Volunteer in Cuba and Build a Bridge of Friendship
Global Volunteers participants Global Volunteers participants

Volunteer in Cuba and Build a Bridge of Friendship

Global volunteers experience in Cuba

I went to Cuba for two weeks with Global Volunteers to tutor English and learn about the Cuban culture, and I was amazed, enlightened, fulfilled, and rewarded beyond words with my experience there. G.V. is very organized, the cultural activities were very good, the local contacts were brilliant, the students I tutored were wonderful and grateful, and the people of Cuba are very welcoming. Thanks Global Volunteers.

Volunteer

Via Global Volunteers, I have had the privilege of volunteering and serving as a volunteer team leader with 3 service programs in Ciego de Avila, working alongside local people. The work projects vary from weeding in an organic garden cooperative to enabling local people, ages 5 to 85, to practice their English. Global Volunteers enables local people and volunteers opportunities to build friendships, make connections, and increase mutual understanding and respect for one another. Cuba is incredibly "rich," depending upon your definition of rich. The words that come to mind are culture, family, dance, music, creativity, no billboards, resourcefulness, unplugged, people working together, roosters and salsa beats serving as alarm clocks. Food is pure and fresh. People are incredibly friendly. Me gusta la gente de Cuba.

My trip to Cuba

Overall I had a good experience, but I felt that my skills were totally under utilized. The so called "English tutoring" program involved people showing up at the Council of Churches and the volunteers standing around and in a basically helter skelter manner people connected. There were no lesson plans, grouping of people with similar skills - nothing. There were times that we had difficulty finding a place to work with our students. In my case it ended up with several volunteers to one or two students. I spent my mornings at a church were ladies gathered to do various types of needle work. Fortunately, that is something I do. I sat there and knitted and talked to the ladies and made a couple of things that hopefully they can sell to help the church. But other volunteers who had no skills in that area just sat and talked and I tried to teach them some needle work skills. But for an earlier group that had left yarn and needles we would have had no materials to work with. And it was not like we could go out and buy things. I felt that we should have been told what we were going to be doing so that we could have brought supplies. While I had a interesting experience with Global Volunteers and would not travel with them again. There were too many rules; I felt like I was in Jr. High School and not enough planning.