University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC GERMANY: Lüneburg - European Studies & Sustainability

Girl on German

I loved my classes. Loved campus. Loved the other students from all over the world whom I am still friends with today. Only regret is that my living assignment had me in Bardowick. It had its bonuses...long runs in the country and my roommate didn't speak much English so it was sunk or swim from the beginning. It was a little hard being so far away from all my classmates.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review March 02, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we're so glad you enjoyed your time abroad. We appreciate the information about the housing, we'll be sure to pass that onto our housing department.

Amazing

My first time abroad I spent in northern Germany. After studying the language in high school
I decided the country was a top choice for a study abroad destination. I was a low income student and relied heavily on loans for school. Spending time away from work was a choice I did not take lightly. Thankfully University Studies Abroad Consortium was a very affordable and even had summer options. I spent 6 weeks in Luneburg, Germany with a wonderful host family. The USAC staff was great and helpful with all sorts of things such as classes, living situation and options for getting to know German students. Having only one class for myself gave me plenty of time to roam the town and go elsewhere on the weekends (student ID had lots of options for free train travel in Lower Saxony!) I quickly made friends with a couple other USAC students and they became my travel buddies. Although I was on a budget I still had the opportunity to try plenty of German food as well as other favorites in the area. While I wished I had known how humid northern Germany is before I got there, I thoroughly enjoyed the greenness of the country. My top three favorite things were riding the trains, swimming in the Alpsee near Fussen and eating lots of gelato! USAC was great, my host family was great and the friends I made were great, I can't wait to get back.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review March 10, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Brittany. We're so glad you enjoyed your time abroad!

A Great Semester in Lüneburg

I absolutely loved my semester in Lüneburg. The staff on site is so helpful and friendly, they are good at their jobs and want you to have a good time. Classes could have some work, but I learned so much in one semester. I was in Beginning German with no experience, so naturally it was hard at first, but after only a few months I was able to travel around Germany and Austria comfortably. It was incredible how fast the language came once I was there. You have plenty of time to travel on your own, and many opportunities through the program and university as well. Housing was great as well, I loved my host family. They helped me integrate in the culture and practice German. I only wish I had made more of an effort to meet Germans. If it had been a bit warmer (it was winter), this would have been the perfect semester.

Social Life:
It's easy to hang out with only USAC students, I recommend meeting Germans.

Great place, bad organization

I love Lüneburg, my host family, most of the people in my program, but I'm not a fan of how USAC has organized this program. We are at a University that doesn't begin till a month and half after ours starts. Our interaction with the Germans is for a short period of time. Also, the orientation was horribly planned. It took three days and they still had us go out and do some complicated tasks in a foreign language with hardly any assistance. The residence directors are very nice, and I can tell they mean well and try to help out the students, but they are not the best communicators which makes this whole process a little more overwhelming. On the academic side, the teachers for the non language class are not very organized, and there classes require a lot of work and the assignments are very vague. It's confusing to know what exactly should be done and classes are once a week which makes it even more hard to know what is expected.
I love being here in Germany, and I am incredibly thankful for the experience. I just don't like how this particular program was organized. At the same time, that isn't ruining my time here. It's just something I think could be improved.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review October 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you love Lüneburg! We appreciate hearing how our programs can be improved. Feel free to email me with more specifics at daniellelongley@unr.edu as we would definitely like to smooth out any organizational issues you experienced for our future students.