IES Abroad Vienna - Music Semester/Year Program
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Vienna - Music Semester/Year Program

Everything I wanted

I got to study with a master violinist, perform a lot, see major ensembles like the Vienna Phil and Vienna State Opera for free or for very cheap, take classes that I could use for my major, and meet a lot of locals, one of them being a lifelong friend that I'll never forget. I also learned so much more German in just one semester than I thought I would, seeing as I didn't know any when I got to Vienna. I lived in an apartment that was about 20 minutes away from the city center, which I thought was really nice--close enough and far away from all the tourists. I also took advantage of a lot of the IES Abroad opportunities like Student Council and Student Forum, which I found rewarding. There really is nothing more that I would have wanted.

An Ad{Wien}ture I'll Never Forget

I could sing my praises for the IES Abroad Vienna Music program for days (literally, because I am a vocal music major). This program truly made my semester abroad one to remember. The IES Abroad faculty at the Vienna center, located in an old Palais in the heart of the city, by the way, were helpful, supportive, and all-around excellent. The staff truly took care of us and always went the extra mile to personally see that each student had a fun and successful semester. As a music student, it was so amazing to be able to take music courses in Vienna that would actually transfer to my home university and that gave me the opportunity to perform there, as well. The course selection in Vienna is wide, especially because there is also a European Culture and Society program there, so I got the chance to take some courses outside of my field of study, which definitely enhanced my learning experience. IES Abroad also provided amazing field trips and social programs throughout the semester that exposed us to more of Vienna and Austria and helped make the city feel like a home-away-from-home. I can't wait to return for reunions and more time in the city of music.

Wonderful chance to travel

This program definitely required me to adapt to a variety of new experiences. Vienna is a wonderful city, easy to navigate with public transportation, and even if you have no German background, you will be able to get around and communicate at restaurants or stores. There is so much to do, with museums, music performances, parks to hang out in, and tons of restaurants to eat at. It is a great "home base" for traveling around Europe.
As for the actual program, the German class was well-run. My teacher was clear in her expectations, helpful, easy to understand, and a good balance of fun but firm. The homework load was not too heavy. It was not great for communicating at stores or restaurants or any basics like that. Despite that, it was fun every time I connected the dots between signs around the city and what I was learning in German class.
The academic music classes were frustrating. I definitely learned a lot, but some of the teachers did not use Moodle and left the pages up from previous years, which left us confused on required readings and due dates. Grades were not updated regularly, if at all. One class had due dates moved up (earlier) with only 2-3 days notice. This gave me a lot of stress when I wanted to go do things around the city or travel on the weekends, but would suddenly have more homework than I expected. The music performance workshop was not a good experience. One of the teachers seemed to occasionally go out of her way to publicly humiliate students and pieces were not always assigned to the instrument they were written for. This left some of us with an insane amount of rewriting to do. I had almost no practice time, but I was in a special situation due to my instrument.
Those who work at the program in administrative ways are wonderful. They are always willing to help with directions, German phrases, or ideas of fun things to do. The trips they plan are worth it too, especially if you are interested in the history of the places you visit.
Overall, study abroad was a good experience, but I can't say it was because of the classes. I met a lot of really great people and saw places I would not have seen for a really long time if I had not gone on this program.

For the aspiring musician

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the music semester program (piano and voice) at IES Abroad Vienna. The IES center itself, a clean, well-maintained (as old as it is), historic, beautiful palace has a central, accessible location that is relatively close to two metro stations. The classes are manageable, allowing study abroad students ample time to explore the city and immerse themselves in all Vienna has to offer, from its many world-class concerts to rich history to unique culture. I loved the easy access to many extremely affordable concerts: 4 euro standing room tickets at the Vienna State Opera, 6 euro tickets to Musikverein concerts… Attending so many high quality concerts exposed me to excellent music-making, a vast array of repertoire, and really helped me grow as a musician.

The faculty are knowledgeable and well-connected in Vienna, giving students access to a wealth of cultural insight. The applied music faculty consists of professors and professional musicians from Viennese conservatories and music schools, and this opportunity to work with local, professional musicians was very, very rewarding—I loved my teachers and learned a lot. IES Abroad Vienna is somewhat lenient on attendance, but not so much that it interferes with the quality of classes. The IES staff are also very helpful, friendly, and quite organized. IES also offers excellent well-planned, optional excursions for additional fees.

I lived in the apartments in Margaretenstraβe, which were very nice and comfortable to live in and made traveling anywhere in the city very easy. There are also very nice practice rooms next door to the Margaretenstraβe apartments, making practicing a breeze. In all, I had a wonderful time at IES Abroad Vienna and would highly recommend it to aspiring musicians.

Big City with a Small Town vibe

I loved Vienna! It is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve been in. Vienna offers you everything a big city has with a small-town vibe. There was something happening almost every night whether it be an opera, a jazz bar showcase, or a ball. The music program was amazing. All the music staff I interacted with were performing in Vienna. It was great to get their first-hand experience and connections to concerts. A professor connected me with a local choir that I got to sing and perform with during my semester in Vienna. I love Vienna, I already want to go back. Whenever someone tells me they are studying abroad I tell them they have to go to Vienna, at least visit it. The culture surrounds you everywhere and the people are so nice. I did a teaching internship when I was there and it was great to get out into the city and meet even more people. IES Vienna is just a great place, with amazing faculty and staff, and I’m so happy I went. I made a lot of new friends and just loved my time there, I can’t wait to go back!

Life is but a Dream

When I landed in Germany for my second layover on my way to Vienna I was looking for somewhere to sit and I was hearing everyone speaking German around me and for a second I thought "oh god what have I done?" I was sitting in a foreign airport in a foreign country, surrounded by people who looked and spoke nothing like me and I almost wanted to call my mom and tell her to buy me the next flight back home because I felt I had made a terrible mistake deciding to go so far away from home. If I had to choose one moment in my life where I felt I made the right decision, that moment would be when I chose not to call my mom when I was sitting in Germany waiting for the last leg of my 22 hour journey to Vienna. Despite all my fears and anxieties I had, I absolutely fell in love with Vienna and feel like I found a second home. Within the first 3 weeks of being in the IES program I learned to speak enough German to place an order in restaurants and ask for general directions around the city. That's when I really started to explore not only the city, but also myself. I come from a very large family with five siblings, and to all of the sudden be living in a place where I did not know anyone was scary. Eventually, I was thankful to have time to myself because it allowed me to really try new things and to experience people and places that I never would have dreamed about. For me, being in Vienna felt like a dream and even months later there are days when I wake up and wish I could go back to sleep and keep dreaming. From the $4 Vienna Philharmonic tickets to the beautiful ice rink in front of the Rathaus to the Vienna woods, everything about Vienna left me in awe and I am so incredibly thankful that I took a chance and got to have the time of my life!

Unforgettable

My experience with IES Vienna was the most educational and culturally fulfilling experience I have ever had. I had the opportunity to work with local students and teachers, which allowed me to learn more than I ever thought I would about such a beautiful city. My decision to study abroad was one of my best college decisions.

You never know what's around the corner (or even right down the street)

As a vocal performance major I expected Vienna to just be classical and very strict in their ways of living. What I came to find was the Viennese culture is very welcoming to new ideas and ways of living. The transportation was the best you could find around the world. It was fairly cheap and efficient. When it came to shopping I was able to buy groceries for a week around 30$. IES Abroad helped me find places that were within my budget and also direct me to the vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurants. Since Vienna is welcoming to new cultures I was able to find any type of cuisine. One day I would have Thai food and the next day go to my favorite Australian restaurant. The faculty was very welcoming to all of the students especially the year students. As a year student you get a very different type of experience studying abroad. It has its trials and tribulations but with the faculty they were able to help us adapt and live the year to the fullest. One of my favorite things I like to mention about studying abroad is my second semester housing I was able to choose which apartment I got to move into and somehow I ended up living on the same street as the president of Austria!

A Viennese dreamer

Studying abroad with IES Vienna was one of the best decisions I ever made. I found myself in the most remarkable city bursting with culture, music and incredible food. Vienna is a city I've always dreamed of visiting, and I had the opportunity to for the first time last January with my Music department on a European tour. It was a city like none other that I felt at home the moment I entered. I knew that I had to get back, a few days was not enough. When I returned home, I got busy working on how and when I could go to Vienna. I discovered IES and it was the perfect fit. I am pursuing a double major in clarinet performance and German, and this program allowed me to delve into both in the ideal city. I spent the last five months utterly in love with life more than ever. I was able to attend over 40 world-class performances from operas to orchestras to theater. With IES, I was connected with incredible faculty from whom I learned so much and still eagerly keep in contact with, and beyond that I gained amazing friends. My study abroad friends became family. Vienna became home. I wouldn't take back this experience for the world. Can't wait to see you again, Vienna. Ich vermisse dich.

A musical paradise

Going to Vienna was a once in a life time experience (cliche as that is to say). The quality of instructors, particularly of vocal technique and coaching, was phenomenal. I was able to see the opera every night for next to no cost, as well as pass by the beautiful opera building every day while walking to classes in the heart of the city. The program itself specifically offered several wonderful field trips on top of the other great experiences of everyday life. I went to the alps for a ski trip, and even though I broke my finger through my own ineptitude, the trip was a huge highlight. The chaperones for the trip handled my broken finger very well and I was not worried or uncomfortable during any point in the process of the hospital visit despite my weak German language skills. I cannot recommend highly enough this trip.

Vienna was just sublime

Studying abroad in Vienna through IES was truly an amazing experience. Although you need not have any prior exposure to German, I found that having some German under my belt really helped me make the most out of my experience that. Vienna is such a wonderful city to explore on your own too - there are so many cute cafes, bars, open markets, and parks. I also had the opportunity to live with a residential assistant, a fellow Austrian who I became very good friends with and who helped me see what local life was like. The IES staff in Vienna were also truly great. They cared about us having a great time, and were extremely supportive and helpful through all roadblocks we might have encountered throughout the way. At the same time, they weren't overbearing and allowed us to totally have our independence. I also loved the people who were part of the program. I made many friends who I just clicked with immediately, since there aren't many music/arts kids from my home school. I could not recommend this program more. Featured photo: the culturally acceptable daily cake and coffee!

Studying music where its history was made

As a Clarinet Performance major, studying music in Vienna was a no-brainer. With such a rich history of the arts, specifically classical music, Vienna is a great place for musicians to come and hone their craft. Not only was the atmosphere of Austria great, but the IES Vienna Program also excelled at making my study abroad experience a rewarding and comfortable one.
The living situation, in my case the music apartment building, was very comfortable and close to the center of the city, which made it easy to get to the IES center in the first district. Each apartment has three bedrooms, a kitchen, a dining area, and a split bathroom, with a shared laundry room on the ground floor. The apartments have their own set of practice rooms, which makes practicing very convenient for musicians. If they are full, there are also additional practice rooms at the center.
The staff was all very helpful, with the teachers holding courses that were full of valuable information that were taught very well. Private teachers a chosen on a student-by-student basis, in order to ensure the best fit for the skill level and musical interests of each students. Price is also a priority for these teachers; most of the time your won't be paying over 70 euro a lesson. 100 euros is usually the top end of the pricing. I never heard any complaints about private teachers that didn't fit, but if your teacher isn't the right fit for you, students are always able to switch teachers mid-semester.
The music workshop and coachings promote a very motivating and uplifting atmosphere that pushes students to hone their craft in a collaborative and professional matter. With what usually turns out to be a strange instrumentation in the performance workshop, you get to perform pieces that you don't normally get to perform. That was probably my favorite part of the IES music program; getting to perform really interesting music with extremely talented students. I got to perform everything from Romantic music to vocalises to a trio for baritone, clarinet, and piano, and I loved every second of it. With so many talented students, I was always encouraged to perfect my music for not only myself but for the sake of collaboration.
With plenty of opportunities for travel, an excellent staff, and a motivational music workshop, I cannot recommend the IES Vienna music program enough. It helped me appreciate the music of Vienna, and really fall in love with all music more. This program is one for people who are passionate about being great musicians and immersing themselves in an historic and wonderfully artistic culture.

A whirlwind of new experiences

My time with IES Vienna will be some of my most treasured moments of my life. Not only were the faculty absolutely committed to us academically, they also got to know each and every one of us in an effort to afford us the best time possible during our short time in Vienna. I also took part in an internship at Vienna's English Theatre, and the support I received during the most hectic times of my internship from all of my professors and the staff at IES was so appreciated and immeasurable. The fact that I had a class with the Center Director really proved to me his, and the whole center's, commitment to getting to know us as students and helping us thrive in a new environment.

Socially, while it was nerve-wracking at first, we all quickly be came adjusted and found lifelong friends. It was incredible being in a new and vibrant city with so many like-minded people. There was always something to do and always someone to do it with.

I cannot recommend this experience enough. To anyone even considering a semester abroad, IES Vienna offers so much, and now I wouldn't dream of trying anything else.

Living in the City of Music

As someone studying music, there is no place more prominent in the history of music than Vienna, Austria. As a student, I had the opportunity to listen to the music of Mozart, Beethoven, and Strauss in the city where it was composed. I also reached out and studied with members of the Vienna Philharmonic and performed in local orchestras. The opportunities are endless and there are tons of things that would spark anyone's interest in this magnificent city- hiking, art museums, fine cuisine, architecture, and of course, fine music which makes for the most wonderful culture that I have ever experienced. It is an extremely safe city and the IES center is located in the heart of the historic first district. Learning German and finding out how to get around are not only a part of the program, but these are skills that you will pick up regardless. The faculty is wonderful and you literally get to study in a palace. If anyone asked, I would tell them without a doubt to DO IT! Get on the plane and have the greatest adventure of your life. You will grow more than you could ever dream to!

A life changing experience you won't regret!

IES Vienna was definitely a life changing experience. Not only did I get discover Vienna and it’s surrounding countries, but I also got to learn a lot about myself. I acquired a broader perspective of life, discover new passions, and found a new place to call home. I returned back from Vienna a more confident, secure, and well rounded person than when I left, and I only have study abroad to thank for that.

A Semester in Musical Vienna

I decided to do the IES Music program in Vienna because it gave me a chance to study German, music, and political science together. IES in Vienna is a wonderful program for musicians and non-musicians alike, but I think musicians have an even better appreciation for a city so immersed in music. The city of Vienna is absolutely beautiful and just drenched in musical history. I spent many evenings standing in the golden Musikverein listening to world class orchestras play the music of the most famous composers in the world. As for the program itself, I made lifelong friends and got to know tons of talented, smart, passionate people all while exploring a city and country that are too often overlooked in favor of Paris/London/Berlin/Rome. The education, both music and otherwise, is really high-quality, and the staff of the program are incredible. I can't recommend IES Vienna enough.

Everything a musician could ask for

Making the decision to go to Vienna was a highly personal one - I wanted to be immersed in a musical culture and environment that my school could not offer me, to be interacting with fellow musicians daily and improving my own skills.

IES Vienna: Music met and exceeded my expectations, and also settled the worries I had about my living situation and adjustment to the new culture.

Living:
I lived in the 5th district with 5 other girls, all musicians, and I have to say the program did a fantastic job with placement according to interests and personalities. For me, I can say that I finally found the group of solid college girl friends that I had been looking for ever since freshman year. I was also very satisfied with the apartment. It was cozy and decorated tastefully, a little smaller than we all expected but we made it work. It was located in a very low-key part of Vienna which I was very grateful for.

Adjustment:
The adjustment process was definitely tougher than I imagined, but the kindness of the staff and the teachers on the program and also my roommates eased the process greatly. They gave me the feeling that they were always willing to talk about whatever situation I was going through, and the teachers were very understanding of any personal struggles I was going through.

Music:
And of course I've saved the best for last. The program was jam packed, especially for the music students. It was a struggle trying to balance rehearsal time, personal practice time, private lessons, and concert/opera attendance. While I did end the semester more frazzled than I would've liked to be, I still preferred this overload of musical training and experience to a workload that would be less challenging. For me the highlight was my private lessons and the accompaniment sessions that IES provided for students weekly. I loved my private teacher, and I feel I improved in leaps and bounds with her honest criticism and genuine care. I was very grateful to be able to work on my repertoire with an accompanist, and she gave very good advice concerning performance and expression. And of course, being able to go to the Musikverein for 5 euros didn't hurt the whole experience, either.

Overall, if you are a musician looking for an environment where you can have fun and thrive, you should definitely consider the IES Vienna: Music program.

The Hidden Gem of Europe

If you are a musician Vienna should most definitely be the city you choose to study abroad in. I had an absolutely incredible experience abroad and cannot wait to return. The amount of stellar performances, teachers, and performers that are easily accessible is outstanding. The IES Vienna Music Program was a great experience because after going to such a large music school (Indiana University Jacobs School of Music) the downsizing and opportunity to do small chamber work was an experience I never would have had at my home school. Also, the amount of private instruction and coaching’s are an outstanding way to improve your musicianship. Vienna is a beautiful, charming, and amazing city and is truly the hidden gem of Europe!

Vienna Music

I couldn't be happier that I decided to do this program! I was able to perform music, explore Europe, and make life-long friendships. If you are a musician who wants to study abroad, this is the program for you.

The Best Semester of my Life

I had an absolutely incredible semester through IES Abroad. Getting to live in the city of Vienna and experience the culture gave me a new perspective on both classical music and the world in general. My professors were all knowledgable and passionate about their fields, which made the learning process enjoyable and enriching. Through the composition program, I was able to compose my first work, rehearse it with excellent musicians, and hear it debut in our concert at the end of the semester, which was an absolutely amazing experience for an aspiring musician. I went on three of the four trips that IES offered, which were great opportunities to see more of Austria. The living conditions were quite good as well, and the food in the city is delicious. Furthermore, the mandatory German program was well-organized and extremely helpful for learning to successfully get around in Vienna, and we made an incredible amount of progress for people who came into the program speaking no German at all. Overall, I would definitely recommend the IES Vienna music program for anyone who wants to have an amazing and musical semester in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Viennese Living

IES Vienna allows an experience that can fit any student's style. For students that need more structure and involved encouragement, the staff is always there to help, give advice, or just hang out in Vienna with you. For students that are naturally more independent, like myself, the program allows for that as well. Living in an actual Viennese apartment, rather than some Americanized dorm, gave space for students to explore throughout the city, interact with Austrians, and develop a sense of self-sufficiency. That aspect was like a little window to one's future independent living. In the academic sense, the program is invaluable to musicians eager to expand and improve their abilities. The music courses offered are diverse and engaging with an incredible staff to work with. I personally would highly recommend participation in the Vocal or Instrumental Workshop as it is pretty much the crown jewel of the program and takes full advantage of the Viennese musical backdrop.

Music in Vienna

My experience studying music in Vienna gave me a new perspective on classical music. Living in a city with such a vibrant music community allowed me to see concerts by world class performers, including the Vienna Philharmonic. Learning about the history of the city gave context to many of the great works and composers that came out of Vienna. My IES schedule and Austria's central location in Europe allowed me to travel extensively. IES was very supportive of travel and even planned some trips for students in the program that encouraged us to explore Austria. I gained an incredible amount of independence and confidence living in a foreign country and experiences that will stick with me forever.

A Musical Semester

I had an amazing time with IES Vienna. If you're interested in a program that provides you with both excellent private instruction and collaborative performance opportunities, look no further. I'm a vocalist and I was nervous about having a new teacher, but it really couldn't have been better. My voice teacher was absolutely incredible, and in four months I made more progress than I ever thought possible. The range of material we learned, in both lessons and Performance Workshop, was vast, and while we focused a lot on German diction, we studied a lot of different time periods and composers. Taking German is mandatory with IES, which is a great way to learn about your host country, as well as learn the basics of a new language! There's also adequate time for traveling around Europe, but truly, you won't want to leave Vienna - it's one of the most amazing cities in the world.

Wish I could do it again

Having seen other study abroad programs in Vienna and having lived in Vienna without IES, I can easily say IES provides such an ideal experience and really helps students get the most out of their time in Vienna. They offer so many classes and quality classes, activities, support, anything you could want really.

No Music like in Wien!

IES Abroad Vienna’s Music program was an AMAZING experience! There is no city in the world that has classical music like Vienna: concerts and operas every night with the best performers in the world, along with student tickets and cheap standing room tickets!! The music classes offered at the center (which is in a palace!!!) were awesome and I grew so much a musician and as a singer working privately with a teacher from the prestigious Music University. Also, the most amazing student services staff that always made me feel comfortable and taken care of! Unfortunately, homestays aren’t much of an option, but I loved living with friends in apartments and learning how to live independently for the first time!!