Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh Community Involvement
GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh Community Involvement

Ho Chi Minh: an unforgettable volunteering experience

The two weeks that I spent in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam provided me with amazing memories and invaluable friendships with volunteers from all over the world. At the end of my two weeks there, I left Vietnam gloomily, and promised myself to return to this beautiful country full of kind souls as many times as I can. If I’d known before that I’d find myself feeling so close to the people of this fascinating country so quickly, I’d have planned to stay for two more weeks.

Of course, the best part of it all was the volunteer work. I got up at seven o’ clock on weekdays, and had breakfast with my roommates, who were all involved in different kinds of volunteering projects. I left with my team at eight and walked to the orphanage, which was inside a beautiful Pagoda. The staff was always so friendly and welcoming that I never felt like an outsider; they treated me as one of them. As a volunteer, I needed to take the kids with special needs out for walks first. After this, I usually went upstairs, where the classrooms are, to teach English. Even though the kids were naughty at times, they were so much fun to be around, and they learnt eagerly. When it was lunchtime, I went to feed the kids with special needs with my teammates. Usually at eleven thirty, I went back to the accommodation to have lunch and rest for a while. After lunch, we went back to the orphanage, where we helped the kids walk around, played with them, painted pictures and helped do the cleaning until four thirty.

What I liked the most about volunteering in the pagoda was that the staff always took us very seriously. They saw us as equals to them, and they trusted us with everything. We were allowed to enter the babies’ room or the toddlers’ room at any time. We were also given serious duties like helping disabled kids walk using their walking frames. At first, this had intimidated me a little, because I was afraid of hurting them, but after getting to know the kids I was very comfortable around them.

Our accommodation was very comfortable and nice. After a few days, it felt like home. GoEco staff was always ready to help, the organization was remarkably great, and the people at our accommodation were also very friendly and helpful. Another thing that I enjoyed very much was staying with other people from all over the world with similar world views to mine, and getting to know them. We went downtown with my roommates every night and had a chance to explore the city.

I’m very glad that I volunteered this summer. Everything was better than I could ever imagine. I’m glad that I had the chance to explore one of the most beautiful cities in the world, a chance to be immersed into its culture by helping its people. Nothing else compares to the experience of being miles away from your country, surrounded by people who do not speak your language and who are culturally very different than you, and still being able to feel at home.

Medical internship in Vietnam - An amazing experience!!

This experience combined perfectly my desire to travel and explore the world, as well as my passion for health! I really had no expectations when I got there at first, but I have to say I was very impressed! All the coordinators for this program were really helpful and available if I had any questions and they made the best as they could to ensure that my experience was the best as possible. At the hospital, the doctors were also very welcoming and let us do and watch many interesting things. For example, we learned how to do acuponcture, vitamin B12 injections, wound care, physiotherapy and we got to assist many big surgeries such as bone graft, internal fixation surgeries, nerve replacement, etc. Everyday we are divided in groups of thw or three and we get to follow a doctor in his different tasks. Also, Vietnam is a wonderful country, very rich in culture and history. Food is very good and during your free time, you will have plenty activities to choose from. For example, during weekends, I traveled my my friend to Halong bay, Mui Ne and Da Nang, you surely don't want to miss those places!