USAC AUSTRALIA: Gold Coast & Brisbane - Full Curriculum
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC AUSTRALIA: Gold Coast & Brisbane - Full Curriculum

Once in a life time opportunity

If you are considering study abroad in Gold Coast, Australia... do it! You will not regret a thing! Griffith University is an amazing campus that is well organized and does everything for and by the students. The academic professors are very involved in their lectures and they are very concerned whether or not their students have learned the material or not. My suggestion is to study abroad early, so you can take the easy courses and not stress too much about the grades. Unfortunately, I did not do this and had to take some more difficult engineering courses. I spent a lot of time studying and going to classes everyday, but I don't regret it. Overall, Gold Coast is a great little city that has plenty of activities for anyone. It has several beaches and outdoor activities to take part in (i.e. surfing, snorkeling, camping, hiking, climbing, etc.) and the city life is pretty nice as well. Public transportation with the Translink Tram is great and affordable for all students, eliminating the need for a bike or car. The accommodations for Griffith University Village was good because of its proximity to campus, but for better housing, you may want to search elsewhere. The GriffithMates club on campus did several day trips to explore the city and its surrounding areas. People in the Gold Coast are very casual and laid back, they dress comfortably and many people are just looking for a good time. I have met so many students from other countries aside from Australia. Gold Coast is really a large mixing pot of other cultures and backgrounds that you can have the chance to meet. Australia is very similar to America in its set-up and culture and modernism. If this is your first time traveling alone and you aren't looking for too much of a change in culture shock, Australia is a great place to start!

Experience of a lifetime

There is nothing I recommend more to college students than to study abroad. For me, this was the experience of a lifetime and I wouldn't change it for the world. I studied abroad almost 3 years ago now and have thought about it every day since. The people I met abroad have become some of my closest friends and have supported me throughout the remainder of college and into my adult life.
Besides making unforgettable friends, going abroad forces you to become more open minded about other people's cultures, languages, and ways of life. Even though I studied in Australia, I got to meet people from Norway, Germany, Italy, Mexico, France, Sweden, and so many more places that opened my eyes to their lives and experiences.
Taking classes abroad helped to expand my learning with different teaching styles and methods. I was able to take the same courses as I would have in the U.S., but had the opportunity to learn in a different environment.
I loved my experience abroad and hope that all students get to have such an amazing opportunity as well. Whatever program, whatever country, for however long... JUST GO! It will be the experience of a lifetime.

A semester in Australia

I was apprehensive to spend an entire semester abroad because I didn't want to miss out on social/academic/etc. events at my university. The semester I had was unlike anything I've ever been a part of before and surpassed any experience I could have had at my American college. I picked Australia because I wasn't advanced in any other language, so I didn't want there to be a language barrier. I traveled alone because there was not a program directly through my school. I lived in a beautiful apartment on the beach, met amazing friends from all around the world, and saw things I never thought I would. Australia was one of the best experiences of my life. I've been back for almost 5 months and I still think about it every day. The culture and mindset of Australians has shaped my outlook on life for the better. I can't say enough positive things about what the experience taught me and how eager I am to continue travelling the world!

The "Baby Step" Country!

My time in Gold Coast, Australia was surprising in so many ways; it seemed like life Down Under was surprisingly similar to life back home, which was both good and bad, but every day I would discover something that was so different from life in America. While I am happy I went and made lifelong memories and friends, I was a little disappointed at just how similar life in Oz really is. I was expecting cultural immersion and to learn all about a new country and culture, but the culture shock I did get was from realizing the slightly underwhelming familiarity of everything. If you're looking for a study abroad experience that is a "baby step" to travelling, then Australia is the place! But overall, the university and classes were great, I have amazing friends, and saw amazing things that I won't soon forget!

Review for AUS life

Australian didn't speak proper English and they don't like other English countries as well.
They don't say "You're Welcome" in Australia. The program is good because they have 5-star hotels on the Gold Coast and it's a great opportunity to see amazing hotels and there are good opportunities afterward to go work there. However, it is very expensive.

Alright

USAC didn't really do much for us. I never got to meet all of the other students in the program. However, I loved Griffith! There are so many international students. It's great meeting so many people from all over the world.