Learn Italian in Tuscany @ Il Sasso Language Institute
"Il Sasso" - School of Italian in Tuscany Header Image "Il Sasso" - School of Italian in Tuscany Header Image

Learn Italian in Tuscany @ Il Sasso Language Institute

• Facilities

The best time of my life! Unforgettable experiences!

Review for Il Sasso

I can not recommend Il Sasso enough. It was the stuff dreams and memories are made of. I say that because, I dreamed of doing such a thing and acted upon the desire, then so many memories were made.....which are now part of my soul. All of that, may seem overly dramatic, however, I am a married 52 year old female with a full life at home. It was exciting to take time off for myself and do what I wanted. I was 4 weeks at school and an additional 2 weeks traveling.

There are different levels, you are given a quick assessment and them placed in a class.
There were different students coming and going each week. They came for 1 week, 2 weeks, 4-6 weeks and even for 3 months. The staff at Il Sasso are kind, patient, encouraging, warm, and helpful. They want you to succeed at learning....and get as happy and excited (as you do yourself)....when a ‘breakthrough’ is made.
We would have a grammar class and a conversation class. There was a little bit of homework (which I didn’t always manage to complete before class). I also signed up for the private lessons, which could be done solo or with a second person. The private(solo) lessons helped me get over the hump/blockade that I had in learning Italian. I really was able to progress as the teacher assessed where I was having the trouble and then really worked on that (what a kind and Patient man Alberto was with me)!!!

There are after school activities as also excursions offered to reinforce your learning. You are able to do as much or as little of the extracurricular activities as you would like. I had as much fun after school, as I did in school.

If you come on your own and have concern about being lonely or unsafe—in my opinion....there is not a problem with either here. So much to do, so much to see!
I walked in the city at night (sometimes late) by myself with no bother at all.

The picturesque town, the surrounding area, the history. I will never get enough. I plan on returning as soon as I possibly can.
I am willing to provide additional information if anyone has additional questions.

• Facilities

Italienisch lernen im "Mittelalter"

Vor 3 Jahren wollte ich in meiner Heimatstadt italienisch lernen, in der dortigen Volkshochschule waren jedoch nicht genügend Schüler angemeldet ,sodass der geplante Kurs nicht stattfinden konnte. Da traf ich auf der Strasse Bekannte und diese rieten mir einhellig ich solle doch nach Montepulciano in die Sprachschule "Il Sasso" gehen, dort könne ich sehr schnell italienisch lernen.
Nach 3 Wochen war ich in der Sprachschule nach unkomplizierter Anmeldung und Wohnungsfindung, ich war zunächst völlig überwältigt von der Atmosphäre dieser wunderschön auf einem Hügel gelegenen seit dem Mittelalter nahezu unveränderten Stadt.
Die Begrüßung durch alle Mitarbeiter war äußerst herzlich und liebenswert. Der Unterricht wurde in kleinen Gruppen abgehalten ( zu meiner Zeit im November waren es 5 Schüler pro Gruppe), es wurde auf Kontinuität der Lehrer geachtet. Der Unterricht wurde abgehalten in italienischer Sprache, bei Problemen konnte das polyglotte Lehrerteam auch in anderen Sprachen Erklärungen geben. Neben der Theorie wurden die sprachlichen Kenntnisse auch im alltäglichen Leben angewandt. Die Zusammensetzung der Gruppen ist multikulturell, sodass man neben dem Erlernen der Sprache auch interessante neue Menschen kennen lernen kann. Bei mir waren dies Menschen aus Irland, Österreich, USA, UK,Armenien und Australien, mit denen ich mich intensiv austauschen konnte, alle sagten auch, dass sie bisher schon verschiedene Sprachschulen in Italien besucht hatten wie Bologna, Rom oder Florenz, aber alle - so wie auch ich- werden wieder nach " Il Sasso" zurückkehren weil das die perfekte Sprachschule ist, als Schule selbst und das in einer unglaublichen Umgebung in einer der schönsten Regionen Italiens.

A very special experience

I've been learning Italian for more years that I can count, and have attended several language schools in Italy, but can unequivocally say that my experience at Il Sasso is very special. Its due to a combination of the teachers, the way the school is managed, the students it attracts, and the fabulous setting where it takes place. Since 2012 I've attended Il Sasso three times, and I'm planning my fourth visit this September. Each time I go, it reinforces the joy of learning Italian in this beautiful place, surrounded by like minded people. I also like the continuity of the teachers at the school. My first teacher in 2012 is still there, and I recognize others as having been there as well. This attests to the warm ("accogliente") environment in the school, and the warm relationships it engenders. Il Sasso is an important part of the Montepulciano community and, as students in the school, we're embraced and feel welcomed in it.
It doesn't hurt that the school is located in one of the most gorgeous cities in Tuscany, surrounded by jaw dropping vistas , home to world class wineries , and fantastic restaurants. But to me, the most important factor is how they've helped me advance in the language and given me the tools to keep excelling in it. Cant wait until I'm there again!

• Facilities

An exceptional school in a magical setting

I first learned about Il Sasso, referred to as our "sister school" in Italy, while studying Italian in my home town. Talk of an exceptional education and wonderful past experiences relating to this long established Italian language school, is spoken of often by enthusiastic, returning students wishing to share those experiences with others. Since my first visit to Il Sasso in 2011 I have returned every year, sometimes twice, and learned quickly that I am not the only one who does so year after year, and has such respect, admiration, and love for this Italian language school par excellence. Through the warm and welcoming atmosphere, I have met students from all over the world and have maintained many of those special relationships.
The lessons are engaging, challenging yet rewarding, the instructors highly educated, skilled and passionate, and the setting in the medieval, renaissance, Tuscan town of Montepulciano, which sits high on a ridge surrounded by vineyards and olive groves, is nothing less than magical.
The support of the shopkeepers, restaurateurs, and residents of Montepulciano to the students attending Il Sasso is unequaled. Their patience, encouragement, and reassurance provided to all students wishing to practice this language in real life settings is nothing short of commendable. Many of them are now like family. One can be truly immersed in the learning experience, if one so chooses.
Lastly, the school is adept at evaluating your level of competence, ensuring you are placed in the correct class of your peers, providing assistance with housing ranging from hotels to apartments to staying with local families, and assisting with modes of transportation arriving and departing Montepulciano. Between staff members and instructors, many languages are spoken, therefore help is readily available.
I cannot recommend this school highly enough, and attribute much of my level of competence to courses taken at Il Sasso, and I always look forward to returning year after year.