New Zealand - Conservation Experience
GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

New Zealand - Conservation Experience

New Zealand internship experience

I went through GoEco to Punakaiki, New Zealand for five weeks. At first, I was not sure what to exactly expect and I was very nervous as it was my first time outside of the country. After a few days there, I quickly adjusted and it turned out to be a very enjoyable experience! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to work outside of their country for the first time. The people I worked with were very nice and explained the culture and such so it did not feel like I was being tossed in.

Volunteering in The Hunua Ranges & Atiu Creek, North Island, NZ

The volunteering experience was a first for me and one that I truly enjoyed and would like to certainly go back to. I spent a week each in the Hunua Ranges and Atiu Creek Regional Parks. The teams were delightful and people from various countries (Germany, Netherlands & USA). Together with the volunteers I had the opportunity to interact with community volunteers from NZ, the Park Rangers and most importantly the conservation experts from the Conversation Volunteers organization that arranged it all. The learning was immense the work fulfilling and at times demanding in a good way. The arrangement in preparation to the trip was aided well by GoEco.org. Overall it was an experience I would highly recommend to people interested in the field of conservation and even those just interested to take a break and spend some time in nature. My blogs on the experience are here https://aditipatnaik.exposure.co/

Volunteering in Punkaiki

I had a great time volunteering with the conservation project in Punkaiki. There was a lot of variety in the tasks we did and everyone I met was really friendly. I enjoyed this experience because I got to see a different side of New Zealand which I would have not if I was just travelling. I highly recommend volunteering for the conservation project on the South Island and I would go back any time.

Two weeks On the South ISland

Spent two weeks on the south Island on the west coast by the rain forests and coast. One week was spent local tree planting to bring back a former rain forest and the second week was spend about 1-2 hours away working with a small tree nursery in a coastal town. I enjoyed the work and the other volunteers as well (American, Spanish, and German). The information given beforehand could have been better, I didn't get much info until I paid which usually is a red flag and not too much info for traveling which was not enjoyable traveling across the world and had to wait for a bus that I was told would come but ended up being late so wasn't sure what was happening. This is why I didn't rate a 10 on all parts, all the rest I was happy with though. The program manager was good and enjoyable too and locations we stayed also were good.