Wildlife Expedition in Costa Rica
Beach cottages Beach cottages

Wildlife Expedition in Costa Rica

I really enjoyed my time

Even though it was hard for me to get started with it I would have to say the BST and Tricky IDs were the best part of the program towards the end I really started to enjoy the bird surveys almost as much as the forest surveys.

It is a beneficial experience

My most positive experience was getting to meet people from all over the globe with the same passions and goals towards the future of this planet. Being able to make networks and connections across the world will be beneficial when wanting to move forward in conservation.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and my time here has flown by so fast. I love getting hands-on experience with the turtles and hiking though the forest spotting different animals. I feel that I have made an impact to the park, especially with the turtles and their nests. The highlights have been seeing hatchlings and watching them safety enter the water, learning about the different animals like the agouti, snakes, and sloths. I loved the people I worked with and the relationships I have made.

I absolutely loved it

Seeing the wildlife, touching wild turtles. I really liked how some staff members were so cooperative and really hightned the experience of the walks we did. Both night and day-walkes alike I loved. Basically, if I had something to do, I absolutely loved it. My alltime favorite walk was my second nightwalk, it was with Ed, Vix, and Sarah and I got to count eggs and we worked 6 turtles, so, everybody in the team got to roulate and do everything twice, which was nice.

The camaraderie

The camaraderie that was created by the extra activities (game nights, chicken Friday, etc) was definitely the best part of my experience here. It made the amazing wildlife that much more meaningful that I was experiencing these things with friends.

Adventure of a lifetime

Living at Jalova, Costa Rica was such an amazing adventure and allowed me to focus on a career that I am passionate about. No it is not for everyone, but if you like being off the grid, seeing exotic/new things, and making new friends, then you need to go. It is remote; no phone, electricity, etc, however you realize quickly how much fun you can have without any of that. I worked with sea turtles, jaguars, birds and more. I learned about conservation and how important it is. The food was good, the fruits were interesting and fun. Everyday was a new experience and the memories gathered are worth a lifetime!

Well-organized program

I really enjoyed learning new skills by doing the turtle survey work and feeling like you made a contribution to the programme. I loved the experience of seeing a new place and living in conditions that are completely different to my everyday life whilst meeting new friends.

Great location

Well organised, passionate staff, location was better than any of the sister organisations in the area. The whole trip was a positive, i was burnt, bittern and working all the time (at my request, i enjoyed helping out), all the staff were brilliant and great to work with but the surveys with the biologists were definitely my favourite, specifically identifying target species for my b-tec, living away from electricity and other luxuries was a great part as well.

Doing something meaningful

Just getting to be out there and see all these amazing things was incredible. As i did some more travelling after the program i know how much i was given, like the staff were all excellent in the field and could teach me many things. And i saw things that i would have never seen, a corona around the moon, the turtles emerging from the sea in the dim light of the full moon- there are no words to describe that. I really enjoyed being with that group of people; everybody was so open-minded and easy-going and happy to be there, it was just great. I kinda even enjoyed the fact that the food is nothing close to what I'm used to (even though i did get a little tired of having rice all the time) and the very basic conditions on the base.

Great experience!

I absolutely LOVED this program, and want to extend my awareness and experience into different areas. I enjoyed applying the training we learned out in the field, the people, and side trips in Costa Rica.

Learned a lot

I really enjoyed meeting people from all over and becoming good friends with them. I feel like I really learned a lot while I was in Costa Rica, and my trip was far from a vacation - which is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Great experience!

What I liked most about this program is how we lived in the jungle and overcoming my fears. Although, having an updated living quarters would be greatly helpful in improving volunteer and staff morale.

Awesome experience!

The people, their knowledge and enthusiasm for wildlife and knowledge was inspiring! The turtles and how up close and involved we were after a short while was incredible, AMAZING!! The location was also a bonus, like in a film!

Great having an active lifestyle

The field staff had a great positive influence on me. It was inspiring to be around people who are so passionate about what they do. I enjoyed getting to be active everyday and never knowing what we would see every time we went out.

Enjoyed every minute I was there

My most positive experience was to count turtle eggs while it was laying it's eggs right on my hand, to me it was a one time life experience and it honestly influenced me to want to do more with volunteering in these kind of programs. I enjoyed cleaning the beach just because I felt like i was doing something better for something/someone else rather than myself and i enjoyed every minute i was there.

Very well put together program

The camaraderie of the volunteers and staff was wonderful. When I left I felt like I was leaving behind a family. The organization of the entire program was exemplary. From the moment I arrived in Costa Rica, I felt well taken care of, safe, and knew it was going to be a wonderful experience from the very beginning. I was impressed with the overall program, but most notably the passion that the staff have for the program. I was so very sad to leave. This experience changed my life forever- I cannot wait to participate in similar projects in the future!

GVI strikes me as a very well put together program. I am already planning my next excursion through GVI and have recommended GVI to all of my friends!

Truly unforgettable!

This experience was more than I ever hoped for. I've been contemplating for years as to what career path I want to take. After joining this program in Costa Rica I know I want to work in conservation efforts. The actual work we did with the turtles just blew me away. My first night I was able to stick my hand under the turtle's cloaca and count the eggs as the came out. I never expected to be able to get that close to something that amazing. Let alone touch the eggs. Also seeing baby leatherback turtles make their way to sea was one of the most amazing experiences I will ever have in my life. Truly unforgettable and life changing.

People were amazing!

I loved being able to work in such close proximity to the wildlife- it made me feel good because I was actually out there doing something! And the people were amazing; they were so passionate about what they were doing, and it was really inspiring.

The program I participated in showed me that field work is what I want to do, so I would of course take advantage of another opportunity to do a GVI program to get some more experience!

Great experience

I loved being a part of a field team and undertaking a wide range of biological surveys. I would participate in another GVI program because the whole experience was a lot of fun, educational, and felt like I was making a positive contribution.

I would never hesitate to do again!

The entire experience was positive. The location was amazing and the fieldwork was incredible. The thing I most enjoyed were the staff and people there. They were so helpful, knowledgable and friendly and I had so much fun with them! A great team of people with such passion and they are definitely the backbone to the very successful programme.

But perhaps it could have been less "duty" work. We were very few volunteers and I didn't spend as much time in the field as I hoped due to several entire days devoted to cleaning and cooking which I didn't realize I would have to (I knew there would be shared cooking but not entire days of it!).

It was a life changing experience and one that I would never hesitate to do again!

Constant eye-opening experience

The most enjoyable parts of my GVI experience were the people and the ambient wildlife surroundings. The people were extremely fun to be around, and made living in the remote jungle very fun and uplifting. People were rarely in sour moods, and the spirits were always high. Also, just being surrounded by so many different species even while being on base was a fascinating experience. I'm not used to having so much biodiversity in close proximity, and it made all the surveys as well as time on base a constantly eye-opening experience.

I got quite a bit out of participating from a personal perspective, and I simultaneously felt like I was contributing to a greater cause.

Fun learning experience

I enjoyed getting close to the wildlife and turtle surveys especially night walks where you actually get to see and touch turtles. I had good fun, met some cool people, and contributed to data that shapes positive decisions regarding the national park.

I would love to be back out there again!

I loved the turtle night walks and being able to actually work with the turtles. Realizing how lucky you are when you see a Leatherback making her way back to the sea after her nesting and being able to count her eggs! Yet also the people on the project both staff and volunteers. The whole staff team were very knowledgeable in their areas and I have learnt a lot from them. Seeing their passion for the projects has made me very excited for my future career after University. With everyone coming from all around the world it's a great mix of cultures and even though we were in a tight living space we all got along.

I really enjoyed my time on this project. It has given me the opportunity to be in the field collecting data for important research and I would love to be back out there again doing my little bit to contribute.

Incredible experience

I enjoyed chance to work a leatherback turtle. The canal bird surveys. The people. The location.

But the training week was a bit long. We all felt that it could have been compressed, as there were a lot of free time. The risk assessment element was, frankly, tedious. Whilst appreciating that in such as remote location safety is very important, it felt like being back in primary school as we each read them out. It smacked of covering the organisation rather than the individual participants. But then I used to be a health and safety officer, so perhaps I'm rather cynical about such things!

Working with like-minded people was really special

The most positive experience was exploring the jungle and seeing so many different species of wildlife in their own natural habitats. The thing I enjoyed most was working with a group of really friendly, like-minded people who made the program something really special for me.

I think the programs give people a chance to experience a different side of a country that isn't found in a tourist guide. I got to do real work, and I knew I was helping out which made it all the better.