Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Summer)
teacher and students teacher and students

Study Abroad in Greece with CYA! (Summer)

Greek-American Experiences Greece

I always wanted to go to Greece, being Greek-American. By doing CYA, I had some of the best experiences of my life. I took the Travel Writing class, even though I am a math major. I loved my experience with CYA. To start, the academics were challenging, but not overbearing. CYA did a great job balancing exploring and learning. They encouraged us to get out and explore Greece. Class time was used well and I learned a lot about myself and about travel writing. My writing skills improved in many ways, and I found a new skill for food writing. I think anyone could find a course at CYA that they find interesting. I would say taking a course unrelated to your major, or your comfort zone, could prove to be more beneficial to you.

The living situations over the course were great. The apartment in Athens was homey and probably one of the nicer places in Athens. It had air conditioning, wifi, and a balcony view. It also was decorated to really make you live like an Athenian and get into the Greek culture. The apartment reminded me of my childhood home, coming from a Greek family. The hotels they provided for outside Athens were really nice. They had wifi and air conditioning and were located in lively areas.

CYA allowed you to get as culturally immersed as you wanted to. If you wanted to stay in your comfort zone, you could eat at places like Dominoes or Mcdonalds. You could talk to only your roommates, or you could break out and get to know local Greeks. You can try and find places where the locals eat, where there is no menu in English because there aren't many tourists. Most of the people attending the program wanted to get as culturally immersed as possible. The staff helps you do it by listing activities you could do and by taking you on some group activities. The entire staff is some of the best, and they really seemed to care about the students. They made sure we were safe and overall, the locations we went to were all safe.

The students attending the program provided a great community. I made so many lifelong friends, and I think most people did, too. CYA gave us enough free time to take day trips to nearby islands and weekend trips to farther places. I was able see so much more of Greece by attending CYA, than if I had gone any other way. I loved my time in Greece and I think anyone would love CYA.

Honey and yougurt

One of the best experiences of my life. I learned a lot about who I was, how to travel, and what it was like to live in the most culturally rich city of Athens. The classes helped making adapting to the different culture manageable. However, it was the teachers and my classmates who really made this experience remarkable. I felt as if we were in a safe space where everyone was accepted. If I could I would go back and take these classes again. If you plan on going don't forget to try the yougurt and honey!! Seems kind of odd at first, but it's delicious!

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Thanks for your review and for sharing your great photos, Angela! We are so excited that you felt so at-home during your time in Athens and that you gained so many skills and so much knowledge, both educationally and personally. Hope you will get to taste authentic Greek yogurt and honey again one day!

CYA spring semester

Writing an in-depth review on an experience that lasted a month is quite a challenge, so I will attempt to be concise and accurate and cover specific areas of the program.
The living arrangements of the program were excellent. The apartments were roomy, with great utilities that allowed for students to functionally live on their own. I loved how they were situated in actual Greek apartment buildings as opposed to a dormitory building; this immersive style of living threw you right into Greek culture and made you feel as if you were really living in Greece as opposed to staying there.
The academics in CYA were strong overall, and they provided many different resources to better facilitate the learning process. One complaint I would have is that the computers were never functioning well and it was very difficult to print anything. Besides that, the classes and academic center were great.
It wasn't a challenge to immerse yourself in Greek culture, because you were living in it. So, for this part of the experience, I would rate it incredibly high. I even started picking up some Greek from living in Athens, as we weren't situated in a touristy area and thus were exposed to more Greek.
Overall, CYA provided an excellent experience that I will never forget, and I am so happy that I chose to study abroad with this program. I would heavily recommend that anyone student with the desire or means to study abroad consider CYA.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM

Thank you for your detailed review, Cory! How wonderful that you were able to immerse yourself and even pick up some Modern Greek during your time with CYA. While Greek technological capabilities in general may still not compare to those in the US, since you studied with us we have upgraded our equipment to make WiFi access more reliable and address some IT problems. We're so glad that you made the most of your educational and cultural experience abroad!

Summer of smiles

I had the time of my life in CYA! I couldn't stop smiling the entire month I was in Greece. I made such fast, close friends and had the best time traveling around Greece with them. I was never bored because there was always either a CYA organized event or one that the students had come up with to do together. I learned so much in such a short amount of time because of my amazing professor and my ability to see what I was learning about first hand. We were rarely in the classroom which allowed for very interactive learning in the museums and at the sites. The food in Greece was also so yummy while still being extremely inexpensive so I was able to spend my money on fun experiences and activities instead of having to use it all for food. Overall, I'm thrilled I chose CYA and would go back in a heartbeat.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Thank you for sharing both your experiences and your beautiful photos with us, Kim! It makes us smile too that you gained so much from your experience, both educational knowledge and close connections with friends. We would love to see you should you return to Greece someday!

Amazing community inside and outside the classroom

The professors and administration are fantastic, and the connections formed with classmates are unforgettable. I was never bored and had one of the best experiences of my life with CYA. The food in Greece is fantastic and the classes were incredible in that we experienced first hand the lifestyles, traditions, and ideas of both ancient and modern Greeks over the course of merely a month.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Austin! It sounds like you made the most of your experience during your summer course, and we hope that you continue to stay connected to the community!

Food is not just about eating, but about community

This summer I spent a month studying the Anthropology of Food in Greece: The Mediterranean Diet and More. At the surface this course sounds amazing because there is nothing better than studying food. This summer was incredible. Not only was I able to eat Greek food, but I was also able to immerse myself into the culture of the Greek diet. It was so incredible not only to see the production of food in Greece, but also be a part of the consumption of the food. We got to learn about what it means to consume the food and live in the culture of the Mediterranean Diet. I would recommend this course and CYA to anyone interested in studying abroad.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 10:09 AM

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your summer course, Reeta, and really made the most of the on-site learning opportunities that came with it! We're so lucky to have you as an Ambassador to let others know about this experience.

Take me back to Greece!

CYA was by far the best college experience I have had thus far. In the 4 weeks I spent in the program I made life lasting friendships, discovered many things I never knew about myself, and most importantly challenged myself in ways I deemed impossible. I choose to take a course that I presumed would be easy and give me plenty of time to travel and explore Greece. I was wrong, the course was challenging, required real work, but it was through all the course work that I discovered new things about myself. I had to think a lot about what I was experiencing and not just do something and forget about it. The work never hindered my travel experience and was not a burden. As for the country of Greece, it was unimaginable! Traveling with the course brought me to places I never would have chose to go, but were amazing! Meeting and speaking with locals gave a different impression than the media and other travelers can give. They are so proud of their country, and are not afraid to speak their mind, ask invasive questions, or discuss hardships in which the country is experiencing. These behaviors go along with Greek culture as well; at first I felt like an outsider, and that I was constantly being judged or mocked, but in Greek culture the people stare a lot and ask questions. Getting used to this was part of the whole experience, and by the end my friends and I would even catch ourselves staring or asking very personal questions. The meals while at CYA were very good! The cafeteria was extremely clean and portion size was big. The freedom is that of a normal college or university, with library accommodations, IT and tech support, and the faculty are extremely helpful and can answer almost every question! I would do another course at CYA in a heartbeat! The experience was unforgettable and I can not wait to travel back to Greece when I am older!

• College Year in Athens responded to this review January 23, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Thanks for your thorough review, Bridget! We are thrilled to see that you truly engaged in the study abroad experience by challenging yourself and interacting with the local culture - how wonderful that you made lasting friendships and grew so much personally in just four weeks! We would love to see you if you do return to Greece in the future!

All-time classic

CYA is a fantastic program with a fantastic faculty. Each of the professors in this program is phenomenal. The organized field trips are fantastic. And there are few better places in the world to be than Greece during the Summer. My only issues with the program is the lack of involvement of Greek peers in the program. Because of this, one has to make the effort to go meet locals outside of class. If you can handle that, this program is perfect.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review February 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Pranit! We hope students take advantage of the extracurricular activities offered through CYA, as well as our ability to connect you with local groups. Sounds like you did just that! We are so glad you enjoyed studying with CYA and hope you'll come back to visit soon!

Summer of a Lifetime

It is hard to sum up the experience I had with CYA in words.. I can honestly say that the 8+ weeks I spent in Greece have been the best weeks of my life thus far, in part thanks to CYA. I am a science major at my home university, but the two classes I took in Greece that focused on the anthropology of the Mediterranean diet and the archaeology of the Bronze Age really opened my eyes to some more of my academic interests and enriched my liberal arts education. The professors at CYA are obviously passionate about what they are teaching, and I think that this attribute really made us students not only want to learn more but to actually care about what we were learning. The structure of the summer programs allowed for personal travel and exploration which were huge parts of my experience as a whole and really instilled within me a desire to continue traveling in the future. While studying abroad through CYA, students live with other students from the United States. While I was disappointed that I wouldn’t be living with a more international crowd, I think that this arrangement had some “pros” as well. Culture shock is a real thing and to be able to come back home to other American students that were speaking English and experiencing the same emotions was comforting in a experience that was often very overwhelming and uncomfortable. I was in Greece during the summer of 2015 when the economic situation was very interesting and sometimes unsettling, yet I always felt safe being with CYA because they continuously ensured us that everything would be okay and had emergency plans in place if things went awry. I think that that speaks greatly for the structure of the program. I would recommend a program in Greece to anyone that is looking for a experience full of culture, amazing food (and wine!!), history, and the iconic hospitality that is often associated with the beautiful country.

• College Year in Athens responded to this review December 11, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Rachael! We are so glad you had such an incredible time!