The Netherlands: LGBTQ+ Rights & Dutch Culture
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

The Netherlands: LGBTQ+ Rights & Dutch Culture

The Netherlands

My time on this trip was amazing. I met so many different people and learned so much from them. Learning about the rich history of the Netherlands while also emerging myself in LGBTQ+ knowledge was a very great opportunity.

• Personal Development

An immersive insight on gender and sexuality through a Dutch lens

When your trip begins by sleeping in a historic Dutch castle, you can already tell that this will be a truly unforgettable experience. At least, that's the way that I felt during my once-in-a-lifetime journey to the Netherlands through the Experiment's LGBTQ+ Rights and Dutch Culture program! Through this program, we were immersed in the Dutch life (primarily based in Amsterdam) while maintaining a keen focus on human rights and intersectionality in the context of Dutch history, culture, and society. During the day, we participated in activities including a black heritage boat tour and an LGBTQ+ tour of the Artis Zoo, profound lectures discussing topics such as trans* issues and the African diaspora, and excursions to cities such as Utrecht and Rotterdam. In the evening, we had the opportunity to explore Amsterdam's various diverse neighborhoods, try new restaurants, go shopping at local establishments, and converse with locals on the tram ride to our host family. The Netherlands program was structured/organized enough for us to truly learn and get a taste of Dutch culture, while it gave us enough freedom to take risks and explore! Overall, I learned so, so much, both in the classroom and on foot, and would definitely go on an experience like this again. I highly recommend the Experiment, and specifically the Netherlands program -- you will bond with a great group of people and remember this trip for the rest of your life!

• Personal Development

Once in a lifetime experience

The program helped me become more aware of the ever growing issues regarding not only the LGBTQ+ community but also those pertaining to human rights as well. Throughout our three week stay in the Netherlands, we participated in lectures by well-versed instructors about topics that ranged from Black diasporic music and literature to Trans* Issues in Netherlands and visited organizations such as The Hangout, a safe space for LGBTQ+ teens, in Rotterdam. My sole experience does not determine the one you may have, but I know that there will be certain sentiments that will remain the same, such as missing the glistening canals as you make your way through the city, the feeling of hunger as you walk past that one bakery on your way to the office that resembled the ones you saw in Disney cartoons, and understanding that being around individuals with the same sense of motivation to make the community they live in a better place is rare and should be cherished.

• Personal Development

Netherlands: opening up the door to talk about gender and sexual studies

I really enjoyed my experience at SIT, and would definitely recommend the program to anyone interested in studying human rights from the perspective of a different country. The program opened my eyes to the different problems the LGBTQ+ community faces all around the world, and the different work being done to eradicate the prejudice the individuals in this community face every day. I would say this program helped me be a better ally to my LGBTQ+ friends and family which I will be eternally grateful for. This program not only allows you to learn more about human rights, but also allows you to travel the beautiful country of The Netherlands, and learn about its complicated history. Overall, it was a special and enlightening experience.

The Netherlands experience

My time traveling with the Experiment in the Netherlands was unparalleled by any other adventure I'd gone on so far. We were treated with respect and given independence while discovering a new and exciting culture, and had wonderful opportunities to meet locals and get a thorough history of the Netherlands. I ate delicious food, slept comfortably in our beautiful hostels, made wonderful connections both with my group and my co-leaders, and was greatly inspired to start volunteering back at home. This trip was amazing, and I recommend the Experiment for a safe and happy learning experience.

Living in the Netherlands

The program was only 4 weeks, but I felt as if I've lived there for a while at the end of the program. My group was relatively small, with only 11 others kids from all over the US. Everyone already had some type of background on the program theme, but we were all excited to learn more.

We spent the 4 weeks mainly in Amsterdam with our host families for about 3/4 weeks. Some people got single family households while some got siblings! We were all spread out throughout Amsterdam and had to learn how to navigate the city with the buses and trams. I lived about 40 minutes away from the centrum by public transport (where we met everyday), so I had quite the commute. This is the aspect of the program that I felt more culturally immersed because I had a home in the city, went to the office everyday, and learned little things about Dutch culture along the way.

In the times where we weren't with our host families, the group would take weekend trips in cities throughout the Netherlands such as Utrecht, Rotterdam, Sneek, and the Hague! We would stay in hostels with one another and go biking pretty often! You really learn a lot on this program and I can say that the amount of museums and speakers we've visited gave me a lot to take away. We were even conveniently there for Amsterdam PRIDE, which was such an amazing experience. We had a lot of free time to explore the city and visit museums together as a group! Rules were always set in stone to make sure that we were safe such as being home by midnight, being in groups of 3, and staying in communication with our host families.

This trip was such a great learning experience overall. My group & group leaders were one of the best travelling companions I could ask for.