Volunteer in Healthcare and Medicine in Costa Rica

Volunteer in Healthcare and Medicine in Costa Rica

A Greek studying medicine in London travelling to Costa Rica!

During an 11 hour flight to Costa Rica, all i could feel was stress about how my trip was going to be, the house i'm gonna stay in, the family, my roommates, my project, how am i going to communicate with my basic Spanish. I did not know then i was embarking on the best experience of my life and all i needed was excitement. From the first moment i stepped on this country i felt it was gonna be great. Communication required some hand gestures but that led to the funniest moments as well! The family i stayed with was amazing, the organisation (IVHQ) and everyone working there were more than helpful and accommodating, my roommates and everyone i met will always be my friends and part of this amazing journey and more importantly i will never forget my placement and the people working at the nursing home of Cartago. 3 weeks were not enough and i will definitely come back or try a new destination next year! Thank you!

Getting to know the real Costa Rica

I remember the day before I left to Costa Rica to volunteer abroad I felt very nervous and unsure of what to expect when I landed in the beautiful tropical country. The moment I set foot off the plane, I met other volunteers who just arrived as well and it was comforting to know that we were all in the same position feeling the same wave of emotions. We drove to our volunteer organization, Maximo Nivel, where we had an orientation and got introduced to tons of more volunteers. That first day I met life long friends and we spent everyday together after we volunteered at our specific locations. I helped out at an elderly nuns convent and assisted with simple tasks such as eating and walking. Although I couldn't speak a word of Spanish other than, muchas gracias, being able to put a smile on these women's faces was the most rewarding experience ever. They had so much appreciation for young people coming to help them and above all sit and just listen to them. Being able to hold each others hands portrayed so much emotion and love which I will take with me for the rest of my life. Costa Rica took me away from a life of materialistic things and really had me embrace how simple things such as laughing with a stranger can make a permanent impact on your life rather than just purchasing a brand new pair of shoes. I feel like I have grown more mature from my short time in Costa Rica and would volunteer abroad again in a heart beat.