Volunteer in Healthcare in India

Volunteer in Healthcare in India

Delhi has my heart

I really feel like this program is a great way to show love through service and also participate in essential tasks in each country. I was in Faridabad in India and in the mornings on placement we learned so much. Then in the afternoons and on weekends we were free to explore. This program offered all of the safety of a home base and all of the freedom of solo travel. While in Delhi we visited the Devi temple, lotus temple, Geeta mandir, jampath market, Gurgaon, the Taj Mahal, old Faridabad market, sector 15, we went to a cinema, and all kinds of other fun things along the way. All this was done in only 1 week! The girls who stayed longer even went to Rishikesh and Jaipur! Delhi captures my heart. I told Soumita, our volunteer coordinator, I would graduate from medical school, learn Hindi and then come back and I mean it!

Healthcare Program in New Delhi

My experience with IVHQ and their healthcare program in New Delhi was excellent! I chose India not only because of its rich history and diverse culture, but also because it is a very progressive country and that made me curious as to what their healthcare system would be like.
Prior to departure, IVHQ was thorough and timely in providing support, answering questions and addressing any concerns I may have had. While in the program, I felt supported, safe and well taken care of. I had a wonderful time during orientation week! In a country like India, orientation week provided a way for me to integrate easier into an overwhelming, intense country. The week also gave me a chance to meet the other volunteers, all of whom were an immense pleasure to be with. Without a doubt, the highlight of orientation week was visiting the Taj Mahal. It was absolutely beautiful and words still cannot fully describe my experience! The health program itself was great. I had the chance to work in a Slum Clinic and being a health professional, was able to participate in many hands-on activities. This clinic is invaluable to the community and to have been able to contribute my time was a privilege. The only downside was that we were only in our placements for 4 hours per day. I had hoped to maximize my short stay and provide more working hours. Overall, the program is better than I could have expected and hoped for. I suggest it for those wanting to explore India and step out of their comfort zone but do so in a guided and safe manner that allows them to give back to the local community at the same time. I am thankful for my experience and very happy that I chose to do it with IVHQ.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review July 09, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback. We are glad to hear that your volunteer program exceeded your expectations. It definitely sounds like you had a positive and rewarding volunteer experience. Thanks for choosing IVHQ and we hope to see you on another program in the future.