CELTA courses in the centre of Barcelona. Join us!
Oxford TEFL Header Image Oxford TEFL Header Image

CELTA courses in the centre of Barcelona. Join us!

• Published Content

Course is good but the company is money hungry

Had a good experience during the TEFL course; met great people and learned a lot. The tutors seem to be quite inflexible in how you teach during the lesson observations. You need to fit the style of each tutor (you have a different one every week), or else your feedback is horrible. I also got a lot of mixed feedback (too much circulation, too little circulation). I am a qualified secondary science teacher with formal university training and 2 years of experience teaching. A lot of the feedback and suggestions given to me went against a lot of the standard pedagogy practicies and theories that are practiced in schools in the Western society.
In addition, as a CANADIAN citizen, I was eligible for the Working Holiday Visa, but Regina, the visa coordinator back then, advised me that this was not possible for this program. This was COMPLETELY wrong, so I ended up spending about 3500 euros that I didn't need to spend. I was also asked to write a review for Oxford TEFL on their webpage, which I agreed to, but they decided to cut the part about Canadians not needing a student visa to be able to work in Spain. Completely immoral; just trying to scam people out of thousands of euros by not telling them all available options and actually providing the wrong information in order to make money for the company.
Also, the job seeking help that they offer is just an excel spreadsheet of all recent graduates that are sent out to a list of schools. That's it. Oh, but they do help you with CV writing.
I would strongly strongly STRONGLY advise against doing the Student Visa program that allows you to work 20hrs/week. They make you attend every single class (even if you are a native Spanish speaker, they won't let you switch classes to another language, for example Catalan), they keep track of your in-class participation, and you need to write a 1000 word essay every month, which is graded. If you fail to meet any of their requirements, you risk being reported to the government by Kate, the coordinator of the Developing Teaching Course. I understand wanting to follow the requirements of the student visa, but they don't follow all the rules themselves. Oh by the way, even if you do this Student Visa thing, you will most likely be working illegally anyway. You need to get a Work Authorization from your place of work, but NO school/academy will give you this, including Oxford House itself!!!! Hahahaha... they hire teachers illegally and pay them under the table, but are covering their backs by making students do all this extra work for nothing!! Oh also, during the developing teacher classes, we normally just sit there while Billy asks us to discuss amongst ourselves, "What did you learn in Spanish class this week?" "what have you tried in your lessons that you thought went well?" or take 30 minutes explaining how to use Google Docs........ it's a COMPLETE waste of time! I'd rather an hour session of students sharing good practice (which is basically what it is, but a lot of time is wasted on really useless information). I don't know a single DTS student that is happy with it. They all move to TEFL Iberia, where its less than half the price of Oxford House, and you don't need to attend any classes. They just leave you alone and let you live and work!!!

• Oxford TEFL responded to this review June 22, 2018 at 8:06 AM

Hello, thank you for your review. We would like to apologise about the misinformation about the working holiday visa. We have updated the visa service and our website to include this option for Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders which we were not aware of when you applied for your course in 2016.

Our Developing Teacher with Spanish course meets the requirements of the long-term student visa in order to apply for work authorization. We provide this at Oxford House for anyone we offer a contract to. If you are not working for us then we are unable to provide this work authorization.

It is a requirement of the Spanish consulate that on the long-term student visa you must study for 20 hours per week – any organization which is not enforcing this is breaking the law and may face closure or a heavy fine if found out. In addition to this, other course providers may offer courses for a visa application but they do not include Spanish classes, accreditation by Instituto Cervantes or a program which includes the required study time to legally apply or keep your visa.

Participants of any course as part of the long-term student visa are required to attend at least 80% of classes which provides some flexibility. As the name suggests, the Developing Teacher with Spanish course is for developing teaching skills and taking Spanish classes. It is not possible to offer this course with Catalan classes because we don’t provide Catalan classes in our school.

The fees mentioned in your review which were paid include the initial accredited TEFL certification and the 6 months of the Developing Teacher course (a total of 614 training hours).

Over the last two years, we have been through a full process of tutorials and feedback with all Developing Teacher with Spanish trainees and made continuous improvements to the workshop sessions and course in general to ensure they are more relevant to the trainees.

Regarding the careers service, this includes unlimited face to face and email support, including interview preparation, CV writing, and advice/ recommendations of schools to apply to. We also contact our database of schools for you and have a dedicated Facebook page for work which is updated extremely frequently with jobs in Spain and around the world. It is not a job placement service which we make as clear as possible on our website, communications and documentation provided to our applicants. We will endeavor to continue to find ways of making this as clear as possible.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is always useful for us to receive so that we can continue to improve our service. Best of luck with your teaching.

Trinity certTESOL at the Oxford TEFL in Barcelona

I researched other schools and am so happy I chose Oxford House to obtain my Trinity CertTESOL as they have the best reputation! After completing the course it is easy to understand why: the facilities, teaching resources and especially the teachers are the best I have ever come across. Everyone at Oxford House is so nice and always available to help in any way.

The month-long intensive course was very challenging and indeed very intensive! However, the tutors were there the whole time to help in every way possible. The assignments were also explained very thoroughly and help was always there if needed. I was also very lucky to have such amazing classmates to share my experience and could not have made it through the course without them! Overall, this was one of the best educational experiences of my life and I am so grateful for everyone at Oxford House!

Perfect time at Oxford house

I've been to Barcelona, Spain to study the Trinity CertTESOL at the Oxford TEFL. I had a wonderful time there since the course was really perfect to me. I've learnt a lot of new things not only teaching knowledge but also inspirations, motivations and other things.

I loved the time I was there with experienced, supportive, informative, helpful teachers, friendly classmates and modern falicities.

The trinity CertTESOL course was challenged for me actually. And I could not have done it without help and motivations from the course director, my tutors and friends.

Thank you!

• Course Instructor

Amazing TEFL program in Barcelona!

Such an amazing experience getting my CertTESOL Certificate at Oxford House Barcelona. The staff and teachers are all very helpful and experienced. The 4 week program is intense (as they say in the brochure) but with the help of my peers and the teachers we pulled through! One month out and I felt confident to interview with a company and I got a full time teaching job! Thanks for all the help Oxford House!

An intensive experience

This programme is certainly intensive are well-prepared for this. The pre-course activity is done online and was a very useful introduction to grammar and lesson-planning, but of course nothing is the same as standing in a class in front of real students- this is the heart of this course and the great advantage of a 4-week intensive.
The course consists of input sessions on language, observation of experienced teachers and peers, and your own teaching practice.
I found the venue, professionalism and skills of the tutors and course materials to be of the highest standard. This is a very supportive environment and an excellent start to a career in TEFL, with great careers support also.
I would highly recommend coming to Oxford House Barcelona for a great TEFL training and all-round experience!

Excellent program

The OxfordTEFL Teacher Training course was a crash course to becoming an English teacher. Starting on the third day, we were already in front of real students teaching them English. Along the way, we were supported by experienced teachers and tutors; and we were always given feedback on how to improve. As the course progressed, we became more autonomous with our lesson planning, yet still received the same quality feedback on our lessons. I 100% recommend the OxfordTEFL Teacher Training course. It is structured, practical, and well worth it. I am now confident in developing lesson plans and carrying them out. Do this program, you won't regret it!

Invaluable experience

The month-long TESOL course at OxfordTEFL Barcelona was nothing short of fantastic. I had amazing teachers who provided extremely useful knowledge and ideas, guidance and support for teaching practice, and well-organised input sessions in order to be able to teach in future and be able to explain and dissect information easily. The facilities were great, and the location is right in the heart of the city. Almost all of the things I'd learnt during the TESOL course were completely new to me, and the information and experience I've garnered in the month alone are extremely invaluable. I would recommend taking the TESOL course with OxfordTEFL Barcelona to anyone willing to learn from and be guided by some fantastic tutors and instructors.

SUPER DUPER!!

This course was great!! It was like climbing a very tall mountain, with friends!!! Be prepared for a mountain of work, however the support is amazing. Apparently you can never ask too many questions. i would advise anybody doing this to learn the content in the pre-course task, this will really help your journey.

Great TEFL programme

I had a great time on the Oxford Tefl course and would really recommend it. It is definitely intensive: you won't have time to do much else during the week, but it's doable. You're thrown in at the deep-end, teaching your own lesson in the first week which can be daunting but it's useful to get the experience straight away to start getting a feel for teaching and recognising what you need to work on. You get lots of input sessions to learn the theory behind what you're teaching and how to apply it. Sometimes it feels like you could do with having some more time to consolidate your knowledge, but by the end of the course I felt like I'd understood everything and had really got a lot out of it.

Comprehensive TESOL course

I completed a one month TESOL course with Oxford TEFL in February/March 2017. It gives participants a great insight into what it takes to teach and plan lessons for non-native English learners. The tutors were always willing to help and provided a lot of support. Students were given minimum four hours a week teaching, observed or unobserved. It is a great way to get your first experience of teaching in an understanding and positive environment. Would greatly recommend it!

TEFL course

Even though the course was quite intense, it was really fun and informative. I felt that the course gave us enough support during our teaching. however I feel that I could have gotten a bit more support with lesson planning. I would definitely recommend the course.

Very, very helpful!

I debated taking an online, 40-hour certificate program and am so happy I chose OxfordTEFL instead! I received tremendous hands-on experience, lots of good input, feedback, developed a network of colleagues and career assistance. The experience of actually teaching classes, making mistakes and learning from them was crucial and would not have been found elsewhere!

• Course Instructor

Good, but could always be better

This course was great, but they sort of threw you into a classroom without any real preparation. Also, the tutors were so busy with their own work that it was hard to get help from them outside the time allotted. Also, we learned a lot by making mistake after mistake rather than being taught the real proper way to do things until after we'd already been in the classroom for a week or two. I think the experience itself was great though and the tutors did attempt to support as much as they could. A lot of the input sessions were also very useful and helped a lot in learning the student's perspective.

Worth it

There are a lot of questionable tefl courses out there. This isn't one. Great support and a thorough programme. Tutors offer constructive criticism and are demanding but very supportive. Admin staff are also very friendly and helpful. What's more, you'll be doing the course in a beautiful city. The school was recommended to me by friends and colleagues and I would do the same without hesitation.

Intense but good!

I thought that the course was good, wayyyyy too intense though, it could have been stretched over another week to take the pressure off! But I learnt soooo much and the tutors were always there to give additional help when needed. The teachers actually went above and beyond to give me extra help and make sure I had the information I needed!

• Course Instructor

My first venture into teaching

I've had a great experience on the oxford Tefl Barcelona. I've always felt very well supported and felt the training is very appropriate and challenging - an ideal start to anyone's teaching career. I believe the class size is perfect to get a good dynamic for learning. All in all, the course has very much exceeded my expectations in every way.

TEFL review

The course was definitely worth the money. I started the course having had no prior teaching experience and little knowledge of the ins and outs of English grammar. In 4 weeks I have learnt so much and actually free more than prepared to teach. The teaching practice is scary at first but you soon begin to love the thrill of seeing the students (real language learners of all ages) using the language you have taught them! I would recommend this course but be aware it is intense but you get all the support you need. You get back what you put into it! Also the qualification is one of the best so you can take this anywhere and know you'll be able to get work.

TEFL Barcelona

Had a fantastic 4 weeks here at Oxford House in Barcelona. The course is extremely intensive but the support i received made it manageable. A fantastic learning experience, learned so much from some incredibly experienced and passionate Tutors. We were a small group and all got along well and have been a great support to each other. Looking forward to putting into practice my newly learned skills.

Learning to teach

This month long course opened my eyes to the methods of great teaching.
OxfordTEFL offer fantastic tutor-trainee ratios, meaning the feedback and personal attention received is superb. The school is spacious, modern, and has all the equipment you could ask for.

I heartily recommend it if you're considering studying for a TEFL abroad. The Trinity CertTESOL is without doubt fantastically informative, formative and practical.

• Course Instructor

Great start and informative information to get your self started in teaching English

I enjoyed the modules and the reading, as a lot of the content are up to date with current articles and teaching strategies that help me understand more about teaching English. The online course provides an abundant of resources that helps with the learning and understanding of what it takes to teach English. The assignments reflects what was taught and the one-on-one skype meetings and feedback really did help open my eyes to what I can do to improve and enhance my awareness to become a better teacher. I also like the fact that from each lesson after the next gives a better understanding of the previous lessons and in the end the accumulation of all the lessons prepares you for the final assignment after each module.

• Oxford TEFL responded to this review October 14, 2016 at 3:25 AM

Thank you for your comments and review. You have reviewed the Online TEFL Starter course (not the Trinity CertTESOL course in Barcelona as has been indicated here). We hope to see you on the full course in Barcelona at some point in the future!

Oxford TEFL Barcelona

I went into this course already having teaching experience (studied elementary and special education), but no training in teaching English. For me, it was absolutely worth it. The course is very intensive but extremely practical. You begin teaching on day 2, but with supervision and hands-on support of your own tutor and any of the other tutors supporting during the daily lesson planning hour. I loved being able to apply the methods taught in input sessions right away in teaching practice. The speed is exhausting and you never feel like you have quite enough time to process and practice, but at the same time you grow so much in a month and gain a ton of confidence. There was some busywork involved, mainly the learner profile assignment, which seemed unnecessarily long, but in general the written output required is purposeful. We all switched teaching practice classes midway through the course - an added challenge, but really useful to practice teaching a different level. Overall highly recommended!

Intense but amazing

I just finished the Cert TESOL course... It was a lot of work in a very short amount of time, however I feel like I am prepared to find a job and start teaching right away. You will start teaching classes during the course, so you get hands on, real world experience from Day 1. There is A LOT of busy work, but it is mostly useful and keeps your mind thinking about teaching and how to improve.

You will form amazing friendships - you spend a lot of time with the people in your class. And the support from Oxford House is wonderful! All of the tutors are knowledgeable and eager to help. The career support is lifelong and worldwide. Overall, a great program, just be prepared to put in long hours and remember that it only lasts for one month!

Great starter course

If you are interested in teaching English as a second language, or think you are, then the Online TEFL Starter course is for you. The course addresses all of the primary facets of teaching, learning, and the English language, and distills them into easily digestible pieces. These pieces, coupled with the expert guidance of the tutor, give you a clear idea of what to expect from the full course. Something else this course accomplishes is it shows you just how well prepared the Oxford TEFL team is to serve your needs, both during the course and after if you choose to pursue the full Cert TESOL. Go look at the websites of the competing language schools in the area, and what they offer. From the website layout and design, the responsiveness of the staff before, during and after the course, to the services and support they offer after the course, I would not consider any other school. My wife and I will be attending the full course in Prague in May 2017.

Oxford TEFL Business English course

I took the 3 week online Oxford Tefl Business English Course. I found the materials and support very helpful, logic and clear. I had weekly Skype calls with my tutor who was very encouraging and useful in pointing out points of improvement.

The information offered to me included useful links to sites to use for teaching, where I could find short videos, bits of interesting news to incorporate into my lessons.

The modules based most of their lessons on videos which I found were very easy to follow and allowed you to go through the content quickly.

The tasks I had to complete were always extremely relevant to the material I had been using while learning and they were really aimed at ensuring I had understood and was making the most of what I had been taught.

Very interesting!

For me the Clil course was very interesting and useful as it provided me with essential tips for my daily practice. I found very interesting readings that helped me in my knowledge about Clil. Also, tutors are very helpful and kind. I highly recommend the Clil course!