CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Incredible 4 months

To say that a semester abroad was the best four months of your life is a bit cliché, but for me it is absolutely true. I had an incredible experience on the Gold Coast of Queensland. I met heaps of awesome people and saw really cool places and animals. The Lucky Land is a special place.

Changed my life!

ABSOLUTELY loved my time abroad with CISabroad! Orientation was run really well and don't worry about struggling to make friends - everybody is in the same boat being in a different country so just say hi! You never know who might become your best friend! Going abroad is all about new experiences and going out of your comfort zone so start off right away just talking and meeting new people in your program. LOVED Jackie Chapman (Gold Coast site director) and CISabroad was so helpful in making my abroad experience fun and memorable.

Bond Uni had a great selection of courses for my major and electives. I was able to satisfy a bunch of different requirements for my major and minors and take fun classes that allowed me to learn about Australia. Bond also has a gorgeous campus and amazing facilities that make you feel like you are anywhere but at school. As long as you work on time management and plan out trips ahead of time, you will have plenty of time for travel, adventures, and days at the beach.

I lived off-campus in Varsity Shores and it was a bit of a bumpy road with management in the beginning of my semester, but Varsity Shores ended up becoming my home. Had the best group of people living in Varsity Shores and I miss everyone every day. One thing to note about living in Varsity Shores is that you may be living with other people not in CISabroad and they may be older (30s), couples, or other international students. I got lucky and ended up in a house full of other study abroad students so we were able to all share our time in Australia. The Reserves filled up quickly when I was abroad so a majority of the off-campus CIS students were in Varsity Shores.

It may sound cliche, but going abroad changed my life and helped me find myself. Being somewhere outside of my little bubble back home pushed me to try new things and be open to everything. I got to see so many amazing things and places and I will never forget any of those experiences. The friends I made through CISabroad are also some of the most amazing people I've ever met and we still talk even 6 months later and we will probably still be talking for the next 6 months and the next 6 months after that. Traveling is the best way to learn about yourself and traveling with others is the best and fastest way to make friends. If I was given the chance to repeat my abroad experience with CISabroad again, I would do it in a heart beat without thinking.

A semester in paradise

An amazing semester that felt too good to be true. I wouldn't change anything, from the program I went through to the school. There are so many opportunities to travel and try new things, and every week is a new amazing adventure.

Bond Uni: The Best 4 Months of My Life

My experience in Australia was completely life changing. It pushed me to my limits, testing my worldview and opening my eyes to new adventures. Every moment and memory impacted the way I see myself and the world around me.
CISabroad was definitely the right program for me. I met some of the greatest mates from all around the world that I’ll hold in my heart forever. The support I received from Seth before the semester began and the genuine care I felt from Jackie & Keith onsite really helped me feel at home abroad. We also had a wicked cool orientation in Sydney & went on several awesome excursions that allowed me to see more of Australia than I would have on my own!
Bond Uni was absolutely incredible. From the gorgeous views on the "thinking stairs" to the canal in the middle of campus with real bull-sharks swimming in it, Bond was constantly impressing me. The professors were helpful both in and outside of class, making study abroad students really feel at home.
It’s hard to put into words how much this experience actually impacted me, but I get a smile across my face every time I look back on a memory made through CISabroad.

Once in a lifetime opportunity

How did you make the most of your experience in your host city/culture?
I made the most during my semester on the Gold Coast by taking the time to get to know the area, the culture, the people that live in the area, and explore as much of the country as I possibly could.
Why should the student reading this review choose this CISabroad program?
CISabroad gave me the opportunity of a lifetime by accepting me into a program that gave me a once in a lifetime chance to explore a country that was my dream country to live to since I was little. I got to meet so many wonderful people, work with great staff members who work for CISabroad, meet great staff members within the University abroad, and so much more.
How did this CISabroad program change your life?
CISabroad gave me the most amazing semester of my undergraduate degree. I made life long friends, traveled all over the country that I was studying abroad while also traveling to other countries, and lasting memories all while getting the same education that I could get at my home University. The classes abroad were unique in my major that some of the classes that I took are never offered in any University in the United States.
What are some decisions you made that made a positive impact on your overall experience? (e.g. local activities,excursions,homestay,classes, etc.)
What did you gain from your CISabroad program?
I gained more independence, more confidence, learned how to rely on myself, and so much more.

Semester on the Gold Coast

I wouldn't trade my time on the Gold Coast for anything, I had an amazing time and learned so much through this experience. I made friends that will last a lifetime and learned so much through getting to know people from so many different backgrounds. I would strongly recommend this program to anyone who wants a lot of adventure but also to meet people from all around the world.

Social Life

My time abroad brought me to so many different people that broadened my horizons and helped bring me to people so different from friends I already had. The wonderful part of study abroad is that it brings together so many people of different backgrounds but with one similar passion: travel. Meeting friends from across the globe is probably one of the best gifts I got from spending a semester abroad.

Bond University

My experience at Bond in Australia was the best experience I have ever had. Everything about studying abroad was exactly what I expected and more. I have gotten many of my friends to study abroad now in Australia.

Bond University

Bond University was an amazing Uni. The campus was absolutely gorgeous with waterfalls, a bay in the middle of campus, and completely refurnished buildings. The dorms were comfortable and very spacious for doubles. I loved the set up of classrooms and the size was perfect.

Wonderful Experience!

My experience with CIS and my trip in Australia were both amazing. The staff of CIS Abroad are very nice, and are willing to help with everything. The Gold Coast is wonderful, a place you can pursue so many different hobbies as you have beaches in one direction and small mountains in the other. Bond Uni is a great school with a beautiful campus, great professors and a lot of help available if needed.

An Amazing Experience

Studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made. It opened my eyes to so many new things and opportunities and it shows you that there is more out there than just where you're from. CIS Abroad did a great job setting everything up for us to make sure we had the best possible experience. I personally studied abroad at Bond University in Gold Coast, Australia and I would recommend that place to anyone. Australia is such a beautiful country. Thank you CIS for everything, and I am so happy I have the memories to reminisce upon.

Life Changing

This semester has been the best 3+ months of my life. This experience has been nothing but sensational and I am glad I made the choice to study abroad in Australia.

The best four months of my life!

Honestly there was not one experience that was more memorable than the other. I did so much and saw so many things that every experience was equally as fantastic. Looking back on it they seem to all be rolled together in one unforgettable experience of fun and happiness.

I chose to study at Bond University on the Gold Coast because I had always wanted to visit Australia. Also, I figured that if was going to take a leap and leave the U.S. for a semster I should take the opportunity to go as far away as possible. When I spoke to one of my advisors about studying in Australia, he immediately recommended Bond University through CISabroad.

There were multiple accommodations that were available to choose from at Bond, both on campus and off campus. I chose the cheapest option with was dorm-style housing in an on-campus building called the Accommodation Centre. The rooms in the Accommodation Centre were doubles and were very nice compared to the doubles at my school and other schools that I have visited. Each double came with it's own bathroom complete with vanity, toilet, and tile shower. The rooms also had their own adjustable thermostat and plenty of room. The room comes with two beds, two nightsands, two desks, two closets, a mini-fridge, and cabinet space. The cleaning staff came once a week to change sheets, vacuum, and clean the bathroom.

The best decision I have ever made.

Studying abroad on the Gold Coast was easily the best four months of my entire life. The combination of the unparalleled night life, the natural beauty of the Gold Coast, Bond University, and the diverse group of friends that I made made the experience something that I will never forget.

Amazing

Studying at Bond is amazing and a great experience

Where to drink

Surfers paradise is a little more uptight than a real "surfers paradise" should be. Pants are required which was annoying. I suggest the bars instead.

Studying In Paradise!

Studying abroad was the best decision I ever made and the best experience of my life. I'm sad to be home and I plan to go back. I met the most amazing people in such a beautiful place. I don't think my eyes can handle all the beautiful places I was able to visit there. It seems unreal. The whole experience ended too soon for my liking.

The material was very interesting and most of it felt relevant to learn. I guess how much they graded everything differently made it seem a bit harder.

Down under. Great beaches, great cities, and great people

Living in the Gold Coast wad the best decision I made when making my decision about where to study in Australia. I have traveled to a few major cities that i would have had the opportunity to study in had i not chosen Bond Uni. Melbourne and Sydney are all beautiful, great cities to visit. If you enjoy the beach lifestyle ( in my opinion the most beautiful beaches in AUS) mixed in with the fun of being near a big city (Surfers Paradise) I highly reccomend Bond University on the Gold Coast.

Australia

the best decision i ever made.

Challenging and definitely worth it!

At first, before going abroad I started having second guesses about the country I chose to study abroad but after going I am so happy with the choice I made. School was a little challenging just because of how different the system is from my home University. Although, because it was challenging I feel I have grown efficiently in my academics. Taking classes in a different country gives you so many more learning opportunities. During my time abroad I gained a lot of confidence. Being in a new place with new people was refreshing and I learned a lot about myself. Bond University had many social events that allowed students to become more connected with each other and allowed me to meet people from all over the world. Note: Australia is expensive! Save lots of money to enjoy your time here.

Go To Gold Coast or Die

Once arriving in Australia, everything went smoothly with CISabroad. I had many problems with the application process before leaving America. I had the time of my life in Australia! If you do not travel abroad for one semester, you really are hindering your college experience!

Traveling to the Land Down Under with CIS

I chose CIS Abroad because of how accessible they were at my university and they had the university that I wanted/needed to attend since it followed the U.S. Spring Schedule. I studied abroad this Spring 2015. I loved Australia very much! The weather is incredible and so perfect!

The only thing that was stressful for me was the money situation. It was quite costly so I was resistant to doing a lot of outside travel. However, in the Gold Coast there are plenty of nice beaches to visit and places that aren't too far away to do short day trips that won't burn a hole in your pocket too much. If you want to learn more about my travels check out my blog flyawayfaye.wordpress.com.

The academics I gave a poor rating, because I did not care for them too much. I do not feel that I learned very much, but that has more to do with Bond University rather than the program. The focus was more on memorization and the way the exams are conducted are more stressful than in the states. I had my last two finals in the gym and we were given seat numbers and we can't bring anything in to the exam room. They also have this weird thing called perusal time which is just 15 mins to read but not write or do anything on the answer booklet. It felt like these exams were death! However, they were just once at the end of the semester, so it wasn't too bad. I took an Organizational behavior management class which was okay. I didn't learn very much, but it was quite easy. I also took an Australian Popular culture class which was interesting. The main topic is the Australian Legend, and it was not very challenging. I also took and Managerial Planning and Controls subject which was okay--I didn't learn anything in that class that I didn't learn from other business classes. I believe this class will be dropped soon. Finally, my 4th class was Sustainable Tourism and Indigenous Culture which was an awesome class. Most of the professors seemed to care about the subject and really encouraged us to work hard.

The living situation--I loved it. People would come and clean my room and make up my bed once a week. That is really nice! I def. recommend living on campus and having a roommate!

I am sad that I didn't get to meet that many Australians while at Bond. I lived in the Accommodation Center on campus and basically it's the dorm for Americans. Also, the social life at Bond revolves around alcohol. If you like drinking than this is the place for you. However, it is important to remember to NOT PULL the FIRE ALARM or basically do stupid shit because you can end up getting hefty fines for the nonsense. However, you will learn all about this during orientation week.

Anyways, I enjoyed my time here. I bought a bike so I did a lot of biking around which was a fun and cheap way to explore. Australia is great. I will be coming back some day!

Excellent!

I loved Australia and everything it entailed. The people, places and experiences are something I will never forget.

This was the best decision and experience of my life!

Australia, especially Bond university is amazing and the perfect place to study abroad. Everyone is super friendly and the school is great at getting everyone involved as well as putting on awesome parties! The beaches are beautiful and the bars and clubs are a fun way to spend the night off campus. Everything is much more expensive than I expected, especially alcohol-all we can afford is "goon" (box wine). I have made some great friends and unforgettable memories. I've seen so many awesome places, there is a student flights travel place on campus which makes booking trips much easier-like visiting the outback! I'm so happy I came to Bond on the Gold Coast, it was the best decision of my life.

Jason was the best guide ever!

Campus safety is always around and the campus has a safe environment feeling to it.

Social Life:
Everyone wanted to have a good time it was easy to make friends and have a good time any day of the week!

Coming to Australia provided me with certain unique opportunities that I would not have otherwise had.

I would definitely come to Australia again to study abroad but I would look into other universities with smaller study abroad populations so I could be more immersed in the culture.

The academic side of my study abroad experience has been very good and I have learned quite a bit. The hardest part is the work hard play hard atmosphere. I come from a University where there is NOTHING to do so it took extra effort to focus and get the work done. But I have had mostly very good professors and think I was able to do well.

The room and building is very nice. I happen to get a miserable roommate but that has nothing to do with the actual accommodation.

I was shocked at how similar to the United States Australia is but beyond that most of my classes were mostly (75% +) American Study Abroad students so I didn't really feel immersed in Australian culture.

CIS Abroad did a very good job with the logistics of studying abroad. The only improvement would be to create a very specific "To Do" list for prospective abroad students to check off as they go (paper work due, payment dates etc). In my case my home university has such a terrible study abroad department (especially the financial aid office) that I suspect why so few people go abroad is the insurmountable obstacles, mainly due to a lack of training, incompetence, apathy, and lack of organization. If CIS picked up the slack that some universities leave it would make it more manageable to go abroad

I always felt very safe, granted I am a 6'4" guy. But around the clubs and bars there are always dozens of police officers and the campus and surrounding area are all well lit.

Social Life:
Like anywhere else the abroad students form clicks really fast. If you're into club life you will be perfectly happy. The bus will get you to Surfers Paradise and Broad beach to go to Clubs and bars. If you are more of a nature, national park, beach, camping type, it is harder. As shallow as it is to think your best bet is to make friends with someone who has a car. There are loads of parks and beaches but you need a car to get to them.