Vantage TEFL In-Class Course
Vantage TEFL Certification Header Image Vantage TEFL Certification Header Image

Vantage TEFL In-Class Course

A dual language teacher

As a native Russian speaker, I had my doubts about passing this class. I was worried my English was not good enough. I was also concerned I’d be the youngest student in the class of experienced instructors.

So I spent a lot of time researching on teachers’ training course programs trying to find the best fit for me. Vantage had one of the more serious websites and that was a key attraction. And I also got immediate replies to all my questions—and there were a lot of them. I figured that if that had this much time for me before I enrolled, they’d give me extra attention and really take care of me as a student. That was exactly the case.
Having said that, I didn’t expect the course would be as hard as it was. Vantage TEFL course is intensive, so you most likely be a little exhausted during the class, but in a creative and good way. You’ll learn a lot of very important teaching techniques and methodologies like planning lessons, managing classes, eliciting target language and teaching aids. Vantage’s trainers guided me at every stage. Almost every day I really saw myself growing as a teacher.

At my previous school, I was a teacher of both English and Mandarin. The teaching techniques I learned here—although taught within an English context—will be great when I teach Chinese as well.
I would like to thank Chris, for being both an extraordinary teacher and mentor. Thank you for your patience and feedback you gave me. Also, the classes on creating your own “Power Resume” as well as the job interview techniques sessions were super helpful as I had no I idea about this as I’ve never studied anything on this before.

So, thank you, Vantage TEFL for helping me to become 100% confident and to find advantages of being a young teacher and a non-native speaker.

An experience I won’t forget

My TEFL experience is a course I will never forget. I wanted to explore abroad and the opportunity to teach English was something I learned from friends at university. However, coming to a country with so many people from my cozy New Zealand seemed like I was biting off more than I could chew.

Vantage immediately put me to rest. The course director was super helpful in the weeks leading up to my TEFL studies. I was provided with very useful information regarding visas, accommodation, transport—everything I needed to know to get settled in Bangkok and complete the course.

On the first day, we met Chris, our trainer. We bonded with our peers and the dove straight into teaching theory. I was the youngest in the class ), but we were all treated as equals as we were all in the same situation—training to be professional English teachers and finding out what that really meant.

The course wasn’t a piece of cake—a lot of work needed to be done but they provided more than enough resources and support for the tasks to be completed to the highest standard. Due to Vantage’s relatively small class sizes, it was very personal and any queries were answered instantly. The trainers had a lot of time for each of us.

I truly loved teaching at the nursing college—where we did our observed teaching practices. It was a wonderful learning experience. Observations from the trainers and our peers helped us improve after each practice lesson. I particularly found this part of the course the most important component in my development of a teacher. I couldn’t imagine doing an online-only TEFL and missing what they call the practicum.

Vantage encouraged me to reach my full potential. They really built my confidence. They truly go out of their way to give their students the very best preparation to teach English and become great teachers. I feel ready and able to teach English. Thank you, Chris, Kevin, Ryan and the rest of the Vantage team.

Which TEFL to choose?

There are too many TEFL courses in Thailand to choose from. I read many reviews. Far too many outlined how I could have a Thai holiday while studying to be a teacher.

I didn’t have much confidence if they weren’t really talking about the inner workings of the TEFL course itself. My bottom line was that I wanted to become a professional teacher. I’m pretty sure the beaches would still be there after I completed my training.

After my initial internet phase, I decided to actually visit a short list of schools to see them running their TEFL in action. That really help separate the wheat from the chaff. Secondly, the program I choose had to be internationally recognized and accredited by a reputable educational Institution. I learned early that Thailand’s Ministry of Education doesn’t accredit or license any specific TELF program so programs that said only this lost ranking points. Secondly, they had to have at least 6 hours of actual observed teaching practice. Thirdly, the trainers had to meet, but exceed stringent academic requirements for teaching ESL. You’d be surprised how many provider websites don’t even tell you who—and how qualified—their trainers are.

Finally, we found a TEFL course that met all of the above requirements—Vantage.

Our class size was relatively small so we received a very high level of personalized. The Lead Trainer has an extensive background in teaching English and in developing course curriculums and their teaching materials. He really went out of his way to see how was developing into a professional teacher. I was complimented on where I had done well. And given a ‘challenge’ to areas I was still weak. The approach led me to become better in every observed teaching practice I did. Importantly—as this course is intensive—he has a great sense of humor which makes the class engaging, interesting, and most of all—fun.

The other trainers were just as skilled and proficient. We learned how to format a "power resume" from Vantage’s Jobs Coach and how to make a resume stand out in a 10-second scan.

We also “sat on the other side of the desk” as we had a Foreign Language Trainer that focused on some basic conversation of the Thai as well as some of the important cultural norms.

Besides receiving a detailed education on lesson plans, grammar review, and classroom management, I felt that Vantage has provided us the necessary tools and a solid foundation to begin teaching. We got a world-class teacher training program with an American accreditation at Vantage. I certainly feel that I made the right choice.

• Course Instructor

Already safe and secure, but…

I worked for a diversified corporate financial services and insurance company for the past decade. So I had a very good and secure job. However, in my heart, I knew I wanted to teach. But I was more than reluctant to resign and move to Thailand to complete my TEFL course and start over with a new life as a teacher.

So I emailed Kevin, the course director, with all my concerns regarding their institute and what they had to offer. He was very professional and explained that the course will be very intensive, but rewarding at the end. This was the place teachers were born, he assured me.

My first day on the course I was quite relieved. Vantage has an excellent Lead Trainer and it was also great that I had the best fellow trainees that I could have ever asked for. We immediately came together as one solid group—learning from and about each other. The course was very well structured with teaching theories, methodologies, and teaching approaches

Then we actually had to teach in front of real students. I had no teaching experience and I was not confident at all to stand in front of a live class. My first teaching lesson was OK, but because I was very nervous, not a good as I could have been. The feedback I got from Vantage really helped me in the second—and the rest of the observed classes I taught. I’m now very confident. I can now design a lesson plan, worksheets, flashcards, games and power-point presentation. Vantage’s course also covered how technology is becoming a big part of our teaching and I’m now able to use stuff like an LMS (a Learning Management System).

I got a lot of one-on-one job help—like building my resume and cover letters—after my course was completed. I’m truly grateful for the opportunity to have worked with amazing people and build lifelong relationships from this programme. Vantage has launched my teaching career and developed me to be a professional English teacher

Real professionals!

I had googled up a number of other TEFL courses before choosing Vantage. Far too many were telling me about riding an elephant or lying on a beach and not all that focused on telling me how I could learn to teach properly.

Vantage was exactly what I was looking for. An intensive course that pushes you out of your comfort zone and brings out the very best of you. If you are looking for and non-taxing TEFL course, having a
I tropical holiday for a month and get your certificate at the end, this is probably not your place.
However, if you’re serious about actually wanting to learn how to teach properly, Vantage has exceeded my expectations in every way.

Before the course, I had a long list of personal concerns that I seriously thought would hold me back—some of which I thought might be insurmountable. I thought I was too young, I thought I wasn't boisterous enough, wasn't qualified enough…the list goes on. Yet Vantage dealt with every one of my concerns in ways that I would have never thought of.

The Vantage class sizes are small so I got a lot of personal attention. What really blew me away was how determined the trainers were to go above and beyond—putting everything into the delivery of the course. These guys are motivated much more by their desire to do the best job they can rather than the financial compensation they receive for doing so.

I would recommend Vantage to anyone who really wants to learn how to teach. These trainers are pros!h

• Course Instructor

An old dog learns new tricks

I’ve taught for 15 + years abroad in places like China, Turkey, and Korea. I consider myself to be a highly competent teacher who felt very confident in the classroom.

Nonetheless, something I wanted to add to my range of teaching skills—not just for the qualification—but also to know how the latest digital technologies and new teaching methodologies have been impacting second language acquisition.

This course far exceeded my expectations.

There are many strengths to Vantage’s TEFL certification program: the professionalism and the knowledge of the instructors, the genuine interest they take in the development of the competency and abilities of their trainees, and their TEFL curriculum which had the right amount and sequencing of the course materials they covered.

We also covered some supplementary material on student assessment and eLearning platforms, which was pretty much new material for me.

Another great aspect of this program was the class size. Some of the TEFL programs I researched had 15 or even 20 students in a course. Large classes always involve much more management and less actual classroom instruction. Vantage smaller class sizes struck a much better balance between the two—particularly as it helped us bond as a group.

We did our practicum (the observed teaching practices), at a Thai college with Thai undergraduate students. This too was great as our students were too old to be kids but too young to be proper adults. And as their tuition is sponsored in diverse ways by both local and national governmental organizations, I found them to be particularly diligent students.

I would recommend Vantage’s program without reservation to any prospective teacher looking for a career in the education sector or even an experienced teacher who wants to update outdated skills.

A confident English teacher

This program gave me the self-confidence and all the right tools to overcome my weakness in becoming a good teacher.I was a little concerned about teaching English is not my native language and the idea that this could be a problem followed me all along the first week of my training.

The school environment was really nice and the training team was highly professional. I always felt great during all the classes, but it was the professionalism of my TEFL trainer that was the was the most important element that turned my initial reluctance about teaching English into strong self-confidence. For me, this was the key to completing this course successfully.

Throughout the lessons and with the aid of all the course materials in Vantage’s curriculum, I had the chance not just to study and learn but to improve my teaching skills through planned practice and expert feedback.

We had 6 hours of observed teaching in an accredited college—non-English speaking students—that made a huge difference in knowing what to do and what to avoid. For me, this real live classroom experience was the key ingredient in learning how to teach.

Today I feel proud to be able to teach English.

How I learned to teach

One thing that really appealed to me was the small size of Vantage’s TEFL courses. Their website advertised there would be no more than 8 trainees on my course and that certainly was the case for my class. We all got the individual attention we needed—and then some—as we analyzed our own and each other’s teaching in a productive and meaningful way.

I was very apprehensive as I started this course with no prior teaching experience. I wasn’t good at speaking in front of people and am generally a shy person. Nonetheless, this course gave me the skills I needed to confidently teach a lesson. I learned through trial and error that language teaching is more about motivating your students to speak. And it’s not about being able to deliver a lecture or presentation. Their lead trainer Chris taught me how to structure, plan, and execute a great lesson and then how to keep the attention and interest of a class, which made for highly motivated students.

I had some great experiences during our observed practice teaching sessions. Without the 6 hours of “practicum” teaching we were required to do, I don’t think I would feel half as confident as I do now about becoming a professional teacher. At first, I was very nervous, and the first lesson or two were discouraging, but by the sixth lesson I felt much more confident and knew what to expect from the class and from myself. The feedback from Chris and from my classmates was invaluable as it encouraged me to develop the teacher I knew I had within me. For me, facing a classroom was very hard at first, and there was a lot of work to stay on top of, but it’s all part of the intensive and immersive experience that Vantage provides. Now I can’t wait to get back into a classroom and teach!

I also got a mountain of help from Kevin, their Jobs Coach. He sat with me one-on-one was we developed what he calls a Power Resume. We also made a video and cover letter and then he helped me navigate the job market. What was cool was that he did this the week after the TEFL course was over.

Overall, the course was challenging, engaging, and highly rewarding. But you’ll need to be prepared to step outside of your comfort zone, and you will have some rewarding experiences. Facing a classroom was very hard at first, and there was a lot of work to stay on top of, but its all part of the intensive and immersive experience that Vantage provides.

An experienced teacher takes TEFL

When I did my TEFL, I was already teaching kindergarten in Burma. I already had a lot of experience teaching kids in an English speaking environment in a real classroom.

But while I was an experienced teacher, I felt I needed more of a grounding in teaching languages—specifically English as a second language. I thought this would make me a more rounded teacher.

I was right. I gained a lot from Vantage’s TEFL course as I have learned about the methodologies and techniques in teaching English a second language.

Vantage’s TEFL program was comprehensive. It delivered everything it said it would and it offered much more. They are also a Cambridge test center, so we also studied about how to assess a student’s English proficiency levels, the CEFR and the testing methods with which to do this. They gave me new tools that were invaluable in understanding how diverse students deal with their second language acquisition. I’ve since discovered this isn’t really covered in other TEFL courses.

This course is intensive. You’ll be more than busy for the four weeks, but at the same time, even for an experienced teacher like me. I felt like I learned a tremendous amount.

The entire Vantage training team was really helpful and they really put my needs and interest first. I would highly recommend Vantage to anyone who wants to become a professional teacher

• Course Instructor

All my concerns were answered

My qualifications and experience were in engineering, so I was worried about the success in changing careers. Added to this I was concerned that my status as a non-native English speaker would make becoming a teaching almost impossible.

On top of that Vantage’s course was intensive. Each night I had a lot of reading to do. Having said that, the course material was invaluable. I was taught both theories and techniques on teaching. But it was only when I really taught in a real live classroom—under the direction and observation of Lead Trainer Chris—that I really grew confident in my ability to teach.

Vantage also has their own specialist Jobs Coach. Kevin taught me to speak ‘skills’ to the marketplace. And to then reposition those skill to the teaching profession. So when I told them I was a champion debater in school they taught me to position those debating skills and emphasized how I could both motivate and coach my students’ in their second language acquisition.

Something must have worked. I actually found my first English teaching job working part-time teaching kids during my last week of the course.

Then within a month after graduation, I got two offers, both offering a year-long contract with a Thai Work Permit. I don’t know if I couldn’t have done this if I didn’t have the support and training I got from the Vantage team.

• Published Content

The birth of a new teacher

Vantage first taught us to develop an effective lesson plan. Then the lead trainer would give each trainee a private consultation on their plan before they stepped into the classroom. At first, I had to make a number of revisions, but after a week or so I got this down pretty well.

The feedback I got after each practice class really help me determine how good my lesson plan was. And the feedback on my teaching was priceless. It helped me immeasurably in my development as a professional teacher.

Vantage really excels in job preparation. We had separate Jobs Coach who showed us how to develop a Power Resume. He also trained us in effective interviewing techniques like how to detail our past successes to a new situation. With his guidance, we crafted a great resume cover letters that showcased my skills. We also produced a video how I could be an asset to my future students in any institution.

I had a number of offers in the first few weeks after graduation even from schools who said they only wanted native speakers.

The bottom line was that Vantage’s program was a great facilitator in making my successful career change. They are a highly coordinated and professional team. I would recommend Vantage without hesitation.

• Course Instructor

A reputable program with an international accreditation

First and foremost and I wanted a reputable TEFL program with an international accreditation.

In doing research on which TEFL I wanted to do in Thailand, I was a bit surprised that far too many courses gave a lot of information about the touristic interests in their area, but not so much information on the actual TEFL course itself like its teaching methodologies.

Looking at Vantage TEFL’s website, I discovered the key areas of study within my TEFL course and the teaching methodologies. They also had very good information on the English Teaching Industry—such as the demand for English teachers—as well as the future trends within the ESL industry. I also liked the webpage on Careers within ESL good to explore potential career paths that led from teaching.

The actual course was even better. There was a great deal of information to cover, but the trainers were always there and always supportive. It was intensive but engaging and always interesting. The course book and supplementary materials were very comprehensive. I intend to keep my copy for a valuable reference during my teaching career.

Even if you’re not quite sure about being an English teacher this course is very worthwhile as the resume writing and interview techniques we covered were also highly professional.

If you are a non-native speaker, as I am, they give you a lot of tips on how to succeed in interviews—particularly those that advertise for native speakers only.

I like to thank the Vantage training team for such an incredible experience at Vantage. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone looking for a world class TEFL training course.

• Course Instructor

A volunteer gets formal teacher training

I first tried teaching English to a class of young students through a volunteer program in Cambodia. I was given no formal training. I just was left to my own devices and ‘wing it’ in the classroom. But I found I loved teaching, I loved making a difference in student’s lives. I also knew that if I wanted to become a professional teacher and really good at what I was teaching that I would need formal training to do it to the best of my abilities.

Vantage’s TEFL course was taught by Chris who is an outstanding teacher who cares a tremendously about his students. That’s a quality that’s not easy to find today. The 4-week course is intensive given the teaching theory and methodology you’ll study , the lesson planning, your observed teaching practice and exams. And finally the portfolio you will need to build. Chris guides you through all this step-by-step and you’ll have a lot of fun throughout the process. He gave me a ton of constructive feedback after each of my observed teaching practices, I improve significantly with every new lesson I taught.

On the jobs front, they have a separate trainer. Kevin is their “Jobs Coach. He works with you developing what they call a Power Resume. Something must have worked because previously
I had sent my old resume out to several companies before and didn’t get a single response. After sending out my new Vantage-style Power Resume, I was literally contacted by every single school I solicited.

Bottom line: if you are serious about a professional career as an English teacher, take your TEFL here. These guys are highly experienced and know what they’re doing in spades.

• Course Instructor

A lot of personal attention

All I knew was that I really wanted to teach, but didn’t know how to actually do that—other than what I remember in my schools days. At first, I assumed that the course would be pretty uncomplicated, not take too much time, and not be too difficult.

I was dead wrong.

I had to relearn a lot of grammar. And I was taught and tested on phonetics. I still a bit surprised I got through all that.

My observed practice teaching sessions are where I really honed my teaching craft. I was encouraged to use skills and training techniques I used in previous jobs—adapted for second language teaching.
I got a ton of great feedback from the trainers—and my co-trainees--that made a big difference in my next class.

Nothing about the course was easy. It was a lot of work. But it was great fun at the same time.
Throughout the entire course, I was taken out of my comfort zone, but the bottom line is I now can successfully teach. I’m now completely confident that I can walk into a classroom anywhere and teach anyone English.

Even after the course was finished, Vantage gave me a lot of personal help. After I short holiday, I came back and got a face-to-face resume writing session! Vantage wants you to become a teacher who can make a difference in your students’ lives.

If you’re interested in teaching career overseas, check out Vantage’s TEFL program.

An excellent world-class course

This course was excellent and the Vantage instructors and staff were professional and always engaging.

Chris, the lead instructor was highly knowledgeable in the grammar review He gave one to one help with lesson plans as well as offered helpful feedback for the teaching practicum. He has some real-world insights and practical “what to expect” for teaching for Business English with corporate clients, private tutoring, and teaching at Thai schools. Overall, Chris was highly professional, helpful and dedicated to getting your best work out of you.

Kevin, their Jobs Coach presented some great overviews on Cambridge testing for language levels. He offered on the ground knowledge of the local area which was helpful to many in my class. Kevin taught us how to craft a Power Resume and held special classes on interviewing techniques and the job search process.

Ryan is their foreign language specialist and he taught introductory classes on Thai language and Thai culture workplace do’s and don’ts.

I highly recommend the TEFL certification offered at Vantage. The course content was excellent and the teaching practicum at the Nurses' College was great in that gives you valuable classroom experience.

American accreditation

I wanted an international accreditation for my TEFL, and the American University Accreditation from Fort Hays State University in Kansas was an important consideration in selecting Vantage for my TEFL training.

Vantage’s TELF course was great. The course itself was intensive. We were given an entire course book and additional supplementary materials to get through in just one month!

The observed teaching practices we did with university students was heart of the training. Yes, the teaching theories and methodologies are important, but you develop your own professional style only when you stand in front of real live students and start practicing your own teaching techniques.
After each observed teaching session, I got extremely valuable feedback from the TEFL trainers. They would also present us a challenge to tackle for the next upcoming teaching session. They wanted to see more than just a single good teacher performance. We were being coached for overall growth in each and every individual session as the practicum went on.

I also had to take detailed notes as I observed my fellow co-trainees teach. I discussed these with both them and our lead trainer. I learned a lot from doing this as well.

Doing my TEFL training at Vantage in Bangkok was a fantastic experience. Thai students are very polite and well behaved. This program is world-class.

A comprehensive course

For one month, I learned something new about teaching in every class session. And yes this class is intensive but I was guided every step of the way.

After each observed teaching practice, I was given extensive feedback and that really helped me realize I was doing better than I initially thought.

I was then given a new challenge for my next class I taught which addressed areas that the trainers thought I still needed to work on. The lead trainer was excellent and always available for any help. The way he taught each unit and gave feedbacks was very effective.

They have a separate “Jobs Coach” trainer who showed me how to create my own Power Resume. We actually sat down and did that after the course finished.

I would also highly recommend taking this curse to anyone who is serious about teaching English. You leave with the requisite teaching skills,

Additionally, I got coached on interviewing skills and got plugged into Vantage’s network of employment opportunities and that included their partnership with a major online teacher recruiter.

Bangkok teaching

I did Vantage’s “Combined Class.” The first half my class was completed online back in the US. I then came out to Thailand to do my observed teaching practices—what Vantage calls the ‘practicum’—in front of Thai students.
The online portion was primarily studying about teaching methodologies and grammar. While the online course was extensive, it didn’t give me the complete confidence that I was ready to teach. This is why the practicum was extremely useful. This part of the course helped me gain confidence in my abilities as a teacher. Both trainers were always there to support me and my fellow students with any concerns that we had.
Apart from the practicum Vantage invited me to join their in-class course to participate in the peer teaching activities of the class. The peer teaching is really a great ‘first step’ in getting ready to teach. All of us were very nervous to teach for the first time in front of a group of students, but peer teaching really eased our worries. It allowed me to rehearse what I was going to do in front of the students and be less nervous in front of them.
To sum it up, I feel I now ready to teach and I have so much more confidence than before I started the course. The Vantage training I got was second to none.

• Course Instructor

Proven over and over again

I initially considered programs that "guaranteed" teaching jobs. After speaking to the Course Director for a number of hours, I realized that Vantage would deliver a course that was much more in tune to my particular requirements.

I was completely correct about getting individual service.

We did our observed teaching practices to nursing students who were great to teach. We were first taught lesson planning, classroom management and provided with a ton of resources that make the transition into teaching super easy.
We had seven in our class, which I believe is about the right size.

Their “Jobs Coach” spent an afternoon with me going my background so that I could position myself by highlighting my skills and previous results.

Vantage takes the view that too many resumes are really just a laundry list of traditional job duties. Vantage not only highlighted my skills and taught me to showcase the results my skills obtained. The feedback I’ve gotten from the market has been more than positive.

My decision to choose Vantage has proved itself over and over again.

A teacher entrepreneur

My goal in doing this course was probably a bit different than most. As I plan to open a language academy in my hometown in Korea, I thought it was a good idea to firsts learn how to teach. I plan to work as a teacher for a little while so I really know everything about this profession. This should help me when I hire teachers and also if I have to substitute when regular teachers go on leave.

What was really valuable to me came from the observed teaching practices. We then got a lot of detailed feedback on each class we took. We were given a new ‘challenge’ to do into our class. I got a bit better after each and every class I taught.

If you do Vantage’s TEFL, you’ll be covering a lot of coursework each class. It was a challenging four weeks. At the same time, Vantage’s trainers always kept the classes engaging and kept it fun while we learned new stuff every day. The trainers at Vantage were exceptional and I made some great friends.

I now believe that I’ve now have a solid foundation on how to teach a language. I came away from Vantage more confident than ever that I could successfully teach English in a live classroom.

Fantastic course...great experience!

I got a lot of help even before the course started. I wanted budget accommodation and Vantage found me a room within walking distance to the training centre saving me even more money as I had no transportation expenses.

The actual TEFL course itself both intensive and thorough. .We covered all the major teaching methodologies and use one called the ESA” in our teaching practices.

The lead trainer was fantastic. He was very experienced and very knowledgeable. The comments on my observed teaching practices were key to my development as a language teacher. I got better each class I taught. I’m now 100% confident I can successfully walk into a classroom and teach English.

Vantage’s job placement was also first rate. They do what they call “Power Resumes”—and I got individual help in crafting my own. Through their alumni network of working teachers

Something was working as I graduated on a Friday, had interviews—and job offers—the following week. My money spent on this course and the professional guidance I got was worth every penny!