XploreAsia Teach Vietnam Program
Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image

XploreAsia Teach Vietnam Program

In Vietnam

Since leaving Thailand and coming to Vietnam, XploreAsia has continued to support me and offer guidance whenever needed. Now that they have a course in Vietnam, I couldn't urge people enough to come here and experience everything Vietnam has to offer. I'm so thrilled to see XploreAsia's reach and network continue to grow ever larger.

I'm so happy about the experience that I had in Thailand, but coming to Vietnam was definitely the best choice for me. I absolutely love it here, and while it's not always easy, it's really become like a second home for me.

I am currently based in Hanoi, which can be a bit of a mad city at times. But it's something that tends to grow on people, an acquired taste if you will. But Hanoi has definitely grown on me and I could see myself staying here for another two and half years.

I really like the lifestyle available to English teachers here. It can be stressful at times, but there is plenty of time and freedom to pursue your other interests as well. I've found hobbies and interests in this place that I never would have imagined having back in Canada, and I absolutely love that. Being out of your comfort zone is when the best things happen, and I've realized that more and more in Vietnam.

I've just gotten a job at Marie Curie School in Hanoi, a very well-respected private school in the My Dinh district of the city. It's not a terribly long drive on my motorbike and I absolutely love everything about the school. Definitely a dream teaching job. I've had the wonderful opportunity to work in various private and public schools throughout Hanoi, but I'm truly happy that I've ended up here at Marie Curie.

Coming to Vietnam can be a bit of a shock to the senses at first, but it has a way of revealing itself as a truly beautiful place and you'll end up falling in love with it. I love that I'm out of my comfort zone here because it's made me grow as a person. There's also a great community of expats and Vietnam people are wonderfully kind, accommodating and generous as well.

Although I didn't go through the XploreAsia program in Vietnam, I know XploreAsia and their dedication to their students. I also know that their services and support doesn't end when you finish the course. You have them as a life-long resource and networking database. They'll do everything they can to help you even after you've long finished the training program. I know all of this because even after over two and a half years of being away from Thailand, Michael Volpe and the rest of the XploreAsia team have always been there for me whenever I've needed something. And now that they're running a program directly in Vietnam, it will be even better.

My suggestion to anyone reading this would be to come to Vietnam and discover how amazing this place is for yourself. There are so many opportunities for living, working, travelling, fun, and adventure in Vietnam just waiting for you. Let XploreAsia be your guide and help you get started on this fantastic, unforgettable adventure. When I first came to Vietnam, I told myself that I'd only stay for six months and now it's been almost three years. I'm pretty sure that tells you all you need to know. With XploreAsia now operating in Vietnam, it's the perfect time for you to come and see what I'm talking about.

• Course Instructor

XploreAsia opens the door to an incredible adventure

I can say with the utmost confidence that coming to Thailand and becoming an ESL teacher was the best decision I ever made and has been the best thing I have ever done. I owe XploreAsia a great deal for helping me do this. From the very start they provided me with guidance and support. The support staff was excellent with answering any questions I had and assisting me with pre-arrival arrangements. The TESOL training in Hua Hin was of the highest quality, and the instructors helped me prepare everything I would need, and more, to be an effective teacher. I can't speak highly enough of the instructors, like Jaco Kleinloog, who truly care about their students and want them to succeed. Beyond the TESOL training, there was cultural and language training which helped me to understand Thailand and its people. Michael Volpe shared his knowledge of Thai culture, history, and politics with us, and it was so incredibly interesting, informative, and useful as I was starting my Thai adventure. This understanding helped me adjust to the differences between my own country and Thailand, and I love that XploreAsia has made this a component of their course. Pear was also an absolute delight, and she helped all of us learn some basic Thai language so that we could start communicating with local people. She really made learning the language fun and is such a joy to be around. I also have to mention the cultural excursion where we went to visit Buddhist temples, a Muay Thai gym, an elephant sanctuary, a gorgeous beach, and Rescue Paws (XploreAsia's partner company dedicated to rescuing and caring for street dogs). It was absolutely unforgettable, and again, I'm so happy that XporeAsia has made this experience a part of their course. During my month in Hua Hin I made connections that I know will last a lifetime. The XploreAsia network is massive, and ever expanding. Having these connections has provided me with a comfort everyone needs when they begin travelling for the first time away from home. I could never fully express my love and gratitude for everything XploreAsia has done for me, and continues to do for me. Knowing that they are there to support me every step of the way has made my experience more manageable and enjoyable. If you're planning on coming to Southeast Asia to teach English, there's really no better option that XploreAsia! There's a whole world out there waiting for you, and XploreAsia will help you open the door.

TESOL in Thailand and teaching in Vietnam

When considering teaching abroad I was really nervous! I always thought its best to go for it and try than to never try and never know! I always knew if I didn't like it I could always go home. My love for kids, working with them, my love for adventure and travel is what inspired me to take the plunge!

I think I got really lucky with my TESOL program and my job in Vietnam!
I got the best of both worlds! I did my course in Thailand, which was great because I got to make friends that now live and teach in Thailand, I got practical experience at a Thai school and I got to travel on my weekends off around Thailand while completing the course.
The Thailand TESOL course was really informative and because I hadn't done teaching before (only au pairing) I learnt a lot more than if I had just taken an online course. Doing the TESOL course with 20-30 other people provided a safety net and a group of people that become close friends in such a short space of time. No one will ever understand your experience as much as those other course members will.
Everyone on the course quickly became friends and having a support system like that is wonderful. Going through the same culture shocks and experiences were easy to get through knowing you weren't the only one finding it daunting and weird.
I knew I always wanted to go to Vietnam and had no interest in Thailand. Although Thailand did surprise me. The people are friendly, kind and warm. People in Asia are so humbling as they all seem to live such simple lives and they seem so happy with it!

All of the experiences I had in Thailand, I wouldn't have had the chance to experience if I did the TESOL in Vietnam.

However, I also see the benefit of doing the TESOL in Vietnam and then teaching in Vietnam because you get first hand experience with a group, you get to learn the Vietnamese language and find out what all the food is about before you settle down and live here.
I didn't get that, so the first week for me was a bit of a blur.
Trying to figure out what I was actually eating - let alone ordering.

I must say, I made the right choice in choosing Vietnam for myself. Vietnam suits me and I really love it here. I got great advice and help from Megan and Lisa (XploreAsia) on the Vietnamese food and advice on finding a job here. They set up two interviews for me, the first one didn't work out as the job offer was only for a month after my TESOL course ended and the second one was for right after my TESOL course. Everything happens for a reason and I see why the second one worked out better for me.

I am placed and live in Haiphong (northern Vietnam). I live very close to the coast. The nearest tourist hot spot an hour away is Halong Bay! Cat Ba is a 45minute ferry away, which is closer and it's really beautiful too! Great for weekend getaways!

Vietnam is kind of one of those places that you either love it or you hate it but I'm sure mostly LOVE!
My city is the 3rd largest in Vietnam, so the roads are meant to be less crowded/busy that Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh but they're still crazy! Crossing the street is sometimes a daunting task but once you get used to it it becomes normal. What won't become normal is the amount of times that I've caught someone trying to take a photo of me (without my knowledge nor consent) and the fact that everyone here stares at me because I look "different" and I'm Western. Must be because this city doesn't see a lot of tourists as most people go to Cat Ba or Halong Bay from here and don't actually stay here.

My school is an absolute dream. They provide all the course work for me as the students follow set books, all I have to do is put the pages for that class into a lesson plan. The Vietnamese staff at my school are always so helpful and make sure I have everything I need to be comfortable here. I have at least 1 TA (teacher's assistant) in each class. The TA's help control the students (although their behaviour is pretty good) and they translate from English to Vietnamese if children don't understand a concept.

It's really easy and cheap to live in Vietnam on a teacher's salary. Everything here is super cheap and its easy to travel around on "weekends" to other parts of Vietnam. The bus system is pretty reliable and regular here and so are the ferry trips.

I was nervous about giving up my lifestyle in Cape Town, South Africa for a whole new continent but I'm so glad I did it. I've already grown so much through the TESOL course and teaching in Vietnam.

Kids are amazing to work with and the rewards of what you teach them/do for them are greater than you'll ever know. They are so grateful to learn and really make you feel like a happier person.
For those considering XploreAsia and teaching in Vietnam, you should definitely go for it!
Always remember that your comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there!
In the next 20 years, you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do rather than the things you did do. Asia has so much to offer and makes your outlook on life more humble and makes you grateful for the things, friends and family that you have back home!

Vietnam Teaching

I had a great time in Vietnam through XploreAsia's teaching program. The assistance I received not only at the start of my contract but also throughout the year was a great help. If one has a calling for something new and thrilling - give it a bash!

• Course Instructor

Once in a lifetime experience

This is a great program and a great company running it! The thought of leaving everything you know behind and moving to a strange country can be very daunting. Luckily you don't need to be alone. XploreAsia was by my side the whole way, helping me with all the admin and preparation. During my TESOL course, I made very good friends who came to experience the same things I did. Sometimes, I felt scared and unsure, but then I remembered there is a whole team of awesome people ready to help me with anything and everything I need. The Teach Vietnam program is amazing. I've grown so much and learnt a great deal about the Vietnamese culture and history. It truly is an once in a lifetime experience and I am extremely thankful that I was able to experience it.

A fantastic experience

I have just returned home from completing the teaching program in Vietnam and am missing my life there already. It was an incredible experience. Originally signing up for the 2 months program, whilst there I fell in love with the teaching and the lifestyle of living in Vietnam, and so thankfully was able to extend my contract and stay for another three months (time frame chosen by me).

Explore Asia are very supportive. When I was first having trouble finding accommodation they were emailing me and skyping me back straight away to help me with support. They also organise dinners to meet their staff and other people completing similar programs whilst in Vietnam.

Teaching in Vietnam is a great experience. It is a great place to meet new friends and there are so many opportunities to try new things. There were definitely things that I found a challenge, but that's part of the experience. And there's always someone to ask (either Explore Asia or the company I worked at). It's a great place to live and I would recommend this program.