USAC CZECH REPUBLIC: Prague - European Politics & Culture
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC CZECH REPUBLIC: Prague - European Politics & Culture

Check out to Czech in

Hi,

My name is Devon McPherson a 4th year Business Finance student from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. I was fortunate enough to study abroad with the USAC Studies Abroad Consortium in Fall of 2016. I had one of the best semester of my life, immersing myself in foreign culture, food, and architecture. Taking the path less traveled by was one of the best decisions I have made to date. What I learned were things you would never learn in a history textbook in the United States. You learn by letting your wall down and living your life to the fullest in the city that you choose. The experience is truly what you make it, where you go, who you meet, and adventures you dare travel to.

I would HIGHLY recommend studying abroad in a new city, especially if you have never been out of the United States. It not only opens your borders, but your mind in many different aspects that you would not think about. I came back from my experience abroad more thankful and open minded in the world that I live in. Don't look back and regret not studying abroad.

USAC Prague (summer)

I have no regrets about my decision to study abroad in Prague. USAC makes available every opportunity to experience everything possible, including academically. I am a book nerd, so in addition to the history course I took for a requirement, I audited great Czech writers--worth every book and minute of reading! Otherwise, I was able to explore as much as I wanted, and even went into the city on my own with no problems. Even if you don't go on your own trips, the administration planned a lot for us, and I greatly appreciated the levels of organization and communication to make sure everyone who wanted to go did.

My only not-so-positive note for the program isn't even related to the program but to the professors teaching the courses: the professor for my required course didn't fully communicate the terms of an assignment to us and acted increasingly resentful to the class. Like I mentioned, though, this isn't really related to the program.

I cannot put into words how utterly wonderful the program was. For those considering, you will not regret studying abroad with USAC, but make sure to take advantage of the extra trips, explore your own interests (I highly recommend the Kafka museum), and eat everything--just try to find some vegetables to eat with all those meat and dumplings!

The golden city - Prague, studying abroad, and why you should do it

My first and only time studying abroad was in the Summer of 2016. My time at home (Bellingham, Washington) was very dull for me. I'd grown up here and stayed here my entire life, travelling but never too far away. Taking that big step, to go across the ocean and visit an entirely new country with a completely different culture, was exciting. And maybe a little scary for someone who has never traveled nor truly lived on their own before.

Luckily, I chose USAC as the provider for this program. They consistently made me feel like I had an open line of communication and made it easy to finish paperwork and complete all the steps necessary to study abroad. Without their help the entire experience would've been different in a negative way, so I would like to say thank you to those in USAC who make studying abroad not a chore, but a challenging experience.

Prague was ultimately the best choice for me. It was a beautiful, old, historically and culturally rich city. As a history major, I was in heaven. Even before really getting to explore Prague the USAC Prague staff took us on a 4 day excursion to a Renaissance Festival, Vienna, Budapest, and Bratislava. So much of Europe in so little time, and I just got here! I was blown away by how well it was organized, but more so that I was lucky enough to see all of these cities and learn all of their history, among other USAC students whom I befriended rapidly.

Among friends, my experience in Prague transformed me and opened up my mind to new experiences my old self would've never done. I explored the city, met people from around the world, spent long nights out at bars and restaurants, or in the parks and on the bridges. The USAC classes were great, but with only two months to learn, not much could be taught. But what was taught was well organized and informative. My professor for the Rock n Roll and Communism class especially was incredibly engaging and fun, as well as professional and interesting.

Overall, I can't detail my experiences well enough in a written piece to explain how amazing study abroad really is, and how well USAC handles it. The best option I have is advocate and encourage those who aren't sure if they want to or should study abroad to do so when they can. It's life changing if you want it to be, exposes you to new ways of thinking and different cultures, and allows you to meet brand new types of people and befriend those who may live an ocean away. My teachers constantly reminded us that, although there is learning inside the classroom, much greater is the learning that occurs while you explore the place you are living in. So go abroad, explore, adventure, and grow. It's worth all of your time and will make you a better, more well rounded person afterwards.

Life changing experience

I truly had an amazing experience studying abroad through USAC. They were very organized and clear on what paperwork needed to be done prior to leaving, as well as provided a packing list to help make the process easier. Once arriving in Prague, they had a welcoming dinner planned for us which was a great way to break the ice with other students. We also had an orientation where they gave us tips and pointers and explained how class scheduling would work. The teachers were amazing and understood that we wanted to study, but also wanted to explore Prague and other countries. USAC planned many program activities including hikes, dinners, and weekend trips. I am so incredibly thankful for having the opportunity to study in Prague with USAC. I did not want the semester to end, and I cannot wait to go back.

Amazing!

I had the time of my life here. Really! I miss Prague everyday. The staff are absolutely incredible and willing to help you with whatever you need. I met so many people through this program that will be lifelong friends. Prague is super budget friendly. It is in such a central location too, it's so easy to travel around Europe! Honestly, just go for it! You won't regret it at all.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review February 10, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Thank you for your feedback! We're so glad you enjoyed your time in Prague, it is a magical city!

Czech it Out--USAC Prague know's what it's doing!

Studying abroad through USAC was one of the best decisions of my life!

The program in Prague is fantastic from start to finish. The program staff in Prague are engaging, interesting and helpful. The classes offered helped me learn so much about Central Europe and the Czech Republic (both past and present day) and the teachers were genuinely interested in sharing their experiences with students.

Every weekend an excursion was offered, but students were not forced to participate. This allowed us the opportunity to explore on our own, or take part in a larger experience we may not have been able to do without the organization of the staff. We lived in apartments about 15 minutes from school which forced us to become familiar with our chosen city.

While it was not total immersion (classes were only offered in English, and we lived with all Americans) the experiences and opportunities provided created an understanding for the culture I never could have gained otherwise.

Overall, I feel like USAC Prague provided the perfect amount of guidance as well as independence for young travelers. We knew were to go if we needed help, but they encouraged us to get to know the city we were calling home for 4-10months. USAC Prague inspired within me a love for Prague, Czech people and their culture that I will never lose.

I loved my time in Prague

I loved my time in Prague. Loved living in a neighborhood, loved my teachers. Prague is amazing and the program took us on wonderful tours.

Amazing!

Best thing I have ever done

This experience was life changing. The city is incredible with the best food and best night life. The staff were not only very helpful, but they made me feel included, they were so nice and so funny it was easy to become friends with them. I first chose Prague because it was a good location, Central Europe making it easy to access other countries and travel during weekends. I visited so many countries during my four months their it blows my mind. But Prague felt like home to me, it was beautiful and full of history and I never knew what the Czechs had gone through before I got there. I loved the language course I took and my language teacher made the complicated language easy and fun to learn. Overall I will never forget my experience and what the USAC program did for me and how they welcomed us all into their home.

Studying English and enjoying life in Prague

USAC program provides me perfect environment to study English as most of the USAC students are Americans. This is a thing for me as i'm from Korea. This program also gives me the chance to live a life in wonderful Prague and there are programs including short trips, hiking, and etc that students can enjoy easily as well. However, the number of the classes that i can take is quite limited and most of the classes except for one is held in a small building which is not university.

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review October 19, 2016 at 4:10 PM

We’re glad you’re enjoying life in Prague! If you have any suggestions on how we could improve our program, please feel free to reach out to me at: daniellelongley@unr.edu.

A summer to remember in Prague!

I spent 6 weeks in Prague for the summer session 2 through USAC. My time there was one I will cherish for the rest of my life! To start off, Prague is an immensely gorgeous city, quite possibly the most beautiful in all of Europe! Everywhere you look there are quaint cobblestone streets, red rooftops, and intricately designed buildings lining every street that make you feel as if you're wandering through a medieval city! There are literally surprises around every corner, and it is safe enough that you can go wandering the streets on your own (which I did countless times) and feel completely comfortable.

Prague is an incredibly liveable city as well. Their metro, bus, and tram systems are very easy to use, though intimidating at first. Once you get the hang of them you truly feel you can navigate the city with confidence. There are many parks and places to relax like the locals, which are especially relieving after spending time in the tourist clogged Old Town Square or Charles Bridge (both still incredible despite the tourists). Everyday is exciting and offers something new to explore! Not to mention, Prague is in the heart of Europe so it makes traveling to other countries insanely easy and affordable!

I chose this program because it was the most inexpensive option in Europe. I did not know much about Prague or the Czech Republic before choosing this program, but once I spent some time there it quickly found a permanent place in my heart! The classes I took were enjoyable and the USAC advisors are the friendliest, nicest, most helpful people you will ever meet! I can't say enough good things about this experience! I also participated in the study tour to Vienna and Budapest (highly recommended) and was initially worried that my dietary restrictions (vegetarian) might be an issue, but to my pleasant surprise they were always very attentive to that aspect and I ended up having plenty of amazing meals despite living in an area known for meat and potatoes!

I recommend this program to absolutely anyone! Even if it may not be your first European choice, I think you should take the chance and let Prague take you under her wing! I can not rave enough about the value of this program! I gained so much and somehow found out things about myself I never knew!

Go to Prague, you will never forget the magic of this majestic city, and USAC will make the experience even greater!

An incredible introduction to international travel

Prague is one of the most incredible cities in Europe — old world, esoteric and enchanting. It's rich with a thousand years of history, and there are still shadows of its turbulent twentieth century nearly everywhere you look. It makes it the perfect backdrop to study abroad for history buffs and political junkies.

USAC knows this and offers a great selection of classes to complement your time in Prague. The classes are pretty easy — they know you're studying abroad in one of the best party cities in Europe, and they're cool about it — but the professors are legitimately interesting people, many of whom grew up in communist Czechoslovakia and remember the Velvet Revolution. Going out for drinks with them and listening to their stories was one of the highlights of my stay in Europe.

USAC also does a good job of being very present and available to help and guide students without being overbearing. Their offices are down the hall from the classrooms, they arrange all housing (a shared apartment, usually with three to five other students in the same program) and there was never any shortage of hikes, festivals or day trips students could sign up for, but I believe the only mandatory event was the day one orientation. It's perfect for someone traveling abroad or alone for the first time — Jan, Daša, Geiger and all the other USAC employees are very friendly and always willing to help.

My only real regret about my experience was my level of cultural immersion. That was one thing I wish USAC had encouraged a little more of, but it's also something I wish I'd realized I should pursue myself. Since 90 percent of the students in the program are from the U.S., it's very easy to only spend time with other Americans without really getting a local Czech experience. I know one person joined a frisbee league at a local university though, and a few people got internships with local organizations, which, based on talking to them, I completely recommend. My biggest tip would be to go into the semester with an open mind, ready to pursue an authentically cultural experience outside your comfort zone!

Bonus: I'm not sure if it ever made it onto the official USAC pre-departure reading list, but if you get the chance, definitely pick up a copy of Prague Winter by Madeleine Albright, our very own Czech-born U.S. Secretary of State. 10/10.