India: Public Health, Policy Advocacy, and Community
SIT Study Abroad participant SIT Study Abroad participant

India: Public Health, Policy Advocacy, and Community

Best experience ever

This program was the greatest experience of my life. The people I met, the places I went, and the things I learned will stay with me forever. The group leaders (both American and Indian) were some of the wisest, nicest, inspiring people I have ever met. The culture shock was insane, India is a crazy, overwhelming place, but it is also beautiful, incredible, and inspiring. The people are so welcoming and warm, and love that you want to learn about their country. This trip is so worth going on, I learned more than I thought I ever could, became life-long friends with incredible people, and became passionate about public health.

Challenging, safe, life-changing experience

I truly sing the praises of the Public Health, Policy Advocacy, and Community program in India to anyone who will listen. I spent the Fall semester of my junior year in 2015 studying in Delhi with SIT, and it was the greatest choice I have made in my academic career thus-far. I wanted a program that pushed me outside of my comfort zone and was not something I ever could have experienced in a classroom at Williams College, my home institution. This semester did that and more. I learned about healthcare practices and policy in India through an experiential-based model, doing workshops at long-functioning NGOs and speaking with doctors, midwives, and community health workers at District Hospitals and Community Health Centers; I spoke with people from the WHO and with Indian government officials; I led an independent study project by myself in rural Uttar Pradesh on maternal health access and outcomes. But the best part of the program lies in the staff and support through the SIT program in Delhi. Our professors were our teachers but also our parents away from home, helping us push ourselves to the limits of our comfort zones as juniors in college, while feeling safe and confident all the way. I felt supported 24/7 in all my new experiences. This program impacted my approach to my classes, education, and goals for a future career in healthcare back in the states, and led me to get a Fulbright-Nehru fellowship continuing public health research with connections I made during my independent study on the program.

SIT is wonderful

My SIT program in India was fantastic-well ran and with great excursions and immersion experiences.