IES Abroad Nantes - French Language Immersion & Area Studies
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Nantes - French Language Immersion & Area Studies

My Semester in Nantes

I remember being terrified upon arriving in Nantes. I showed up at the program building, which I would later grow to love, and I met a host of other students, each one of us more or less quiet, just waiting for our host families to come pick us up. The first few days passed like you would expect, everyone saying their names over and over, trying to talk to as many people as possible, and sharing all kinds of information about their lives back in the US and about what their host families here in Nantes are like. IES took us on all kinds of trips, especially at the start, and little by little we became as comfortable as if we had spent years with each other. Many a conversation was had around the little table in the kitchen, or the big mass of tables in the library, and I made friends in Nantes who I still talk to and am close with despite the fact that we are now spread out all over the US and France.

My host family, especially, was one of the most impactful parts of my time in France. I was far more sad, and full of tears, on the day I left France and my host family, than on the day I said goodbye to my real family, knowing I would see them in only four short months. I was blessed in my host family to have my mom, dad, three younger sisters, a cat and a dog, and each one of them welcomed me as if I was some long-lost member of the family, coming back from a lengthy trip. I fit into their life and routine well, and I could talk to each of them about anything. IES couldn't have done a better job placing students in their host families.

The classes I took, both with IES and at the University, were challenging, but well-worth every minute. And for every difficulty there was a tutor, or a friend, or the teacher standing by to help in any way they could. And though I had my worries about being comfortable with the language before arriving, every fear was quelled within little time of arriving. There is a learning curve, and there will be adjustments, but the fact that everyone in your sphere wants to help you, coupled with the fact that simply being immersed in the language will help you to learn quicker than you ever knew, makes everything seem all the easier.

I loved my semester in Nantes more than I even realized I could before arriving there, and I wouldn't change it for anything. I came home with lifelong friends, knowledge of a beautiful culture and country that I never imagined I would understand so well, memories that will say with me as long as I am still going, and skills in a language that I will be able to use for the rest of my life.

Taught through teaching

IES gave me the opportunity to be a teacher at a local middle school in Nantes, France. Thanks to this program, I got to teach English to nearly fifty French students for a semester and explore a potential career path. This internship gave me more insight as to what I would like to do as a career through a simple four hours of teaching per week, not including lesson planning. I would not have had such an incredible opportunity without the connections and help of my IES administration team.

IES Abroad Nantes

This program is really an excellent way to experience France with full language immersion. All classes are in French and speaking in French in the center is a requirement. A large variety of classes is offered, from French cuisine to the history or France and the United Nations. The staff is fantastic and extremely helpful. The city of Nantes itself is fantastic: there's lots of things to see and do and I regret not exploring the city more. My experience with IES Abroad and in Nantes is unparalleled with any other and I'm very fortunate to have had this opportunity.

French immersion & so much more

This program advertises that you'll be immersed in French language and culture, and that is 100% true. But it's impossible to describe what all you'll get from this program. The staff at IES Nantes are completely committed to making your stay in France the best possible. Anything you are worried about, they are there for you & willing to listen. The program provides the perfect mixture of a feeling of home in a foreign country, while also challenging you to go outside of your comfort zone. Plus, there's more crêperies in Nantes than you could possibly wish for!

A year abroad

The staff and professors exceeded any expectations that I held for an abroad program. I can only ever come up with cheesy, overused adjectives to describe my experience: amazing, unbelievable, magnificent. But it was. IES is a fantastic program.

Dream in Front of My Eyes

I use the title to describe my experience in only six words. The thing is the experience really takes up more words than what I can write. The program is nicely set up, super organized, you meet other American students from different parts of the country, you actually speak French most of the time (Nantes is a city with hardly any American tourists), and your host family will give you an idea of how French culture looks in a traditional sense. IES staff is extremely helpful (I miss them so much), there are social events organized every week by the social coordinator, and there is also opportunities to take courses in the local university (which I recommend), taking a gastronomy course, and taking a teaching internship to teach English in French schools. All these opportunities are what make IES Nantes a dream come true!

The best semester of my life!

This program was absolutely amazing! My french improved immensely, I made close friends that I still keep in touch with, and fell in love with Nantes, so much so all I want to do is go back! The staff here are 100% dedicated to the students, going above and beyond to make sure each student has an excellent experience. The homestay is a great opportunity and I loved my host family. The professors are all very understanding of the language barrier that exists, but also push you to improve. The city is gorgeous and there is always something interesting going on. The social coordinator also makes sure students know when there is an event and takes them there. Overall, a fantastic program that I would recommend to anyone hoping to improve their French and wanting an unforgettable semester!

The place to go for French immersion

If you're looking to truly immerse yourself in french language and culture, this is the program for you. Nantes is the perfect city for a study abroad semester: it is large and young enough that there is always something fun to do, yet small enough to truly feel like home. The people are kind and generous and (unlike what you may find in more touristy study abroad destinations) always speak french back! The IES program itself makes sure that you have the opportunity to make the most out of your time here, with plenty of weekday city social events, weekend trips exploring the local region, and integration with french students at the local university through classes, conversation clubs, or other extracurriculars.

I loved having the option to take all my courses– even psychology– in french. If you’re pursuing an education beyond french language or the humanities, however, be forewarned that there may only be 1 or 2 class options offered at the local university. Another potential limitation is that your only housing option is a homestay, but don’t let that deter you! My host family was perhaps my favorite aspect of this program and where I learned the most. I met friends for life here– both in american and french students as well as in my host family– and am already counting down the days until I can go back!

Spending a semester in Nantes

This past fall I had the opportunity to study abroad in Nantes, France though IES abroad. The overall experience was more than I could imagine. I got to travel in and around France, as well as the rest Europe. I learned a lot about myself and my french improved immensely. I also got to meet new people and stayed with an amazing host family who made me feel welcome in their home.

All I could've asked for and more!

Nantes is the perfect city to study abroad in, and IES is the perfect program to go through. I loved Nantes because it wasn't super touristy like Paris, but it was a big enough city that there were always things to do and places to see. It was also relatively easy to travel from as it has its own airport and is a short TGV ride from Paris. I'd never even heard of Nantes before I applied to the IES Program, but it was perfect because I spent my entire semester exploring this new city, which I now call my second home. The 3 tram lines, the île, le grand éléfant, the université de Nantes, all the little cafés and restaurants in Bouffay, the chateau, the cathedral, the christmas markets (for fall semester students) - Nantes just has so much to offer. IES also gave me everything I was looking for and more in a study abroad program: the opportunity to live in a french homestay, take all my courses (which were all super interesting) in french and in a wonderful facility located 5 minutes from downtown, be in a perfectly sized program (my semester had 40 kids), attend included field trips to les Châteaux de la Loire and Tours, , travel around Europe on the weekends and over the break, and get to know local French students at the university and through conversation club at the IES Center. If any of those events sound like things you might be interested in, please, please look into applying to IES Nantes! I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone looking for a true study abroad experience in France, and would do it all over again myself in a heartbeat!

Amazing semester in Nantes

My Nantes experience far exceeded any of my expectations. The city itself is beautiful and has such great energy, and with a small anglophone presence it's the perfect place for French immersion. My French improved so much, especially through speaking with my host family, which was one of the biggest highlights for me: they were so sweet to me, made me feel welcome right away, and my host mom made such amazing food! The courses at IES were fun and engaging--I especially loved the art history course I took--and the professors were overall tuned into the level of French students had. The staff at the IES are so sweet, and the center provides a kind of home base for its students.
I also got to take classes at the university, which was challenging but really fun especially because it led to me making French friends. I met so many great people and some of my favorite memories are just exploring and hanging out in centreville with other IES students. Studying in Nantes was an amazing experience for me and I definitely found a second home there. IES and often the host families provide you with guidance, but at the same time you are independent and free to explore as you wish.

IES Nantes: a fantastic opportunity for immersion

My semester abroad in Nantes was incredible and I can't wait for the day I can go back and visit again. The IES program described itself as a full French immersion program, and that is definitely the kind of experience I received. All of my classes were in French, which forced me to become more and more familiar with the French language, culture, and history. The "French only" rule at the center helped push us out of our comfort zone and forced us to express ourselves in French, even if it meant using simplified terms or looking up words in an English-French dictionary from time to time. This program highly recommends staying with a home stay, which I also recommend. My home stay family was just a grandmother, but the time spent with her was incredibly valuable to me. We would chat about politics or cultural differences after dinner, and she would often ask me questions about English translations since she taught English lessons. My conversations with her improved my French comprehension and vocabulary immensely. The staff at the IES center were amazing. They were clearly passionate about the subjects they taught, and it was obvious that they were patient enough to try and understand our not-so-perfect French, which gave us much needed confidence. IES offers a wide range of classes, but if you're looking for something they don't offer, it is still easy to take classes at the university instead of at the center. The curriculum offered was very thorough and was probably the source of most of my improvements in the French language, in terms of increasing my vocabulary and understanding of grammatical rules. The amount of students at IRS during my semester was fairly smaller than usual, but the social life did not make it seem that way. During orientation, the staff gave us more than enough opportunities to make friends that will last beyond our stay in France. The field trips included with the program also helped create these friendships and by the end of the semester, it saddened me to see all of my classmates leave.
Overall, the IES Nantes program was fantastic and I could not think of one thing that could be improved. If you're looking for a true French immersion program, this is the only one you will need.

A wonderful 4 months

I really enjoyed my time studying in Nantes this past semester. The program staff are very helpful and welcoming and are dedicated to immersing us in the French language and culture. I loved my host family and their delicious home cooked meals, exploring Nantes (not too big a city, not too small), and making friends. I took three classes at IES and two classes at the university of Nantes and although they were not of the same academic rigor that I am used to, I improved my french a lot. I was frustrated by the amount of english that was spoken in the program center by americans on the program, so if you want a full French immersion on this program, it will take a lot of self-motivation (since you will mostly be with other Americans on a day-to-day basis). Overall, I loved my experiences, learned a lot, and will always cherish my time in Nantes.

Truly a French immersion program

My experience in Nantes, France was exactly what I was looking for from my study abroad experience. Going into studying in France, I wanted to be fully immersed in French culture and language, and that is exactly what IES allowed me to do. All of the staff were very involved and wanted to ensure that you had a good experience in all aspects; academics, social life, & home-stay. They provided the students with the tools they needed to fully immerse themselves, such as offering tutoring opportunities, baby sitting opportunities, or chances to meet local french university students. They paid extra special attention to ensuring that everyone was happy with their host family experience. The thing that I think sets this program apart is the quality of their host families. A lot of the host families have been having students for years and they treat their students more like family than just a boarder. My French dramatically improved by the end of the program, and that was thanks to living with a host family, taking all of my classes in french, and speaking in French at the IES center. If you are looking to improve your french and learn more about french culture, this is definitely the program for you!

I miss it still...

IES Nantes was the perfect program in one of the best French cities to help develop both my skill of the French language, but also my appreciation for French culture. From the get go IES staff was always there to help out with any academic issues or just normal concerns about how do I do this in France. They always knew exactly how to help each student with their problems, whether it be how do I work this phone to what should I do this weekend.
They also found the best teachers to give a variety of interesting classes, and walked people through signing up at the local French university if you wanted to do that too. Every class, from Grammar to history to Gastronomy, was taught fully in French. There was no coddling of the English at the center, which really only helped us in the end, especially in class. My practical skills and comprehension of the French language definitely improved throughout the semester, as did my appreciation for the French style of education.
My host mother, an adorable grandmother, also greatly helped me with settling into French culture. From conversing over a home-cooked meal to doing errands around the neighborhood she showed me how they French live.
The best part of the entire semester though, was Nantes itself. There is just so much you can do and explore in this city, especially with a transit pass and easily accessible public transportation. From the historic chateau/museum, to the island of machines, or even to any of the numerous gardens, Nantes has something for everyone and is an experience that will change your life.

Small town girl takes on big city France

Where do I start? First of all, I think I should comment on my French host family. I had five siblings, along with my mom and my dad. I was a bit shy at first, but having that many people in one house (and it was decently sized!) meant there was always someone for me to talk to. I felt like they were really family before the first month was even done, and I was so grateful to have that connection with them. We did a lot (and I mean a LOT) of things together, which was in part nice because they lived the farthest away from the Center. That being said, it was not at all a problem to commute to visit other friends or the Center-- the tram and bus stops were super close by! My friends at IES were very fun to hang out with, and I definitely enjoyed going to classes with them. I took all my classes at IES and found it to be very fulfilling, but I know that several of my pals also took classes both at IES and at the local university and enjoyed that, too. So just know that you have options! The professors were so cool to learn from and to talk to in general, and they often afforded me a new perspective and insight into what we were learning in class and how to translate that into the real world. I also truly enjoyed the city-- as someone who grew up in the country and then chose to attend college in a city of 10,000, I must admit that I was a little afraid of big city life at first. However, I was pleasantly surprised! Nantes was just big enough that you always felt like you were on the brink of discovering something new. Yet, it was small enough that I could still connect with people (like the owners of the boulangerie that I frequented... #yay for my sweet tooth!). Truthfully, going to Nantes with IES Abroad was a fabulous experience and one that will continue to shape the rest of my life!

Everything I was looking for in a study abroad program

I can't imagine that there exists a more perfect study abroad program than IES Nantes. From the staff, to the building, to the courses it was everything that I had hoped and more. Nantes is an absolutely amazing city, big enough that there is always something to do, but not so big that I felt like I couldn't escape from the hustle and bustle. I was looking for a city where I would be forced to use my French, and Nantes was certainly that city. Everyone was kind and patient, and most of the time I couldn't have resorted to English even if I had wanted to. The IES abroad center was also a highlight of my trip, the staff was so kind and helpful, and I didn't feel that there was a problem I couldn't take to them. There were also assistants closer to the age of the students that were available to help with academics, but also to act as friends and mentors when adapting to everyday life in France. Courses at IES were interesting and at a very appropriate difficulty level, but challenged you to continually improve. The professors were always extremely helpful and always had the best interest of the students in mind. There is also an option to take classes at the local university which is a great way to get an idea of what a French classroom is really like, and to try challenge yourself to keep up with a French professor working through material at a normal speed. The homestay experience was by far my favorite aspect of the entire program. Each family is chosen so carefully and a great deal of effort goes into matching each student with the right family. I felt so welcome in my home and my French improved tenfold because of my family. Entering the program I was looking to find a home away from home, and that is exactly was I found. Overall I would say that if you are looking for a study abroad program in France, Nantes should be at the top of the list, especially if you are looking to improve your French language abilities. I could not be more eager to recommend this program.

The perfect fit!

I had an absolutely amazing time in Nantes, France through my IES Study Abroad program. My main goal going abroad was to find a program that completely immersed me in the French language and culture. IES's program in Nantes was perfect for that! All of our classes are held in French (you are placed into a French language class of your level or test out of it if you're just that proficient). There was a great variety of courses to choose from within humanities and social sciences. You can also take classes at the local university. The courses were well instructed and well organized for the most part. The academic environment wasn't as rigorous as my home college (thankfully), which allowed for time to explore Nantes and Europe in general while still being academically challenged through the French language and new topics from a French perspective. I'm really interested in sports, and there are tons of options through the university to get involved in classes (excellent way to meet French students too!). My host family was just wonderful. They were so helpful and caring and fun. They taught me a ton about French culture, and my French language skills improved immensely just by having meals with them almost every night and just hanging out together. I would HIGHLY recommend this program to someone looking for an immersive and fun study abroad experience.

Absolutely Amazing

I had an incredible time while studying abroad at IES Nantes. It was really a magical experience. The IES staff was supportive with anything and everything that I needed and the language assistants ended up being some of my best friends. I took three classes with IES and two with the university and found that to be a perfect balance for me in terms of having classes with actual French students. IES classes are not as rigorous as I am used to, but that is not to say that I didn't learn a lot while and will take the skills and knowledge that I learned with me through my various academic endeavors and the rest of my life. My French also drastically improved, both through making French friends, and because of IES having a strict "en francais s'il vous plait" policy. It was a very encouraging atmosphere and I felt very comfortable speaking French and being taught how to speak better by making many mistakes. My host family was wonderful. They were some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, let alone living with them in their house. I was immediately welcomed into their house as if I were actually part of their family, and they were wonderful in every way possible. Not to mention, I never spoke English with them, and my French drastically improved! The nightly dinners with my host family were simply magical -- I think that this is the memory that I will cherish the most from my study abroad experience. I also loved the way that I was able to learn about the French dining experience as a cultural phenomenon through a real French family. I tried my best to participate in the many cultural activities that were going on in Nantes, but it can be a bit intimidating at times. I was also looking forward to making more French friends, and while I did make a couple, it was hard to approach them in classes. That being said, the IES assistants did an amazing job of introducing us to various events going on in the city, and I did my best to attend every single one of them, which helped a great deal. The city had so much to offer! I can honestly say that IES Nantes was the best experience of my life to date, and I am counting the days until I can go back to Nantes and live there for another extended period of time.

What a semester...

There are only two words I can think of to describe my semester abroad in Nantes: absolutely wonderful. My main reason for selecting this program is that I wanted to immerse myself in the French language and improve my speaking skills as much as possible. From the website and what I'd heard from friends, the Nantes program seemed quite immersive and had everything I was looking for: a homestay component, courses taught in French and the option of taking courses at the local university. I learned so much while I was abroad. My French improved drastically, and I now have a lot more confidence in my own abilities. Since returning I've read entire books in French, and I can even watch Netflix shows in French as well (without subtitles). I would highly recommend this program to anyone who wants a truly difficult but rewarding language immersion program.

If you're considering France, you should be considering Nantes.

IES Abroad changed my life. If you've read and other reviews of this program, you know that there is no better program for French immersion. Between the IES Nantes staff, the professors, the home stay families, and the friendly people of the city, if you're looking for the opportunity to improve your French in 4 or 8 months, this is definitely the place to do it. But this program is about so much more than immersion. It's about spending Sunday's eating a leisurely lunch in the garden, it's about weekend trips to the coast with your host family, it's about afternoon walks along the Erdre, it's about sharing a baguette with your friends on the Cour Cambronne, or enjoying a monaco and some alternative music at the Lieu Unique. There's so much to discover about yourself and Nantes through this program. I highly recommend IES Abroad Nantes if you're looking to truly experience all France and it's people have to offer.

Amazing program, life changing experience

Choosing to participate in the IES Nantes Study Away program was hands down the best decision of my college career. Not only did I grow as an individual, but I grew to appreciate a different culture and language by experiencing and truly living it. The program staff are all amazing, ready to help with any request, big or small. Yet, the most amazing aspect of this program is the homestay program. My host family truly became my family and it took me not even two weeks to start referring to my house in Nantes as 'home'. My experience in Nantes would not have been as positive and life changing without the homestay experience. I would tell any student even questioning about studying away to do it without another hesitation, it changed my life!

An Incredible Semester!

The IES Nantes program is perfect for someone wanting to become immersed in the French language and culture! I loved living in the city of Nantes. It was the perfect size with plenty of things to do and quickly felt like home. It is also a very walkable city. The home stay was one of my favorite aspects of the program and was definitely where I made the greatest strides in my language skills. I felt that the classes were very manageable and enjoyed the opportunity to take a class at the local university. I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in improving their French!

Second Home in France

Before I arrived in Nantes, I was not at all confident of my ability to speak French. However, after arriving, I soon forgot about my worries. The IES center in Nantes is well-equipped and made all of us arriving students feel very welcome, as did my host family. The program is conducted entirely in French and students are supposed to speak French at all times (we did speak English a lot, but for the first couple weeks we stayed largely with French and we all improved as a result). Then there was so much to discover and do in Nantes itself, plus the trips that come as part of the program which were all very fun. My favorite was the organized trip to Normandy.

Nantes is a charming city with plenty to do and excellent public transport for getting around. It is smaller and easier to cope with than Paris, which made it a less jarring transition. I would love to go back, it is surprising how much Nantes felt like home after only a few months. The worst part about the program is that just as you really start to feel entirely at home you have to go back.

Wonderful experience!

When looking for a study abroad program in a French speaking country, I wanted to have a strong academic program, full cultural immersion, and a teaching internship. I was happy to find everything I wanted in the IES Study Abroad program in Nantes. Besides all these three that I was looking for, Nantes is a smaller city than Paris but still has enough to do during the semester. It was a perfect city for study abroad, definitely a plus for me.