Netherlands: Perspectives on Sexuality & Gender
SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

Netherlands: Perspectives on Sexuality & Gender

Life Changing experience

I went into the program not knowing what to expect and I came out with experiences that will shape my life forever. In this program I was pushed to view my American sexual education in a different light when comparing it to the education in the Netherlands. From an exhibit about sex in the Amsterdam Children's Museum to the sexual education that begins in kindergarten, I fell in love with the open attitudes people have about sex. We had amazing speakers in the classroom who were all so knowledgable in their field. But really the best part of the trip for me was the people I went with. The group leaders were so good about making sure we safe and having fun. And the other students were some of the most open minded and inclusive people you could ever meet. By the end of the three weeks I felt like I had created a family with them. I will never forget the late night talks with my roommates about everything from gay hookup culture to police brutality. Before lessons in the morning those early to the office would have coffee together and talk about activism and queer* culture and sexual education. That is the kind of environment that this program fosters. This program was full of learning both inside and outside of the classroom.

An amazing experience

I really enjoyed and got a lot out of this program. The academics perfectly complemented and expanded upon my studies at my home institution, and gave me an opportunity to explore these concepts outside of an American context. I made great friends with other SIT students and developed a close and lasting relationship with my host family. I struggled during the ISP period with the lack of structure, but at the same time appreciated the opportunity to pursue my own academic interests so independently. I really got to explore Amsterdam and totally fell in love with the city and can't wait for an opportunity to go back.

Netherlands: gender equality and human rights/ experiment in international living

This trip was one of the most influential and life changing experiences I have ever had the opportunity to participate in. Our group consisted of approximately 14 like-minded students from around the world. All participants were eager to learn, engage, and bring what they learned back to their communities and offer insight from where they are from. Our group leaders were fantastic and more than qualified to lead. We were taught about various subjects including activism, feminism, sex education, sex work, and women's rights. We were in interactive classes being taught by people who are professionals in their field of study. Although the classes were a large part of the program, we had excursions to surrounding cities. This was easily the best thing I have ever been apart of and strongly encourage anyone even considering this program to go ahead and take the leap. You won't regret it.

Overall a really great trip!

I throughly enjoyed my time in the Netherlands. Not only was the group of students on the program incredibly accepting, kind, and inclusive, but the activities set up for us were engaging and educational. Some of my favorite excursions included the tour of the Red Light District and the boat tour of the canals. The program allowed all of the students lots of freedom to explore Amsterdam and spend time in the main part of the city which gave all of the students lots of independence. Though we had the opportunity to be independent, there was also a lot of time spent in the group taking classes and going on trips which allowed us to all become very close. One thing that I would change is the location of the home-stays; I was pretty far from the main part of the city and had to commute for at least 80 minutes everyday.