IES Abroad Madrid - Language Area Studies Semester/Year

Download Information

Location

Spain

Program Summary

The IES Abroad Madrid Program is designed for those who want to experience the vitality of Spain! Live in its capital city and through course enrollment at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM), one of the country's most distinguished universities.

Students enroll in Spanish language courses as well as courses in their academic major. Field study trips are organized to compliment specific areas of study such as visits to television stations for Broadcasting majors or visits to congress for Political Science majors.

Four semesters of college level Spanish are required to be admitted to this program. Madrid is an ideal place to connect university studies to the city's business, culture, and politics. The IES Center is located on the UCM campus for students use and as a resource for any questions or concerns during the program.

My semester as a Madrileña...

I recently studied abroad in Madrid, Spain through IES Abroad, and the most wonderful, culturally-immersive experience of my life! In my program, I chose to live in a colegio mayor, or a Spanish dorm, which allowed me to not only meet students from all over Spain, but also from the all over the world! I met friends from Panama, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Czech Republic and more! I truly believe that living inside of the dorm was the best option that I possibly could have made, as it allowed me to learn about other cultures and gain insight as to how other people live. I loved that I was challenged academically in my program, as all of my courses were taught in Spanish, which allowed me grow and improve my Spanish-speaking competencies. The IES study center also put on so many different cultural events and activities for the students to further get immersed into the culture and local community: I did a month long Flamenco workshop, I went to a Flamenco Show, I learned how to make classic Spanish dishes at a cooking lesson, and so much more! I loved the location of the study center, in the heart of Madrid, and absolutely loved adapting into society as an honorary member of the city; eating tapas, taking the metro (and mastering it), and going to parks and museums in my free time. Madrid was my home for 3.5 months, and it was the best abroad experience I could have ever imagined!

Ya soy una madrileña (I'm a Madrileña now)

After one semester in Madrid, it'll feel like you have another hometown. Between cultural exchanges with local students, living with host families or native compañeros, and class options designed to immerse you in the culture, studying abroad with IES will lead you on an unforgettable adventure through this amazing capital city. I had opportunities to take unique courses such as History of Madrid and an art class taught in the Prado that were incredibly valuable for understanding the city that I called home for a semester. The staff at IES was always eager and available to help improve my experience in any way possible, my host mom assured I never went hungry (and I mean *never*), and I met a lifelong group of friends in the process. Take advantage of all that IES has to offer, and don't miss out on the excursions. Incredible guides joined us on trips to various locations in Spain, and we gained an appreciation for the diverse offerings of the country. And as one IES adviser pointed out when we tried to say that we were from the US: "sois madrileños", we'd been living in Madrid long enough to claim it as part of our new identity.

Taking books to the street: how a city taught me Spanish

Through my cultural Spanish class that all students in the program are required to take, and you test into a specific level, I was able to learn so much about Spanish lifestyle and the do's and don'ts.Then, I would spend my afternoons (I never had class after lunch) wandering the city and putting what I learned in class to good use. It is the perfect program to completely immerse yourself in the Spanish language. I developed my conversational Spanish so much with my host family, and I learned a lot more of the differences between Latin American and Spain Spanish. It was an amazing experience.

La patria

Studying in Madrid through IES was the best 4 months of my life. IES provides students with many options in all areas: hospitality, academics, and culture. The semester was riddled with explorative group trips that really allowed me to become close with my peers, and learn about the lesser known parts of the country. The academics were intensive enough to allow me to improve and practice my Spanish; however, they were not unnecessarily rigorous. IES really established a system where I felt that I was able to fully immerse myself to the Madrid lifestyle as much as I wanted. I met my current best friends, I meandered around Europe, and I fell in love with all things Spanish. I am hit with a wave of nostalgia every day that I am not able to sip on a cafe con leche paired with the ever so consistently delicious tortilla española. IES Madrid does it right.

Was I living in a dream?

For anyone even slightly considering studying abroad, DO IT! Do not miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity. And for those considering studying abroad in the IES Madrid Program, I HIGHLY recommend it! I have never been surrounded by so many eager and supportive staff members. The IES Madrid staff is determined to provide you with a safe, enjoyable, and learning filled experience. There are also many interesting classes which teach you about the culture of Madrid and Spain as a whole while enhancing your Spanish skills. IES Madrid takes you on field trips throughout your time abroad that are very informative and a great way to get to know all of the other students and staff in the program. I have nothing negative to say about my experience studying abroad through IES Madrid.

The Abroad Experience that Changed My Life

While enrolled in this program I enjoyed my abroad experience a lot. I enjoyed this program specifically because it allowed me to get a feel for what it feels like to truly live in Spain because the program supervision was not overbearing, but there were enough activities that allowed me to feel a great sense of community. My only critique for the program was that students were rarely allowed to live outside of IES housing, which (in my opinion) did not provide the best option for cultural immersion. Overall, this is a great program for students to have low-academic rigor in order to fully enjoy their abroad experience.

Amazing Experience! 10/10 Recommend!

IES Abroad Madrid was AMAZING! I learned so much while I was in Madrid and wouldn't trade that experience for anything. Because Madrid is so centralized, I was able to travel to a plethora of cities within Spain and experience other countries outside of Spain as well. There is a wide variety of classes offered and lots of activities to participate in with the university. Plus, my homestay experience was incredible - I still talk to my host mom a couple of times each month!

The Best Days

This program was the best 4 months of my life. The staff at IES was incredibly helpful and hands on in every capacity. From academics, to travel and safety, they had amazing resources and advice that was genuinely helpful. The courses were relatively easy (language barrier was an issue at times) but the professors are helpful and want you to do well. Madrid is an incredible city that is filled with beautiful parks, wonderful museums and amazing food. You will never be bored while you are here.

Un Semestre Genial (A Great Semester)

Studying abroad in Madrid was a fantastic experience. The city itself is ideal for college students; Madrid is an exciting city, yet it is approachable and warm. It has the added bonus of being so near an airport, for those who hope to travel other places during their semester! There are tons of opportunities for cultural immersion beyond the IES program, such as language intercambio nights at bars. However, IES does an amazing job providing opportunities for travel and cultural activities. You can learn to dance flamenco, meet with an assigned native speaker over tapas to practice Spanish, learn how to cook tortilla española, and so much more. I cannot recommend Madrid enough, and the staff at IES are truly wonderful; they genuinely care about your abroad experience.

Diverse opportunities in Madrid

IES Madrid offers different opportunities to be immersed in the Spanish culture. It is great to be able to have the option to enroll in courses in UCM. These courses help immerse students in American universities into the Spanish university system. Also, there is a variety of living options, which is great for choosing which experience that you would like to have. This is a great program to be immersed into Spanish culture with different options for each student.

I double dog dare you...

I can safely start out by saying that my semester abroad in Madrid, Spain was increíble! There’s nothing NOT to love about the culture, people, food, and nightlife, but what really stood out was my program, IES. I immediately felt comfortable in this new city due to the immersion aspect IES stresses during the first week including tours by local university students, and informative handbook full of Do’s and Don’ts, and welcoming staff. I was placed in the most accommodating homestay where I felt right at home in this bustling city and my Spanish fluency only got better as time went on due to the interesting course offerings all in the native language. I dare you not to love this program!

Amazing semester in Madrid!!

I spent the Fall of 2016 in Madrid, Spain with IES abroad and it was absolutely amazing! I don't think one could find/form a better administrative group than what IES has in Madrid, and the city itself is absolutely incredible!! The classes are not terribly demanding, most of the professors/staff understand the importance of out-of-class learning and do not make their expectations too high. IES is very helpful and they do everything they can to enrich your experience (they offer free weekend excursions throughout the semester!). Cannot recommend enough!!

Study abroad in Madrid

There are three elements that contributed the most to my study abroad experience; the academics, housing, and cultural experience.

Academics: I was really impressed with the classes at IES. They offered a diverse selection and the topics were very interesting. I found the professors engaging and they clearly understood the needs of the students. It was slightly more work than I was expecting but worthwhile in the long run. I wasn't very happy with my UCM class in the end. It was more of a challenge than I anticipated and I didn't have the time or discipline to seek out the resources available. I was hoping it would be a good place to meet local Spanish students but because of the way the classes are structured in Spain it wasn't possible.

Housing: I highly recommend the homestay option. If you are serious about learning the language there is no better way than living with someone. Its a really well organized and thorough system so you will be happy with the experience. The other options require more independence and effort on your part if you want to really immerse yourself in Spanish culture, but they are still great options. I lived in the dorm rooms for a short period of time at the end of the trip and it was a great experience.

Cultural Experience: After my study abroad experience I can officially say that Madrid is one of my favorite cities in the world. There is so much culture there. The nightlife is by far the highlight. And I'm not even referring to the clubbing experience. The restaurants, bars and plazas come alive at night and being a part of that was my favorite aspect of studying abroad. Madrid is also an extremely convenient city if you're looking to travel a lot while studying abroad. There are many easy ways to get to the airport and the flights are relatively cheap.

I cannot say enough good things about this program. It made my semester abroad the great experience that it was!

Unforgettable Madrid

Above all else, Madrid was truly a cultural blow. When I first arrived I was no stranger to museums, concerts and other types of cultural events—ever since I was a little girl I’ve loved these type of activities—but none of this compares to the magnitude and quality of what I discovered in Spain. Besides spending hours inside every museum I could possibly get into, I loved to walk around the city because I felt I was constantly surrounded by history. The more I was exposed to culture, the more I wanted to learn about it; by getting to know Madrid through its art and history I truly feel I got to know more about Spain. IES did a marvelous job of encouraging and guiding me through these discoveries; the Staff is incredibly helpful and friendly and they put a lot of effort in organizing trips and activities that allow students to fully immerse themselves into Spanish culture. Whenever we visited any sites outside Madrid we had knowledgeable and engaging guides that showed us all the neat parts of each city. These trips were always very well organized, and although the Staff members made sure to keep us safe, they were also flexible when we wanted to explore the city by ourselves. I also love that IES offers so many different classes about Spanish history and art—whenever we made one of these trips I couldn’t help feeling like I was actually experiencing what I had learned in class.

Madrid is beautiful in so many different ways that it is difficult to decide what part of my study abroad experience is the one I loved most, but I can say that the cultural exposure I received there is something that I will never forget and that will stay with me forever. If what you want is an incredible and fun opportunity to truly get to know Spanish culture, Madrid is definitely for you!

An unforgettable semester full of learning and cultural experiences

My semester in Madrid with IESAbroad was truly amazing. IES worked to organize field trips, cooking classes and flamenco classes, as well as set students up with language exchange buddies, all of which were amazing learning opportunities. My professors were all interesting and highly qualified, making my classes challenging yet enjoyable. I particularly loved my class at the Prado Museum, in which my professor was a curator at the museum. He was full of knowledge about the art, and eager to share his love of art with us! I also loved that we got to take a class at the local university, Universidad de Complutense. It made my experience much more immersive culturally, and I would recommend taking at least one local class to anyone who has a high enough level of Spanish. Another great aspect of the program was the administrative staff, who went out of their way to make the experience great for the students. One staff member walked me to site where I was volunteering so that she could help me find it and get started there. Overall, a great experience! I'm jealous of everyone who still has this experience ahead of them!

Exploring Madrid

After this past semester abroad, I can say with confidence that studying abroad is something I recommend everyone does. I was able to improve my Spanish, learn about a new culture, and get to know new people from Spain as well as from other universities in the United States.

One of my favorite things about my program was the ability to live with a host family. This was something I was extremely nervous about going into my program, but ended up being one of my best experiences in Spain. Living with a Spanish family helped me grow confident in my Spanish-speaking abilities and really taught me a lot about the Spanish people. My host mother treated my roommate and I like her own children and I really felt like I had a support system in Madrid.

Through the IES program I was able to learn about the history and magic of Madrid. The program offered many opportunities to be active in the community, visit the most famous sites and interact with the Spanish people. The staff in Madrid were incredibly warm and welcoming and were there to help me in every step of my journey.

I really enjoyed my experience abroad and loved learning new things and finding new ways to experience Madrid.

Best four months of my life

The study abroad experience is so hard to summarize, but IES Abroad definitely helped me to have the time of my life! From the moment we arrived in the airport the program directors were there to help us transition. The first week of the program was an intensive orientation, where we met everyone else in the program, toured the city and museums, and had initial Spanish classes.
After I adjusted to living in the city and classes started, time flew by! I lived with a Senora and another girl from my program. Our conversations over meals dramatically improved my Spanish and it was nice to have a local to ask advice about travel, restaurants, etc. I highly recommend taking the art history class in the Prado Museum, it was my favorite course by far and I will always remember what I learned about Spanish artists.
There are no IES classes on Fridays so three day weekends allow plenty of time to travel. I suggest finding a balance between traveling and staying in Madrid, because there is so much to explore and discover in Madrid. All the museums, shopping, parks, and restaurants fill the city with life and energy and culture that I miss every single day. Study abroad is an incredible experience, I cannot recommend it enough!

Parks and culture

I really enjoyed my time in Madrid! I personally love the outdoors and spent a lot of time in the parks around the city. This was by far my favorite part of the experience, walking around the city to explore the parks and relax! I would often spend 3 or 4 days a week at various parks doing homework, walking and just enjoying the environment! Madrid also has so many museums, plazas and culture to experience.

I lived in a homestay for the semester with a single mother and her two daughters and was very satisfied with the interaction between the family members and also the meals that were prepared for me.

The one area I feel could have been improved was the administration at the school I studied at. The IES program partnered with a local university and used some of the extra space at this university for classes. But since the school and IES weren't the one in the same entity, there sometimes was miscommunication between the two beings that led to things like, lack of access to certain rooms of the university that students were expected to have access to and lack of support for the IES program teachers because they weren't technically professors of the school. I felt the instructors often did the best with what they had but were limited by this situation.

Overall, given the opportunity, I would love to do this over again if I could and would recommend it for those looking to improve their Spanish and experience the culture first hand as well.

A True Madrileña!

Studying abroad in Madrid was the greatest experience of my life. Although that may sound pretty cliché, it is completely true. The opportunities I had to become fully immersed in the culture while I was abroad were truly incredible. I will never forget my time abroad!

My host family welcomed me with open arms. Of course I was a little nervous to meet them and live with them for four months, but they were the most loving family I ever met. We had family dinners every night and my Spanish improved tremendously! I lived with a mother, father, and two children who were 7 and 10. I love little kids so this made me feel even more comfortable because they made me laugh all the time! They would even help me with my Spanish and I would help them with their English.

The city of Madrid is just absolutely beautiful. It’s clean, the people are nice, and there is so much culture on every street. My walk to class would consist of passing by tons of restaurants, markets, and even parks. I went on excursions with the program to different parts of Spain, took a class in the Prado museum, spent my weekends in Retiro Park, and even went to a Real Madrid soccer game! These were only some of the amazing opportunities I had while I was in Spain.

Although I was in a different country for four months, I really felt at home in the city of Madrid. The staff were very nice and approachable, my host family made me feel so welcome, and I met so many new people that I am still great friends with today!

A Semester to Remember

In reflecting in my time in Spain, I can think mostly of positive memories. IES was very organized and helped me throughout my entire pre departure process. I did not apply for a visa through IES, and when I ran into bumps the staff was very helpful in solving the problem.

Once I arrived, it did not take me long to feel at home. I had the most wonderful host family, and the staff helped us get acclimated. The weekend excursions, and extracurriculars that I participated in were especially fun and marked my experience. I would recommend getting involved in all the activities that IES offers such as cooking classes, dance lessons, and exchange groups where you meet with Spanish students.

As for the classes, I enjoyed some of them and some were fairly bland. I did expect this and overall did not feel like I was wasting my time despite the course load because it helped me improve my Spanish. I would recommend taking the Art History class at the Prado it was an unforgettable experience.

My living situation was amazing, the food was amazing, and the people on the program were amazing. My only complaint would be the Spanish speaking throughout. I felt that it was not the easiest to connect with Spaniards organically, you had to search for opportunities such as going to intercambio bars. Overall it was a semester I will never forget and I would highly recommend this program and studying abroad.

My Time in Madrid

My time in Madrid was incredibly, largely due to the opportunities and experiences I received through the IES Abroad program. The faculty was incredible easy to talk to, constantly encouraged my Spanish (regardless of how poor it was at the beginning), and created an atmosphere that was safe but still pushed my limits and made me grow.
I know understand things about my own culture and language that I never recognized before, and only recognize now because I have experienced life in an atmosphere outside of my comfort zone.

Experiencing Spain

I had a fabulous experience studying abroad in Madrid with IES. I greatly improved my ability to speak Spanish through not only the courses that I took, but the other opportunities that the program offered such as being a teaching assistant and going on excursions with local students. I felt that I was given ample opportunities to explore not only Madrid, but also parts of Spain with IES.

Go Study Abroad! Just Do It!

Studying abroad in Madrid, Spain... where do I begin?! I had the time of my life while studying abroad, and I would not trade that experience for the world! Almost everyday I wish that I could go back to Madrid and spend time with all of the friends I made.

I chose to stay with a host family, and I can easily say that without them, my experience would have been so different! They were truly my family, and I felt so welcome and loved by them. I am a very family-oriented person, and I truly loved that about my host family. I was able to have traditional/typical Spanish meals every night with them, and it was so much fun that they had kids because it was like a pressure relief when talking to them. They didn't care if I messed up a verb tense or stumbled over my words, so it actually turned out to really help and improve my Spanish because I was never worried or felt embarrassed when speaking with them. I made a lot of close friends by attending a local gym just a few minutes from my host family's house. I am still in contact with them after being in the states for almost 2 moths now!

Not only did I make many lasting relationships with the people who live there, the staff at the IES Abroad Center were wonderful. They were so caring and very well in touch with each individual student. They helped us with any problems that we had, and they were very attentive towards us. I really enjoyed the classes that I took, for they were challenging and I learned a lot about the particular subjects, but every class went beyond the structure of the classroom and its material. They would link the subject to the culture, the people, the city, the history, etc. This was an aspect that I greatly enjoyed in terms of the classes and lectures.

We did a lot of side trips and excursions within Spain such as León, Asturias and Segovia to name a few. I only did one personal side trip to Granada in the south of Spain, but many other people took the opportunity to travel to other countries since they were already in Europe at such close range to such diversity. Even locally there were many things to see and experience within the busy city of Madrid. From the night life scene to the parks and museums, one is always entertained and experiencing new sights and smells simply by strolling through the cobblestone streets with a friend.

However, the only negative thing I would have to say is that 3 1/2 months was definitely not long enough, and I wish I would have known how quickly that time would fly! So the take-home, piece of advice I have for anyone out there is that the longer you can be abroad, the better because time in another culture with local people is priceless.

IES Madrid-- the best semester you will ever have in college!

As a student majoring in Spanish and International Relations, studying in Madrid was a like a capstone to my undergraduate studies. In Madrid, everything that I had spent semesters studying at my home university came to life as I spent my free time traveling around Europe; it was nothing short of magical.

Studying abroad is both an exciting and anxiety-inducing experience, and I found that the staff at IES were always extremely accommodating with me at every point of my study abroad experience, from assisting me in the preparation of pre-departure documentation to supporting me in whatever situation arose while in Spain. What really set IES apart from other study abroad programs for me was how personal the experience was-- every administrator knew my name when I arrived and were constantly checking in to see how I was adapting. When you are living in a new country, these little gestures can make a world of a difference.

Academically, IES was very good at engaging students in Spanish culture. During my semester I had the opportunity to take classes at various art museums around Madrid, at local universities, take the DELE language certification exam and even participate in a part time internship for academic credit. Since most courses are taught at the IES Abroad Center, students have the support of a community of other US college students studying in Madrid, but are also encouraged to seek out friendships with Spanish students outside the IES community by living in Spanish dorms, taking a course at a local university and participating in language intercambios.

The program does a really good job of ensuring students experience all the wonderful things that Spanish culture has to offer by providing cooking and flamenco lessons, weekend excursions, and inviting students to dinners and performances around Madrid. Students have the option of living in a traditional homestay, an apartment with other US students or dorms with Spanish students. The choice is up to you, but can greatly influence your level of cultural and language immersion with dorms being the most social option and an apartment being much less immersive.

What makes IES so great is that every student is given the opportunity to make their study abroad experience fulfill both their unique needs and personal goals. Highly recommended for anyone considering studying in Spain!

Living like a true Spaniard

IES Abroad Madrid is that program to receive that "once-in-a-lifetime-study-abroad-experience"! Once I arrived in the city the program staff warmly welcomed me into my new home for the next 3 and a half months. It was apparent that they had done their homework because they all knew us by first name, where we were from and who was our host mom during our semester. Their organization and friendliness helped ease the transition and made me and other students adjust to this new lifestyle. IES Madrid also provided students with great opportunities to assimilate to Spanish culture, through intercambios (student exchanges), historic tours, and cooking classes. Madrid is one great European city where students can truly experience the Spanish lifestyle of siestas, tapas and amazing soccer!

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.