Vantage TEFL In-Class Course
Vantage TEFL Certification Header Image Vantage TEFL Certification Header Image

Vantage TEFL In-Class Course

All My Concerns were Answered

My qualifications and experience were in engineering, so I was worried about the success in changing careers. Added to this I was concerned that my status as a non-native English speaker would make becoming a teaching almost impossible.

On top of that Vantage’s course was intensive. Each night I had a lot of reading to do. Having said that, the course material was invaluable. I was taught both theories and techniques on teaching. But it was only when I really taught in a real live classroom—under the direction and observation of Lead Trainer Chris—that I really grew confident in my ability to teach.

Vantage also has their own specialist Jobs Coach. Kevin taught me to speak ‘skills’ to the marketplace. And to then reposition those skill to the teaching profession. So when I told them I was a champion debater in school they taught me to position those debating skills and emphasized how I could both motivate and coach my students’ in their second language acquisition.

Something must have worked. I actually found my first English teaching job working part-time teaching kids during my last week of the course.

Then within a month after graduation, I got two offers, both offering a year-long contract with a Thai Work Permit. I don’t know if I couldn’t have done this if I didn’t have the support and training I got from the Vantage team.

• Published Content

The birth of a new teacher

Vantage first taught us to develop an effective lesson plan. Then the lead trainer would give each trainee a private consultation on their plan before they stepped into the classroom. At first, I had to make a number of revisions, but after a week or so I got this down pretty well.

The feedback I got after each practice class really help me determine how good my lesson plan was. And the feedback on my teaching was priceless. It helped me immeasurably in my development as a professional teacher.

Vantage really excels in job preparation. We had separate Jobs Coach who showed us how to develop a Power Resume. He also trained us in effective interviewing techniques like how to detail our past successes to a new situation. With his guidance, we crafted a great resume cover letters that showcased my skills. We also produced a video how I could be an asset to my future students in any institution.

I had a number of offers in the first few weeks after graduation even from schools who said they only wanted native speakers.

The bottom line was that Vantage’s program was a great facilitator in making my successful career change. They are a highly coordinated and professional team. I would recommend Vantage without hesitation.

• Course Instructor

A reputable program with an international accreditation

First and foremost and I wanted a reputable TEFL program with an international accreditation.

In doing research on which TEFL I wanted to do in Thailand, I was a bit surprised that far too many courses gave a lot of information about the touristic interests in their area, but not so much information on the actual TEFL course itself like its teaching methodologies.

Looking at Vantage TEFL’s website, I discovered the key areas of study within my TEFL course and the teaching methodologies. They also had very good information on the English Teaching Industry—such as the demand for English teachers—as well as the future trends within the ESL industry. I also liked the webpage on Careers within ESL good to explore potential career paths that led from teaching.

The actual course was even better. There was a great deal of information to cover, but the trainers were always there and always supportive. It was intensive but engaging and always interesting. The course book and supplementary materials were very comprehensive. I intend to keep my copy for a valuable reference during my teaching career.

Even if you’re not quite sure about being an English teacher this course is very worthwhile as the resume writing and interview techniques we covered were also highly professional.

If you are a non-native speaker, as I am, they give you a lot of tips on how to succeed in interviews—particularly those that advertise for native speakers only.

I like to thank the Vantage training team for such an incredible experience at Vantage. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone looking for a world class TEFL training course.

• Course Instructor

A volunteer gets formal teacher training

I first tried teaching English to a class of young students through a volunteer program in Cambodia. I was given no formal training. I just was left to my own devices and ‘wing it’ in the classroom. But I found I loved teaching, I loved making a difference in student’s lives. I also knew that if I wanted to become a professional teacher and really good at what I was teaching that I would need formal training to do it to the best of my abilities.

Vantage’s TEFL course was taught by Chris who is an outstanding teacher who cares a tremendously about his students. That’s a quality that’s not easy to find today. The 4-week course is intensive given the teaching theory and methodology you’ll study , the lesson planning, your observed teaching practice and exams. And finally the portfolio you will need to build. Chris guides you through all this step-by-step and you’ll have a lot of fun throughout the process. He gave me a ton of constructive feedback after each of my observed teaching practices, I improve significantly with every new lesson I taught.

On the jobs front, they have a separate trainer. Kevin is their “Jobs Coach. He works with you developing what they call a Power Resume. Something must have worked because previously
I had sent my old resume out to several companies before and didn’t get a single response. After sending out my new Vantage-style Power Resume, I was literally contacted by every single school I solicited.

Bottom line: if you are serious about a professional career as an English teacher, take your TEFL here. These guys are highly experienced and know what they’re doing in spades.

• Course Instructor

A lot of personal attention

All I knew was that I really wanted to teach, but didn’t know how to actually do that—other than what I remember in my schools days. At first, I assumed that the course would be pretty uncomplicated, not take too much time, and not be too difficult.

I was dead wrong.

I had to relearn a lot of grammar. And I was taught and tested on phonetics. I still a bit surprised I got through all that.

My observed practice teaching sessions are where I really honed my teaching craft. I was encouraged to use skills and training techniques I used in previous jobs—adapted for second language teaching.
I got a ton of great feedback from the trainers—and my co-trainees--that made a big difference in my next class.

Nothing about the course was easy. It was a lot of work. But it was great fun at the same time.
Throughout the entire course, I was taken out of my comfort zone, but the bottom line is I now can successfully teach. I’m now completely confident that I can walk into a classroom anywhere and teach anyone English.

Even after the course was finished, Vantage gave me a lot of personal help. After I short holiday, I came back and got a face-to-face resume writing session! Vantage wants you to become a teacher who can make a difference in your students’ lives.

If you’re interested in teaching career overseas, check out Vantage’s TEFL program.

An excellent world-class course

This course was excellent and the Vantage instructors and staff were professional and always engaging.

Chris, the lead instructor was highly knowledgeable in the grammar review He gave one to one help with lesson plans as well as offered helpful feedback for the teaching practicum. He has some real-world insights and practical “what to expect” for teaching for Business English with corporate clients, private tutoring, and teaching at Thai schools. Overall, Chris was highly professional, helpful and dedicated to getting your best work out of you.

Kevin, their Jobs Coach presented some great overviews on Cambridge testing for language levels. He offered on the ground knowledge of the local area which was helpful to many in my class. Kevin taught us how to craft a Power Resume and held special classes on interviewing techniques and the job search process.

Ryan is their foreign language specialist and he taught introductory classes on Thai language and Thai culture workplace do’s and don’ts.

I highly recommend the TEFL certification offered at Vantage. The course content was excellent and the teaching practicum at the Nurses' College was great in that gives you valuable classroom experience.

American accreditation

I wanted an international accreditation for my TEFL, and the American University Accreditation from Fort Hays State University in Kansas was an important consideration in selecting Vantage for my TEFL training.

Vantage’s TELF course was great. The course itself was intensive. We were given an entire course book and additional supplementary materials to get through in just one month!

The observed teaching practices we did with university students was heart of the training. Yes, the teaching theories and methodologies are important, but you develop your own professional style only when you stand in front of real live students and start practicing your own teaching techniques.
After each observed teaching session, I got extremely valuable feedback from the TEFL trainers. They would also present us a challenge to tackle for the next upcoming teaching session. They wanted to see more than just a single good teacher performance. We were being coached for overall growth in each and every individual session as the practicum went on.

I also had to take detailed notes as I observed my fellow co-trainees teach. I discussed these with both them and our lead trainer. I learned a lot from doing this as well.

Doing my TEFL training at Vantage in Bangkok was a fantastic experience. Thai students are very polite and well behaved. This program is world-class.

A comprehensive course

For one month, I learned something new about teaching in every class session. And yes this class is intensive but I was guided every step of the way.

After each observed teaching practice, I was given extensive feedback and that really helped me realize I was doing better than I initially thought.

I was then given a new challenge for my next class I taught which addressed areas that the trainers thought I still needed to work on. The lead trainer was excellent and always available for any help. The way he taught each unit and gave feedbacks was very effective.

They have a separate “Jobs Coach” trainer who showed me how to create my own Power Resume. We actually sat down and did that after the course finished.

I would also highly recommend taking this curse to anyone who is serious about teaching English. You leave with the requisite teaching skills,

Additionally, I got coached on interviewing skills and got plugged into Vantage’s network of employment opportunities and that included their partnership with a major online teacher recruiter.

Bangkok teaching

I did Vantage’s “Combined Class.” The first half my class was completed online back in the US. I then came out to Thailand to do my observed teaching practices—what Vantage calls the ‘practicum’—in front of Thai students.
The online portion was primarily studying about teaching methodologies and grammar. While the online course was extensive, it didn’t give me the complete confidence that I was ready to teach. This is why the practicum was extremely useful. This part of the course helped me gain confidence in my abilities as a teacher. Both trainers were always there to support me and my fellow students with any concerns that we had.
Apart from the practicum Vantage invited me to join their in-class course to participate in the peer teaching activities of the class. The peer teaching is really a great ‘first step’ in getting ready to teach. All of us were very nervous to teach for the first time in front of a group of students, but peer teaching really eased our worries. It allowed me to rehearse what I was going to do in front of the students and be less nervous in front of them.
To sum it up, I feel I now ready to teach and I have so much more confidence than before I started the course. The Vantage training I got was second to none.

• Course Instructor

Proven over and over again

I initially considered programs that "guaranteed" teaching jobs. After speaking to the Course Director for a number of hours, I realized that Vantage would deliver a course that was much more in tune to my particular requirements.

I was completely correct about getting individual service.

We did our observed teaching practices to nursing students who were great to teach. We were first taught lesson planning, classroom management and provided with a ton of resources that make the transition into teaching super easy.
We had seven in our class, which I believe is about the right size.

Their “Jobs Coach” spent an afternoon with me going my background so that I could position myself by highlighting my skills and previous results.

Vantage takes the view that too many resumes are really just a laundry list of traditional job duties. Vantage not only highlighted my skills and taught me to showcase the results my skills obtained. The feedback I’ve gotten from the market has been more than positive.

My decision to choose Vantage has proved itself over and over again.

A teacher entrepreneur

My goal in doing this course was probably a bit different than most. As I plan to open a language academy in my hometown in Korea, I thought it was a good idea to firsts learn how to teach. I plan to work as a teacher for a little while so I really know everything about this profession. This should help me when I hire teachers and also if I have to substitute when regular teachers go on leave.

What was really valuable to me came from the observed teaching practices. We then got a lot of detailed feedback on each class we took. We were given a new ‘challenge’ to do into our class. I got a bit better after each and every class I taught.

If you do Vantage’s TEFL, you’ll be covering a lot of coursework each class. It was a challenging four weeks. At the same time, Vantage’s trainers always kept the classes engaging and kept it fun while we learned new stuff every day. The trainers at Vantage were exceptional and I made some great friends.

I now believe that I’ve now have a solid foundation on how to teach a language. I came away from Vantage more confident than ever that I could successfully teach English in a live classroom.

Fantastic course...great experience!

I got a lot of help even before the course started. I wanted budget accommodation and Vantage found me a room within walking distance to the training centre saving me even more money as I had no transportation expenses.

The actual TEFL course itself both intensive and thorough. .We covered all the major teaching methodologies and use one called the ESA” in our teaching practices.

The lead trainer was fantastic. He was very experienced and very knowledgeable. The comments on my observed teaching practices were key to my development as a language teacher. I got better each class I taught. I’m now 100% confident I can successfully walk into a classroom and teach English.

Vantage’s job placement was also first rate. They do what they call “Power Resumes”—and I got individual help in crafting my own. Through their alumni network of working teachers

Something was working as I graduated on a Friday, had interviews—and job offers—the following week. My money spent on this course and the professional guidance I got was worth every penny!