USAC GERMANY: Lüneburg - European Studies & Sustainability
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC GERMANY: Lüneburg - European Studies & Sustainability

When in Lüneburg

I studied abroad with USAC during Fall 2016. I was in Lüneburg, a small town about thirty minutes outside of Hamburg, for four months and I learned more about myself and my culture during that time than I ever expected to. In my opinion Lüneburg was the perfect city to study in. It was small enough that you weren't surrounded by tourists and people who were going to be speaking English, but close enough to a big city that it was easy to travel around and find the resources that you needed.
I stayed with a host family that quickly became like a real family. Choosing this housing option made my experience better than I could have ever hoped. It really gave me the opportunity to fully immerse myself in the language and the culture. USAC offered multiple different housing options, though, so if this hadn't been the best choice for me it would have been easy to find a new situation.
The classes were awesome! I did the language intensive program, so I took four semesters worth of German classes in the timespan of one semester helping me finish my minor. It might sound scary, but it wasn't! The teachers are very good and very understanding and you can even go study without any prior German language experience!
USAC also provided multiple excursions to other parts of Germany so that we could branch out and see the rest of the country. Even when they didn't have USAC sanctioned events, there was multiple three-day weekends that you could use to go all around. I was able to visit Spain, Copenhagen, Munich, Italy, Amsterdam, and London during my program which was an unbelievable opportunity.
Overall the support and opportunities that USAC gave me made this the best possible experience. I highly recommend studying through USAC if you want a program with a lot of support and options. Now it's time to plan my trip back to Germany!

Great program

The staff, faculty and campus are really wonderful. Everyone is warm and inviting and made me feel right at home. They all worked together to make sure the students had everything they needed and they worked with us on any issue we had, whether it had anything to do with the school or program.
The classes were challenging but very doable. I came into the program a little behind the other students but the faculty helped me all through out the sessions and got me any help I needed. I was able to quickly catch up.
There were a variety of activities scheduled that took us to different cities The staff and faculty joined us to make sure there were no issues and made sure we were taken care of, but also allowed us time to explore on our own.
This was the most reasonably priced program I looked at and had so much already included in the price.
Would highly recommend to anyone thinking it is not obtainable.

Inspiring and well-organized

I applied very late to get into the program (about a month before departure), and all of the team was very helpful in assisting me in getting my work done to go in time. Once I was there, it was just amazing. The campus was great, the faculty and staff were very close to the students and the entire experience was such a privilege. I made some amazing friends and got to do some things I had never planned on being able to while I was there. On top of that, Lüneburg is like a second home for me now. If I could afford it, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Study abroad semester in Lüneburg

Studying abroad in Luneburg was an amazing experience! I had the time of my life and made so many new friends. Meeting germans was really easy in such a small town. Wednesday night karaoke at the Irish bar was a favorite among my friends! The program advisor Steffi is so helpful and patient. She is always there to help everyone. I improved my german so quickly and really enjoyed the other classes I took. The professors are the best, thank you Monika, Mark, and Constance! Hamburg is so fun to visit and is only a 30 minute train ride away. The housing situation was really cool because we were all able to live with German roommates or a German family. My roommate became a close friend of mine! I recommend everyone to go to Luneburg to study, it is now my favorite place in the world!

Girl on German

I loved my classes. Loved campus. Loved the other students from all over the world whom I am still friends with today. Only regret is that my living assignment had me in Bardowick. It had its bonuses...long runs in the country and my roommate didn't speak much English so it was sunk or swim from the beginning. It was a little hard being so far away from all my classmates.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review March 02, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we're so glad you enjoyed your time abroad. We appreciate the information about the housing, we'll be sure to pass that onto our housing department.

Lüneburg is a wonderful, quaint town to spend a semester abroad

I really enjoyed my time in Lüneburg. I ended up meeting a lot of people, many of whom I'm still in contact with and plan to visit soon. I also went on trips almost every weekend. I'm actually quite amazed at how many places I visited! It was so easy to take a train to a neighboring town, and flights were extremely cheap to go to other countries.

Overall, the program was good. The advisors were very helpful and organized quite a few activities and field trips for us. I was a bit disappointed, however, that the school system we were on was not the same as the other German students. Us USAC students were in our own classrooms and had very little contact with the other Leuphana students.

Another thing that bothered me - the housing situation. I was stuck with a host family that lived on the outskirts of town. Some students got really lucky and got a shared apartment in the city center. I really don't understand how the housing was selected, but some students were really screwed over. Especially since the busses quit running at 8pm every night. I can't even begin to tell you how much money I spent on cab fair and buying a bike.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but this is my honest review. This USAC program is really expensive (I ended up spending about $10,000 USD), so I really think anyone considering going through USAC should know what they are getting themselves into.

Although I do not regret my decision to study abroad, if I were to do it again, I would find another study abroad program besides USAC. Or I would look into studying abroad independently. Germany actually has free tuition for international students, so I'm a bit shocked at how much USAC charges their students for the Lüneburg program.

I am actually going back to Europe soon by doing a TEFEL certificate, which in total is about $2,000. This is a great alternative for someone who wants to go live and work abroad, but doesn't want to spend over 10k.

Amazing

My first time abroad I spent in northern Germany. After studying the language in high school
I decided the country was a top choice for a study abroad destination. I was a low income student and relied heavily on loans for school. Spending time away from work was a choice I did not take lightly. Thankfully University Studies Abroad Consortium was a very affordable and even had summer options. I spent 6 weeks in Luneburg, Germany with a wonderful host family. The USAC staff was great and helpful with all sorts of things such as classes, living situation and options for getting to know German students. Having only one class for myself gave me plenty of time to roam the town and go elsewhere on the weekends (student ID had lots of options for free train travel in Lower Saxony!) I quickly made friends with a couple other USAC students and they became my travel buddies. Although I was on a budget I still had the opportunity to try plenty of German food as well as other favorites in the area. While I wished I had known how humid northern Germany is before I got there, I thoroughly enjoyed the greenness of the country. My top three favorite things were riding the trains, swimming in the Alpsee near Fussen and eating lots of gelato! USAC was great, my host family was great and the friends I made were great, I can't wait to get back.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review March 10, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Brittany. We're so glad you enjoyed your time abroad!

A Great Semester in Lüneburg

I absolutely loved my semester in Lüneburg. The staff on site is so helpful and friendly, they are good at their jobs and want you to have a good time. Classes could have some work, but I learned so much in one semester. I was in Beginning German with no experience, so naturally it was hard at first, but after only a few months I was able to travel around Germany and Austria comfortably. It was incredible how fast the language came once I was there. You have plenty of time to travel on your own, and many opportunities through the program and university as well. Housing was great as well, I loved my host family. They helped me integrate in the culture and practice German. I only wish I had made more of an effort to meet Germans. If it had been a bit warmer (it was winter), this would have been the perfect semester.

Social Life:
It's easy to hang out with only USAC students, I recommend meeting Germans.

Great place, bad organization

I love Lüneburg, my host family, most of the people in my program, but I'm not a fan of how USAC has organized this program. We are at a University that doesn't begin till a month and half after ours starts. Our interaction with the Germans is for a short period of time. Also, the orientation was horribly planned. It took three days and they still had us go out and do some complicated tasks in a foreign language with hardly any assistance. The residence directors are very nice, and I can tell they mean well and try to help out the students, but they are not the best communicators which makes this whole process a little more overwhelming. On the academic side, the teachers for the non language class are not very organized, and there classes require a lot of work and the assignments are very vague. It's confusing to know what exactly should be done and classes are once a week which makes it even more hard to know what is expected.
I love being here in Germany, and I am incredibly thankful for the experience. I just don't like how this particular program was organized. At the same time, that isn't ruining my time here. It's just something I think could be improved.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review October 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you love Lüneburg! We appreciate hearing how our programs can be improved. Feel free to email me with more specifics at daniellelongley@unr.edu as we would definitely like to smooth out any organizational issues you experienced for our future students.