IES Internships - Milan Summer Internship
IES Internships participant inside a stadium IES Internships participant inside a stadium

IES Internships - Milan Summer Internship

Summer in Milan

Summer is Milan, Italy is unlike summer anywhere else. The city starts to slow down but is still full of life and an amazing place to live and work. This past summer I was a digital media intern for a company called Menuale. Menuale is a search engine for restaurants in Milan and Rome, and I was helping them expand to London. It was an incredible experience for me because it matched my interests and I got to work with many different groups of people as well as expand my knowledge and skills. My day would consist of waking up in my beautiful apartment that was located in the city center. I would have class in the morning and then take the train to my internship which I would get to just in time to have lunch with my co-workers. After work, there were countless things to do in Milan for fun. Just steps from my apartment were beautiful and lively restaurants and coffee shops which were both great places to get an evening aperitivo with friends. Also just a short walk or subway ride from the apartment was the incredible Duomo, which served as a meeting place for friends. Making friends was easy in Milan, because along with the other student interns in the program, many locals were very receptive to meeting new people. I loved the experience of getting to know new friends who were locals because it gave me a rich and authentic view of life in Milan, and I was never bored! When I wasn't in class or working at my internship I loved just wandering around the city and exploring new places. There were so many beautiful and unique places that I would never have found if I did not just go for a walk without a destination in mind. Overall, my IES summer internship experience was beyond incredible. The program was run very well, with a very friendly and professional staff who really cared about everyone having the best experience that they could. I would (and have) recommend IES to all of my friends and anyone that is looking to have a life-changing summer, because that is truly what it was for me. Milan will always be one of my favorite cities and I can not wait until I get the chance the go back!

A very rewarding experience

The IES summer internship program in Milan was one of the most rewarding and exciting experiences of my life. The program exceeded my expectations in many areas - living situation, internship placement, safety, resources and more.

My apartment - and all of the other students' apartments - were in great locations throughout the city and all of them were close to Metra stops which was convenient and safe. I was located about a 10 minute walk from the Duomo area, which was the city center and a hub for shopping, eating, and tourism. I really appreciated the condition of the apartment and its location - I was able to feel at home and comfortable with getting around pretty quickly.

All of the students were provided with a Metra card with our pictures already on it, which was nice to not have to deal with on the first day of class/internships. Most of the apartments are within a 20 minute metro ride to the IES center which was also very convenient for morning class. A typical weekday included Italian class or internship seminar in the morning, lunch afterward at a local restaurant or back at the apartment, and then the internship for about 5 hours a day. Many days my roommates and I would head to the Duomo after work for some gelato and shopping. We all felt so lucky to be able to walk to the city center in just 10 minutes.

I really enjoyed my internship - I worked at a communications agency called La Fabbrica. I learned so much about the field and my coworkers were very accommodating and friendly towards me. The internship was very rewarding and I felt that I gained knowledge and skills rather than just doing coffee runs or typical intern activities.

On weekends, I had the opportunity to travel to many amazing places in Italy and across Europe such as Venice, Cinque Terre, Switzerland, Spain, Monaco, and more. Milan was a very easy city to travel from, we usually traveled to other countries out of the Central Station or from Malpensa airport, which could be reached by train from Central Station.

Overall, I felt very lucky to have been a part of the IES internship program. The staff and resources were more than I could have asked for and I always felt that I had a safe place to turn to or ask questions. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to work and study abroad in a metropolitan area (with great pizza and gelato, of course).

Best months of my life

Indeed! This past summer in Milan was one of the best summers I've ever had. Italy is so beautiful and Milan is such an amazing city. I did an internship in the area of communications- Fashion industry. I worked at Nologo Mgmt, a model agency based in Milan who works with the models from the Fashion Runways and important brands such as Prada, Gucci, etc.
I met a lot of people from all different backgrounds and careers that where there as well for other internships.

A typical week in the summer program would include going to the University twice a week for the leadership seminar that we are required to take and two other days for language classes (which I do recommend since it helped me a lot to understand basic things from local people and cultural aspects). These classes are in the morning, then I ate lunch and afterwards I would go to work.
The instructors and the management of the seminar was excellent and the quality of teaching was very good. I enjoyed my time at the IES seminar and Italian classes. Over the weekends I got to travel around Italy and other countries in Europe.

I must say it's important to go with an open mind and ready to learn from anything and anyone. This program is definitely about the cultural experience, learning how to be independent, adapt in a foreign country, learning soft skills, and meet all kinds of people, with the perks of gaining working experience and a reference letter for resume purposes and career interests.

About the Internship, it's important to not expect to work something exactly in the field of interest or that the job will be perfect, internships are to learn soft skills. There are of course some people who were lucky like me to actually work and do something related to the field of interest, but there were others that didn't have the job or the work experience they wished. That's when it's important to have the right mindset and take advantage of other areas that can be improved such as people skills, organization, etc.
The travel package information that was given prior the trip , explained everything I needed to know prior to departure. It was very explicit and when I emailed the staff, they answered promptly to any questions I had.

Overall it was a great experience, and I would do it all over again. Great Program!

Summer in Milan

Over Christmas break this past year I sat on my computer and looked at various different study abroad websites. I knew that I wanted to study abroad, but I also knew that I needed to build my resume during the. When I came across the IES Abroad Internship Program, I knew that it was a perfect fit. Not only could I spend an amazing summer in Milan, Italy, but also gain cultural and work experience while doing it! I worked for a tour guide business called Autostradale doing event planning and marketing. The workers were so helpful and welcoming and we still keep contact. I learned so much from them over the course of two months, and they continuously told me they learned from me as well. I also got to travel on the weekends with my new friends and visit beautiful countries such as Spain, Greece, Prague, and Monaco. Milan’s northern location in Italy made it very easy to travel by both train and plane. The friendships I built are still alive and well in the United States and we plan on visiting each other soon! I have had several job interviews in the past month and they have all asked me about my internship. It definitely built my resume and added global knowledge to my background. It was a wonderful experience that I will cherish forever!

Exceedingly rewarding before I even hit the halfway mark

Milan is a great place to intern for any job related to fashion, business, marketing, architecture, or engineering. I'm a journalism major, my placement was in marketing, and it exceeded my expectations. I lucked out with an incredibly nice boss in a job where I was given responsibilities most interns don't get to see. I stay in touch with him to this day and he's a great resource for me.
As far as the location goes Milan is the perfect amount of city - not enormous or overwhelmed with sky scrapers. It doesn't take long to learn the map and get around on your own, plus the buildings are European-style and beautiful. I was told that Italians can be rude, that's false. Have you met a New Yorker? Be prepared to fall in love with the country.

My Nomad summer

My experience in the IES Internship program in Milan was a molding experience in my young life. The curriculum proved to prepare me for unexpected cultural differences, and advice from professors helped to soften the transition into my new surroundings. The internship placement in and of itself was a uniquely rewarding experience. I was privileged enough to be placed in a small startup company with fantastically hospitable bosses. They had a vested interest in my success and my professional development. They were very open about what they expected and how I would help them in their progress as a company. Additionally, they followed through by giving me great responsibility such as creating presentations to acquire their next round of funding, and creating comprehensive marketing campaigns to aid in their rebranding efforts.

Aside from the classes and internship hours, the program gave me the fantastic opportunity to travel extensively. My placement allowed flexible hours and encouraged me to discover my new surroundings. Every weekend I was able to embark on a new journey, and I am honestly able to say I saw more than I ever could have hoped to see in one summer. This travel forced me to mature into a confident, decisive, and adaptable young woman. "Expect the unexpected" held true for me, as I navigated unseen obstacles and made the most of seemingly thwarted plans.

Whether I was listening in the classroom of the IES Center in Milan, or riding camels in Morocco, this IES Program allowed me to grow in ways that exceeded my expectations, and taught me lessons that I continue to benefit from today.

Milan Publishing Internship

My internship with IES Abroad was overall fairly positive. Laura (the internship coordinator) set me up with an internship that was even more relevant to my career goals than anything I could have found for myself even in the US, and having international experience looks good on a resume and is something to talk about in cover letters .

However, I would caution that the fact that the internship was exactly what I wanted was really what made the experience worthwhile to me. The classes provided by IES, particularly the internship seminar, weren't really valuable at all.