Community Empowerment in Uganda
The Real Uganda Header Image The Real Uganda Header Image

Community Empowerment in Uganda

Muzungu, how are you?

The whole experience from start to finish was fantastic! From the day I sent the application I knew I had made the right decision. Leslie was there every step of the way to support you, answer questions and provide material to help you prepare for your journey. She is passionate, knowledgable and an all round ‘rad’ woman!

I spent a total of two weeks working with Hopeline in September 2017 and cannot find a bad word to say about a second of it. I had prevously been to Uganda four times with another organisation where we would stay in hotels/guest houses throughout our voluntary trip; despite my existing love for the country and the people I craved more. On return from my last trip I had decided I wanted to find an organisation that could teach me more about Uganda, emmerse me in the culture and way of life. The Real Uganda was exactly that. You are placed with a host family (Tony, Doreen and their family were incredible and really couldn’t have taken care of me better!) and work alongside their organisations. You are given support and choice throughout, giving you the ability to be independant and get out exactly what you have put in to the experience. I dug, harvested crops, planted seeds, learnt to crochet, made crafts, tested for malaria, assisited in a medical clinic, helped to cook, shopped in the markets, played in the village and could not have felt more welcome throughout the whole stay! “Muzungu, how are you?” Is something you will hear chanting from the time you arrive to the moment you leave for the airport. There’s a reason Uganda was voted the friendliest country in the world.

If you are considering volunteering with The Real Uganda, go for it! One few words of advice, say yes to everything, join in, sing, dance, speak the language, ask questions, tell your story, listen and get stuck in and you won’t regret it!! You will return having learnt way more than you ever thought possible and with a heart bursting with love for your new family and second home; Uganda!

Muzungu, how are you?

5 weeks with hopeline

I have nothing bad to say about my experience through The Real Uganda, in fact it was one of the best decisions I ever made to travel with them. If you want to make a real impact on true Ugandan communities, to work with inspiring, passionate and dedicated people, to do something you cant do anywhere else, but still have the chance to have a weekend to go on safari, or white water raft the Nile, then this is for you. Never have I been somewhere I have felt so welcome, but also where I have felt I've made a true impact. Leaving was the hardest part of my time there. I am forever grateful to founder Leslie for my time there, and for placing me with my Uganda family at Hopeline.

My first experience ever!

My first time traveling EVER was to volunteer with the real Uganda in Uganda and let me say how happy am i to have had this opportunity, at the age of 25 I was a bit nervous but ever so happy to just get out and see the world & different cultures and it's because of Leslie that my experience went so smoothly, if i can recommend any organization to travel abroad it would be with The real Uganda, during my stay i helped plant hundreds of plants & trees and does it ever feel satisfying afterwards to stand back and see with your own eye's what you've helped accomplished,after working in the Garden until noon i sometimes helped at the school in the yard playing with Frisbees and the odd game of football soon as i was finished having my butt kicked by all the kids i was given spare time to venture out and explore my surroundings which was just fantastic! and it all couldn't have been done without the knowledge of Leslie,Robert & Judith. I'm forever in their debt, This organization truly deserved the full 10 ratings on EVERY question because in simpler words it truly did exceed far past my original expectations when traveling for the first time to a foreign country and because of that i plan on returning march 2018, see you guys again soon :)

Eye opening, mind changing and simply wonderful

The only thing I have to complain, is that I spent way to little time there (roughly 2 weeks). However it gave me a good insight into the diversity of Uganda. Both socially as well as into the natural beauty of the country, and the bustle of its cities. The project I was included gave me the chance of contacting with village communities, health directors, company managers/owners, business women groups, and even former government leaders.
The whole logistics was admirably coordinated, and Leslie (and Sophia) makes you feel at home from the minute you arrive in Mukono... actually, even before that, since she might even "help" you pack your bag by suggesting what to bring or not for your stay in Uganda.
I will never forget the taste of the mangos or the pineapples. And since my stay in Uganda, a Rolex never meant an expensive watch never again, but was substituted by the delightful thought of a tasty wrap made on the street in front of you.
The dignity and friendliness of the people was overwhelming. Being called a Mzungu always made me laugh. Distributing condoms to young guys was really fun! Learning how much people are actually informed about AIDS and similar diseases was eye opening.
Loved it... wanted to go there again... will do it some day, and take my son along.

The adventure of a lifetime

That whole "don't judge a book by its cover" mess that your parents told you is true (who would've known). The people in Uganda COULDN'T POSSIBLY be more kind than they already are. The people love outsiders, especially the ones who come not as tourists.

Just got back from an amazing volunteer experience with The Real Uganda

I just recently returned from 2 weeks in Uganda working with the Real Uganda. I did a ton of research on non-profits and chose this organization for several reasons. First - it is grassroots and when I spoke with Leslie the founder, I felt that her mission really spoke to me. She is not out to try to westernize Uganda or bring major change. She is simply trying to bring people together to inspire each other, learn about each other and lend a helping hand in the area of life that the Ugandans are taking upon themselves to try to improve. In addition, she places you with a host family in the village, so you are not on the periphery of a new and different culture, you are immersed in it! This was something that was a non-negotiable for me. I didn't not want to be placed in a volunteer hotel, and my family was wonderful, loving and I will be in touch with them always! Everyday here is different and you are not sure what they day has in store for you! I taught and played with little kids at a very underprivileged village school, made bricks with the boys, built a plate stand with a women's group and helped them with their garden. You work with groups of women who have banded together to try to be innovative and improve their lives. It is inspiring to be a part of! I came away with way more than I thought I gave and I am eternally grateful for this experience. In addition, Leslie makes sure you have the weekends off so you can experience all that Uganda has to offer!!! Don't think about this - just do it! It will be one of the best experiences of your life. The Real Uganda is HIGHLY recommended!!!!!