providing the elephants with a safe and loving home, not one ruled by dollar signs. The afternoon with Rescue Paws is such a blast, all while giving some pups a bit of a brighter day. Every time we ate as a crew, XploreAsia made sure to provide vegetarian options, truly ensuring your happiness and comfort every step of the way, no matter what!

I could go on and on about the beauty of this organization, but I think that you should find out for yourself! Sure, teaching and culture shock and missing home definitely aren't always easy, but life isn't easy. From challenge comes growth. So take the leap of faith and venture out! XploreAsia will guide you in each and every step of the way.

A great experience!

I really couldn't be happier that I went through TESOL certification and the placement process with XploreAsia! They were helpful every step of the way from orientation to supporting us while we are at our placements. Having never taught before, I was nervous about being a teacher for the first time. But they really work with you to make you feel comfortable in front of the classroom while giving you constructive tips. By the end of the four weeks, I felt ready to start teaching and get to my placement! And it's so helpful knowing that if I have any problems, questions or concerns, the XploreAsia staff will be there!

My first Thai family

It's difficult for me to imagine navigating the fascinating customs and rich culture of Thailand without the help of XA's Culture Immersion Program. I really appreciated the way they used personal examples and candor to paint a picture of farangs living in Thailand. The TESOL course prepared me for the daily challenges of teaching english abroad. XploreAsia taught me how to be a english teacher abroad and gave me the cultural context to make my lessons relevant.

• Course Instructor

XploreAsia is a great program!

Coming to Thailand through Xplore Asia was one of the best decisions I and my partner have done. We are so incredibly happy with the program and it's staff.

XploreAsia is with you every step of the way for teaching in Thailand, even after you have completed your teaching course. When we first arrived in Bangkok they had already set up accommodation and transportation from the airport. This is so helpful and takes off some of the stress from the long flight over. They also provide a nice accommodation and transportation to Hua Hin where you will take your course. There we had a great orientation week full of wonderful activities in the area including a trip to a pineapple farm and to feed some elephants. XploreAsia also provides a language and Thai culture course. They were some of the best courses I have taken and so incredibly interesting! Having all of this really helped become more accustomed with everything. In addition, XploreAsia helped us with setting up a bank account, our phones, and took us to the grocery store to get some supplies. We also received plenty of other supplies such as a flash drive full of teaching resources, online recourse, sim card, language book, and more. Overall, they did amazing helping us settle into Thailand and there was always someone to talk to if we had any questions.

Our time in Hua Hin for train was incredibly. It is a great city itself with so much to do! There are many markets, restaurants, beaches, waterfalls, and more to see and do on the weekend. Its a great place to get to know Thailand.

The TESOL course was a lot of work, but worth every minute. We had a great instructor who really pushed everyone to be the best teacher possible. The class was hard, but lots of fun and we were able to meet new friends who we can no visit on holidays around the country. Yes, we did have plenty of work during and after class, but when it came to teaching in your placement I was so prepared. During our TESOL course we also took part in a two day English camp. This gave us a real taste of what was to come. I can't imagine not taking part in anything like that before I started teaching. The English camp was an incredible experience and really made all of us even more excited about teaching and want to push ourselves more.

At the end of our TESOL course we all received our placements. This was a bit stressful, but the XploreAsia staff was so great at helping us out figuring out transportation and also everyone's anxiety. They really are always there to help out with anything and everything. Even after we arrived at our placements XploreAsia was there to help with any issues or questions we had about our school.

XploreAsia, creates a great network for everyone not just with their staff, but all participants. We are able to talk with other in the facebook forum and talk about different teaching ideas with everyone.

Overall, my experience with XploreAsia has been amazing. Its a great company who is there for you and really helps make you a better teacher. I HIGHLY recommend if you are considering teaching abroad to join the XploreAsia team.

Ready Set Xplore!

I have always wanted to come to Thailand then I found out about a way where I could come to Thailand and change lives. Teaching abroad. XploreAsia helped make all of this possible.

XploreAsia doesn't just throw you in head first and hope for the best. The first week of the course is an introduction to Thailand where they take you on fun excursions, introducing you to the Thai culture and their way of life. In preparation for your life in the Thai community XploreAsia also teaches you the Thai language as well as give you cultural classes with Mike, where you will learn more about the religion, culture and politics of Thai people.

The course itself is no bore either. Even if you have never had any experience with kids or teaching the instructors work hard to turn you into a qualified English teacher. You learn interesting things about teaching and make great friends along the way. At the end of the course you get to practice your newly developed teaching skills in a real class at an English camp which is truly an awesome experience.

I came over with my boyfriend and we were really worried that we would not be able to be together when we started teaching. The placement team works really hard to meet all your preference when they are searching for a school to place you at. In the end not only were my boyfriend and I placed in the same town but we were placed at the same school.

XploreAsia does not only offer you a TESOL certificate and a new set of skills but they also kick start you on an awesome Xperience that you will keep with you for the rest of your life.

• Course Instructor

I highly recommend XploreAsia's 120-hour in-class TESOL training and certification to anyone who is considering teaching English in Thailand. The benefits of taking this course right in Thailand rather than studying it online are numerous, and XploreAsia's topnotch team of professionals is amazingly supportive all the way through. In fact, they're still supporting me with regular follow-up after the fact.

During the first week, XploreAsia provides an in-depth look at Thai culture and politics while also providing their TESOL students with a few hours of basic Thai language classes. I can't begin to explain just how helpful this was weeks later, once I began my teaching contract at a Thai school in Bangkok. The staff at the school really appreciated my extra bit of knowledge and understanding compared to other Westerners who didn't receive any cultural training at all. It was also helpful for us both that I was able to speak a wee bit of Thai with them.

The remaining three weeks of the course were filled with not only the same theoretical review of teaching methodologies that one learns through the online course, but also many hours of practical application within the classroom. We learned how to create and present various types of lesson plans, and we were able to provide and receive feedback from our instructors and each other in a safe environment while we learned. This in itself is priceless, but it didn't end there. Following this, we also got the opportunity to do a practicum at a two-day English camp at a nearby Thai school. So, again we received that all-important firsthand experience of dealing with Thai children in their natural school environment which further prepared us for our real jobs to follow.

Studying this TESOL course and teaching in Thailand has been a "bucket list" item of mine for many years, but I don't know how well I would have done if I'd just moved here on my own. I think I would have experienced quite a strong sense of culture shock if it weren't for the safe cocoon of XploreAsia staff and my fellow TESOL students around me for that first month. It really helped me to acclimatize to a new country so that, once I was on my own a month later, I was that much more prepared. I know how to live on my own here now. I know what I need, and I know how and where to get it.

Thank you for making everything so much easier and enjoyable for me, XploreAsia. I highly recommend your company and your TESOL course to everyone.

Ready - Set - Go

I decided I wanted to live abroad before I was too old to want to live abroad. So, at 46, I quit my comfortable job, rented my house and moved to Thailand. Before I decided on Thailand I did a lot of research on teaching English as well as other jobs I could do abroad. The amount of information and number of companies offering TESOL, TEFL, and other courses was staggering and overwhelming. How do you ever decide? I liked the idea that I could get my TESOL certification in a real classroom with real people in the country I would be teaching in with real practice teaching days. This is what drew me to Xploreasia. The first week of class focused on culture and some of the things you will need to know about living in Thailand. This is not just about doing your job and going to the corner expat bar after work. This is about how to live in a Thai community. This was a huge relief for me because I want to see what it's like to live in a different culture, not just visit a different country and see the sights. I felt that Xploreasia's commitment to preparing their teachers to not only teach, but to live here is huge. The help with job placement after the class was also part of why I chose this program. The thought of learning a new job in a month and then having to go find that new job on my own was daunting. And the cultural information is coming in handy as I'm working in a rural town with no other foreigners in it. I also feel that if I have questions or need support now that I'm teaching, I have the staff and other teachers there to help me out.

Amazing Experience with XploreAsia

I could not have had a better time during my TESOL certification in Hua Hin in October. The 120 hour course definitely prepared me so well for my future in the Thai classroom. Jon was an amazing instructor, he was so helpful and provided a lot of useful constructive criticism, he ensured that everyone in my class was getting better with each lesson they presented. My group was particularly lucky because we got to live within the Thai community in a house during our certification. This allowed my group to form lasting connections that I've continued to maintain since I left Hua Hin in my placement town of Phetchabun. XploreAsia has left me feeling like I have a giant community of people I can go to for support and help throughout Thailand no matter what. I could not recommend a program more.