Working with Chinese Children through LoPair Au Pair China
LoPair Au Pair China Program participants LoPair Au Pair China Program participants

Working with Chinese Children through LoPair Au Pair China

Six months in Chongqing

I had a great experience in Chongqing. The family was very kind and helped me as often as they could. Sometimes it was a bit difficult because I often was just told that I have to understand everyone when there was a problem. But all the problems got solved. So if I could I would come to china again.

Best experience

I expected China and the time I would spend there to be great (or rather I hoped for both).
I didn't think it would be THAT great though...
Of course I was lucky, I had the best family I could wish for, super Chinese teacher and classmates as well as the funniest Aupairs with me in Beijing. Beijing was a big score on the good side as well. There are soo many things to be seen, visited and done that 6 months are not enough.
I many good things happen to me, but I still think to be openminded and calm about everything is the best way to deal with every culture clash and especially with China :)

• Professional Development

My au pair life in Beijing!

I had a great time in Beijing. The organisation helped me to find quick a good new family in January and after that my LC helped me to find new friends here and to have a good relationship with my host family!

• Professional Development

Best experience of my life.

LoPair is a good company. Of course everyone's experience is different. I was lucky enough to get placed with a good family. Don't give up on one bad review you read. Give it a try. It will be an experience you'll never forget.

The trip of my life !

Hi there, my name is Julian and this is my Story about my trip to China!

I started showing interest towards China during my last two years of high school back in Germany. I wanted, like my older sister did, to live (half) a year abroad. I wanted to experience something new, exciting, different. Soon I made it clear for myself, that I didn't want to go to any other western oriented country, like the States or Australia. So I kinda rushed the decision to go to China. Soon the time had come for me to pack my suitcase and catch my flight to Shanghai. During the flight, I realized, I had no clue where I was actually going. All I knew about China was that it was big and had many many people. A few days later I arrived in Beijing and joined that Chinese family I didn't really know anything about. In addition to that my Chinese was limited to „nihao“. So yeah, I really thought about whether this was a good decision or not !

But it turned out to be the trip of my life. My host kid, Tiger, was super lovely, all the family members and employees were very very nice. They treated me like I was a part of their big family and soon I stopped worrying at all. During the next 6 months I got to know the family, city and country by its many facets...and it was astonishing. China is so much more than smoggy cities and millions of people. It has the variety of an entire continent in it. It ranges from -30°C in Hohhot to 30°C and more in the southern parts of the country. The people are so different from what you are used to in western countries, yet they all seem so nice! The food is amazing and although it differs a lot from western food, it's just utterly delicious and there is something for everyone. I luckily got to see a lot of the country, including a trip to inner Mongolia and to Hainan. Both of these trips were a great experience and I can only recommend these places.

Also, here are some things that totally blew my mind. First of all, despite the effort made for Christmas, including a tree with decoration etc., we spent holy evening in a spa, which was way too funny for me to handle. And then there were the two new years. I spent both of them in Sanya, a City on the Island of Hainan. At the first new year, 31st of December, we went to sleep at 10 pm and that was it. I didn't really mind, yet I thought we would at least have a toast on the new year. The second one, the Chinese New Year, was simply amazing. The fireworks lasted for like 3 days and the celebration was huge. Where ever you went, there were these fancy red lamps and hangers, I felt like in wonderland. If you are lucky enough to experience the Chinese New Year, get ready for the biggest celebration you ever had!

Lastly, some information for whoever is planning to come to China as an Au Pair.

Whatever you heard about Chinese eating habits, it's probably true. They don't care about noises they do or how they look like, while eating. You should enjoy your meal, not spend half an hour to eat a hot soup without making any sounds. I totally agree with that, I hope you do too! The Chinese also tend to eat very early from what I've experienced. We often had lunch at 11 am and dinner at 5 pm.
Spontaneity is another thing. If they tell you, you're going leave at 5, be ready to go at 4:30 (might as well be 5:30). The best advice I can give, is to be flexible, open minded and take everything lightly.

If you do that, you're going to have an amazing time, just like me, and you'll be sad to leave this amazing country with its amazing inhabitants.

• Professional Development

Preparing to be an au pair in China

I lived in Beijing for 6 months and I loved it. I grew as a person and I would recommend it for lots of people. However there are lots of things that you should consider before coming. First location in the city, despite seeking like something not important enough to effect your choice of family, it is vital if you want to have an active social life. If possible bringing a laptop is advisable as it is a lot better than relying on your phone. Remember to get a VPN before you come to China. Also if you plan to play sports or join clubs in China, try and find them and contact them before you get to China as it makes it alot easier. The final thing to note while preparing to be an au pair China is that all families that you could choose from have both positive and negative things about them. It is important to remember that you aren't looking for the perfect family, as they don't exist, but you are looking for a family that you think has more positives than negative ones. For example, my family couldn't speak English so communication was hard. However I had weekends off and got a free gym membership. This may not be appealing everyone, but this trade off was great for me and I want effected badly by the lack of communication. Basically in saying all families are different and all have negative things about them, but that doesn't mean you won't have a great time living with them

Au pair in Beijing

This programme is great. Its the single best way to get to China for an extended amount of time for the least amount of money, especially as someone just out of school, or still studying for a qualification. I spent 3 months living in Beijing with an amazing family and an adorable child. I had plenty of time to explore the city and my mandarin improved significantly also. To the degree that i left with a internationally recognised qualification at the end of my time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes travel and adventure, as well as who likes working with kids.

• Professional Development

Best experience of my life

It was the best experience I have ever lived so far. LoPair in Hangzhou has been amazing : great mandarin teacher and a local coordinator who became a friend. Will be back in Hangzhou for sure, soon I hope.

I had fun

Joey and Nancy made this experience better for me. a lot of support from them. my parents are now my real parents. i love my new family. i will still continue to support Leo so he grows up to be a fine young man. i am grateful for this experience.

My experience in Hangzhou

I stayed in Hangzhou For 3 months and I can say that this was a Great opportunity not only to visit such a beautiful city but also to improve my language skills. Moreover, I had the chance to live in a family who welcomed me very warmly and showed me how a traditional family lives. I am very satisfies with my experience.

Aupair in Beijing

For me going as Aupair to China to live with a Chinese family for 6 months was absolutely the right decision. I learned so many thing just for myself and had the opportunity to immerse in a totally different culture, thanks to my lovely hostfamily.

I would do it again!

Chinese people are very friendly and welcoming! They try to talk to you and get to know you.. you can make Friends easily.. the food is so good and different from what you know.. coming to China is also an amazing opportunity to learn Chinese and as the time goes by you will understand a lot!

Aupair in Haining

In total I am very happy with my experiences as an Aupair in Haining. I love my family and my little host brother. In the end I could deal with every problem I had. Haining is a little bit far away from Hangzhou. I'm the only Aupair here. I think that's besides the language a big problem because social life is not very easy. Culture shock wasn't a big problem for me. But for some aupairs it was. You have to be sure that you are in a totally different country. Different manners, different culture, different behavior. But its an amazing chance to get to know that interesting country.

6 months in Hangzhou

It’s not about the big gestures, but about the small ones that occur every day – that’s how I notice my experience as an Au Pair in China is successful.

I managed it to win Jason’s heart. It’s amazing how after such a short period of time I became a huge part of his life. When he hands me over some fruit or cares if I already eat enough to be full it nearly feels like I’d be home. I’m not only the one that helps him with his homework, picks him up from school or plays board games with him, I actually am like a new sister he truly cares about. Especially because he was such a shy boy at the beginning, it amazes me how natural and easy going the contact between the both of us is now. The moments we share laughter or inside jokes with each other are the bonding time we enjoy the most. During the week I not only bring him or pick him up from his extracurricular activities, we also love to do some reading after he finished his homework. We enjoy card games, board games or just playing with some boy toys. Every day is different.

I just finished my 6 month program in Hangzhou. All in all I have no problems and inconvenience during my stay. Winnie, Wendy and Joey really tried to make my experience as enjoyable as possible.

Travelling and experiencing

There is always some time I could find or arrange with my host family so I could travel and see more of the country and people than just the city you live in. Chinese People will always try to help you find your way and are very nice to foreigners in general.

LoPair - Au Pair life in Beijing

Hello there,
My name is Tom, I'm from Germany and I just spent the last 6 months in Beijing.
The time in China will always be present in my memory for it gave me so many
interesting impressions and experiences.
For instance you get to know a new culture, in some ways radically different than
what you might be used to. And unlike vacation you have the opportunity to live
with an indigenous family, so you can experience everything 'first-hand'.
What also contributed greatly to my amazing time here was my host family.
They were super friendly and supported me in every way they could, treated me as
one of their own. Fortunately, my host parents could speak some English so
communication was almost never a problem.
Working with my host children was mostly fun, although Chinese children can be
really spoiled compared to what I was used to. On the other hand they just
come home at 4pm despite being only 8 and 11.
Most of my free time I spent with other au pairs in Beijing (for there are many
in the capital). Talking, travelling, having class or simply sharing a meal
with people from all over the world made me really appreciate the opportunity
of this program. Since I was in Beijing there was always something to do,
whether it was the 798 art district or one of the numerous parks, or (at night)
one of the many fancy clubs in which you can get for free as a foreigner.
Coming to a completely unfamiliar country with no or almost no knowledge of
the language is a step which requires a lot of courage. So it is nice and
reassuring to have somebody you can contact when having all sorts of problems.
Whether it's something mundane like communication or something serious and you
really need to get out of a family. LoPair can help you with that. They also
provide language courses and culture classes to give you the means to get around
in your every-day life and to introduce you to the diverse Chinese culture.

Lopair- Au pair in Shenzhen

Hi.~
I'm Roberta, I'm Italian and actually I'm an au pair in Shenzhen . Shenzhen is a very big city and it's the most important economic centre in the Southern China. I define it as a city without a soul, because it's very new. So if you like Chinese history of art, I think it's not the city for you.
In any case, I'm really enjoying my time here in China, also because of my gorgeous host family. My host family is made up of six persons: mum, dad, Benjamin, Coco, grandpa and gradma.
Benjamin is almost ten years old and is an extremely active boy. He loves playing football and watching Harry Potter.
Coco is a sweet six years old girl, who loves watching films and playing "uno". Usually, during the day, I spend more time with the Coco, because Benjamin has a lot of training course to follow. Sometimes I think the Chinese families are really exaggerated and these poor kids don't have any time to play.
Anyway, I think my host family is amazing and they treat me like a member of the family.
I believe that being an au pair in China is an fantastic experience which make you grow up and become more indipendent, even if sometimes it's difficult, because the culture and some behaviours are really different from ours. But if you have any problem, Lopair can help you to deal with it.
Lopair also provide Chinese cultural class and Mandarin class which help you to communicate with the members of your host family and, in geral, with those people, who don't know English.
I really raccomended this experience with Lopair, because they really take care of their au pairs.

• Professional Development

Good

Was very gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.:)

Au Pair in Shanghai for 3 month

I've been an Au Pair in Shanghai now for 3 month and it was a very good decision to come here, because I made many crazy and interesting experiences and learned a lot about the Chinese culture.
All in all I think LoPair is a good and competent Au Pair agency. They gave us a really smooth and good start in China with well organized orientation days and introductions, presented by nice persons of the team.
I loved living in Shanghai because it's a city with many possibilities and no day is like the other.
It combines big and busy city life with some very quiet and beautiful places to take a rest.
We were around 20 Au Pairs from different countries in Shanghai. It's a pity that most of them had problems with their host families or did a rematch (same as I what I never expected in the beginning). The Au Pair program is petty new for China and I think it'll take some time till the families understand the meaning of this cultural exchange and don't want to control their Au Pairs, treat them like employees living in their house or expect them to say "yes" to whatever they ask or be available for them 24 hours a day. I don't regret to come here as an Au Pair and I'm sure that I'll come back to China some day, but I would prefer and recommend to stay here for working or travelling than taking part in an Au Pair program.

Aupair experience in China

People in China don't follow rules, so they don't follow any rules also with the aupair program. We are supposed to work for 30 hours a week but with most family you just work all day long. The people at the office are all nice and they try to help as much as they can.

My time as an AuPair in China

I was an AuPair in Hangzhou for six months. The reason I wanted to come to China was to experience the Chinese culture, and I absolutely did! To live with a Chinese family, help taking care of the kids and to study Mandarin have taught me a lot!

End of program

I have just completed 6 months of my program with Lopair. From the start their support has been good, and the family they matched me with was a good fit. The Mandarin classes included with my program have helped me communicate with my family, and get around the city I'm in. Overall, the experience has been good, and I'd suggest Lopair for anyone who would like to be an au pair in China!

Shenzhen and Beijing

An amazing experience which quality depends on your open mindedness and sense of adventure. I have seen caves, spent two nights in a tent on the great wall, climbed challenging mountains, started meditating, stopped eating meat, learned some chinese and for better or for worse everyday has been an experience.

Lopair review

I had a wonderful experience as an au pair in China. I had a lot of trouble in my first month and Lopair did a great job in making sure everything was okay for everyone involved. I would recommend this program to one of my friends.

Seans Chengdu experience

Over all China has been very interesting. It has been great to see a new life style in the busy centre of Chengdu. I certainly wanted to experience a new culture and that's exactly what I got.
Some things I liked very much included but is not limited to the following.
The food! Yes the food is of varying spectacular. It helps that the family I was staying with enjoyed dining at a variety of different places. From traditional vegetarian Buddhist restaurants to European style steak houses, I'll surely never forget a glimpse in to the food culture I was fortunate enough to get a taste of.
Another thing was the people! Yes they are all very busy in this fast paced city life but I was amazed at the friendliness and what they get up to in their spare time. It was a favourite thing of mine walking past the riverways to see groups of people gathered around to watch a game of Chinese chess or to see groups of people dancing or practising some form of traditional martial art movement.

During this program if you put in the effort trying your best to get English into the daily life of your student then you will make a huge impact on their future. I hope my student/little brother Steven some day can work abroad and achieve great things.
I personally didn't get much of a social life because as this is a live in situation you can't stay out for long. The major off time you get is when your student is at school. I found it hard to maintain friends aswell as I was always wanting to walk somewhere new, I was solitary by my own choice during my free time. I found it a waste of time trying to keep in contact with people I met as they couldn't keep up my walking pace and I knew I wanted to see everything I could!
Honestly not many people spoke English here In Chengdu, I'm sure it's different on the more touristy east coast.
Lopair was a good program provider, I didn't talk to them much as I didn't have any problems but they provided me the paperwork for an extension visa with ease and always assured me they were there to help if I needed.
I'm giving health and safety a 10 because of controllable factors like a clean house and food. However you are in China, it is notorious for the Smog. I would not live in China due to this and probably don't recommend a stay over a year if you are from a non air polluted nation. I got the travellers sick bug in the first month. Not really avoidable If you are eating new foods with new bacteria that your body is not used to, you can't drink tap water or rain water here either. A big change.
That should give a realistic broad idea of the Lopair program. To sum it up it was awesome to experience a new place and grasp the chinese philosophy and help Steven with his English. I probably wouldn't do this again as I'm an adventure always after new ideas and places, but I'm glad I did it. If you are hesitant just sign up for 3 months and give it a go. Free flights, food, accommodation and the chance to help someone's kid out with English.