Volunteer and Teach in Laos

Volunteer and Teach in Laos

IVHQ Laos

I had wanted to volunteer for a few years before hearing about IVHQ through a friend and thought they were the perfect match for me. The IVHQ team prior to departure were extremely helpful in answering any questions and helping me change my program dates last minute. The local team once at the project were beyond amazing. The passion for helping the community was truly felt by the local team and they passed on that passion to each volunteer. The food was amazing and catered to everyone with a mix of local and western food. There were some great social games organized after dinner most nights which was a great way to break the ice and meet other volunteers doing other projects. The orientation was a great opportunity to explore the local area and learn about the culture. In the short time I was there I felt I was able to make a genuine connection with the community, the local team, the children and my fellow volunteers. My only regret is that I didn’t stay longer!

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review July 03, 2018 at 9:42 PM

Thank you so much Geri! We are so pleased that you loved your time in Laos - it certainly is a special place full of fantastic people and community spirit! Your feedback has been really insightful and I know future volunteers will find this very helpful. We look forward to having you join us again soon! ^William - IVHQ Laos Program Manager

Laos: Incredible, life changing, and filled with love

Incredible, life changing, and filled with love is how I would describe my experience volunteer teaching in Laos. I set out on my own and joined this program with the hope to help children develop their language skills so that they might have better career options in the future. I had no formal classroom teaching experience, but for three weeks IVHQ gave me the utmost guidance and support. The schools had a clear understanding of the volunteer's role and were extremely organised. Knowing what my responsibility was as a volunteer, and their expectations really helped me to contribute all my skills productively. The children too, are aware of your role as a volunteer and that you may only be there for a short time-frame. This is so important for the children, and I was really impressed with how IVHQ has developed the teaching program in Laos.

Everyday I taught an English class in the morning and afternoon at two different schools. We had to cycle to the schools, and it was amazing to be able to immerse myself in the Laos landscape and understand the Laos lifestyle. The school teachers were extremely supportive and would sometimes try to learn English like the students when I was teaching. It was a really special feeling to be able to support the community in this way, and develop their language skills.

Throughout the rest of the day, there was plenty of time to socialise with the other volunteers, go exploring, prepare for lessons and play some sport! The IVHQ program really fosters a sense of family. I went to Laos alone, but I developed life-long friendships with the other volunteers and program facilitators. We went travelling to Luang Prabang and the city on the weekends, and this really helped to enhance my understanding of Laos and the culture. It has definitely been the most incredible, life-changing experience, filled with soo much love and happiness, I have ever had. I would relive it again and again and again.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Hi Yvette, It is fantastic to read about your experience on the Laos program and to hear that you really immersed yourself in the local culture. The schools and students certainly do appreciate the knowledge our volunteers offer and they find it an exciting opportunity to receive English lessons from our volunteers. It is great that as an inexperienced teacher you felt prepared to make a productive contribution. Thanks for your hard work and the time you gave to the program! ^Sarah - IVHQ Laos Program Manager