Working with Chinese Children through LoPair Au Pair China
LoPair Au Pair China Program participants LoPair Au Pair China Program participants

Working with Chinese Children through LoPair Au Pair China

Six months in Chongqing

I had a great experience in Chongqing. The family was very kind and helped me as often as they could. Sometimes it was a bit difficult because I often was just told that I have to understand everyone when there was a problem. But all the problems got solved. So if I could I would come to china again.

Best experience

I expected China and the time I would spend there to be great (or rather I hoped for both).
I didn't think it would be THAT great though...
Of course I was lucky, I had the best family I could wish for, super Chinese teacher and classmates as well as the funniest Aupairs with me in Beijing. Beijing was a big score on the good side as well. There are soo many things to be seen, visited and done that 6 months are not enough.
I many good things happen to me, but I still think to be openminded and calm about everything is the best way to deal with every culture clash and especially with China :)

• Professional Development

My au pair life in Beijing!

I had a great time in Beijing. The organisation helped me to find quick a good new family in January and after that my LC helped me to find new friends here and to have a good relationship with my host family!

• Professional Development

Best experience of my life.

LoPair is a good company. Of course everyone's experience is different. I was lucky enough to get placed with a good family. Don't give up on one bad review you read. Give it a try. It will be an experience you'll never forget.

The trip of my life !

Hi there, my name is Julian and this is my Story about my trip to China!

I started showing interest towards China during my last two years of high school back in Germany. I wanted, like my older sister did, to live (half) a year abroad. I wanted to experience something new, exciting, different. Soon I made it clear for myself, that I didn't want to go to any other western oriented country, like the States or Australia. So I kinda rushed the decision to go to China. Soon the time had come for me to pack my suitcase and catch my flight to Shanghai. During the flight, I realized, I had no clue where I was actually going. All I knew about China was that it was big and had many many people. A few days later I arrived in Beijing and joined that Chinese family I didn't really know anything about. In addition to that my Chinese was limited to „nihao“. So yeah, I really thought about whether this was a good decision or not !

But it turned out to be the trip of my life. My host kid, Tiger, was super lovely, all the family members and employees were very very nice. They treated me like I was a part of their big family and soon I stopped worrying at all. During the next 6 months I got to know the family, city and country by its many facets...and it was astonishing. China is so much more than smoggy cities and millions of people. It has the variety of an entire continent in it. It ranges from -30°C in Hohhot to 30°C and more in the southern parts of the country. The people are so different from what you are used to in western countries, yet they all seem so nice! The food is amazing and although it differs a lot from western food, it's just utterly delicious and there is something for everyone. I luckily got to see a lot of the country, including a trip to inner Mongolia and to Hainan. Both of these trips were a great experience and I can only recommend these places.

Also, here are some things that totally blew my mind. First of all, despite the effort made for Christmas, including a tree with decoration etc., we spent holy evening in a spa, which was way too funny for me to handle. And then there were the two new years. I spent both of them in Sanya, a City on the Island of Hainan. At the first new year, 31st of December, we went to sleep at 10 pm and that was it. I didn't really mind, yet I thought we would at least have a toast on the new year. The second one, the Chinese New Year, was simply amazing. The fireworks lasted for like 3 days and the celebration was huge. Where ever you went, there were these fancy red lamps and hangers, I felt like in wonderland. If you are lucky enough to experience the Chinese New Year, get ready for the biggest celebration you ever had!

Lastly, some information for whoever is planning to come to China as an Au Pair.

Whatever you heard about Chinese eating habits, it's probably true. They don't care about noises they do or how they look like, while eating. You should enjoy your meal, not spend half an hour to eat a hot soup without making any sounds. I totally agree with that, I hope you do too! The Chinese also tend to eat very early from what I've experienced. We often had lunch at 11 am and dinner at 5 pm.
Spontaneity is another thing. If they tell you, you're going leave at 5, be ready to go at 4:30 (might as well be 5:30). The best advice I can give, is to be flexible, open minded and take everything lightly.

If you do that, you're going to have an amazing time, just like me, and you'll be sad to leave this amazing country with its amazing inhabitants.

• Professional Development

Preparing to be an au pair in China

I lived in Beijing for 6 months and I loved it. I grew as a person and I would recommend it for lots of people. However there are lots of things that you should consider before coming. First location in the city, despite seeking like something not important enough to effect your choice of family, it is vital if you want to have an active social life. If possible bringing a laptop is advisable as it is a lot better than relying on your phone. Remember to get a VPN before you come to China. Also if you plan to play sports or join clubs in China, try and find them and contact them before you get to China as it makes it alot easier. The final thing to note while preparing to be an au pair China is that all families that you could choose from have both positive and negative things about them. It is important to remember that you aren't looking for the perfect family, as they don't exist, but you are looking for a family that you think has more positives than negative ones. For example, my family couldn't speak English so communication was hard. However I had weekends off and got a free gym membership. This may not be appealing everyone, but this trade off was great for me and I want effected badly by the lack of communication. Basically in saying all families are different and all have negative things about them, but that doesn't mean you won't have a great time living with them

Au pair in Beijing

This programme is great. Its the single best way to get to China for an extended amount of time for the least amount of money, especially as someone just out of school, or still studying for a qualification. I spent 3 months living in Beijing with an amazing family and an adorable child. I had plenty of time to explore the city and my mandarin improved significantly also. To the degree that i left with a internationally recognised qualification at the end of my time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes travel and adventure, as well as who likes working with kids.

• Professional Development

The experience of my life turned into the dream of my life!

Since I applied for the the chance to be AuPair and go abroad my normal life in Mexico. I just decided to be part of a new culture and involve myself on the experience I thought would be the most incredible one. Well, that's true... I lived the most excited and amazing chance in my life, 1st traveling since Canada, next flight to Shanghai, take a bus to Hangzhou with my new AuPairs friends and live such as party there. Go to Beijing and be part of this Chinese family and creating a goo environment and being sure everything what surrounds me was safe and comfortable.
Having a 2nd chance with another family and be the big brother for 2 amazing girls (Run Sheng 2 yo and Ning Ning 9 yo).
These girls changed my mind and made me the teacher, the cook, the nanny and even the bodyguard. I very appreciate my host family's trust, confidence and caring for me.
Where now at the place where I'll be in the future I know I created a little space in their hearts for me. These girls taught me more than I can teach em and without any doubt, they'll be my little sisters for the rest of my life. Now I know how it feels be part of the Chinese Culture and realise that everyone has the opportunity to change someone's life.
Be here, be now! This is what you have, this is what you are, but more importantly... You're the best part of the world when you love what you do and share with amazing kids your own way to live.
I never stopped to believe on what I can achieve, cuz I always know what's my deal.

• Professional Development

Good and enjoyable way to improve your your Chinese

My objective when I decided to join this program was to improve my Chinese during the holidays in a pleasant way. I have to say that my experience truly met my expectations. The family was very nice and warm with me, they did their best to share their culture with me (they took me to the countryside, cultural places) and I progressed a lot during these three months.

A very valuable experience

I stayed in a host family for 4 months and it was a very valuable experience for me. The feeling after your host child`s English slowly improves is one of the best ones I have experienced here. Doing an Au-pair stay was a good opportunity for me to learn more about China and the Chinese culture.
LoPair helped me whenever I was in need e.g. for the visa extension. I would definitely recommend this program to adventurous people who want to get to know something completely new.

A great experience

Although I was only with my host family 3 months, I will miss them all so much. They treated me like I was a part of their family. I now know a little Mandarin and have gotten an up close and hands on education of the Chinese culture. I have seen some of the many beautiful sites China has to offer. I have made many friends here, who I will undoubtably keep in touch with. Without LoPair and their very accommodating staff, I may have never gotten the chance to experience Beijing and other places in China as I have.

Very good

Overall I am highly satisfied with my experience as an au pair with Lopair in China. My host family was great, their demands were reasonable and flexible. The Mandarin and cultural classes organized by Lopair were good and the agency was fast at responding to any queries I might have had.

• Professional Development

Best experience of my life

It was the best experience I have ever lived so far. LoPair in Hangzhou has been amazing : great mandarin teacher and a local coordinator who became a friend. Will be back in Hangzhou for sure, soon I hope.

I had fun

Joey and Nancy made this experience better for me. a lot of support from them. my parents are now my real parents. i love my new family. i will still continue to support Leo so he grows up to be a fine young man. i am grateful for this experience.

My experience in Hangzhou

I stayed in Hangzhou For 3 months and I can say that this was a Great opportunity not only to visit such a beautiful city but also to improve my language skills. Moreover, I had the chance to live in a family who welcomed me very warmly and showed me how a traditional family lives. I am very satisfies with my experience.

Aupair in Beijing

For me going as Aupair to China to live with a Chinese family for 6 months was absolutely the right decision. I learned so many thing just for myself and had the opportunity to immerse in a totally different culture, thanks to my lovely hostfamily.

I would do it again!

Chinese people are very friendly and welcoming! They try to talk to you and get to know you.. you can make Friends easily.. the food is so good and different from what you know.. coming to China is also an amazing opportunity to learn Chinese and as the time goes by you will understand a lot!

Aupair in Haining

In total I am very happy with my experiences as an Aupair in Haining. I love my family and my little host brother. In the end I could deal with every problem I had. Haining is a little bit far away from Hangzhou. I'm the only Aupair here. I think that's besides the language a big problem because social life is not very easy. Culture shock wasn't a big problem for me. But for some aupairs it was. You have to be sure that you are in a totally different country. Different manners, different culture, different behavior. But its an amazing chance to get to know that interesting country.

6 months in Hangzhou

It’s not about the big gestures, but about the small ones that occur every day – that’s how I notice my experience as an Au Pair in China is successful.

I managed it to win Jason’s heart. It’s amazing how after such a short period of time I became a huge part of his life. When he hands me over some fruit or cares if I already eat enough to be full it nearly feels like I’d be home. I’m not only the one that helps him with his homework, picks him up from school or plays board games with him, I actually am like a new sister he truly cares about. Especially because he was such a shy boy at the beginning, it amazes me how natural and easy going the contact between the both of us is now. The moments we share laughter or inside jokes with each other are the bonding time we enjoy the most. During the week I not only bring him or pick him up from his extracurricular activities, we also love to do some reading after he finished his homework. We enjoy card games, board games or just playing with some boy toys. Every day is different.

I just finished my 6 month program in Hangzhou. All in all I have no problems and inconvenience during my stay. Winnie, Wendy and Joey really tried to make my experience as enjoyable as possible.

Travelling and experiencing

There is always some time I could find or arrange with my host family so I could travel and see more of the country and people than just the city you live in. Chinese People will always try to help you find your way and are very nice to foreigners in general.

LoPair - Au Pair life in Beijing

Hello there,
My name is Tom, I'm from Germany and I just spent the last 6 months in Beijing.
The time in China will always be present in my memory for it gave me so many
interesting impressions and experiences.
For instance you get to know a new culture, in some ways radically different than
what you might be used to. And unlike vacation you have the opportunity to live
with an indigenous family, so you can experience everything 'first-hand'.
What also contributed greatly to my amazing time here was my host family.
They were super friendly and supported me in every way they could, treated me as
one of their own. Fortunately, my host parents could speak some English so
communication was almost never a problem.
Working with my host children was mostly fun, although Chinese children can be
really spoiled compared to what I was used to. On the other hand they just
come home at 4pm despite being only 8 and 11.
Most of my free time I spent with other au pairs in Beijing (for there are many
in the capital). Talking, travelling, having class or simply sharing a meal
with people from all over the world made me really appreciate the opportunity
of this program. Since I was in Beijing there was always something to do,
whether it was the 798 art district or one of the numerous parks, or (at night)
one of the many fancy clubs in which you can get for free as a foreigner.
Coming to a completely unfamiliar country with no or almost no knowledge of
the language is a step which requires a lot of courage. So it is nice and
reassuring to have somebody you can contact when having all sorts of problems.
Whether it's something mundane like communication or something serious and you
really need to get out of a family. LoPair can help you with that. They also
provide language courses and culture classes to give you the means to get around
in your every-day life and to introduce you to the diverse Chinese culture.

Lopair- Au pair in Shenzhen

Hi.~
I'm Roberta, I'm Italian and actually I'm an au pair in Shenzhen . Shenzhen is a very big city and it's the most important economic centre in the Southern China. I define it as a city without a soul, because it's very new. So if you like Chinese history of art, I think it's not the city for you.
In any case, I'm really enjoying my time here in China, also because of my gorgeous host family. My host family is made up of six persons: mum, dad, Benjamin, Coco, grandpa and gradma.
Benjamin is almost ten years old and is an extremely active boy. He loves playing football and watching Harry Potter.
Coco is a sweet six years old girl, who loves watching films and playing "uno". Usually, during the day, I spend more time with the Coco, because Benjamin has a lot of training course to follow. Sometimes I think the Chinese families are really exaggerated and these poor kids don't have any time to play.
Anyway, I think my host family is amazing and they treat me like a member of the family.
I believe that being an au pair in China is an fantastic experience which make you grow up and become more indipendent, even if sometimes it's difficult, because the culture and some behaviours are really different from ours. But if you have any problem, Lopair can help you to deal with it.
Lopair also provide Chinese cultural class and Mandarin class which help you to communicate with the members of your host family and, in geral, with those people, who don't know English.
I really raccomended this experience with Lopair, because they really take care of their au pairs.

Hello

Very good organisation and effort from LoPair organisation, welcome camp was very helpful for learning the basics and getting acquainted with other aupairs. Very tough experience but just as equally rewarding

• Professional Development

A summer full of new experiences.

Overall I have enjoyed my summer as an Au Pair in China. There were of course a few difficulties especially regarding my health but it did not spoil anything for me. My host family was great to live with despite some of our differences and I could not have met kinder people here. It's a truly worthwhile opportunity and I would urge anyone who loves children and wants to learn about a new culture to go for it. I could not be more glad that I took this opportunity when it came to me.

Au pair review

I really enjoyed being an au pair. i got to see the city of Shanghai and other cities as well. my family was really awesome and the kids were super great to work with. It was challenging at times and stressful, but it was worth it in the end