Be a Language Camp Counselor in Germany
LEOlingo - Sprachcamps fuer Kinder Header Image LEOlingo - Sprachcamps fuer Kinder Header Image

Be a Language Camp Counselor in Germany

• Professional Development

Best Summer I've ever had!

This past summer I had the amazing opportunity to work for LeoLingo in northern Germany - an opportunity that ended up giving me the best summer I have ever had!

Before I even arrived in Schwerin, Sabine made sure that I had all of the information that I needed to be successful in arriving. As someone who doesn't speak German, this was very comforting and settled any nerves that I had about traveling on my own to a new place. Upon arrival, I was welcomed by Sabine with warmth, humor, and support - things that never wavered for the entire summer working for her.

Sabine treated all of us counselors as family, going above and beyond to make sure that we were comfortable and had everything that we needed. She even organized outings for the counselors to get to know one another and hosted parties for the entire group! The way that we were welcomed into this organization then translated to how we interacted with one another - I can happily say that I am leaving LeoLingo with lifelong friends that I found in my fellow counselors.

Through-out the summer, I had the opportunity to work in Hamburg, by the Baltic Sea, and at various locations in Schwerin. Each place was beautiful, and we were treated so kindly by the staff. The camps themselves were incredible, over the course of each week we got to bond with awesome kids and see before our eyes the way their confidence with English grew. It was amazing to walk away from each week knowing that you made a positive difference in a young kids life!

As much as working for LeoLingo allowed me to help kids learn and grow, I myself had one of the most transformative experiences working for this organization. I learned new things about myself, gained confidence, and had personal growth in really positive ways! I would highly recommend this experience to anyone who enjoys working with kids, meeting new people from around the world, having fun, and being challenged to learn and grow. If you're considering LeoLingo, i encourage you to take the leap and go for it! I'm sure glad I did

Best summer of my life

LEOlingo was, without a doubt the best summer of my life.

I really had no idea what to expect and I was so nervous at the beginning of the summer but was reassured and welcomed into beautiful Bavaria with open arms.

Our first week was spent taking part in an intense training course at a school in Neumarkt, just a short trip from the city of Nuremberg. We all got to know each other really quickly and got settled in our new host family homes for the week. My host family had three lovely children who were really keen to speak English but I also got to practice my German with them too. They were even kind enough to open up their house again to a few of the counselors when we came back for a street festival a few weeks after training.
Andrea and her family were extremely welcoming and we had trips out to Nuremberg on a bike tour around the city (which was amazing) along with a few parties in the first week to help bond a little and start getting to know the people we were about to spend our whole summer with.

On your first day you’ll be given the LEOlingo handbook and this is your bible. It has endless ideas including games, songs and teaching materials that you can use and refer to when you’re planning your week with your kids. I felt well prepared to take on my own class after the week of training as you also get to work with some of the kids from the school you train in. This gives you a taste of what counseling will be like. I think the main thing to remember is to have fun because when you’re having fun (hopefully) you’re kids are too. Be crazy, be a bit wacky and don’t take yourself too seriously. I really enjoyed teaching the kids in my groups and although there will always be a few that you might not click with, the majority are great and really want to learn English!

What is generally expected of you as a counselor can vary depending on whether you are a day counselor or night counselor and also if the camp is a day or overnight or adventure camp as they have very different vibes to them. Andrea does an amazing job of making sure that everyone gets to experience all areas of camp so you can have some variation during the summer. Added to this already sweet set up you also get a week off during the summer. I personal went up to Berlin and met up with relatives but others visited Prague and Budapest etc. which was also great fun.

Weekends can be as structured or as relaxed as you like. Sometimes you may be asked to stay there over the weekend because you’re at the same camp two weeks running but I was lucky enough to spend most of my weekends in my dirndl (which all the girls bought whilst we were out there) drinking beer in Bavarian Volksfests which is by far one of the best ways to spend a Saturday.

I have no doubt that LEOlingo will be a life changing and extremely rewarding experience for anyone who partakes. You learn a great deal about yourself, others and also Germany as a country and I will be back as soon as I can.

Great, eye-opening experience!

I worked for LEOLingo last summer and I loved it! Sabine, the head coordinator, was very accommodating and sympathetic. One of her main focuses was making sure that the counsellors had time to travel and experience all that they could while being in Germany. The kids were mostly fantastic and I still miss many of them. The work can be tough at times and making it to places on time can be somewhat nerve-wracking but it was all worth it. I got exactly what I wanted out of this trip thanks to this organization and it changed my life completely for the better! Some of my coworkers did not enjoy their trip but as long as you are a positive, respectful and responsible individual, you will have a phenomenal time! Highly recommend to all who fit that criteria!

• Professional Development

If you have any hesitation to apply, my advice: take the leap and do it!

If you are considering applying for a summer job at LEOlingo, let me just say that I am SO excited for you. I worked in Bavaria for both the Summer of 2015 and Spring of 2016, and it was truly one of the most formative and incredible experiences I have ever had. I had no German roots and it was a completely spontaneous decision, and I have zero regrets – it was a summer I will forever think about fondly, and one that allowed me to establish strong friendships from all over the world. LEOlingo has fostered a huge admiration for Germany – I am already planning my next trip back!

An average day at LEOlingo often depends on whether you are working as a day or night counsellor, and whether you are working at a day camp/overnight camp/adventure camp. Regardless of these differences, there are still a lot of consistencies. As a day counsellor you are essentially solely responsible for your group of kids during the day, so there is a fair amount of flexibility with what you decide to do and when. This is all building up for the “Happyning” at the end of the week, which is a show for the parents that demonstrates what they have learned/done while at camp. During each Happyning, your kids will typically sing a song together, perform a drama (x2, because you will split your group in half), and provide a demonstration/explanation of a sport and/or a game you did with your group. You will also send each kid home with a creative folder, which will contain all of the arts/crafts/language sheets that your kids completed throughout the week.

If you are a day counsellor you typically work with the kids from 9am to 5pm, with an hour long lunch in between. Each day you will aim to play a sport, sing a song, play at least one language game, work on a creative folder, provide time for drama prep and activities, and play some of the other filler games. I will be the first to admit that sometimes this doesn’t all get done in one day, but keeping this structure in mind is important to make up for whatever you didn’t do in subsequent days (it also gets easier over the summer as you find your routine!). You are free to collaborate with other counsellors, which often works really well for sports and larger games and can give you all a break when sharing responsibilities. If you are a day counsellor at a day camp, your responsibilities are essentially over at 5pm each day, excluding any prep that would be required for the next day. If you are a day counsellor at an overnight camp, you may be asked by the night counsellors to help facilitate evening programming. You will also be asked to be a night counsellors during at least one of the weeks that you’re there, which requires planning games typically for the whole camp and then getting the kids to bed and waking them up. If you are working at an adventure camp, this usually means you get one “day off” from this regular programming to either go canoeing, horseback riding, caving, high rope climbing, etc. – this is usually a really nice break and is super fun (adventure camps were my favourite)!

In terms of which sports/activities to teach, you are given a handbook which contains TONS of different stuff, so there will never be any shortage of things to do. You learn tons of these during training week (training week basically consists of you being the ‘kids’ and being taught all the games and getting to play them and it really is the best). The sports tend to be national sports, and you would typically aim to teach sports native to your country (so I taught a lot of hockey, lacrosse, and baseball -- yay Canada!). However you basically have free reign to teach whatever you want, and the rules are given to you in case you aren’t familiar with them (Gaelic Football became my go-to sport, even though I had never heard of it before LEOlingo). Some of the other activities you do are name games (for the beginning of the week), big group games (for the whole camp – usually one of these are played on the first and last day), and other smaller filler games (to get them to settle down, wake up, get them outside, etc). The majority of the games focus on improving their English, and you will also have a selection of language games to play that focus on this a bit more heavily and adds a bit of competition.

During the summer, you may be asked to live with a host family, in a hostel, or on-site. So many of the families were incredibly kind and hospitable, and took their counsellor(s) out for meals/did some exploring around the city. I had a great time with them and was able to pick up a bit of German as a result! I would say the vast majority of counsellors loved their host family experience and continue to stay in touch with them.

Weekends are usually planned for you, so you don’t have to worry about booking anything unless you decide to do something different than what Andrea arranged (i.e. sometimes people wanted to visit friends, hang out with their host families, explore Nuremberg, etc.), in which case you are responsible for the costs and getting back in time. Sometimes Andrea’s plans will require you to stay put if you are working at the same campsite for two weeks in a row. If whatever Andrea plans for you requires additional travel/hostel costs, she will cover that or reimburse you. You will also have a week off during your time there, which you usually are responsible for the costs of whatever you decide to do (last year, I spent that week in Budapest and Prague). Overall, it is a really great opportunity to travel and see different parts of the country and places nearby!

This was honestly the best job I’ve had (and maybe will ever have). Most importantly, Andrea and her family, the campers, and the counsellors are all truly WONDERFUL people and are the main reasons that this experience was as positive as it was. I would wholeheartedly recommend this experience to anyone considering applying!

Best job I ever had

If you are a person who wants to meet great people, travel in Europe and work at a fun job that you can feel good about, this is the place for you.

I worked at Leolingo for three consecutive summers, starting when I was 18. I'd grown up around camp and been a camp counselor in my home of Canada, and this was the perfect way to go on my first overseas adventure while still making money and being around fellow english speakers to explore with and learn about.

The job itself is a blast. It's essentially going to camp for a summer, but you get to work with German youths and learn about their culture and teach about your own. The training is great to prepare you for running an English-language program for whatever age group you end working with throughout the summer (and you'll work with many different ones). Coworkers I had during my time there are lifetime friends.

The bosses are even better than the coworkers. Whether you work in the North (for Sabine) or the South (Andrea), these are two of the loveliest, most accommodating bosses I've ever had. Every year, they have a completely unknown group of english-speaking foreigners descend upon them, and every year they consistently welcome into their home with warmth and excitement. You can't beat that.

The campsites are all unique and beautiful, and give you the opportunity to see the different parts of Germany. They do a great job of rotating you around, too, so you can see Germany's great cities, its beautiful countryside and coasts.

Leolingo was the first and biggest step I took outside my comfort zone, and I have zero regrets. It gave me a great opportunity to make some cash and travel Europe for a summer, and inspired my to go back time and time again and look for other opportunities to go abroad. I now work internationally a lot, like a lot of my colleagues I met there. I now have a network of great friends scattered across the world I can and do visit, friends I otherwise wouldn't know.

I also now have some great memories, a little bit of conversational German, and an itch to get back to Germany any chance I get.

Most amazing life-enriching experience

I have been lucky enough to spend 2 amazing summers working at Leolingo as an english and french language camp counsellor. Travelling abroad alone for the first time at 18 years old, and knowing no german and very little about Germany, I was both very excited and nervous upon arrival in Bavaria. However, as soon as we started training and I met the other counsellors, I knew I was embarking on the summer of a lifetime.
The training week is quite intense, since we have to learn a lot about the program and have to master the Leolingo "camp mode". But it remains a highlight of the summer. The trainers are amazing, they are so full of energy, making you quickly come out of your comfort zone and start acting much sillier, that by the end of the first day all the counsellors are very comfortable around each over. The week is full of sports,games, songs and especially laughter. Andrea puts on lots of events during this week (bavarian evening, BBQ at her house, surprise activity...) that help us to bond even more as a team and feel at home. There is even the odd cheeky evening trip to the beergarden with the rest of the team after training. After all, we are in Germany! At the end of the week, the team is split up and dispatched to different camps around the Nuremberg area.
Some of the camps we get to work at are stunning (german castles set in beautiful countryside). Each day counsellor generally gets his own group of 12 kids for the week. Working with them can sometimes be challenging and tiring, demanding a lot of patience, however most of the time it's so much fun. You really get to know most of the kids and bond with them a lot. Being an evening counsellor is also a really cool experience. By the end of the week, you are often sad to see the kids go. At the end of the week, there is a show where the kids really like to show their parents how much fun they've had and all the english/french they have. Despite the sadness of leaving the camp where you had such a good time, the prospect of discovering a new camp and meeting lots of new kids the next week keeps you looking forward. The week-end is a much deserved rest time away from children where you can recharge your batteries or travel around the area. Some weekends, we would meet up with the rest of the team and go to a german beer festival (there is always one on in Bavaria!) or even spend a night out in Nürnberg. Some of the most epic nights I will forever remember have been experienced over my two summers in Bavaria.
You will probably have the chance during the summer of staying with a host family. Culturally, this is a huge bonus as it's an insight into german everyday life. German host families are so welcoming. They often treat you like a member of the family. I still exchange messages regularly with a few of the host families I met over my 2 summers and plan to meet up with them again.
The social life aspect is definitely one of the most important. You meet so many like-minded young people from around the world, who you become really close with across the summer, spending some very memorable times together and becoming friends for life. Leolingo is like one big family!
As for Andrea, she is certainly an amazingly unique boss. I imagine there are very few jobs where you could have the same kind of relationship with your boss. She opens up her home to you, and goes the extra mile to make sure everybody and everything is cared for. She is also always completely honest with you. She is certainly the personification of Leolingo.
If you're looking for a summer full of fun, adventure, memorable experiences, amazing new friendships, beautiful scenery, and lots and lots of kids, Leolingo is the place to go! (oh, and also beer of course!)

Life changing summer

The past two summers I have been lucky enough to work for LEOlingo. The whole experience has been incredible, and I would return every year if I could. I heard about LEOlingo from a friend who had also worked for Andrea and Sabine, and as soon as I heard the details of the position I knew I had to apply.

Personally, I had worked at many summer camps in Canada, so I understood the amount of work overnight camps took. For those who have not worked at summer camps before, it can seem like a huge commitment, knowing that the children are there and you are responsible for them for the entire week but there is a lot of support. There is always a night and day councillor, so if you are a day councillor you can relax at night, although it is always fun to join in with the night programs and vice versa.
Each camp has a different theme, which you get to experience as well. I able to go caving in two cities this summer, which was one of the highlights.

Most weeks you get to experience a new city in Germany which can be very exciting. I was in some small towns of only 200 people, but also some weeks I was very close to Nuremburg so I was able to go explore the city during the week after the camp day was over. Some weekends we would stay overnight at the camp, and there were many different activities, even in the smaller towns to do.

One of the best highlights I find is the social life. I have been able to make life long friends from around the world because of LEOlingo. Every weekend we would get to explore different areas of Germany, and on our week off some of us even travelled to different countries together. These friends become your family because you are surrounded by them for 7 weeks.

The most important thing to know about this job is that you will have an incredible boss. Andrea was always understanding, and organized and she cares so much for every one of her employees. She always wants to know how you are doing and if she can help you in anyway. Coming from Canada, it is a big change going to a place where I did not know the language, nor know anyone in Germany. Andrea worked very hard to make sure we were happy. She also spent a lot of time planning special events which helped our team bond even more.

Although this job is exhausting, and stressful at times, I could not recommend it enough.
If you are someone who loves to travel, meet friends from around the world, but also work with some amazing kids then you could not ask for a better job.

Amazing opportunity!

I worked as a camp counsellor for Leolingo over the summer in 2016 and had the most amazing time! The group of counsellors I worked with are now good friends of mine, and we had some incredible adventures and memories together throughout the summer. The camps themselves are intense, and it is a long day of work, but it is also extremely rewarding. The kids are genuinely excited about English and I had some really fun times with my groups. The job really requires you to get silly and crazy at times. You can't take yourself too seriously. It is technically a teaching job, but it is definitely not a traditional classroom-type atmosphere. It's summer camp, after all! You'll find yourself doing ridiculous things. It's one of the things I loved most about working at Leolingo.

Staying with German host families was also another great aspect of this job. If you're interested in learning about German language and culture, there is no better way to do it. My host families all embraced me into their daily lives and were some of the kindest people I've ever met. I'm already planning trips to go back and visit!

Overall, I feel incredibly lucky to have worked at Leolingo. I met so many amazing people, learned so many things, and had so many unique and exciting experiences. It has by far been my favourite summer job ever!

• Professional Development

A summer living the bavarian LeoLingo dream!

When applying for summer jobs, I knew I wanted to spend time in Germany and so when I got offered the LeoLingo job my excitement levels were already high. Nevertheless, I wasn't sure what to expect turning up in a new town in the middle of Bavaria for the training. I needn't have been apprehensive, it was soon clear that I was in for a great summer. The other counsellors were all wonderful, energetic and like-minded. Hailling from both sides of the Atlantic, around 20 counsellors all got to know each other quickly and we soon bonded throughout training, also thanks to Andrea organising social events (including a bbq at hers, a bavarian evening, and a surprise day trip at the end of the week). It was a long week- but definitely worth it, as it sealed friendships and prepared us all well for the activity weeks to come!

It soon came to us splitting off to our different camp sites for the first week, some smaller camps had only a few counsellors, but for bigger sites there were sometimes 6 or 7 of us. Even for someone who already loves Germany's landscapes, I was blown away by beauty of some of the locations that I was lucky to work out. Fancy living in a castle? How about a day by a clear blue lake? or scaling mountain-faces with views for miles? Of course, you have to work a bit too ;) but ultimately, if you are well-prepared for your week and willing to have fun with the kids, you can make camp run much more smoothly- and hopefully the kids learnt something too! Working with other counsellors is also great as you can share ideas, and work together for some activities. You are constantly learning from the other counsellors and soon you get a sense for what works best with the kids too. It's very rewarding to see the shy kids come out of their shells by the end of the week. Not only do the kids gain more confidence, but I even felt much more confident myself as the weeks rolled by!

Although the weeks were long - especially at overnight camps, weekends came around quickly and often counsellors would meet up for an night of socialising (and perhaps the odd Volksfest). It was also possible to have a week off. I personally visited other cities in Bavaria, but others went further a field to Prague and Budapest. By the end of the seven weeks I didn't want to leave, and in fact I stayed in Germany for 3 more weeks with some of the cash I saved from LeoLingo helping me do this!

All in all, the summer was close to a dream! Great colleagues, lovely host families (where I stayed during training), fun kids, stunning locations and an incomparable boss! Andrea and her wonderful family make you feel at home and are unbelievably generous with their hospitality and advice. I have never worked for a more personable and well organised boss- and I doubt I ever will !

Germany has a special place in my heart, and now so does LeoLingo. I hope to be back very soon!

Best Summer of my life!

Whilst on my University 'careerzone' looking for a summer job I stumbled across LEOlingo - what a stroke of luck! I wasted no time in applying, during my interview with Andrea she made me feel relaxed and further convinced me that this was a company that I would enjoy working for; the Summer I spent with LEOlingo did not disappoint.

During the training week you get to meet all the other counsellors, everyone is so like minded and friendly that within no time you will have made great friends. Coupled with Andrea's meals and parties you are guaranteed to make some fantastic memories. This isn't to say that at times the job isn't challenging, during the training week when I was first trusted with a group of my own I found it difficult, however this made it all the more rewarding when the English of the children improves and you create a relationship with them! This feeling of achievement is a common theme throughout the summer, particularly at the end of week happynings!!

Personally my host families were one of the main reasons my summer was so next level, I stayed with 2 families for extended periods of time. To be truly welcomed into a family allows you to experience the area as the locals do and visit places you otherwise may not have known about. Both of my families couldn't have done more for me and I've been fortunate to keep in touch with both, in fact one family is visiting England in August and we've already arranged to meet!

It is the combination of many factors (more than possible to list here!!) that makes LEOlingo such a unique, fantastic experience; the people you work with, the beautiful locations of the camps, the truly welcoming spirit of the German people and of course Andrea and her family. My only regret is that due to securing a graduate job I will not be able to return this Summer, I honestly can't recommend this experience enough.

• Professional Development

Amazing experience as a camp counselor.

Applying to this role I had no idea of what to expect, however it exceeded all expectations and is a Summer that I will always look back on with great memories! The role is much more than a conventional teaching job, with the day consisting of sport, singing, theater and various games and activities. More than that, the overall experience that I enjoyed could be unique to LeoLingo. It is hard to describe every aspect of the role, but there were a few aspects that I think would make this opportunity stand out.

The atmosphere that is created from the training week is so enjoyable; you are working with about 20 other young people from around the world and it is clear that everyone is there to work hard and enjoy themselves too; this is encouraged by Andrea who runs the company in a very personable way. Throughout the Summer she welcomes the counselors into her home and even puts on meals and parties. This means that you get very good friends with everybody very quickly, this makes working at the camps a great laugh.

You are also trusted with a lot of responsibility. After training there is no 'boss' at each camp, you are effectively trusted to run everything yourself, which means you can have a lot of fun with the kids and create a really fun atmosphere. Because of the training, you can deliver the program comfortably, and the camps are often in amazing locations and involve some sort of activity.

I was also welcomed into three amazing German families throughout the Summer. The first were two grandparents who spoke little English, but could not do enough for us and took us on tours of Bavaria and on various excursions. Another were a family from Nuremberg who were also absolutely amazing. Everybody spoke about how their adopted families could not do enough, a highlight for me was being taken up 30 meters above Nuremburg city center on top of a fire engines tower, despite being terrified of heights.

Finally, you get paid very well; 200 euros a week with food and accommodation included, means you can have a lot of fun at the weekends exploring Bavaria, highlights including Nuremburg Volksfest and also visiting Munich. You also receive one week holiday out of the 8, which I spent travelling to Prague, Budapest and Krakow. Overall, I cannot speak highly enough of this role. It improved my confidence immensely and the friendly, warm atmosphere created by Andrea, her family, the other counselors and also the German's in general really made the Summer special!

A really great summer

I sent the summer in northern Germany and everything about it was great. Leolingo is a great company to work for. It has its ups and downs like any job but if you are looking for a fun and exciting way to live abroad and also travel a bit along the way this is the job for you. Our boss is fantastic, fun, interesting, and caring. The locations are beautiful. It is also a plus that you get to live abroad and not worry about housing, food, and visas, all is taken care of. The camps have a wide variety of topics and many different focuses such as climbing, surfing, or adventure and every camp is different. I have only worked with Leolingo for one summer but I hope to return for many more happy times with the company.

• Professional Development

Most extraordinary summer of my life!

Never having travelled abroad alone before, I was quite uncertain of what to expect working in Germany with absolutely no knowledge of the language. My fears were quickly put to an end when I met Sabine and the wonderful supervisors of LEOLingo. They truly treat each counsellor like family and make sure everything is taken care of and every worry addressed.

We were put through rigorous (but rewarding) training during the first week that prepared us for the summer. By the end of it, all of my fellow counsellors and I felt as though we could take on the summer with great confidence in our abilities. Each week we were able to lead camp groups in different locations around Northern Germany - from Schwerin to Hamburg and all the way up to Beckerwitz by the Baltic Sea. The change of location, team members, and specialization of the camp (windsurfing, horseback riding, tree-top climbing, etc.), always kept things upbeat and interesting throughout the summer. It was incredible to see all of these different areas of Northern Germany and to even have some time off to travel around between the work weeks.

In terms of the camps themselves, we had to lead German children from ages 6 to 16 in different language activities ranging from sports, arts & crafts, written exercises, and games. It was so heartwarming to see their progress in their English speaking by the end of each week and discuss their feedback with the parents. I personally gained a great amount of self-confidence and leadership skills after working for LEOLingo. All of the staff were nothing but kind and supportive throughout it all.

The summer of 2014 in Deutschland has left an unforgettable and positive impact on my life. I would recommend this position to anyone seeking an incredibly rewarding summer experience.

An Unforgettable Experience

While researching to find a summer job abroad I was extremely lucky to discover the company LEOlingo. After extensive research online and reading testimonials just like this I soon figured out that it was a company I wanted to work for. I applied for the Summer Camps in Northern Germany with Sabine and was thankfully selected. I booked my flights as soon as I could but remember being extremely nervous as to what the day to day of being a camp counselor would entail. However my worries were put to rest by Sabine emailing helpful guide manuals as to what to expect and even what to pack in your luggage!

The most convenient airport for me was Hamburg which luckily was also the case for 3 other camp counselors. We arranged to meet at Hamburg Bahnhof (Train Station) and took a train to Schwerin which took about 40 minutes. We were picked up by LEOlingo, taken to the office and had a meet and greet with all the other Camp Counselors. Although no one really knew each other, it was so exciting to meet new people from all over the world; USA, Canada, Nigeria and Northern Ireland.
After the introduction to everyone, we were taken to our host families whom we would stay with for the duration of the training week. I was extremely privileged to stay with a wonderful and loving family. After the week had passed I really didn't want to leave and found it very hard to say goodbye, however we are still in touch and I plan to visit them again this year when I return.

The training week is enjoyable but also very concise and you learn extensively what is expected of you as a LEOlingo camp counselor. You are thought fun games and songs that the children love as well as important information regarding safety and rules. The trainers are experienced and tell you exactly what you need to know to make your summer in Germany unforgettable.

There is a dynamic range of the type of camps you can be assigned to whether you have experience in Water sports, Horse Riding, Archery, the outdoors and also the type of personality you have. While working in LEOlingo the kids really look up to you. They see you as the cool big brother or big sister but also respect you for it. The daily routine of the day time counselor includes 3 hours of language games and then 3 hours of more entertaining activities depending on the type of camp. To be honest LEOlingo didn't feel like a job for me, it was just a whole summer full of excitement and although at times it felt challenging especially during the first week when you are new to all the activities and you can't sing to save your life but that is soon is overcome by the kids laughing at you and your terrible singing.

Visiting Germany opened up a world full of opportunities for me, the kind people, the diverse culture and beautiful cities made me feel that Germany would be a serious option for me regarding future study as well as living. The weekends free at LEOlingo are a perfect time to explore the towns and cities surrounding you, with the extensive train routes making it even easier.

Overall i would highly recommend LEOlingo to anyone who enjoys working in a demanding but exhilarating environment. The director Sabine makes the whole experience even more enjoyable and is there constantly to answer any worries or queries. It was a summer to remember and i can't wait to relive it once again in 2015.

An Amazing Summer

I had a wonderful time working with LeoLingo last summer. Although I wasn't sure what to expect, the training week was very thorough and left me feeling ready and prepared for the camps. I loved the camps. They were always such great fun. I loved getting to know the kids each week and discovering lots of different ways to make language learning fun.
It is also a wonderful opportunity to travel. I was able to visit lots of different German cities during the weekends and during my week off I was able to travel around Scandinavia. I stayed with a German family during training week and I loved having this opportunity to get to know the German culture and people.
Sabine is such a lovely person to work for and is so helpful if you need anything. I would definitely recommend working with LeoLingo, it is sure to be an unforgettable experience!

LEOLingo Summer Camps

Absolutely incredible. This was an amazing experience that has added so much to my life. I met so many people that I am still in touch with. At this camp you will learn so much about what you are capable to do. I had a blast teaching and doing activities with the campers. I highly recommend it.

Experience of a lifetime

Working with Leolingo was quite an amazing and unforgettable experience. From the super friendly welcome upon arrival on day 1 by Sabine and her coworkers, to the numerous exciting and fun-filled work locations throughout the work duration, to say the least, I had an amazing summer in 2014. All the other guys I worked with were all super nice, we were all treated so well and it felt less like a job and more like a paid vacation. So much fun at different locations doing sports, playing games, going horse riding, surfing and tons of fun activities. Accommodation was great, the teaching classes were easy and fun, although a little hard at first but after the first week it was all easy. The pay too was great and we all had at least a week off to travel or go somewhere. And the Germans were also super friendly. To sum it up, it was quite epic and I hope to be back again next year. Leolingo is the best!!!

• Host Company

Probably one of the best work experiences I've had!!!!

Seriously, the saying "work hard, play harder" fits perfectly to LeoLingo, because it wasn't only serious work, but SO MUCH FUN! I worked in Bavaria with Andrea Baer and it was awesome. She was a great boss and very helpful. The people I got to work with were excellent and very professional. The work I had to do was a bit stressful; however, with the fantastic working environment, everything went smoothly. Plus, it gave me the chance to travel around every weekend. Everything was just amazing. Seriously, it's impossible for me to find negative points here.
Finally, If I could do it again, I wouldn't think twice and take the job immediately!
LeoLingo rocks!

Best summers ever

I worked at Leo Lingo for three consecutive summers and had an absolute ball. The training week was really comprehensive, and I felt really prepared for my first week of work. You get loads of support from your employer, and the atmosphere in the camps is great. Getting to work with colleagues from all over the world was great fun, and there was plenty of time at the weekend to explore the local area . Germany has a great rail network so it is easy to get most of the major cities on the weekend, even if your camp is in a little village. Leo Lingo is a very professional company, you are always paid on time and looked after well - teaching on the camps is all about fun and sharing your home culture with the kids so you really feel you are making a difference. I'd highly recommend Leo Lingo to anyone, and wish I had the time to go back this summer!

• Host School or Placement

The Most Rewarding Experience!

Absolutely the most amazing experience! You could not dream up a better boss than Sabine! Her main priority is making sure the counselors have a wonderful and fulfilling experience in a foreign country. She was so kind and thoughtful throughout the entire experience and working for her was really a joy. She is a lovely woman and cares deeply for the comfort of the counselors and the children. The entire program is extremely well organized and everything you need to know is taught to you during the training week. It is a lot of hard work, but also very rewarding!

LEOlingo is a wonderful way to meet people from all over the world and you will automatically become best friends with all of the other counselors! You will make a complete fool of yourselves together, travel together, and spend basically every waking moment together. I think about my LEOlingo family all the time and could not have happier memories of all the times we spent together!

The kids you work with are absolutely amazing and I miss all of them so much! As a teacher in the US, this provided me with invaluable teaching experience! Teaching English to non-native speakers is no easy task! LEOlingo, however, provides you with all of the necessary tools, techniques, and resources needed to make it a fun and beneficial experience for both you and the kids! You will bond with the kids almost immediately and it will feel as though the language barrier is not even an issue! You will learn quickly how to communicate with people through body language and emotions.

The camps are so much fun and you get to participate right along with the kids! I learned how to wind surf at the Baltic Sea and climb high ropes in Schwerin! There is plenty of time to explore the surrounding towns with your fellow counselors and experience the culture of Germany.

The relationships you build with the other counselors, the children, and Sabine are absolutely heart-warming and it is a summer you will never forget. I smile every time I think about my summer in Germany and would love to go back and do it over and over again!

• Professional Development

From one summer to a lifetime of international friends, lessons, and memories.

After I finished my Bachelors, I decided to move to Europe and LEOlingo was my "starting point". The first week of intensive training was bind boggling, but FUN and it truly prepared me to have more confidence in myself and how to be a role model for the campers. Now, summer 2014 will be my fourth summer at LEOlingo and I will be leading that very same training week, so BE READY! :D

My first summer at camp was a BLAST! I met so many wonderful people and on our week of holiday, we went to the beautiful Prague. Late summer, I headed north to the Baltic Sea for a camp there, then traveled Hamburg and Berlin. After that summer, I kept in touch with the few counselors I connected with and we met in Italy, Greece, and, upon a trip home to Milwaukee, one flew from Seattle to spend the week!

SOCIAL LIFE:
LEOlingo opens your mind to not only the German culture, but introduces you to other Brits/Aussies/Kiwis/Canadians/Irish/Yankees, etc. which has taught me loads about my own English! In addition, because 85% of the job requires you to be a goofball, these people become your "European Family" practically within a week. In addition, weekends and holiday weeks allow you to travel with your new friends.

CAMP:
Language games, songs, sports… all spent teaching in Bavaria, Germany. What more could you ask for?
From youth hostels to small castles, the Bavarian countryside is nothing less than blissful and adventurous at the same time. Counselors are encouraged to challenge campers through a playful atmosphere… the best way of learning for both parties. National sports are introduced (rugby, American football, cricket, etc.) and those are mixed with both vocabulary and, depending on the level or age of the campers, more “conversational” games. (Not to worry, you will learn ALL of these in training week!)

EMPLOYER:
LEOlingo is a co-owned company. Sabine is the fun-loving lady in the north, and Andrea is the adventurous one in the south. Both are dedicated to their employees and take good care of them. They ensure that you’re comfortable and confident in your job, the campers, and other team members for the week. They recognize when you’re working hard, are grateful for the extra work put in, and welcome you into their own families for the summer.

COMPARING CAMPS AND SAVING MONEY:
When comparing to other summer camps across Europe, LEOlingo is not a large company organization that employs hundreds of counselors. If you’re looking for a “family-feel” business, LEOlingo is the ticket. Plus, most other camps offer to provide only accommodation and food, no wage. LEOlingo takes care of all three of those, plus provides transportation costs to your camp the following week. If you’re still at Uni or wish to travel a bit afterwards, you’ll save a good chunk of change. If you ask me, this is a no-brainer!

“FREE TIME”
A popular phrase among the German campers, we know counselors value theirs too.
Weekends are your time to do/see what you like. There are times where you may be at a more remote campsite and allows you explore the beauties of German nature, and have a weekend of “Zen”. I personally loved these weekends of hiking and exploring the village towns nearby to try their home brew. :)
If you choose not to stay, you're welcome to find your own weekend plans as well. As for holiday weeks off, counselors usually are granted one week (Saturday-Saturday).

OVERALL:
Overall, LEOlingo has been a life-changing experience for me. Call it a “cliché” but the fact that I’ll be retuning for my fourth summer says a lot about a company. Since my first summer in 2011, I decided to stay abroad and teach English. The reward you receive as a counselor, or now a teacher for me, is unforgettable. Campers look up to you, rely on you, and you’ll be in their memory as one of the first native English speakers they’ve ever met. The impact you make on them could not only change their opinion on studying a foreign language, but how they see the world. It certainly has done just that for me.

• Support Services

LEOlingo changed my life!

This may sound like an overstatement, but it's actually very true!

I worked for LEOlingo in summer 2013. Before that, I hadn't taught English before, nor had I worked as a camp counsellor. I was, however, ready to have fun, make a fool of myself, meet new people and see new places. As it turned out, I did all of those things and more, and as a result enjoyed my time so much that I've since done an English teaching course, now live in Germany and can't wait for summer 2014 to come around for round 2!

I met a brilliant group of likeminded people and had so much fun in a really positive environment. I hadn't realised just how rewarding it would be to work as a camp counsellor. Of course it was challenging at times (12 young teenagers can be a tougher crowd than you might think!), but that's why you get so much from it in the end, and the more fun you have, the easier it is! Andrea and Sabine are such kind and generous people to work for. I couldn't really believe my luck, being paid for enjoying everything from a 500m zip wire across a lake in Bavaria to canoeing on the Baltic Sea! Both areas around Nuremberg and Hamburg offer fantastic opportunities to travel and enjoy the local culture too.

Really, don't hesitate to send an application their way, it can open the door to so many great experiences - it certainly did for me!

Camp counselor

This is one of the best places I have ever worked. I came for my first summer in 2008 and thought Germany, why not? I continued to come back summer after summer till 2012! The work environment was stunning and I always felt taken care of. The initial time I went over I was scared of getting a visa and getting around without issues, I could not have been more wrong. The culture and overall good natured people of Germany were amazing. The program gave me a chance to grow as an idividual as well as a professional. I would return to Germany and this company full time if
that were an option. The management of this company was always professional and timly. Honestly if you are adventurous and want to be part of an amazing culture and country then reach out and submit a application. I had an open mind about leo-lingo and it was life changing and made me appreciate working for an amazing company.

• Professional Development

Amazing, people, amazing work, amazing experience overall!

I have worked for LEOLingo for two summers and although I loved my experience the first time, the second was even better! For those looking for a unique way to travel it is a great way to see Germany and meet people from all around the world. Everything you need to know is taught in the first week during the training. After that we work as a very tight-knit team and everyone is willing to help out and offer ideas for planning and staying organized.

If you love kids and being a goofball, this job is for you. I love getting to get to know the kids each week and actually see improvements in their English. Above all else, the relationships you create with the fellow counselors is one that lasts. I knew at the end of each summer that I now had a hand full of new friends spread out across the world that I could keep in touch with forever. That is by far the most rewarding part.

The team as a whole is an organized, well-oiled machine that taught me a lot about being more diligent with my time and learning from mistakes quickly. I highly recommend this job!

Summer in Hamburg

I worked in LEOlingo on the 2013 summer. I was there for three weeks, because of my University calendar.
My first week was basically training and helping out the other counselors, we were an amazing team and I'm still friends with all of them.
The second week I was in charge of the evening programs, so I spent the days planning for the evening, going to the beach, reading... It was a very nice week, I would also help out other counselors during the day if needed.
The last week I had a language group, so we spent the day playing language games and doing activities, they were an incredible group and it was very easy.
We always got along with the kids very well, there were obviously some problems sometimes but it was never anything too stressing.
Overall working at LEOlingo is a great experience, the other counselors were very nice and you get to travel to different parts of Germany. On the weekends we went to Hamburg, which is one of the most impressive cities I've been in Germany (probably more than Berlin or Munchen)
The kids are very nice, at least the groups we had, and it was really fun working with them. I will miss (most) of them!