Volunteer with a Global/Public Health Project in Peru
Vive Peru Vive Peru

Volunteer with a Global/Public Health Project in Peru

The ultimate public health experience

Words cannot even begin to express the impact my experience with Vive Peru has had on my career and academic life. After graduating with my BS in Public Health, I was looking for an abroad experience that was based in public health, allowed me to practice my Spanish (in other words no too advanced), and wasn't extremely expensive. After hearing great reviews from other classmates in my degree cohort, I decided to apply for the 2-month stay. The application process was a bit lengthy but once it was completed, I was swiftly accepted and able to start to process of planning my trip. Everything from the travel to the orientation week was really well planned and made me feel safe and comfortable in my new home. I didn't realize how rusty my Spanish was until I was in Peru, but my Peruvian host mother made me feel right at home, helped me with my basic Spanish, and did everything she could to make me feel at ease. My homestay was walking distance from the Vive Peru office and the commute quickly became one of the favorite parts of my day.
My duties with Vive Peru were focused on health education, parasitic prevention, and volunteer coordination. I was responsible for programming the health education for an after-school program aimed at ages 14 and under in the vulnerable neighborhood of Senor de Los Milagros. I developed materials for Community Health Workers, or Promotoras, including home visit scripts, educational materials, and community activities. Additionally, I led interview skills training for the Promotoras to improve the impact of the home visits within the community. Alongside the Promotoras, I conducted 15 qualitative home visit interviews to assess general health needs and parasitic risk factors within the home. As part of a nationwide effort, I participated in the Peruvian Parasitic Prevention Campaign by providing education and distributing antiparasitic medication to over 200 individuals in neighborhoods, school, and markets. Lastly, since my time in Peru was longer than the average volunteer, I facilitated orientation activities for other incoming public health volunteers.
Overall, the experience really deepened my appreciation for public health and vulnerable populations. My Spanish improved considerably along with my ability to adapt in difficult situations. I made lifelong friends with the coordinators I worked with and have plans to return and continue working with the organization during my Masters in Public Health.

A life changing experience

Coming as a new volunteer to Peru was a scary and exciting thought. Vive Peru not only made my experience safe and comfortable, but memorable with plenty of activities that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The Global/Public Health program in Trujillo, Peru immersed me in the beautiful Peruvian culture, while also highlighting the health challenges that these communities face. Us volunteers were very hands-on with health campaigns, school lessons, home visits, a mural, and other program components that directly affected the community. I really felt as though I was part of the community and making a difference, rather than an observing stranger. Apart from the fulfilling week of work, the weekends were left to us to explore the many attractions of Peru. I have made lifelong connections and friends from the 6 weeks that I was volunteering in Trujillo. The home stays, program activities, and staff all exceeded my expectations as a volunteer.