Sri Lanka: Community Development &Teaching
A volunteer with local kids A volunteer with local kids

Sri Lanka: Community Development &Teaching

What an incredible couple weeks this has been!

Although things got off to a tough start in Colombo, you managed to solve the problem right away, and I am so grateful for that. You and Indiani welcomed me into your beautiful home, and made me feel right at home the entire time. There has always been so much food, including delicious mangos and my new favourite =, mangosteen!
All the teachers at the school have been so welcoming and kind to me. The children, although they can be a handful with a bit too much energy, are always so lively and keen to speak English with me. There’s something really great about showing up at school each morning to their bright and smiling faces.

Our trip to Kanay, Dambulla, Sigirya, and Kaudulla was unforgettable. Thank you so much for showing me around and being such a wonderful tour guide. Such an experience to climb Siginya first thing in the morning, then to watch the elephants from so close up.

Thank you also for being such a good driver! When anyone else was driving, I did feel like I might die at any moment but always felt like I was in safe hands with you behind the wheel! Such a funny sigh here to see the dogs and cows crossing the road everywhere - I am very impressed with their skills of not being hit!

I also managed to learn so much from Dr. Sumal and the nurses at the clinic. I really appreciate you arranging this for me.

All in all, I loved my time here in Sri Lanka, and will definitely be back. So many more places to see and I can’t wait to stay in your garden! Hopefully next time will be a longer visit, and you will not be able to get rid of me.

Thank you for everything - to you and your family. See you again soon!

One of the most amazing, enlightening and overwhelming adventures

What can I say about this experience? It has been one of the most amazing, enlightening and overwhelming adventures I've ever had. Starting with the host family, not only did they make me feel at home, but part of them as well, with the great amount of care and attention, I never felt as an outsider. They had an exceptional sense of hospitality and I really admired it. Likewise at the school where I was volunteering, the teachers were wonderful and helped whenever I needed, and the principal welcomed me with opened arms and heart, and tried to make my work there as comfortable as possible. Couldn't have asked for more! As for the teaching experience, I could only say it definitely was overwhelming as I learned from the students as much as I taught them. And the amount of love I was receiving made the teaching a lot better and more interesting! Another part of my volunteering journey was at the tsunami camp, and despite the fact that I was going there few times a week to simply hand out milkshakes and biscuits for the kids, the excitement and big smiles that I got whenever I came by made this small act feel a lot more, something that every person that shares the same passion, the passion of helping people, should experience. One last event that I had the honor of being part of, despite the very short period, was to help young monks with their English. Spending time with them was absolutely astonishing; they are really friendly and devoted people who are eager to learn English and would love nothing more than to get to know every person that comes to meet them. It was enlightening to get to know them on a personal level. Regarding the country, Sri Lanka is, without doubt, one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen. I had the opportunity to visit so many places such as Kandy, Matale, Dambulla, Sigiriya, Nuwara Eliya, Adam's Peak, and many other places, and the amount of green seen is indescribable. Living there gives a person the benefit of living both in the nature far from all the turbulence, so that one can attain a certain level of connection to the surrounding as well as inner peace and serenity, but also to be part of the city where everything is available. The country has also an extremely rich history and culture, two things that drew me even deeper into Sri Lanka. What also made this experience better are the friendly people who constantly helped whenever needed and offered companionship. Sri Lankans not only love to lend a helping hand but are also very interested in meeting and conversing with travelers. The one thing that shouldn't be forgotten is the food, rich and delicious with so many flavors that burst in the mouth with every bite. I definitely loved it here, especially that I'm a huge fan of spicy food! Finally, a big thanks to Mr. Charley, who if it weren't for him, nothing of this would have ever happened. One of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met, he made all of this possible. Not only was he like a father, but like a brother and a friend. I'm more than happy and honored, to say the least, to be part of this experience. It is something that I would gladly do again, for sure. And for those interested in volunteering, I'd say there's no better place than to start right here, in Sri Lanka!