IES Abroad Milan - Business Studies
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Milan - Business Studies

IES is the Best!

IES Milan Business Studies was such a great program! I took interesting classes with phenomenal professors, lived in one of the nicest neighborhoods and apartments in Milan, and had the time of my life. The staff was always available to help me with whatever I needed and I became great friends with the Italian student (known as the CA) who I lived with. I would pick this program again if I had the chance. You won't regret it!

My experience abroad :)

IES had exceeded all of my abroad expectations, coming into a country I had never been to nor spoke the language, it's safe to say I was pretty nervous but IES made the immersion very easy. One of the best parts was living with an Italian student because they give you such a unique perspective of the Italian culture. Beyond living in Italy, IES set up so many different activities that anyone can participate in to get to know Milan better. On top of that, they also planned two incredible trips to Sicily and Tuscany and showed us around places we never would've visited on our own. The entire experience would not have been the same had I not had any of these experiences that IES gave to us and as a program they really enhanced my study abroad experience.

IES Abroad Milan

I came into the Milan Business studies program already having 2 years of Italian language and an Italian studies minor. Through my 4 months in Italy, I lived with an Italian family, took classes in Italian language, cooking, and design, traveled to 12 Italian cities as far south as Rome, and spoke Italian exclusively outside of the IES Center. Like most other study abroad programs, IES classes are mostly in English, and you take classes with American students. They offer cultural events, Italo-centric courses, and trips to Italian cities like Sirmione, Pisa, and Siena. These trips were a great way to meet other people in the program. I would say, however, that as somebody truly looking to go one step deeper to engage with the Italian culture and life, I had to make my own efforts to spend time with the people of the city.

IES was VERY well structured and had the resources in terms of administration, health, and contacts that helped me feel like everything was taken care of, and I just needed to enjoy my time abroad. One of the best functions of the program was leaving Fridays off so that as students, we could travel. I was fortunate to travel out of the country 5 times because of this, including Barcelona, London, Amsterdam, and Paris. My favorite course, I must admit, was Italian cooking. I learned how to cook italian foods hands-on, as well as the history of food and drink in Italy.

IES Milan - Full Year Abroad

My year long experience in Milan was life-changing to say the least. I am so grateful to have picked this program because I was able to explore my passions of photography and fashion which allowed me to continue to develop my fashion blog (www.anewerkatintown.com), become immersed in the Italian language, and have the opportunity to take classes at a world ranked school, Bocconi University. I also loved the cultural immersion aspect that the program provided by scheduling trips to museums, exhibits, and restaurants. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in studying business in Italy, and having a diverse and unique experience!

A Life Changing Experience

My semester abroad changed my life. I learned so much about myself, I discovered strengths I didn't know I had, I became nearly fluent in Italy, and had the most fun of my entire life traveling around Italy and Europe. For the rest of my life, I am no longer afraid to go to new places, try new things, and take on intimidating opportunities; in fact, I need to. My semester abroad was the happiest time of my entire life. As I am going into my senior year in college, I am planning on applying for my Italian citizenship and moving to Italy after I graduate.

Within IES Milan, I had amazing teachers. They were all italian natives, and provided new viewpoints and insights. They were always willing to help, they were always available through email, and willing to meet outside of class. The IES staff members prepped us thoroughly for the culture difference through interesting presentations, discussion, and experience. I went on two overnight field trips to Tuscany and to Sicily with IES and they were so much fun. I cannot even put into words how much this organization means to me! It will be near and dear to my heart forever.

Amazing Milan experience provided by IES

I loved living in Milan and taking classes through IES. The staff at IES in Milan cares so deeply about their students and the cultural experiences we have during our time spent in Italy. They organize amazing trips to different parts of Italy and send out weekly suggested activities for those staying in Milan every weekend. The teachers want to see you succeed and they respect that students are also traveling on weekends. I lived with a host family and loved it. They were caring and sweet and respected my space.

Time flies, but not memories

My adventure began 7 months ago, when I studied abroad in Milan in Fall 2016. Studying abroad taught me that comfort and happiness are not always synonymous. Some of my best memories are the moments in which I found myself further away from comfort than I’d ever been before. This entailed getting lost in new cities (i.e. Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Dublin, just to name a few), encountering people from all walks of life, and managing a budget. I know that no matter how hard I try, the stories that I tell and the pictures that I show will never do justice to the unparalleled experience of studying abroad. I’ve made friendships that I will forever cherish and learned to always feed my curiosity. I genuinely recommend anyone and everyone to jump at the opportunity to study abroad.

Milan study abroad, 2016

My abroad experience taught me a great deal about myself, and I felt that after my experiences traveling and experiencing the life of an Italian, I have greater confidence and a greater sense of drive in my life. IES was very well organized and did a good job organizing events for us to meet other students and to travel. They did a great job placing me with a homestay family, which was an incredible cultural experience. I am planning to return to Milan this summer. :)

The best 4 months of my life

Milan was incredible. IES was totally welcoming and helpful. I felt at home immediately. I highly recommend doing a homestay program, because mine was AMAZING. I became so close to them (two adults, and four young boys) that they even traveled to the states to stay with my family for Christmas!

Milan social scene was also awesome. The people are so friendly, and you make a ton of friends through IES!

IES Abroad Milano: Apartment Life

In my opinion, one of the best things about my study abroad experience in Milan were the apartments that IES provided us with. I lived in a beautiful apartment in the Brera district with 4 other American students and our wonderful CA (cultural adviser, an Italian student who worked for IES and lived with us). The apartment was much larger than I expected, clean, and had a great view of the restaurant strip out the kitchen window, where I used to sit and people watch in the evenings. I didn't realize at first how lucky I was to live in a district where most native Italians can't afford to live; I have no idea how IES managed to snag my apartment.

The one negative side to apartment life is that you're not constantly exposed to native Italian speakers like you are in a homestay. If your main goal is to increase your fluency, it may not be best to live with other Americans. I, however, had a very minimal background in Italian before moving to Milan so it was perfect with me. I could speak in English with my roommates and practice Italian with my CA.

My Italian lifestyle

I loved my experience in Milan, Italy all around. I really enjoyed being immersed in such a new culture and learning the language and traditions. I thought the IES Abroad Italian classes and teachers were amazing and I would have loved to continue my Italian studies back in the states if it were possible! Also, I had a great experience living with an Italian family. I felt like I really got to see what their lifestyle looked like and I definitely learned a lot from my homestay mom, Stefani. I could not have asked for more from the IES program! It was such an amazing experience that I will remember forever!

Spero di vederti presto, Milano!

My study abroad experience in Milan through IES Abroad was fantastic. Through the application process to the very end, I couldn't have asked for a better semester. I can confidently say studying abroad changed me as a person (for the better). I have a different outlook on life after traveling throughout Italy and Europe, and I have become far more independent. My goals before studying abroad were to make friends with Italian students and learn to speak the language. I had taken 4 semesters of Italian before studying abroad, however my Italian greatly improved through my Advanced Italian class. I felt comfortable getting around and speaking the language each day. I thoroughly enjoyed my classes (especially my cooking class) and the administration felt like family. Living in an apartment with an Italian student and other American students was a great experience. IES provided the students with nice and safe apartments. The nightlife in Milan is second to none and it was a hidden gem. Take advantage of the lively nightlife and unique outings Milan has to offer.

My biggest regret is not having studied abroad for a year. A semester did not feel long enough. I highly recommend this program to any student who is considering studying abroad in Italy. I had my eye on other cities in Italy when choosing a program, but Milan far exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, there are far less American study abroad students in Milan than in Florence and Rome. Before studying abroad, I thought that I would stay in Boston and get a job after graduation, however now I'm looking into grad schools and research programs in Italy. The sky is the limit!

Italian adventure

I had the most incredible time abroad. Naturally I had some reservations and fears about going on a program where I didn't know anyone prior to the program. That, on top of the fact that this would be my first time in Europe made me pretty nervous to see what the next five months would have in store for me. Shortly after arriving in Milan, I realized I had nothing at all to be worried about. IES abroad made transportation from the airport to my new apartment very smooth, with an IES representative waiting for me at the airport, ready to help. The IES assistance number was extremely helpful if I needed help or had any last minute questions. The orientation we went through helped us meet others in our program, kept us busy enough to not think about jet lag, and introduced us into the Italian lifestyle.

I lived with 5 people (4 Americans and one Italian student who served as our "Community Assistant" or CA). I realized all 5 of us were as different as could be and it made for the best experience possible. We were all diverse in our own ways which made us learn and grow from each other and allowed for an environment in which all of us felt completely comfortable and ourselves. IES abroad did a great job with choosing housing for us based on our living preferences that we described in the housing survey. Everyone on our program became pretty good friends, and I can truthfully say my study abroad friends are now my lifelong friends.

Classes through IES were fun and allowed for stimulating conversation and learning in the classroom. I was able to take fun and interesting classes, like communication and psychology, which I wouldn't have had room for in my schedule back at my school in America. I took very exciting field trips to news stations, saw a live news recording, and went to an Italian prison. I became extremely close with my three professors, who genuinely cared about their students. The course I took at Bocconi, an Italian University, proved to be extremely difficult, but my hard work paid off. Having no classes on Fridays made it super easy to travel on weekends.

If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing. I had the best time, saw places in Europe I've wanted to see my whole life, and met lifelong friends.

My IES Milan experience

My IES abroad experience is one I will never forget. The IES Milan School has a great program for students who also want to take classes at Italian universities. I also took classes at Bocconi, the business school in Milan. This school was a challenge, but I loved being at university with students from Italy as well as other countries around the world. Though IES Milan I was able to take language classes as well as classes at Bocconi, which was something that was important to me as I studied abroad.
I also chose to stay with a family. IES Milan does an amazing job of housing you with families that are so welcoming. In my homestay I had 4 sisters who were a variety of different ages. They also pair you with students in an apartment that allows you to meet students that go to IES as well.
The city of Milan is one of my favorite cities in Italy. There truly is everything. It has amazing food, a great history, and of course lots of shopping. Another benefit of choosing Milan is that is it very easy to get almost anywhere. There are three airports as well has a multitude of high speed trains. I loved my study abroad experience in Milan and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to study abroad in Italy.

Unreal 4 months

Before I left, I was terrified of going away for 4 months. I was nervous about leaving for college let along a foreign country where I knew no one. Everyone asked me before I left if I was excited to go. And honestly I wasn't. I was dreading it. The only reason I signed up to study abroad was because I felt I had to. It was the thing to do. My sister did it, her friends did it, and 50% of everyone I knew did.
Once I got to Milan, I was already more comfortable. After an overwhelming dinner meeting everyone in the program and a few days of orientation, I was already planning my first weekend trip. That is why most people go abroad isn't it?
15 weeks later, 14 cities in 10 countries, I look back and cannot believe I almost didn't go! The people were amazing, food was amazing, and it could not have been a better 4 months!
Classes were good, not too hard compared to the US, just structured differently. There are no textbooks, and the way in which courses were taught was different.
I felt comfortable navigating the streets and metro alone and even at night.
I made countless new friends across the US and across the world. From not wanting to go, to wanting to stay longer, IES made what could have been a miserable four months, some of the best months of my life. I gained confidence in myself and my abilities, got into a few sketchy situations but was able to navigate out of them. Spent a ridiculous amount of money on amazing food and travel, but wouldn't change any of what I did.

Best time of my lIfe

Going into my semester abroad I had no idea what to expect. It was my first time going to Europe, I didn't know anyone in my program, and I didn't speak any Italian. However, I came out of it with incredible memories and I have grown so much as a person from my experience.

IES offers a wide variety of classes that give students plenty of options to take classes both within their given major as well as classes that teach about the culture and history of Italy. It was a perfect balance! IES also provided many opportunities to travel to new locations and to attend events locally in Milan. It was so easy to meet the other students within the program, and the community assistants were so kind and helpful - especially in the beginning when I had no clue what I was doing!

I made lots of amazing friends, ate wonderful food, and traveled to beautiful places. I highly recommend that everyone break out of their comfort zone while abroad and try new things! Going abroad in Milan with IES was one of the best decisions of my life.

Incredible semester abroad

My study abroad experience with IES Milan was nothing short of incredible. The program staff was filled with generous, kind and knowledgable people who were there to support me in my experience from the moment I landed in MXP until I departed in May. I lived in an apartment with four other girls from the US and my Community Assistant, Ilenia. Ilenia welcomed us with warm hugs, cookies, and a jar of Nutella, eager to show us around the city and befriend us. I was nervous the first few days about making friends and living a country where I had no prior knowledge of the language, but by the end of the first week I was already planning my first trip with a group of friends to Florence. The orientation events put on by IES really did help me meet a bunch of the students in the program and get me excited about the semester to come.
Over the course of the semester I learned a ton about the Italian culture: how to correctly pronounce "grazie", where to find the best aperitivo, and when and when not to order a cappuccino. I enrolled in two Italian classes in which I was able to develop my language skills. I also had the opportunity to take a business fashion class where I was able to combine my major study with a passion of mine in one of Europe's most renown fashion capitals. Thanks to one of the Community Assistants I befriended, I was even able to attend a fashion show during Milan Women's Fashion Week.
Many weekends of mine were spent in Milan exploring different corners of the city. My friends and I became regulars at a particular pizzeria and spent the warmer afternoons picnicking in the local parks. Our other weekends and breaks were spent traveling Europe where I was able to meet up with friends from my home university as well make new friends in foreign places. My favorite trip was pretty adventurous. Eight of us decided to spend our week of spring break in Morocco. Traveling to the different major cities and exploring the northern African country was one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. Towards the end of the semester IES hosted a trip to Parma, Italy, where students were able to tour a parmesan cheese factory, a balsamic vinegar factory, and a historic violin museum. Because this trip was at the end of the semester and most students enrolled in the program attended, it was a great way to bring everyone together again and wrap up the incredible semester.
While the fancy trips and delicious meals are some of my favorite memories from my study abroad experience, the best part of Milan was the people I met. I made lifetime friends during my semester abroad, people I know that will be in my life forever. Saying goodbye to all of those friendly faces at the end of the semester was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Luckily since returning to America, I have already had the opportunity to reunite with a few of them and plans are in the works to have a full blown IES Milan reunion in the future. Milan will always hold a special place in my heart and forever be one of my favorite cities in the world. The beauty of the Duomo is something that never grows old or wears away. I hope more than anything I can return to Milan in the near future.

A Fantastic experience

My time spent studying abroad in Milan with IES was definitely something I will remember for the rest of my life. Everything about the program was phenomenal, from housing, to academics, the various trips, and ultimately the staff who work there. I made several friends that I can easily say I'll be in touch with for life and I look forward to going back and seeing them and the rest of those involved with the program.

Rocambolesco

IES Abroad Milano was an incredible experience. I traveled to 18 countries and 54 cities during my 5 months abroad in the spring of 2016. I developed incredible relationships with the staff, my roommates, fellow students in my program, and local Milanese. I learned a great deal about the incredibly diverse world we live in and how blessed I was to be afforded such an incredible opportunity. I highly recommend IES Abroad as a program due to the incredible flexibility that the program provides you to enjoy your own unique time abroad and cannot speak highly enough of Milan as a host city.

Not all that I imagined it to be, but a lot more valuable than I ever expected

My study abroad experience was bittersweet. I had amazing moments and it was an opportunity I am so grateful that I was able to have. But I also encountered a lot more struggles than I anticipated, which made the experience a challenge. To start with the positives, I loved my program. The center was great and the IES staff was wonderful. They were all fun and personable, and made the experience easier. I loved my classes and professors. I learned a lot, but I like that they weren't too challenging. It made the academics side of the experience less stressful. I loved the city I was in and it was amazing to be able to travel. My apartment was beautiful and in an incredible location. I was so lucky to live where I did. There were so many wonderful moments during my abroad experience, and I wish I could experience them again. While there were great times, there was also some hardship. I didn't make many close connections with the people in my program, which made it a little lonely at times. I was on a budget, so I couldn't travel as much as I wanted to. I wish I had an opportunity to meet more locals, but it was difficult since my program was for Americans and because there was a language barrier. Despite all of this, I wouldn't have changed my time abroad. Though not every single memory is 100% happy, I gained so much more from this than I could have imagined. I lived on my own in a new place and I learned how to integrate into a culture. I learned a lot about myself as a person, and what is important to me. I saw incredible sites and experienced amazing things that I will remember for the rest of my life. Study Abroad is such a unique opportunity and I am so glad that I took that chance.

Milano 2015

Now that I am back from my semester in Milan, I can't believe I ever considered not studying abroad. The fourth months I spent in Milan, the fashion and business capital of Italy, were the best months of my life. I've been studying Italian since I was in high school, so being able to spend a semester in Italy was an incredible experience for me. Beyond this, although most of my close friends were American, I had a great group that I could count on to explore Milan with me on weekdays and travel with me on weekends.

Milan itself is a great place to study abroad. It's not as touristy as other Italian cities and it has so much to offer. A prime location for those interested in traveling Europe and also a city where history, art, and modern business meet. If you are a business major and are interested in Italian culture, I highly recommend IES Abroad's Business Studies Program.

Drink your coffee and explore

After one semester Milan easily became my favorite city. From its busy, vibrant streets during the day to the glitz and glam of the fantastic nightlife Milan definitely has it all. There are a lot of colleges in Milan that draw in students from around the world, not to mention all of the study abroad students that call Milan home, and you have a big city with a large number of college aged people, it is the best of both worlds.

Living in Milan as a student is quite easy. My homestay apartment was beautiful and it was easy for me to move around the city thanks to the cheap, effective public transit that the city offers. This allowed me to explore so many parts of the city that I would have never gone to if not for the great access of public transportation.

If you can handle the hustle and bustle of the big city and enjoy exploring you will fit right in and be welcomed into the community that I call my home away from home.

Amazing Experience!

I absolutely loved my time in Milan. It was amazing to study in one of the most underrated cities in Europe. It's not as touristy, but just as refined as any large city in Italy. Milan truly has it all; our apartment was in an awesome location, the metro system was extremely convenient and the city has so many corners open to exploration. I would recommend studying in Milan to anyone looking to study abroad, especially through IES. I had very little exposure to Italian as a language before coming and I very quickly broke that barrier, and felt as comfortable as ever in the country.

Couldn't Ask for Anything More

My experience through IES Abroad Milan Business studies was to say the very least incredible. The city of Milan is beautiful with a great balance of history as well as modernization. The IES Abroad Milan staff was extremely helpful in all aspects: they answered every question I had promptly, gave great suggestions regarding travel ideas and must-see sites, and were very nice. The academics were perfect for studying abroad: while not as rigorous as my home school academics, they were challenging enough to learn a great amount, but did not interfere with my cultural immersion. Classes offered were wide-ranging and there was a mandatory Italian class (I had no Italian language background coming in, and learned a lot after my 3.5 month stay). My living environment was great, as I shared an apartment with 5 other guys who I became very good friends with (I didn't know anyone going to Milan); we ate meals together, hung out, and travelled together. My community assistant (CA) was great too, as he wasn't too overbearing, but kept us safe and answered all the questions we had. There is a lot to do in the city of Milan, everything from seeing beautiful museums, to going to soccer matches, you never get bored. What I loved about Milan was that it wasn't very touristy, you're not surrounded by a lot of other Americans and don't hear many people speaking English when walking down the street, which added so much to my cultural immersion. The 3.5 months I spent studying in Milan through IES Abroad was the best experience of my life, and I wish I could go back!

The Facebook Photos were only the Beginning

My study abroad experience was not what I expected. It was one of my hardest semesters in college and taught me more in and out of the classroom than I could have experienced at IU alone. After missing my connecting flight to Milan, the staff helped guide me through the Madrid airport and still met me at the Milan airport, hours after I was scheduled to arrive. From there we had an immersive welcome week and were handed resources right and left to experience all parts of the culture. Weekly, the staff planned various events around the city; everything from concerts to aperitivos (happy hours), to ski trips and nights at La Scala (world’s most famous opera house).
But the semester was a challenge. I worked an internship where I worked 20 hours a week and took 15 credit hours. I traveled almost every weekend to other countries and unfortunately became sick a number of times. However, the staff was always there to help. Professors held office hours often, and the internship coordinator helped me understand the interview style in Italy vs the U.S. The semester was a balancing act, and taught me even more about time management and prioritization.
The only complaint I have about the semester was my roommate situation. I was paired with party girls whose grades did not transfer and had daddy’s credit card in their pocket. They held different values and made coming home to the apartment a prison sentence. However, from speaking with my friends throughout the program, my situation was unique. In addition, each of the homestays reported stellar experiences.
I loved this program because it challenged me, I improved my language skills, met new people, traveled all of Europe, and made friends from all over the US and Italy.