IES Abroad Salamanca - Summer Program
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Salamanca - Summer Program

An unforgettable summer in Salamanca!

Most study abroad students choose to do a semester study abroad, but as a double major I knew that I would not be able to graduate on time and complete a study abroad- I opted for the Salamanca summer program, and I am so glad I did. I was able to pack a semester full of memories into one unforgettable summer! Through IES Abroad and the awesome staff in the Salamanca office I felt prepared and informed to make Salamanca my own, and explore the city and all that Spain had to offer. Salamanca is the perfect sized city for students who want an authentic cultural experience in an urban setting, while still having a "college town" feel. Outside of class, there are lots of things to do- such as museums, shows, parks, restaurants- and 2 main train stations stops if you want to leave for the weekend and explore Spain and more of Europe!

My favorite part of the summer was the people I met, since I stayed for both summer sessions (8 weeks). IES organized social events for us to do, and between the staff, students in my program, and international students I came out of my summer knowing I would stay in contact with many individuals long after the program was over.

IES makes it easy to get the help and support you need, but also easy to branch out and want to take on new challenges with the people you meet and make the experience your own!

A Memorable Experience

When I found out that I was accepted into IES's Salamanca Summer Program I had no idea that I was going to completely fall in love with Spain. I was lucky to find a program that really accommodated to its participants and provided us with various culturally enriching experiences. The IES staff members were so nice and comforting that my fears about being by alone in a foreign country completely melted away. The other participants and I were able to travel to Santander, Cantabria, Spain, take a salsa dancing class, enjoy tapas, and learn how to make sangria and cut ham in just a month with the IES Salamanca staff. This program's structure also provided me with great flexibility for travel. For example, I was also able to visit Madrid, Barcelona, and Lisbon, Portugal. Besides the travel component of my time abroad, I truly appreciated the material that I learned in my classes in the Universidad de Salamanca. The professors were really passionate about what they were teaching and I was able to use that information to improve my Spanish speaking skills and knowledge about the culture. Living with a host family also pushed me to be immersed in the Spanish culture because I was completely surrounded by the language, food, and customs. Like many other Salamantinos, my host mother was warm and loving and I am so grateful that IES placed me in her home. Every aspect of my trip was absolutely amazing and I now always encourage people to visit Salamanca because it is such a beautiful city with so many opportunities.

Summer in Salamanca

I studied in Salamanca, Spain through IES during their Summer Session I. This program is a month long and perfectly timed for busy students who have a rigorous class schedule during fall/spring semester and/or have other summer commitments. As a pre-med biology major, I was unable to study abroad for an entire semester. However, this summer program allowed me to greatly enrich my Spanish language skills over a shorter period of time through language immersion.
During my trip, I not only learned a ton but also had an adventure of a lifetime. From the beautiful beaches of Portugal to the majestic Alhambra in Granada to the historical streets of Salamanca (where I spent most of my time), I had an amazing time traveling and discovering the beauty and culture of Spain.
I highly recommend studying abroad through IES. They are helpful in making trips affordable through financial aid opportunities, they provide students with a safe environment to learn and amazing host families to live with, and they give students the independence to make their experience what they want it to be.

Experience of a lifetime

I was worried as a winter sport athlete that I wouldn't get to study abroad and get that experience in my life. IES Abroad gave me the opportunity of a lifetime to study over the summer so that I could still have a special experience. The administration in Salamanca are actually amazing, and each of them provides so many opportunities to immerse yourself in the language, the culture, and in just cultivating friendships. I definitely was pushed out of my comfort zone with this program because I didn't know anyone going into it, but it was so worthwhile. I met so many new people that I still talk to everyday and getting the opportunity to better my language skills has proved invaluable to my career development as well as my own personal goals. I can't think IES Abroad enough for giving me the Study abroad experience that I dreamed of.

Beautiful, Fun City

Beautiful, fun city. It is easy to stay with your group and only associate with Americans, but it is worth the effort to befriend local students. I recommend electing to live in the dorm.