Elite Special: 6-week EduCare in China
LoPair Au Pair China Program participants LoPair Au Pair China Program participants

Elite Special: 6-week EduCare in China

Review

I've been so happy with my experience as a Lopair Summer Educare Participant. My host family have taught me so much about China and their way of life, which mixes modern living with tradition. Lopair's mandarin lessons have been really interesting and a great way to meet other Au pairs.

• Professional Development

Amaxing with an amazing local co-ordinator

I had an amazing experience, I think the preparation and training in Hangzhou could be improved as I think it scared a lot of us more than anything ! Mandy the local co ordinated was amazing and extremely helpful.

• Professional Development

An unforgettable Chinese experience!

It's an amazing, unforgettable experience. Over six weeks I've experienced what some chinese nationals have never had the chance to do in their lifetime. I got very lucky with my family too, but as far as I've heard all the aupairs had a great family! My family really did their best to give me the best possible cultural experience possible in the short time available. A rare chance to visit China at no cost, in great company, and to experience it from the very heart.

Au pairing in Yuyao

Had an absolutely amazing summer with my host family, we did loads of interesting activities , cloth dying, pottery making , water rafting and loads more.We even went on holiday to Sichuan for a week where we challenged ourselves in mountain climbing.

• Professional Development

Summer program in Hangzhou!

Excellent! A very fun and inclusive way to really experience a different culture. Hangzhou is a beautiful city and lots of interesting touristy things to do on days off. West lake at sunset is a must! The food is great and my family have been good at introducing me to a wide range of cuisine.

Review of LoPair

I very much enjoyed the programme. My host family was very welcoming and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and show me the Chinese culture. It was also very nice to gain more childcare and teaching experience. The employees at LoPair were also very friendly and supportive, and Shanghai was a lively city to be placed in.

Very good

Overall I am highly satisfied with my experience as an au pair with Lopair in China. My host family was great, their demands were reasonable and flexible. The Mandarin and cultural classes organized by Lopair were good and the agency was fast at responding to any queries I might have had.

Educare in Shanghai

Overall, I have enjoyed my educare experience. My host family has been very welcoming, the Chinese classes have been well taught and I have enjoyed getting to know the other au pairs. My one complaint is that my coordinator arranged for my off days to be the days I have Chinese classes. It takes 4hrs total to commute, and the classes are 2.5hrs long, so my half day ends up being a couple of hours, and my full day feels like a half day. I would have liked more time to spend with the other au pairs and to explore Shanghai. Looking after a (sometimes quite naughty) child means that time to recharge is really important , so I think it would be better if Lopair could ensure that off days were not the same as Chinese class days. But aside from this, I have really enjoyed the program and would recommend it to my friends!

• Professional Development

An excellent way to see China

Offers a fully paid for cultural exchange which I have benefited from greatly. However, the experience can vary depending on which family you stay with and there is only so much the agency can do. Having said that, the agency can at times seem like they've forgotten about you when the local coordinator only comes to visit once. Although, if I were to message any of the coordinators they would respond quickly and helpfully so the agency is like a reassuring safety net, useful for people who want to travel independently but might be nervous.

Very good

Lopair experience

I had a great time in China, it was an awesome opportunity to live locally and connect with a family. Lopair were very helpful when I needed them and provided me with lots of social opportunities. I would recommend!

Educare 2017

You can quote me The EduCare programme was an incredible opportunity to experience China through the perspective of a local family, rather than as a tourist. The length of the programme was perfect to try aupairing for the first time and now I look forward to coming back for a longer period of time.

Shenzhen au pair

A very good experience although challenging. The children appear to be less disciplined then I am used to and this can cause problems especially when creating boundaries for when you need time off. However although this was difficult at the beginning, I was able to create a working schedule with my family that worked well and allowed me to form a better relationship with my host child. My host family were very kind and considerate. They also took me to do some very interesting things which helped me to have a really good experience in China. I hope to keep in touch with them and the host child. Also having my own time allowed me to make friends and see Shenzhen for my self. Overall it was a good experience.

Teaching in Shenzhen

It was difficult to balance the desire to explore by myself with the responsibility of teaching a child. However, even though my family was fairly busy with work, they still made time to take me to see nearby places and even a few different cities to see. They shared the history of places they knew and I feel like I have a better picture of Shenzhen than I would have been able to get if I had come by myself.

My comments on Lopair educare

I really enjoyed the program and I'm sad to leave. The best thing about it for me was how chilled the program was, although this was largely down to my host family. The biggest drawback of my experience was the major issues I had with getting a visa. Although lopair mostly did all they could during the time of the problems, they need to be better prepared for such situations as it can be extremely off putting for program participants when things go wrong and they feel like they might be part of an illegal conspiracy. Lopair need to be transparent about their official status and the issues with au pairing in China from the start. Possibly the program would benefit from more hands on social organization for the participants, such as how Hannah's role became. Better organization is sometimes needed too, for example I had to miss a Chinese lesson because a Lopair person double booked it with a visa appointment - I loved the lessons so this was frustrating. I i i guess i got a better understanding of Chinese culture by living with a family. Thanks for giving me the chance to experience China at almost no cost!

Summer educare

Great way to experience teaching English and living in a foreign country at the same time. Chinese and cultural classes were really interesting and living with a family means you get to see a different side to the culture you wouldn't see otherwise.