Volunteer in Childcare in Nepal

Volunteer in Childcare in Nepal

Great experience - IVHQ/Vertical Ascent in Kathmandu, Nepal

My experience working as a volunteer for IVHQ was a truly great one - one that I will never forget. It proved to be just as fun, authentic and rewarding as promised, and then some.

The organisation with regard to both the IVHQ team and their partner team, Vertical Ascent in Nepal, was brilliant. I feel the whole process was extremely thorough, and I had little to no trouble during the preparation process as it was all explained and covered in the online guide. The website itself is rich with resources and links to make sure you are prepared, wherever you go, and for whatever sector you are volunteering in. Upon application I was contacted by a member of staff and felt it easy to exchange and ask questions which was extremely helpful. The communication was also very quick.

My experience in-country as a volunteer was more than I could have asked for. The links were amazing. I always felt safe and appreciated. The orientation was so thoughtful and really broke me in to the city. I acclimatised quicker because of the care the local staff put into the orientation, and I feel this is something IVHQ press in all of their programmes. There was a great sense of camaraderie and a really good way to kick-start the volunteering. The volunteering itself was carefully considered; I felt listened to and was able to make a difference during my placement. IVHQ have great connections and seem to be expanding these connections, something I actually experienced when I was out volunteering, as I was able to extend my placement and be flexible, working at various places.

On the whole, my experience working with IVHQ was extremely worth it. I would love to volunteer with the organisation again in the future.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review June 25, 2018 at 11:01 PM

Hey Simon, thanks for your feedback. It's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed the program and it sounds like you made a real positive difference. I'm sure you made many lasting memories. We would love to see you volunteer with us again. ^Samuel - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Childcare project in Pokhara, Nepal

Volunteering is something I have been doing regularly. However this was my first time travelling abroad to volunteer and I have to say IVHQ has been an extremely helpful and trusted organisation.The local coordinators were very friendly and put in all their efforts to ensure we had a great experience.

I chose the childcare project in Pokhara, Nepal for two weeks. This program enabled me to meet and also grow close to new people which included volunteers from across the world, our homestay family, the local coordinators and the kids at the school. Even though my program was only for two weeks it was difficult not to get attached to the kids.
My placement was at a Montessori school in Pokhara. I was amazed at the level of curiosity showed by kids aged 2-6 years old. The teachers and kids were also extremely welcoming and treated us as part of the school.
Travelling alone for the first time made me nervous initially but my homestay family were the most caring and supportive people and during my stay, never did I miss home.
My favourite part of the volunteering was teaching the kids rhymes and songs because they would enthusiastically sing and dance along. I walked in to help and teach the kids and walked out learning much more from them!
I’m extremely glad I chose to volunteer in Nepal. It’s breathtaking views and beautiful people will certainly bring me back. It was an extremely memorable and life changing experience.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review May 22, 2018 at 10:43 PM

Hi Sharanya, thank you for your feedback. It's wonderful to hear that your first overseas volunteering experience went so well. Traveling solo to help others in need is a unique experience that I'm sure you will remember for many years to come! ^Sam - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Childcare in Pokhara, Nepal

I did my first volunteering in Nepal (Pokhara) through IVHQ, I can say that was one of the best experiences in my life. The staff was amazing very helpful and worried about giving you the best, also the company have volunteers of very different countries, so I had the opportunity to share this amazing experience with more people.
Also the people in the childcare place were really kind and were guiding us to really enjoy the program and make the difference with the kids!

Thank you IVHQ!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 5:04 PM

Hi Mariangel, thank you for your review of our Nepal program. It's wonderful to hear that you had such a great time on your first volunteer trip abroad and I'm sure the locals at your placement are extremely grateful for the help you gave them! ^Sam - IVHQ Nepal Program Manager

Fourteen Days to Make A Change

IVHQ feedback and review
I've always had an ambition to do something, even though what I am capable of may be slight. And it is the support from IVHQ that made this ambition come true.

I have to confess that although inspired to do volunteer work, but I still feel nervous and flurried when I was actually preparing to practice my ambition. But IVHQ provides volunteers with detailed orientation. In My IVHQ everything was made so clear and easy to settle that my worries and fear disappeared gradually while I followed the instructions and prepare my journey step by step. The to-do list and interactive training are creative as well as useful.

Having completed the online training, finally it was time to go. Encountering nearly 30 hours’ delay, I arrived at Nepal tired but excited. The local team found me when I was issuing a SIM card after waiting outside the airport for hours. Arriving at the guesthouse, I met with the hospitable local coordinator Gone through all the ups and downs; my volunteer trip in Nepal smoothly began.

In Kathmandu, I with volunteers from all over the world enjoyed sightseeing, learning Nepalese, glancing at the culture and history of Nepal. During the 3-day orientation, we began to understand this land beneath our feet.

This feeling became truer and truer after I jolted on the bus for seven hours all the way to Pokhara. This quiet town situated by the side of Phewa lake was where I would spend my eight days, for three of the scheduled fourteen days have been spent in Kathmandu. My homestay was not so pleasant due to the situation of the owner, but their enthusiasm can surely make anyone feel at home. My Nepal mother Bishnu runs the orphanage named Pokhara nestling home; her sister Sundra takes care of the children, and even her own children live together with the orphans.

I went to nestling home in the morning to play with children, ate Nepalese brunch with them and took them to school. In the afternoon, I went to pick them up from school, helped them with homework and watched exaggerate Nepalese TV series. Time flied by, I gradually recognized that children here might have a higher living standard than ordinary children in Nepal; they are able to practice English much more frequently, they are exposed to the outer world by rummaging our cameras and phones for photos, they can get cherished chocolate which is so rare that even Sundra took a bite with great pleasure. The orphans lost their parents’ company but are accompanied by volunteers consistently, and love and patience is the only thing we can provide them with.

When I was about to leave, Chloe, another volunteer asked me if I was prepared. I recalled my volunteer journey and finally found out that I didn’t and would never be. I had to confess that I feel really happy when Sundra asked me to wash plates with her or the children asked me to sweep the floor, I feel so good about being admitted as a member of their little family.

The day before my departure, I was with my two girls from dusk until the sun completely sank down and stars twinkled in the skies. Nisha, the oldest girl, always quite and shy, suddenly rounded her arms around my neck and leaned her face to my shoulder. We stood outside the room under the vast starry night for so long that we didn’t say a word but we took the moment to say goodbye. Susmita, the cute, smart little beauty, shot countless selfie on my mobile phone and asked me to check them when I miss her. Maybe they are smart enough to do these little things for every volunteer, but I cherish these so much for they are unique to me.

IVHQ gives me the courage to go on the road, and the journey gave me the shiniest moments in my lifetime.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review February 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Hi Sheree, Thank you for sharing your review. We are so glad it was such a positive experience for you in Nepal and we hope to welcome you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

IVHQ Nepal Orphanage Program (2 weeks)

I spent 2 weeks in Nepal, and most of the time spent there was to volunteer at an orphanage in Pokhara (an 8 hours bus drive away from Kathmandu) that was done through IVHQ.

Much support was given from the very start when I decided to register for the program till the end of it. I was facilitated well and was informed about the different procedures. The IVHQ team was always prompt with their email replies which made the process before departing to Nepal a smooth one.

I didn't encounter an unpleasant experience at the airport when I reached Nepal. The locals came to pick me up at the airport, as was told in the email by the representative from Nepal that collaborated with IVHQ. I fully trusted that someone would be there promptly as I exited the airport, so I didn't bother talking to any other taxi drivers who were eager to provide me with a taxi.

The stay at Kathmandu over the few days for orientation was cosy and comfortable. The orientation definitely introduced us well to the culture and customs of the locals. I felt that was important as it would be good to know the different things that may be important while staying with the local family for the entire period of the program.

The support given by the representatives at Nepal too were helpful and were ready to clarify any queries that I had. Though it might have been better if we were told an idea of the orphanage that we would be assigned to even before we leave for the program to prepare materials that could be used to engage ourselves with the children.

The host family that I stayed with was definitely welcoming. It was such a great experience to be staying with the locals and to have had dinner with them every night. It was a good way to experience Nepal 'like a local'.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review January 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Hi Mardhiah, Thanks for your feedback! It’s great that you felt supported by IVHQ before departure and welcome and looked after by our partner organisation and your host family when in Nepal. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ and we hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.