Safari Field Guide Course in South Africa
Beach cottages Beach cottages

Safari Field Guide Course in South Africa

Loved it!

I loved having the opportunity to sharpen most of my skills and have opportunities to put them into practice. For the first time in my life, I am not at the bottom of my class academically, but towards the top. I have also developed an amazing powerful drive and the discipline to always do better and be better than before. Bushwise has helped me lay down a solid foundation for myself, and that will help me go forth and be who I am and do what I am good at.

The course was amazing

After spending 6 months on the Bushwise Guiding course I decided to also do the Bushwise Hospitality course. I realized that working as a manager in a Safari lodge was more appealing to me than being a guide (even though I love guiding). After the course I spent 5 months working at Mohlabetsi safari lodge as a duty manager intern. This experience really confirmed my love for the African bush and hospitality. I am currently studying for a degree in hotel management and hope to return to South Africa afterwards. The course was amazing and I would recommend to anyone interested in working in a lodge setting.

I’m really happy I chose Bushwise

I’m really happy I chose Bushwise, it has really changed me as a person and feel I have grown so much. I have travelled around the world searching for a place to call “home” and I truly found it with Bushwise. I would do the course again and I recommend this course to anyone who wants to reach greatness.

Good kick-start to a career in the industry

Good kick-start to a career in the industry, often being taught up to Fgasa Level 2 to give us a head start / advantage over other Fgasa Level 1’s in the industry, and a more knowledgeable approach to guests. Many extra activities, such as 4x4, photography to provide a good grounding in all areas which some other course don’t provide.

Fantastic experience

Bushwise was a fantastic experience. It taught me a lot and made me grow a lot as a person. It is an amazing way to get into the industry, even if day by day was sometimes hard. I can’t think of anything else that would be as tough, stressful and difficult, but at the same time so so enjoyable.

Fun and informative

Course is fun and informative, with great hands on training. You get up close and personal with nature. Trainers are well educated and very knowledgeable. The course in general is well planned, enjoyable and gives you the perspective that you work / train already in a lodge environment. I will recommend this course to anyone who wish to start in the guiding industry.

One of the best choices I’ve made

This is honestly one of the best choices I’ve made in my life. I hated college, big cities and I knew I wanted to work with animals but didn’t want to waste years in school getting a degree. Being out here and getting to listen to hyena calls and bird songs on a regular basis still seems unreal to me. The knowledge I’ve gained from being at Bushwise will more than help me through life. I just love the animals and nature so much and I’m so lucky to be able to see it everyday and I am so glad that I did the course at Bushwise.

An invaluable experience

An invaluable experience that I couldn’t recommend highly enough to others wanting to get into the guiding industry. Thank you to the trainers, staff and everyone involved who has helped to inspire within me a great passion for the African bush, and for putting me in a position to worth in it.

Great memories

The Bushwise Hospitality course has brought me many great memories and a ton of new experiences that I know will help me in my future career within the hospitality business. I made new friends, learned new skills and got a great insight into how a lodge runs - behind the scenes and towards the guests. Joining Bushwise has made me more attractive for employers, as I have both skills and experiences that matches no other. A great way to start your career in the hospitality field, or just to learn new experiences and make memories that you will never forget.

The journey begins

The journey begins. I had no idea of how that sign at the airport on my way to South Africa would really come to life. I joined the hospitality course with Bushwise in July 2014 as a recent college graduate as someone looking to gain working experience in a luxury style resort. The training at the Bushwise camp and the experience that I later gained at my placement lodge was an experience that was not only fun, but more importantly added the “WOW” factor to my resume.
My Bushwise journey began with an intense 2 week orientation that would eventually get me ready for my placement lodge. Of course, this would not have happened without the amazing instructors that truly cared about our future success. I can confidently say I hit the ground running by the end of the 2 weeks. The day trip to Kruger National Park, educational wine tasting, bush dinner setup and practice, game drives, and game lodge visits were some of the fascinating tools that were provided to us students. I highly recommend this course if you have a passion for nature and would like to jump start your hospitality career. Becoming familiar with the wildlife and the surrounding bush, and then being able to hold an intelligent conversation with a lodge guest was one of the highlights from my Bushwise experience. You will never know when you may have to explain to a guest what exactly broke into their room while they were away, and
then calmly explain to them that it was just a harmless monkey that they have probably seen swinging from tree to tree. No day is ever the same in the bush!

This internship has led me into a life long career

My name is Clare Voroteliak The Bushwise Hospitality Course gave me the fundamental knowledge of the lodge industry and provided me with an opportunity to gain invaluable practical experience. I chose Bushwise, as the internship was highly praised and was one of the few that provided a two week training course. The training course equipped me with the skills to enter my placement with confidence. Furthermore, it gave us an insight into South African culture and history as well as the hospitality industry. The Bushwise hospitality course helped me realise my passion and joy of working in the lodge industry. This internship has led me into a life long career in hospitality

Bushwise course

I loved my time on the Bushwise hospitality course as it allowed me to combine my passion for the hospitality with my love for wildlife. It was also great to come to Africa for the first time and meet some fantastic people with amazing stories. Coming from England it was a completely different and wonderful culture that you can't help but get involved with.

The Bushwise hospitality course was a great way to develop skills that you need to work in the industry. I took the 20 week course as part of my placement year for a hospitality management degree and couldn't have been happier with the skills I learnt and have used to help me with my final year at university. It definitely developed my people skills and confidence as well as make me think more about what career path I want to go down. As well as this it was great to see the beautiful country of South Africa and all the animals in their natural habitat.

I wish it would never end!

To explain up my time as a Bushwise student in a couple of sentences is going to be hard. I have learned so much and still feel there is a lot more to learn out here. Learning all there is about the bush is a great experience helped along by helpful and knowledgeable instructors. All days are planned fully with interesting subjects, either in theory or practice. Although the days start early, I have always been eager to start a new week. Compare it to a boring day at the office, you’ll never know what exactly to expect, because you’ll never know what you come across in the bush. Lions, leopards, elephants, eagles, frogs, or even insects, rain or sun, they can all make it into an amazing day, or ruin the plans for it. Together with new friends I have made make along the way I am having a blast. To sum it all up: I wish it would never end!

I enjoyed the course very much and learned a lot. When I think back of when we just arrived compared to now, there is so much we know. I also had a lot of fun during the past 5 months, it is weird that the group is going separate ways now.

This course is the first step!

Sleepout, that is you and your sleeping bag in a dry riverbed under the stars of Africa! Listening to lions and telling stories around the fire. What better night?
Watching a leopard with two cubs at sunset is only one of many exciting experiences.

Watching animals is nice. Analyzing animal behaviour is exciting. Predicting animal behaviour is mastery. And this course is the first step to it!
The bush is not just the Big 5. It is interaction between all living and nonliving organisms. This course provides you with the background needed to fully enjoy the wonders of the bush.

The passion our instructors show when teaching us about the bush, has not only provided me with a lot of knowledge, which I will be able to use in any forthcoming situation in my live, but has also inspired me.

Experience enjoyed the most: Leopard in the spotlight: Barely two weeks into the course, we are sitting in the game vehicle. It is late afternoon, the sun begins to set, as it is still winter, everyone gets their jackets out of the backpacks, while Daryl is getting the spotlight ready. We are driving through the darker and darker bush, when suddenly a leopard crosses the road in front of us. He hides behind a small bush and walks along it to a dam. There on the dam wall, a couple of impalas are grazing. The leopard, hidden, stalks closer and then waits for a couple of minutes , there is silence, while everyone awaits the next move while watching the impalas against the moonlight. Then the leopard abandons its hunt, he walks to a puddle, drinks and vanishes into the bush. As soon as he was gone, the talking starts and everyone expresses their amazement about the grace and beauty of this cat. Symbolises the course!.

I would recommend this course for anyone

I'm happy I decided to come and do this course, I’ve learnt so much about nature and had some experiences I will never forget. I've met a lot of good people and made some life long friends. I would recommend this course for anyone interested in wanting to know more about the natural world and themselves a little better too!

Amazing

The amount of information I managed to learn during the course is just amazing, and I can really see how important it was that I did the course. I’m now the manager of Jackpot Safaris in Tanzania where I have regular meetings with my guides (guides with many years experience), and I always end up teaching them a lot of information they didn’t know. I found it clear that I had to make a safari manual for my guides. The manual just consist of completely standard information, like introducing themselves properly, give the guest enough information, don’t leave the clients etc. Already it seems that the manual has made an impact with my guides, and they have started behaving a lot more professional as they work. I want to finish off by saying thank you for making sure I passed my course, even though I wasn’t always the most eager in the classroom. I can definitely say that the course I did with Bushwise have helped me a lot in pursuing what it is that I want with my life, living and enjoying Africa.

I have had a wonderful time

Since the Bushwise 6 month training course I have had a wonderful time. After achieving many qualifications including Level 1 theory and practical, Trails theory, Advanced Rifle Handling, First Aid, as well as (due to being English) a South African driving licence and a Public Driving Permit, I ventured onto my 6month placement.

I worked as a guide for Garonga Safari Lodge, which was a huge learning curve for me in many ways. I was being let loose on my own to put into practice what I had been taught. I enjoyed it thoroughly, even through the lack of sleep and the occasional stressful guest.

Three months into my work placement I decided to study for my level 2 theory exam. Although it was quite difficult to manage studying whilst working, the course had certainly taught me to be strict with myself and organised with my time management. As you can imagine I was extremely pleased when I found out I had passed the exam.

Once the 6 months was up I left Garonga, somewhat sad, yet very excited about what the future had in store. I am 100% convinced that I want to live in Africa and work in this industry- not necessarily as a guide forever but within conservation. I am also very very keen to do more studying and qualifications as for the first time in my life I have thrived from learning and studying!

I am now back in the UK, as I needed to sort out passports/visa's etc. During this time I have been doing lots of research into jobs that I am interested in. These include guiding, research, co-ordinating volunteer projects, lodge management and working for wildlife organisations. Due to my numerous qualifications, I have received a lot of interest from my enquiries.

I will be starting a 1 month trails course in Kruger National Park, when I return in September. The course involves walking everyday into dangerous game, in order to work towards my full trails practical qualification, so that one day I will be able to lead walking safaris with guests. As you can see.... This course has changed my life, it was the best thing I have ever done!

This helped me with my qualifications

At the end of my Bushwise training, I was placed at Africa On Foot, an attractive camp, located in the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve (part of the Greater Kruger), which focuses on walking safaris. This assignment included work at another lodge, nThambo Tree Camp, which is Africa On Foot’s sister camp. Being offered a placement at Africa On Foot was fortunate as I was able to further my ambitions of becoming a fully qualified walking guide. I took every available opportunity to gain walking experience, and even devoted my weeks off to doing so. In this way, I was able to qualify as a Back-Up Trails Guide during my placement. I am also planning to complete my Full Trails qualification before the end of my time here. Overall, although the work was at times challenging, my time at Africa On Foot and nThambo Tree Camp has allowed me to develop myself and further my qualifications while continuing to learn about the South African bush.

I recommend this to everyone!

Hello guys, I am Carlet Bimbergen from the Netherlands and I am currently busy with fulfilling my internship for my Bachelor of Business Administration. Now you're probably thinking, what do you do at this Bushwise page? That is a good question which I happily would like to answer for you.
I am the living proof that Bushwise offers more than hospitality and field guide placements.
To be honest, I had no idea what to expect from South Africa, the two week introduction course from Bushwise course and my placement - the only thing I knew; it would be a great adventure and I have to say it definitely is. I've fallen in love with this beautiful country! Bushwise has given me a great internship opportunity which fits my interest and my study. With this I want to say thank you to everyone that made this possible, I am very grateful for this experience! I am currently working as assistant manager at a lodge where I am working within the administration department which includes reception tasks, guest relations and the administration. Additionally, I am also the hostess. The introduction course prepared me very well for the bush life and everything that was waiting for me at this lodge. I've learned a lot the past few months, developed myself and gained more confidence. I am having a great time with my colleagues, met some lovely people, saw some beautiful places and above all I am having a great time - all this while I'm gaining work experience and fulfilling my internship.
This is a one in a lifetime experience which I recommend to everyone!

We are excited to welcome our next students

From the start, everything was well organized and communicated from their side. Clare, a lovely young student from Australia, arrived as a breath of fresh air and became part of our family from day one. There were regular follow-ups from Bushwise to check on the progress of their student and this showed how personalized their service and training is. Their students are not just another face in the class, but a success story in the making! We are excited to welcome our next student at Elephant Plains.

Tersia Fouche
General Manager Elephant Plains

We commend Bushwise

We have no hesitation in recommending Bushwise to other lodges or operators. Their students have always proven to be enthusiastic, motivated and of a high caliber, slotting in quickly and easily to the busy operations of our lodges. We commend them on always matching our needs with that of a suitable profile and personality of student that fit the Thornybush portfolio.

JB Burger
Operations Manager
Thornybush Luxury Game Lodge Collection

I had a great time

I had a great time with Bushwise! Meeting amazing students from all over the world while learning about the bush, experiencing game drives and safaris myself, and having the opportunity to work in a unique environment at the lodge of my placement. The Bushwise team was wonderful in how they took care of me and the other students. Definitely one of the coolest things I've ever done :)

Successful placement

We had a very successful placement from Bushwise after taking on a front of house student for 6 months, we ended up extending her stay with us and over that extension she was given a supervisor role.
We found Marilyn to be a great asset to Kings Camp and fitted in well with the team, Should a full time position ever come available for her we wouldn’t hesitate to employ her.
We will be using Bushwise in the future and already have our next student lined up!

Hayley Cooper
Assistant Manager – Kings Camp PNR. Timbavati Game Reserve

Grateful

What an amazing experience it was to have this hospitality orientation course done through Bushwise. Meeting new people from all around the world. Many memories were made. We are now all at our placement lodges where we will continue our adventures and discoveries of the South African wildlife. I am so grateful to have been able to be part of such a prestigious programme, such as Bushwise. I have learnt so much and continue to learn so much at my placement Lodge the wonderful Kings Camp. Bushwise ensured I had all the basic hospitality and service knowledge to flourish in this industry as well as equip me with the knowledge to work in a wildlife area. I am enjoying my internship thoroughly and thank Bushwise for this.

This is a dream come true

I chose Bushwise because a lot of people recommended the company, and I read a lot about it. I am currently busy with my placement after the Bushwise Hospitality course. I have learned a lot over the past 3 months. I will be doing the Bushwise Field guide course starting in January 2016. With the Bushwise Hospitality course I gained more confidence. I have learned so much & have met so many new people, made new friends & now I am doing what I love. This is a dream come true. Bushwise can make your dream a reality.