Greece - Sea Turtle Conservation

Star Verified

Location

Greece: Rural Areas

Program Summary

This project aims to protect and preserve the vulnerable baby sea turtles that hatch on the beaches of Greece. The project runs from June to September and closely follows, monitors, and protects the nesting season of the Loggerhead sea turtle to ensure the maximum success rate of turtle hatchlings.

Your specific duties as a volunteer will vary from month to month throughout the season.

June: the work focuses on identifying new nests, and protecting them from any environmental hazards. Specifically, you work may include:
–Early morning beach walks to identify any overnight nesting
–Marking new nests
–Moving nests if they lie below the high tide line
–Building a protective barrier around the nests
–Building a runway for turtles to follow to the water so they don't get lost when they hatch

July/August: this is hatching season so the work involves monitoring and recording the hatchlings from each nest. Your work may include:
–Early morning beach surveys to monitor which nests hatched

It was a phenomenal experience

It was a phenomenal experience, from the international people from all over, getting to work with them in a field of our common interest to try our best to conserve vulnerable populations was the best experience ever. I enjoyed the most the morning survey

GVI Greece

This experience working with sea turtles in rural Greece changed my life. It set me on a path to pursue my passion for wildlife conservation. The experience I had taught me so much about myself and what I want out of life. It was an outlet for my adventurous spirit and it provided opportunities to create lifelong relationships. I also built connections with fellow GVI volunteers and staff members that will provide opportunities in the future to learn and travel. This experience was well worth the hard work and the time away from home. It was incredible and it inspired my friends and family back home to do small things to make a difference. These projects are magnificent ways to change the world through small thing that you can do. Very fulfilling.

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.