Study Abroad in London at the University of Roehampton
University of Roehampton Header Image University of Roehampton Header Image

Study Abroad in London at the University of Roehampton

Finding myself in London

I loved experiencing the city of London and getting to venture out on my own in such a new place and culture. I've discovered so much about myself during my study abroad experience, and I would highly recommend it to other students.

A semester to remember

Many things about this experience were amazing. Although it initially took a while, I eventually made many new friends who I will continue to talk to for as long as we can. Part of that was I think the size of the school was larger than I was used to. The other part was the fact that I didn't interact with people in my classes very often because we didn't meet often.
I saw some incredible sights while in London - from the Globe, to the Tower of London, and many more. I didn't have enough funds to leave England, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing as much of London as I could. Definitely make friends as soon as you can and start traveling! Actually traveling can help you bond with others, so do that to help make friends if you can afford it.
One thing that I found jarring and difficult to get used to was the lectures themselves. I am used to spending far much more time in lectures than out of them, so it felt like I had too much time on my hands and not enough work. I also felt like it was more of my responsibility to teach myself every lesson, rather than the lecturer, which I found annoying. I'm paying you to teach me, not the other way around! Otherwise why am I spending all this money??
The number of assignments was also intimidating. I took three classes, and between them all, I only had six papers. For one class, there was only one assignment, meaning it was essentially a pass/fail class. I am pretty good at writing papers as an English major, but I still found this a bit nerve-wracking.
The study abroad team was really helpful, before and during my time there. Before, they sent out a lot of information weekly and it helped prepare me. They hosted events during the semester which were nice. When it comes to communicating with them they are 60/40 quick in getting back to you in a reasonable amount of time. They are all really friendly, and excited that you're there, and want to help you do well. Take advantage of them.
On the whole, an amazing experience. Truly, once in a lifetime.

Great location, tons of support, and a beautiful campus

The University of Roehampton really made my study abroad experience what it was. The campus is located close enough to central London that can pop in whenever you want to, but it is far enough away that the community still feels quiet and intimate. Plenty to do in nearby towns such as Putney and Hammersmith as well if you want a more low-key and closer night out. For a decently large campus, the class sizes remain fairly small and the professors take the time to really get to know you. When you stop in to drop-in hours they don't just want to talk about the coursework, they want to hear about how you are enjoying your time abroad, and they'll even suggest a good pub or two! There is plenty of other support available around campus: both the Chaplaincy Team and the Study Abroad Team are regularly available if you have any problems...and they always have tea! The flats are set up with shared kitchens where it is easy to get to know your flatmates (although this unfortunately also means shared kitchens and bathrooms can get messy). Your room is small, but has everything you need, and it will start to feel homey pretty quickly. Academics are challenging, but not overly so, and most professors understand that students have come from all different types of educational systems. The library is beautiful and a very helpful resource for schoolwork (plus it has a cafe inside). Overall, I've found the campus beautiful and welcoming, and it was this atmosphere that first reassured me that I'd made the right choice to study abroad.

Study abroad at Roehampton

Overall, studying at the University of Roehampton has been a wonderful experience. The campus in a great location, with easy access to central London and some of the smaller boroughs further out. Traveling, to other parts of England and even to other countries, is a breeze. The campus itself is beautiful, with much more greenery than I expected and quite a bit of wildlife (resident campus bunnies and chickens, plus a short walk to Richmond Park). The classes I took were informative and very enjoyable; however, they are much longer than I was used to. My classes at Roehampton met once a week for 3 hours, whereas at home, my classes meet 3 times a week for 1 hour; this was definitely an adjustment, but it left me time to explore London and do some outside of the classroom learning. It seems like there's always something to do at Roehampton, whether it be employment fairs or karaoke at the Union Bar, and there is a slew of societies on campus, so you're sure to find something that piques your interest. Additionally, it was great to meet so many awesome people from all over the world and to work closely with some truly great professors. If you're looking for a fun and educational study abroad programme, I would definitely advise looking into Roehampton (especially if you're studying creative writing!).

Excellent!

The campus is in such a good location in London, super safe and easy access to central. The support and resources the campus has made me feel welcome on campus. This is definitely home away from home. I made some amazing friends and there is a sense of community when you come onto campus.

Pleasantly surprised

I was hesitant about studying abroad because I have severe social anxiety. However, the experience has opened my eyes and helped me become a better person. I wish there were more university organized opportunities for cultural immersion, and I wish everything was cheaper. I also wish I could've had someone help me when I needed it. However, it was amazing. I chose to study abroad in England so I could study Shakespeare and I got what I wanted. I was able to have a special lecture at the Globe which was amazing. Overall, classes and living were worth the price and time. Hearing situations that happened close to where I live that put my life at risk were difficult to process, and constantly being woken up by the fire alarm was not fun. Regardless, I loved this. I wish I could do it again. The only advice I would give would be to save up a lot more money than you think you need and to be prepared to be alone.

Semester exchange

Wishing I completed my entire degree here! Although I've only been here for a semester, it has been the best 5 months of my life by far. The subjects were extremely interesting, the support from the study abroad office was consistent and always helpful and the community life in college was exceptional! I've learnt so much from being immersed in another culture through this university and made incredible friends for life. Would do it again if I had the chance!

London life

My time here has been nothing short of incredible. Fellow students, the campus, the staff and the housing exceeded my expectations. This once in a lifetime opportunity has forever changed how I view the world and I'm so gratefulw. Ive got some great stories now with new, lifelong friends and I can't wait to share my experiences with my friends and family back home. The staff at Roehampton were so helpful and made it a very smooth transition when I arrived and were ready to answer any questions or help whenever I needed it.

A semester abroad

It wasn't what I expected but I definitely enjoyed my time here on campus. The campus is large and there were always fun activities to planned for the students. We had a chance to be in a classroom with students from across America and the world as well as local students from London. Not only that, we were close to the city and able to explore and learn new things everyday.

Amazing experience

If I could study abroad for all four years of college, I would. Studying at roehampton has been a dream from the friendly staff to the accepting students, it is the best place to study abroad. I have made the best friends and have learned so much from my teachers as well as the people that I have been living with.

Campus in London

Roehampton provided a safe experience with an amazing campus extremely close to central London. I took Biological Science courses and the professors were very hands on and happy to help in any way possible. It was a tremendous way to experience a new culture and live in one of the coolest cities in the world!

Studied in London and never wanna leave

My time at Roehampton University was really a time of my life I know I will never forget. I met some of the most amazing life long friends here and experienced living in a huge city for first time in my life and I absolutely loved it. The campus feel was much different than what I'm use to back home at the huge university I go to, but I really loved the change. It was nice to have a completely new atmosphere of campus and feel of a new place. This study abroad experience will definitely never be forgotten!!

Study abroad

Roehampton offered a unique once in a lifetime experience for my 1 year of studying abroad. Although my film course were more theoretical rather than practical, I learned a lot. Very friendly environment.

An amazing experiencee

Coming to the University of Roehampton to study abroad was one of the best decisions I've ever made! The study abroad staff at this uni was so helpful and welcoming. They always made sure to be available to assist the international students with any questions we had and really worked hard to make our transition here smooth and effortless. I also liked the fact that during orientation and even at our pre departure meeting we were informed about things at uni and what steps to take concerning things I hadn't even thought about, which made it easier to deal with the academics and even checking out. I'm really thankful for this experience and strongly recommend to anyone given the chance to study abroad to come to the Uni of Roehampton! You won't regret it!

One in a lifetime experience

I can honestly say that if you have the chance to study in London do it. While Roehampton isn't the best it is in a great location and London is just an amazing city. What I love about London, other than the fact that most people speak English, is that it is a central transportation hub. I primarily wanted to travel and so many trains depart from London to all parts of the country, which makes it so easy to go anywhere.
When it comes to the program, I have to say it could have been better. I think my biggest problem was my accommodation. I got to chose and being cheap I went with the least expensive option. consequently I got a older building that is not good for socializing as well as getting stuck on the least social floor. Luckily I was able to meet other people, mostly other international students, so it wasn't like I was alone the whole time.
In all though I was able to do and go to a ton of amazing things and places that I probably would not have been able to do without doing this program.

Hands down best decision ever made

I would recommend anyone to come to Roehampton to study, because it is all around a great opportunity to take advantage of. I am so ecstatic that I had a chance to experience life in London with my new family. Members of staff, flat mates, and my new friends all made me feel welcomed and always had helpful information to keep me informed of things going on in London. Words cannot describe how much fun I have had and the many life lessons I have learned.

My time away

Coming to the university was a whole new different experience for me. It was my first time overseas and I didn't know what to expect or make of the whole situation, it was surreal. The university welcomed me with open arms and I made some great relationships with my flat mates since the first day. Among all the confusion of being in a new place and having new surroundings, I had multiple people along the way to help me. It has been one of the best experiences of my life and I would encourage anyone considering doing study abroad to come spend time at this great university!

Best study abroad experience I could wish for

Studying at the University of Roehampton for one semester has been an incredible experience. It's not just its closeness to the main attractions the city has to offer, but the people that have made this experience what it was. The Abroad team has been more than helpful, and I have always felt supported and secure (they are very nice and funny too). My classes were great: the teachers were expert in their areas and I feel that I have learnt a lot. To sum up, I would recommend it here to anyone interested in having a study abroad experience.

London love

This once in a lifetime experience is something I'll never forget. The friends I've made here are one that I know I'll have for the rest of my life. The study abroad staff made the transition to Roehampton smooth and were ready to help whenever I faced a problem or had a question. The academic experience was amazing and it had me thinking outside the standard university box and I'm thankful I was given this amazing opportunity.

Roehampton was the best experience I could have asked for

Studying abroad in London was an experience I was so excited for but I was also worried about being in such a big city at a completely new school environment. The University of Roehampton felt like home as soon as I stepped onto campus, you're in greater London with plenty of access to public transportation to get to central but a great suburban vibe. All of the students and professors were incredible, the many events provide so many opportunities to make connections with other students and the campus offers so many places to hang out and enjoy Roehampton itself. I will never forget my time here and would have loved to spend all 4 years here!

Good experience

Overall Roehampton is a great school to study at. The students were great and welcoming to us. Staying in Garden Court was interesting, the people were amazing flat mates but the building itself had many issues. The business classes were fairly easy to adjust to teaching style wise. I would go back!

Self exploration within abroad exploration

When I decided to study abroad, I was more nervous than excited. I had a good group of friends at home, and I had no idea if I'd be able to make new ones abroad easily. But since arriving at Roehampton, I have learned so much about myself and the world around me. I have traveled to multiple countries, met countless new and amazing friends, had unforgettable experiences, learned a lot about history, and eaten a lot of gelato. It took me a while to adjust, but I'm so glad that I came abroad to the University of a Roehampton. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world. I would recommend studying abroad here (or anywhere, really) if given the opportunity. It will change you in ways you never expected, and teach you about how you interact with the world around you.

Roehampton: My home away from home

My experience at Roehampton has forever changed my life. I have met so many students from various backgrounds that have challenged me intellectually and I feel like I have grown into a new person. The courses here are challenging, but the professors are always willing to help. As a biology student, not many people in my major study abroad, but Roehampton had many courses for me to choose from. There is so much to get involved in on campus, and I never felt home sick. This program made sure I was comfortable enough to make my way around London, and helped me with every step along the way and I am considering coming to Roehapmton again for a masters degree. I have made friends here that will last me a life time. I am so glad I chose to study at this university, and I'm sad to go back home so soon. I was really beginning to hate uni back home, i felt so lost and uninspired to continue my education, but Roehampton set off a fire inside of me to never stop learning, never stop traveling, and never doubt your abilities. <3 Taylorann

Roehampton spring semester

When I first started looking into studying abroad, Roehampton immediately stuck out to me and I obviously ended up choosing it. If I had the option again I would definitely still choose Roehampton. The location of the university is perfect, not in central London but still not too far away from it either. The study abroad team here has been so helpful from the very beginning, sending out pre-departure emails so we knew exactly what was going on, greeting us when we got here and giving us so much information, and then having "tea breaks" throughout the semester to still keep in touch with us. The culture at Roehampton is also very diverse, there's so many different kinds of people to meet and so much to do on campus. I had a wonderful time at the University of Roehampton!

Life changing

I came to London because I've always wanted to go but I as a person will never be the same. I've met so many amazing people here and have gotten so many opportunities. This is an amazing school and everyone should experience this place if they have a chance.