Medicine in Nepal with Projects Abroad (2-Week High School Special)

Medicine in Nepal with Projects Abroad (2-Week High School Special)

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Best 2 weeks of my life

The two weeks I spent in Chitwan on the high school special medicine project might have been the best 2 weeks of my life. Not only did I help out at hospitals and acquire a passion for a doctors work but I also made friends from around the globe who shared the same aspiration and interests as I did. Each step of the way our coordinators made sure we felt completely safe and addressed any complaint or problem positively and made us feel completely at home. Our placements were interesting as each day we had a different hospital and were able to see surgical procedures and everyday doctor-patient interactions and all the doctors were really friendly and answered all our doubts and sometimes asked us to help out to get a hands on experience. Our project had exact mixture of free time, nepali culture and medicine, We had enough time to ourselves to strengthen friendships, enough time to learn about the country we were in, explore it and go sightseeing, along with enough time to learn about why we were on the trip.
Hands down I would recommend any this trip to anyone who wants an abroad experience.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review February 02, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Hi Umer. It's great to hear you had such a great time and that this experience made you passionate about a career in medicine. That's what we are all about! Thank you for sharing!

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Take Me Back To Nepal

Projects Abroad staff is so supportive and responsive. They helped me figure out what the program was about, plan my trip and flight, and answered questions about what to pack and what to expect. I must have sent at least twenty emails to them, and they were all replied to in a timely manner - less than a day usually!
I stayed in Hotel Lion (Kathmandu) and Hotel Global (Chitwan). They were clean, had friendly staff members, amazing AC, good food, and wifi, which was a lot better than I had expected. My placement was in Chitwan, where I was allowed to visit a variety of different hospitals - general, eye, cancer, family planning etc. Many of the hospital staff spoke English, and were therefore able to explain specific procedures and tools to us. I got to watch several abortions, an afterbirth, eye surgeries, and a redressing of a cancer patient. I even got to use some of the equipment and perform simple check-up tasks.
Not only did we get to visit the hospitals, but we also get personal lectures and lessons by the doctors there. We got a lesson on the history of tuberculosis, and an anatomy lesson at the Chitwan Medical Center where we were allowed to examine real human organs and preserved bodies.
We also paid a visit to a local children's school, where we taught them how to brush their teeth. It was a nice change of pace from the hospitals, and really allowed us to get to know the Nepalese. The kids are just so cute.
On the weekend, we were whisked off to Chitwan National Park, where we went on a canoeing tour and an exhausting but exhilarating three-hour hike. It actually started raining an hour into our hike! It was wet, sure, but it helped with the heat and humidity, and added to the fun and spontaneity of the experience.
This trip has been one of the best trips I've ever taken. Thanks Projects Abroad!

The International Volunteer Programs Association