Counseling/Psychology Internships in Cape Town, South Africa
VACorps participants VACorps participants

Counseling/Psychology Internships in Cape Town, South Africa

Life changing

The things I have seen and the things I have done are impossible to describe in a few sentences. Being able to grow and learn every waking second, even on my walk to the grocery store, have been such a blessing. I have learned so much about myself interning at Ihata Shelter, but also through the painfully slow, overly friendly, and incredibly unique African culture. But if one thing stands out to me the most, this place has taught me a lot about love. Loving every single person I meet, and showing them nothing but love. Loving nature, and continuing to be awestruck by it because it never gets old. And most importantly, loving myself.

I will never forget the moment when one of the women at the shelter threw her arms around me after coming back from my short trip to Johannesburg and sneaking me to her room to give me African sweets. I felt so much purpose and belonging. But I will also never forget the moment the same women, who I had so much hope for, left the shelter without finishing the program. Through my dismay and heartbreak, I was reaffirmed social work is the career for me. I will never forget that hilarious, strong, loving and beautiful woman, and she will always serve as a fuel for my future career. Cape Town has made my heart skip a million beats, but has also broken it.

The culture, the people, the adventure, the mountains, the unknown, the challenges, the thrill, the incredible friends from all parts of the world. Finally, the women at Ihata shelter, I have loved. I am still shocked these women who have seen inexplicable and deplorable hardship were still willing to accept and show so much love to the blonde American girl who says "literally" several hundred times an hour and has a concerningly difficult time understanding foreign accents.

Thank you VAC for giving this to me!!!

YIPSA in VACorps

VACorps set me up with YIPSA and it was incredible. I worked hands on with therapy and prisoners, I had my own clients at my at risk youth centre, and I connected with people in the mental health field. I was exposed to such a multicultural experience at a crucial point in my development as a psychologist and VAC helped me to accomplish that.

International Psychology Internship Experience

I had such a great experience interning through VAC at a psychiatric inpatient hospital in South Africa. I learned so much at my internship, the placement was a perfect match. Interning abroad was an important life experience for me to grow both personally and professionally, but also to set me apart from other applicants when applying to doctoral programs. I am proud to say I have received offers of admission from three Clinical Psychology PhD programs and all the schools wanted to talk about my internship in Africa during the interviews! If you are on the fence, I would tell you to absolutely go! It can open so many doors for you! If you would like to hear more about my amazing experience check out my alumni interview at this link: http://www.goabroad.com/interviews/leah-kaylor-2014-program-participant

My psychology internship in Cape Town

I participated in a psychology internship in Cape Town and thought the highlight of my internship was the ability to actually shadow the therapy sessions going on in the clinic. In addition, I felt as if I was an equal to the staff - being able to observe everything they did and attending all of their meetings. It was great to receive that type of exposure for someone interested in Psychology.

I choose Cape Town because I had never been to Africa before and I wanted something more than just a simple internship at home. I wanted a learning experience where I could not only dive into greater depth of experience in my field but also learn cultural differences between South Africa therapy sessions and those in America. Even my morning commute was something incredible. There was not a second in this city that I did not love and it was a great combination of work hard and play hard. I only wish that I had stayed longer and would recommend that participants rather arrive in June or July rather than August, as I did if you are planning to participate in the VACorps program during your summer break from college.

Never be sad in Africa

My internship taught me to be comfortable with my own initiative. I was alone for the first six weeks so I had to get over being shy. During my internship, I have had a platform to practice my social working skills which has taught me a lot. The staff was amazing and very inspirational too so I have also learned a lot from them personally.