Study Abroad for a Semester at Deakin University Australia
Deakin University Header Image Deakin University Header Image

Study Abroad for a Semester at Deakin University Australia

Love at first sight

There isn't one moment I ever regret going to Australia... I honestly was filling out a new visa to just stay and live there after my program finished. This is an experience I recommend to everyone because of the adventures and education it gave me. For the education portion of it, Deakin University was absolutely amazing. I love how it differs from the American system because they dive head first into what your major is instead of dilly dallying with general education classes. The professors love what they do and are very welcoming of the students from overseas. The program through the school even offered other trips so you could experience more adventures such as The Great Ocean Road. Now for the fun stuff!... Melbourne is hands down one of the most amazing places I have ever been to/ lived. It is one of the most diverse places in the world and the place to be if you are a foodie. Any type of food you want, you can find it there and it's to die for. The people are really nice and curious of your travels. The public transportation system is wonderful... you could hop on and head over to the beach or go another way and go on a beautiful hike. Melbourne really does has everything. I personally wanted to be fully immersed so I decided to find my own roommates from Australia. They taught me so much about the Aussie way of life and 2 of them are actually going to be in my wedding. If you are considering Australia then I would absolutely 100% say stop thinking and just sign up because it will be some of the most amazing times of your life!!!

Mel-bourne for this

Studying abroad was the best 4 months of my life. I don't say that lightly because I've had a lot of amazing experiences throughout the years, but living in Australia by far, outshone them all. I adapted to the new lifestyle and culture almost immediately- within 2 weeks of moving there, Melbourne started to feel like home. It's a very artistic and cultural city, which falls in line with my being a designer/photographer. This city was exploding with chances for exploration and inspiration. I was able to dabble in street art for example, on Hosier Lane, where that type of artistic expression is legal. I met people from all walks of life, both within my study abroad program, and from Australia, as well as backpackers in all of the hostels I stayed in throughout my many travels. This experience changed me from the inside out in a way that's difficult to explain- I'm more relaxed now, perhaps due to the laid back Aussie lifestyle, but at the same time, I'm more motivated than ever to do more, see more, live more, and be more. It's given me an international platform to view the world from, and friends from all over the globe to view it with me.