Love Volunteers participant with two local kids Love Volunteers participant with two local kids

Healthcare and Medical Program in Mombasa, Kenya

Making a difference - just not the one I had planned!

I had an awesome experience doing medical volunteering in Mombasa - although due to the political situation with doctors being on strike I didn't actually get to do any work in the hospitals I was meant to be placed in. Which was lesson one - expect the unexpected and things never go to plan in Africa! Nonetheless I had an awesome experience working in small clinics that were still running and with the help on the NGO coordinator whose family I was living with I was able to help some of the local families in other ways too! Overall, it didn't go to plan at all but thanks to the support I had and the variety of options available in the local area for volunteering I still had the experience of a lifetime. I would say that in order to feel like you are making a true difference a longer stay would be needed -0 I was only there 4 weeks, but as this was my first volunteer trip I kept it short and this was a great taster!

• Love Volunteers responded to this review March 28, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Hi Simone,

What a wonderful testament to the realities of volunteering in a developing country!

Thanks so much for sharing this review to help future volunteers and for your open mindedness. It's this flexibility and positive attitude that we encourage in our volunteers and which ensures a rewarding and productive placement.

It seems that the strike by hospital doctors wasn't all bad news as it allowed you to contribute in the clinics and with local families. We cannot stress enough the impact that international volunteers have on these communities. Although it may seem like you play a very small part; the overall impact of volunteers really does help to make a difference to the mental and physical well-being of these people.

Thanks for being a completely awesome Love Volunteer and we wish you all the very best for your future endeavors.

The Team @ Love Volunteers