Operation Wallacea - Madagascar
Operation Wallacea Operation Wallacea

Operation Wallacea - Madagascar

Opwall Madagascar June 2017 - Would go back in a heartbeat if I could!

I embarked on the 2 week terrestrial Madagascar Opwall expedition back in June and I can't fault it - If you love the outdoors, wildlife, meeting people you'll never forget and immersing yourself in a completely different lifestyle and culture to that at home, this is the trip for you. I've never learnt and experienced so much in such a short space of time and if you're umming and ahhing about the cost - it's worth it. It's definitely up there with the best 2 weeks of my life!

A Perfect Trip

It has been an amazing and unique experience that allowed me to learn a lot about different topics and at the same time realise what I like, for example before the trip I never thought I would like snakes and now I love them! This trip was perfect, I met amazing people and the fact of learning about such different culture, such as the Malagasy culture, and realising how poor that county is, helped me realise how much we should thank for what we have. I hope to join Operation Wallace again in the next few years, and hopefully learn every time more and more!

Six weeks in Madagascar 2017

I went to Madagascar summer of 2017 for 6 weeks as a research assistant and I loved every second I was there. I never felt unsafe and I didn't meet anyone who was unkind or unfriendly. The locals are such lovely people and the children brimmed with endless enthusiasm to see vasahas (foreigners). It was wonderful to come to a country for a scientific purpose and study some species that had not even been scientifically classified! I spent 5 weeks at the terrestrial site (specialising in herpitology) and the last week at the marine site. If you get the chance take it! I plan to go back next year to do my dissertation :)

An amazing 6 weeks in Madagascar

After landing in Antananarivo and for the whole 6 weeks I stayed in the forest, and in the 3 awesome camps, I felt safe and I enjoyed every moment of my stay. Madagascar is an amazing country which I feel honoured to have visited; this expedition with Operation Wallacea has taught me loads about the biodiversity in the study area, immersing myself with the local culture and surviving for 6 weeks in a tent and realising that I really love camping and I wish I could be back there right now! I've met some amazing friends who I still meet up with and continue to share our memories of Madagascar 2017. I highly reccomend this expedition, it has been one of the best summers of my life and I feel so enthusiastic and prepared to write my dissertation, so thank you Operation Wallacea.

Madagascar 2017

Had an amazing time with OpWall, every day was organised so as to make the most of the time there. There was some time to get to know the locals and have some down time; although not much time was allocated to this, I am still very happy with the time organisation as I got the most out of being a research assistant. I stayed in tents for 4 weeks and loved it even though I don't camp that often back in the UK, and wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. All the staff are so lovely and treat you as their friend, and help make the time there as enjoyable as it can be.

Madagascar opwall experience

An amazing, once in a life time experience. Staff were super friendly and very approachable. The campsites were very well organised and the food provided was excellent, despite all the beans and rice served.

Want to go for another one next summer!

Definitely a life changing experience; met lots of nice people; really enjoy living in an out-of-contact place, being bored and seeking for fun from chatting with friends, reading, playing cards and writing diary

Madagascar 2017

The 6 week period I spent away with Operation Wallacea in Madagascar, was without doubt the best experience I've had in my life. Beginning to end, it was full of amazing new experiences. Though the journey to our campsite was long (13 hours of flying and another 17 hours of driving), it was worth it. Camping isn't always the most glamorous of lifestyles but living within the forest in such close proximity to all the wildlife was wonderful! The people (staff, locals and other volunteers) were all so welcoming and made the experience that bit more enjoyable! The food, given how out of the way we were staying, was a lot better than expected. Now getting onto the reason for my expedition - the wildlife. It was incredible, so many different organisms all in such a closely packed space. I'd never done anything like this before so had no idea what to expect, but it was brilliant (even when lemurs do their business on top of your tent...)! On the whole, a great experience.

Dissertation student

I had the most amazing 6 weeks learning about the wildlife of Madagascar (in the Mariarano forest). I got to experience this incredible country, and not only learn about its biodiversity, but its culture too. I met some fantastic people, both scientists and students, from Madagascar and around the world, who taught me so much and I have made contacts for life. This was all alongside collecting data for my dissertation (the impact of edge effects on reptiles). It was a fantastic fun-filled science-packed 6 weeks!