XploreAsia Teach South Korea Program
Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image

XploreAsia Teach South Korea Program

• Course Instructor

Only one semester in, but ready for more!

My name is Maijel, and I am from the United States. This is my second time living in Korea, but this is my first time living in Daegu. I studied abroad at Ewha Womans University in Seoul in 2015 and knew that I wanted to come back to Korea after finishing college in the States. I graduated in May 2016 and was flying out for South Korea in August. Originally, I had been wait-listed by EPIK due to the arrival of my documents, but I was contacted again less than three weeks later saying that I had a position. It was a little stressful to gather everything I needed to move to Korea, but I managed and I'm so thankful for the opportunity I was given.

Right now, I work at two elementary schools teaching grades 3 through 6 at both schools. I have four co-teachers between my schools, and they are very kind to me. My accommodation is located perfectly between both schools, and it's about a 7 minute walk to either school. Even though I've only been teaching for about four months, I have loved my experience teaching English in Daegu so far.

I just finished a four-week, Zootopia and Harry Potter English Camp with my students at my main school. The first two weeks were split into 3~4 grade and 5~6 grade Zootopia Camp, and the last two weeks were split 3~4 Harry Potter and 5~6 Harry Potter. Each week's camp was three days, seven lessons total. We made music videos for Zootopia Camp and played Quidditch and made magic potions in Harry Potter Camp among other activities. Truth be told, it was exhausting, but the experience was extremely rewarding. We had a great time!
As my first semester in Daegu is wrapping up, I can't wait to see what the new school year brings!

I love Korea :)

Teaching in South Korea has been a wonderful experience. At the beginning, I was worried about where I would be placed since there is no way to know your location until you actually arrive in Korea. I was placed in a very small town called Miryang which is in between two major cities, Daegu and Busan. Being a city girl that I am, I was worried about whether I would be able to make the most of my time in Korea whilst living in a small town. This small town of mine turned out to be a very beautiful city with a close knit expat community. Living in a small town means everyone knows everybody. Here in Miryang, I gained a family of English teachers who support each other and who, of course, party together!

I was placed in the biggest elementary school in my city with 19 classes and a total of 475 students to handle (from grade 3 to 6). My workmates are amazing, always ready to help and show me around the country. I definitely gained valuable teaching skill from my co-teachers. In the weekends, I got to explore the rest of the country via train or bus. The office of education in my province also provides a yearly cultural experience trip for the expats. All free of charge.

Everything has been a pleasurable learning experience and will definitely do it again when given another chance!

My year in South Korea

In April 2015, I had just graduated university, was working two dead end jobs and just had my heart broken. I desperately wanted a change and finally got up the courage to do something I had dreamed about doing for years; live and work overseas. I did hours of research trying to decide on a location. It didn't take me long to choose South Korea. Everything I found, read and watched about teaching English in South Korea promised all the things I had been looking for: change, adventure and cultural immersion. I overloaded myself with information and quickly felt totally overwhelmed by where to start and what to do. Getting the right visa looked tricky and I had no idea how to contact schools. That's when I found XploreAsia. From my first contact with them, I received all the information I needed to get started. I was guided through the process by experienced and knowledgeable people who were able to answer all my questions and concerns. The online TESOL was tailored for teachers headed to South Korea and the recruitment process was painless. Once in country, I had all the support I needed to set up my life and assimilate successfully. A highlight of going through XploreAsia was their in-country orientations. I got to attend Korean language lesson and excursions around Seoul that really helped me feel comfortable there and were so much fun.
Now, over a year later, I look back at my time in South Korea fondly. The lifestyle was culturally enriching, fun and so easy to get accustomed to. I felt totally comfortable and safe during my stay and was very sorry to leave. If you are considering teaching in South Korea, I would 100% recommend as it was the best decision I ever made.

Teaching in South Korea

Xplore Asia has been excellent in assisting with my job hunt in South Korea and have been very helpful whenever I have had a problem arise. The aftercare provided is excellent. I am glad that I went through Xplore Asia. South Korea is a beautiful country and I highly recommend anyone who wants to teach to come here!

Kimchee queen

Coming to a new country, straight out of university, and from a small town in South Africa no less, can be extremely daunting. Ultimately you're the one that has to get on the plane and make the most of your own experience, but XploreAsia did the rest. They were there every step of the way, answered all the millions of questions that run through your mind (which now seem so silly), and just made you feel like you weren't alone in this journey. The teaching itself was great as well. I'm almost finished my 1 year contract and very reminiscent of the last year at the moment. Upon review, I have learnt so much from this experience and would highly recommend it. It's not all sunshine and roses all day, but it has overall been amazing and I wouldn't exchange it for the wotold. Good luck! Xx

Teaching in South Korea

My experience teaching English in South Korea has been life-changing. It is challenging in every way and has sometimes been incredibly overwhelming. But these are the moments that have taught me to push forward and to constantly be my better self and that is what is so incredible about this journey. Having the opportunity to be immersed in new culture and language and be surrounded by children every day really opens your heart to the world and all that it has to offer. I would recommend this program to anyone who has an interest in teaching or seeing the world in a new way.

Teaching in South Korea

Xplore Asia provided the reassure that when I arrived in South Korea I would have a job and a place to live. That guarantee as well as their guidance to gather all of the appropriate paperwork was exactly what I needed to feel secure in my decision to live abroad. I want to thank Xplore Asia for giving me the confidence to know I had done everything to make the transition to teach in South Korea a smooth one.