Volunteer and Teach in Laos

Volunteer and Teach in Laos

Laos: Incredible, life changing, and filled with love

Incredible, life changing, and filled with love is how I would describe my experience volunteer teaching in Laos. I set out on my own and joined this program with the hope to help children develop their language skills so that they might have better career options in the future. I had no formal classroom teaching experience, but for three weeks IVHQ gave me the utmost guidance and support. The schools had a clear understanding of the volunteer's role and were extremely organised. Knowing what my responsibility was as a volunteer, and their expectations really helped me to contribute all my skills productively. The children too, are aware of your role as a volunteer and that you may only be there for a short time-frame. This is so important for the children, and I was really impressed with how IVHQ has developed the teaching program in Laos.

Everyday I taught an English class in the morning and afternoon at two different schools. We had to cycle to the schools, and it was amazing to be able to immerse myself in the Laos landscape and understand the Laos lifestyle. The school teachers were extremely supportive and would sometimes try to learn English like the students when I was teaching. It was a really special feeling to be able to support the community in this way, and develop their language skills.

Throughout the rest of the day, there was plenty of time to socialise with the other volunteers, go exploring, prepare for lessons and play some sport! The IVHQ program really fosters a sense of family. I went to Laos alone, but I developed life-long friendships with the other volunteers and program facilitators. We went travelling to Luang Prabang and the city on the weekends, and this really helped to enhance my understanding of Laos and the culture. It has definitely been the most incredible, life-changing experience, filled with soo much love and happiness, I have ever had. I would relive it again and again and again.