Taku Watershed Conservation Program
Ruby Mountain Data Collection Along the Ridgeline Ruby Mountain Data Collection Along the Ridgeline

Taku Watershed Conservation Program

Round River was incredibly life changing!!!

Doing a Round River semester this summer in British Columbia was one of the best experiences of my life. I feel so lucky to have had this opportunity. This summer was the most fun, educational, productive, and emotionally rewarding time of my life. I will forever be thankful for the things I learned. My instructors were incredibly intelligent and compassionate people which made the entire experience quite unreal. Round River is an absolutely amazing organization and I feel lucky to have had the chance to work with them this summer to help out with conservation research. I urge EVERYONE to apply. This experience was full of exciting and life changing moments!

Living in tents and around base camp was an incredible experience. Sleeping outside for 6 straight weeks was utterly calming and I loved it. Base camp was a small cabin that we went to lectures, cooked, and did work. Everything was amazing!

We all cooked together and I actually learned a lot about cooking. I was always well fed and happy throughout the summer!

This experience was so special because Round River has so many connections with the Tlingit First Nation and we had many opportunities to meet incredible people and learn about their culture and history. This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

I learned an incredible amount about the ecology and natural history of the area. I also learned a lot about what field studies include and some methods around them. Another huge aspect of this course was learning about the Tlingit First Nation People and their rich history. There are so many things that I learned on this course that benefits my life everyday.

Best Experience in the Boreal!

I honestly can say that I had the most amazing summer. I loved being in Atlin, BC. I really enjoyed being in the field each day, I feel that this was the best method to learn about such a different place. I was able to put tangible items to the concepts we were learning about and that helped to solidify a lot of things for me. I always felt safe in my group, my program leaders did the best job at providing us with information and guidance any time we needed it. I met so many amazing people this summer. I especially enjoyed meeting so many community members. I also look forward to staying in touch with my group mates (who were also really amazing). If you are a part of a science related major (zoology, botany, geology, environmental studies, etc.) I would HIGHLY recommend this program.

Amazing summer in BC

I learned a lot about the natural history of the area, conservation efforts, and the Taku River Tlingit First Nation (TRTFN) with Round River this past summer. We went out on day hikes in the Atlin area to conduct our field work as well as record our opportunistic sightings of wildlife. The area is remote and just stunning. In the middle of the program, we hiked to the Nakina River and spent a few days on the river, which has significant cultural meaning to the Tlingit. We also had the opportunity to interact and talk to these Tlingit community members over home-cooked meals and even a boat ride! These experiences shifted my understanding of conservation biology to a more nuanced and complex understanding. The program instructors, having done this program for more than five years, knew the area extremely well and were awesome to get to know. Truly a program I would recommend.

6-weeks to be had in The Canadian Backcountry

Program was fun. RRCS's BC program allowed us to immerse ourselves into the Taku Tlingit culture. Not only did we learn about the culture, but also went on various hikes throughout the region. While on the trip, we received the opportunity to meet various local Tlingit and get their insight. As salmon is historically a huge part of Tlingit culture, one can expect to eat lots of salmon while learning about its importance! Periodic readings supplement the use of a textbook that discuss the history of the Tlingit and why the name 'Round River' stands for what it is. Lots of wildlife and miles upon miles of mountain ranges to be enjoyed! For the individual who is interested in conservation methodology and looking to escape society and be electronically cut off from the world, this would be the program for you.

Superb Summer Field Studies Program

Round River really has this program dialed in. There is so much to learn and see while you are out in the backcountry, and yet it is balanced so well with course material that you don't feel under pressure. Gorgeous scenery on the hikes and some truly special people that you get to meet from the community. All around a fantastic experience for anyone who wants to get outside for the summer and also have a good learning opportunity at the same time.

Transformative

I had a phenomenal time in the Taku last summer. The experience had so many different, and yet equally wonderful, facets. We hiked mountains, worked on research projects, learned about conservation biology and natural history, met and spoke with local people, etc., all the while living in a beautiful, remote town in northwestern British Columbia. It entirely changed the way I view conservation biology and made me think deeply about how humans interact with their landscapes and environments. We also had terrific leaders and a great group of nine students. Couldn't have asked for much more! Round River is an important organization that's doing important work, so it was also great to feel as if you were a piece of that.

Summer in the Taku

The summer Taku program combines academics with field experience that you can’t get anywhere else. The leaders have been working in BC for years and have a remarkable knowledge of the area, as well as connections with many of the locals, which allows students to meet many Taku River Tlingit community members. Additionally the small group size allows students to get out into some very remote areas, which make for incredible backpacking trips and field experience. Fantastic program, and great summer adventure!

So Thankful

My experiences during the summer of 2014 have done so much for me already. I have learned so much, both science related and not, and have already been offered internships thanks to this amazing program.

I loved it

I loved it and would love to do another. It was an intimate experience that I wouldn't get any where else with another program.