South Africa - African Wildlife Ranch
GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

South Africa - African Wildlife Ranch

CWR Volunteering

What an amazing volunteering experience. The program at Cango Wildlife Ranch is a once in a lifetime opportunity with such amazing memories to be made. The staff are incredible so friendly and happy to help and answer any questions you may have about the animals or conservation and anything really. Animals are beautiful creatures there and so well looked after. Overall it was amazing volunteering experience and I would 100% recommend to anyone to give this one ago. I'll be back one day to make more incredible memories that I'll never forget.

My great escape

My time at Glen Afric Volunteer Experience through GoEco, was the absolute best two and a half weeks of my life. The first thing that appealed to me about this project was the low cost. Honestly, 1350 USD for 2 days at a hostel, a shared accommodation for 2 weeks, all meals included, and transportation? Amazing. I was able to meet people from all around the world, help animals in need, and see a beautiful country. I have been to many different countries and I have been apart of so many amazing programs, but I can truly say with a full heart that this truly was the very best. The project leaders were absolutely amazing, the days were evenly structured into two hour work intervals, and the food was delicious. The atmosphere at this sanctuary was infectious with love, care, and unity. I have made some lifelong friends on this project, and we are already planning our return for next Summer.

Volunteering in South-Africa : I found myself in Africa.

Volunteer in South-Africa – Cango Wildlife Ranch Oudtshoon – African Wildlife Ranch

Through the Youtube channel “Flying the nest”, I came across the organization Go Eco. For quite some time I have been searching the internet, looking for a new way to travel. Volunteering sounded like a lot of fun so, after debating a little bit, I booked the “African Wildlife Ranch”. This was the best decision ever.

In preparing for my trip, I got really nervous. The night before my adventure started, I almost wanted to quite. I think having cold feet before leaving for such a big trip, all by yourself is totally normal. I’m writing this down, so I can tell you guys to get on that plane! I did and I loved every minute of this crazy adventure.

I was greeted at the airport by one of the lovely hosts “Dédé”. And she immediately made me feel at home. She drove me and the other new volunteers to our accommodation. I stayed at the WAV-house, which was the cheaper option. The house was clean and okay, but I would recommend staying at “Zindago’s Lodge”. It costs you extra, but it is definitely way better and worth the money! Every time that I visited the other volunteers there, I was so jealous of their accommodation.

We got time to settle in, have an amazing dinner (the house cook Charlotte cooks so, so good) and meet with our housemates. When we looked out our window, we saw white tigers wandering along the fence. That was so cool.

Our first week was orientation, presentations, meeting the staff and the animals and bonding time. They give you a lot of information, but it was all very fascinating. And the volunteer work is incredibly well organized. You get a chance to do every task and you learn a lot about working with these “wild” animals. The staff always guides you and loves to share their knowledge with you. The main duties you do on a daily basis are: preparing food, cleaning enclosures, making & handling out enrichment for the animals, feeding and animal encounters (yes, daily). Sometimes you work alone and sometimes you work as a group.

In the weekend you can sign up for multiple excursions or activities. They drive you there and pick you back up. I did the horseback riding and the shark cage diving and I had such a blast with both. If you are not doing any activities, you can just chill by the pool or walk to town for some shopping. The area is quite safe, at night you can better walk in group, but during the day it’s fine to walk alone.

Every single person I’ve met on this trip, from the other volunteers, to the staff and the hosts, were such friendly and interesting people. I’ve made friends for a lifetime and so many beautiful memories.

The whole experience was wonderful and I will recommend it to everyone who wants to live and work with animals or make the trip of a lifetime!

Thank you Cango Wildlife Ranch and thank you GoEco! -Febe