Asia: Medical Volunteering & Internships
A volunteer with local kids A volunteer with local kids

Asia: Medical Volunteering & Internships

Thank you!!!

My 3-week stay at Sri Lanka has flown by in a blink of an eye, and the whole experience as made unforgettable thanks to you, my host family, Hirantha, Rakitha, nurses and doctors at Colombo East Base and the rest of the people I met along the journey.

I really do appreciate your attentiveness ranging from hospital experience to the quality of meals I was receiving ( where, by the way, were superb). I am grateful to have received the opportunity to explore the Sri Lankan healthcare system considering the lack of qualifications from my side.

The wonderful weekend trips to Yala, Mirissa, Galle, Sigoriga, and Kandy exposed me to the multitude of faces Sri Lanka has to offer - which, I realized upon travelling, was too many for my length of stay here.
Maybe one day I will return to Sri Lanka again to further explore the beautiful country and maybe with skill sets that will truly make a positive impact by medical volunteering once again, thank you Charley, Hirantha Kasun and everybody here in Ceylon.

Come visit Hong Kong/ Japan/ Norway/ Sweden!

It was amazing!

Thank you for having allowed us to live this unique experience who was very important to do for us during our studies. Your welcome and the welcome from the family was so great. You had an exceptional sense of hospitality.

During the training we were able to discover a different health system and new procedure of care at the general hospital kalutara.
It was very interesting for us.

Thank you again for all that you had made for us. All the small attentions … *king coconuts, reserve of turtle, the local fruits, visit of kalutara and SIH card).

Thank you everything, we keep an excellent memory of this training period. It was amazing!

- Helene Gaullier, Chloe Fuirce, Pauline Baeard

Thank you!

Firstly of course- THANK YOU! My time in Sri Lanka has been so much fun! From Hasun and his family being warm and welcoming to the ETU, surgical, and operating theater staff being friendly to the dun outings - everything has been pleasant and I’ll cherish it. I truly appreciate all the time and effort you put into planning my stay here. You locked me up from the hospital, gave my friend and I room and board, coordinated my home stay and hospital work, arranged mine and Luka’s outing to Jala National Park. The list goes on! Your hard work does not go unnoticed. I also appreciate the help of Hirantha, Rartltha, and Danushka and everything they did to help make my stay more comfortable.

Kasun and his family were AMAZING! Absolutely irresistible! As was the food- Kasun can really cook!
The nurses and staff were extremely welcoming. I even went out with a few of them of their day off!
Overall it was a pleasant experience. I would overall recommend the hospital to nursing students or nurses who just graduated as i believe the medical placement will be much more beneficial. I am grateful I was able to explore your beautiful country. I hope to return again someday.

I am very very happy with everything

I must say I am very very happy with everything I am able to experience here. The hospital work is honestly amazing as in the nurses and doctors as very friendly and try to include me in what they are doing and are explaining as much as possible. I am also very happy with the family I am staying at since they are eternally welcoming and try to fulfill every wish I have. I am glad that they have a child approx. my age so that i don't feel as alone and I think it is very important to place the volunteer somewhere where they have company in their age group. The only thing I am a little sad about is that because Colombo is such a big city the family place is a bit outside everything so it is time consuming to go anywhere after work as I would love to expose a little more of Sri Lanka and see many many more different attractions.
Still I am completely pleased with my volunteering experience. Through the family lifestyle I am actually exposed to the Sri Lankan culture and become a little familiar with the language.
Therefore, once again a very big thank you. :)

We kept an excellent memory of this training period

We would like to thank you for your kindness. It was a very good profound experience for us. We felt very lucky to have met all those people at the hospital. We have discovered an other way to care, another culture. The nurses have been benevolent, they surprise us to learn other procedures. It was very interesting for our future job. We felt useful and we have work with nurses with pleasure.
The family is very nice, they are doing everything for us. We are so glad to have met them. We are going to miss the. Thank you for everything.
We keep an excellent memory of this training period.

- The french student nurses.
Ludioine Loew Pinnert
Mathilde Rostouan
Sarah Couraillon
Adeline Herr
Camille Thion
Juliette Cocmet

Thank you so much for this wonderful experience!

Thank you so much for this wonderful experience! Our stay in panadura has been wonderful and exciting. Without you we would not have been able to experience everything we have done. Eating at mango mango, going to get our uniforms, blue waters and the field clinic.

We appreciate your kindness and hospitality :)

Hope to see you again in Norway or Sri Lanka.

- Kpersti Sundfor Tommerbakke, Lisa Vu, Mant Nilsen, Gina Kornelia Bruun Toruik, Svana Heimisditter Danbolt

People always smile back to me.

The work place was good and the volunteers were well accepted. They trained us well and the volunteer was interesting, challenging, and important for me, but I only got feedback from one doctor who I was working with. Nurses and other doctors did not talk to me. Experiencing Sri Lanka as a volunteer, I want to explore new job in the field of agriculture. The best experiences I have had while volunteering there were people always smile back to me, I ate different fruits, I met Laurine (another volunteer), and I learned a new culture living with a family. The least enjoyable experiences that I had though were there was no AC at the house and hospital, and few people speak English at the hospital so it was hard to fit and learn more. I think Doctors need to take advantage of volunteers. We came to volunteer to "work" so I was hoping I was going to more helpful.

We were well accepted by the work place and we were trained enough to carry out our assignments. I find the volunteer work interesting, challenging and important in my career, but I haven't received a lot of feedback from the staffs, doctors and nurses of the hospital. It was nice to be able to practice some of my nursing skills, and the host family was very nice. The meals made by the host family were delicious and authentic, however, perhaps more fresh products. I recommend the program to students with clinical experience or new nursing graduates. Those groups of people would benefit the most. Experienced nursing don't learn anything new.

Generally very good

Volunteers were generally accepted but with some exceptions. We received enough training to carry out our assignments. The work was interesting and important but not really challenging for a pre-med student since I opted to observe more as I am under-qualified to carry out certain tools. We were not provided with sufficient feedback by those we work with. The weekend trips and conversing with the staffs at the hospital were the best experience I've had while volunteering. The Wi-Fi at the homestay is (was) a minor problem. Other than that, generally very good. Thank you, Charley and Hivanthi and host family for the amazing hospitality. It was great to explore Sri Lanka and learn many things at the hospital.