IES Abroad Rome - Language & Area Studies Summer Program

Download Information

Location

Italy: Rome

Program Summary

The IES Abroad Rome Language & Area Studies Program provides you with the opportunity to begin Italian language studies or improve existing skills, while studying Art and Art History in Italy's capital. Language classes, ranging from beginner to advanced, develop your ability to communicate effectively in Italian through a focus on grammar, conversation, and composition. Specially designed area studies courses are taught in English and incorporate visits to some of Rome's most significant cultural and artistic sites into coursework.

Over the course of the semester, you will come to know Rome's lively piazzas, winding streets, and unique charm. The Rome Language & Area Studies Program offers enrollment in IES Abroad courses including a language seminar, housing in student apartments, and field trips; you will have the opportunity to meet Italian and international students alike. Starting at the IES Abroad Center beside the Tiber River across from the Castel Sant Angelo, this program will help you to ...

My time in Rome

I spent my fall semester of the year 2016 with IES Abroad Rome, and it was incredible.
There were many obstacles that I immediately encountered upon arrival. I had never travelled outside of the United States of America before, so the sense of disorientation was jarring and frightening. I was thrilled to have the opportunity, but I felt so overwhelmed that I worried I wasn't going to enjoy being abroad. Luckily, I was in the hands of a caring faculty well-accustomed to nervous students like myself. IES had a support system for me already set in place; I could talk to professors, administrative officers, and the ever-lovable ISCs (Italian-Speaking Student Companions).
The IES Abroad Rome's Program also took us on a few field trips, both around Rome and out to other Italian cities like Siena and Pompeii. While there is strengths in numbers, sometimes I wished I had gone by myself to these places - later on, during Fall Break, I did. That being said, IES works really hard to organize trips with guides and information a solo traveller wouldn't otherwise have access to. Did you know, for example, that there's a saying among the people in Siena that says the curly-haired woman is capricious? With each curl, our tour guide explained, she changes her mind. As someone with a headful of curls, I was at first offended, but then I changed my mind.
Cultural immersion is not, I've decided, something that any school or program can enforce. IES gave me all of the tools - Italian language courses, social time with the ISCs, and my homestay option. I chose to take advantage of those, even though I could have only spoken to or hung out with other American students. I had only taken two Italian language classes at my home university, and that was a year before I decided to go abroad to Rome - I basically knew nothing. Upon returning, I have since tested into a junior/senior standing translation course. That improvement is something IES and I accomplished together.

Rome sweet home

When I think back on my semester at IES Rome it feels like a dream. I would have never imagined spending 4 months living down the street from the Vatican, walking along some of Rome’s most iconic views on my way to school. The way IES is organized really made us feel like we were a part of the eternal city. Our lessons were held both in and out of the classroom. Professors taught class in museums, government buildings, villas, and many more interesting places that really gave us a new understanding of what we had read about in our textbooks. Though the program is American based the professors and staff are all Italian. Along with suggestions on what to do and where to go from professors, the center sent out weekly emails telling us about things that were happening in and around the city. After 4 months with IES I truly felt that Rome is another place I can call home!

To Rome with Love

IES Abroad inspired me to explore the Eternal City and develop my independence through weekly updates on the happenings around town and the thoughtful arrangement of my homestay. Rome has so much to offer; and IES encouraged its students to attend events in the city, visit new art exhibitions, and explore peripheral neighborhoods. My homestay experience was wonderful; I wouldn't have changed a thing. Although it is an American program, IES truly helped me immerse myself in Italian culture.

Fun experience abroad

I had a very good experience with this program. At times the administration could be a bit confusing, but it was never a major problem. The Italian Student Companion living situation is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone. They help you figure out life in the city and you have a much more culturally immersed experience.

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.