Volunteer and Teach English in Sri Lanka

Volunteer and Teach English in Sri Lanka

Positive experience teaching in Sri Lanka

I feel so grateful to have had the opportunity to volunteer in Sri Lanka with IVHQ. From the moment I began my application, I felt incredibly supported by the IVHQ staff and knew I would be in good hands once arriving in a foreign country. As a solo volunteer traveling from the U.S., I was nervous and had many questions before the trip. The IVHQ staff were more than helpful in answering my questions and easing my worries. The program itself was wonderful. I stayed in a home with a lovely Sri Lankan family and 6 other volunteers. The home was basic but comfortable and clean. I felt as though I was getting the authentic experience, which is exactly what I wanted. My program was teaching English in a local pre-school. This experience was also positive, and I really enjoyed the children and the teachers of the school. It was not always easy as the language barrier did make it difficult to communicate with the kids, but overall I felt like I was applying my teaching skills in a meaningful way. I still keep in touch with the teachers, the other volunteers, and the family I lived with. Sri Lanka will always have a special place in my heart, and I look back on this experience fondly. I highly recommend IVHQ for those considering volunteer projects abroad.

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 14, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Hi Paula, What a great review! Thank you for your kind words – it has been our pleasure to help you prepare for your trip to Sri Lanka and we are so glad that you had a wonderful time. Thanks for recommending IVHQ and we would love to welcome you onto another program in the future!
    Sean – IVHQ Sri Lanka Program Manager