Social Work in a Latin American Context
A woman on top of a mountain A woman on top of a mountain

Social Work in a Latin American Context

Cuernavaca was an experience

The decision to study abroad was by far the best decision I made in my undergraduate years. I was exposed to a different world, a different view of social work, a different way or livening and it was all so enriching. I walked out of this program as a different person with a different aspect on the world. I still reflect back on everything I learned in this program and beyond blessed to have the experiencing of livening and studying abroad.

Mexico

It is what you make it, and I decided to give my all and in return had a amazing semester. The speakers was great and I learned a lot from them. They brought the issues to life, and made a huge impact in my life.

Life in Cuernavaca, Morelos

It was one of the most life changing experience I have ever had in my life. Being here has opened my perspective on so many aspects of life. It was more than I had expected. The great families, and friendship I have developed was wonderful. Being able to see the mountain that isn't far from where I live and immerse in the language and culture is the best gift anyone can have being a undergrad student. Life has so much to offer, don't be afraid to take some chances, have positive attitude, and the mindset to try something new. If you have all of these, you are ready for this trip and the many splendid memories to experience.

Cuernavaca was an experience

The program here in Cuernavaca was amazing. I have no regrets in coming on this trip. What we have completed and participated in definitely echoes the program mission statement. I feel that this was an awesome experience to become a more global leader and a more competent social worker. I would recommend this program to anyone.

Cultural Competence

Study abroad experience

I enjoyed this experience

Would do it over again

I had a really amazing time in Cuernavaca. I met so many great people and learned great things. I think the program does a great job of pushing you out of your comfort zone but still being supportive along the way. The one thing I would change is more opportunities to travel around Mexico and more spacing out of the assignments. I felt like during my first months here I wasn't doing any academic work, and then at the end all of my assignments were crammed into one. I wish we had more opportunities to travel around the country. But overall, I enjoyed this program. I would do it again if I had the choice.

Mexico 2015

I loved this experience! There's not much about it that I would change. I learned so much in my short time here bout very important topics, including myself. I also learned how to be a better social worker and fight for what's right as well as in what areas you can be a social worker.

A wonderful experience

I really enjoyed my semester in Cuernavaca with the Social Work in a Latin American Context program. Some of the highlights of my experience included the week in Amatlan (I have never felt as though I have learned so much and so deeply in one week as I did in Amatlan), the visit to Centro de Integración Juvenil and speaking with the social worker there, Carlos Melasio's talk on U.S. intervention in Latin America (though would have liked to have an additional talk on covert CIA & military operations in Latin America), the talk on Zapatismo, the visit to Colonia Satelite and the talk with Marta Delgado, the exchange wtih the UNAM students (particularly the visit to practicum site La Merced), the talk by Xochitl Ramirez and the visit to Tlamacazapa (one of my favorite days here), and the visit to Ixtlilco.

However, there are some things I would change about the program. I think that some speakers could have presented for one hour instead of two. I understand that sometimes more time is needed for translation, but 2 hours plus is often way too long to remain engaged and focused, especially on the days where we had several classes and speakers in one day.

I also thought there was a discrepancy in the workload of the Social Work and MGE programs. Social Work seemed to have more speakers and visits and it seemed to be more academically rigorous than MGE. This was strange to me, since we all lived together in the same houses, yet some of us had significantly more to do than others.

Overall, I feel like I have learned an enormous amount throughout the semester about the cultures, politics, and social and economic landscape of Mexico as well as the relationship between Mexico and the U.S.

The holistic approach to learning taught me a lot more than i would have learned about culture had i stayed on campus.

Study abroad in Mexico taught me many things. The holistic approach to learning that incorporated classes, home stays, talks, and excursions to various organizations and locations in Mexico allowed me to gain a well-rounded perspective and view on issues such as immigration, culture, family, groups, communities and social work as a profession. The program keeps you busy and occupied, however, you do have free time to go out and about and explore Cuernavaca or other areas in Mexico on the weekends (if you're not in art and required to go on the art excursions). The art excursions are almost every Saturday and are open to all students. I personally took advantage of all the excursions because the excursions allow you to visit different areas and places in Mexico, free of cost. Among other places we visited Puebla, Taxco, Teotihuacan, Xochimilco and Mexico City. Overall I really enjoyed the program because it taught me so much, helped me grow as an individual and as a social worker.

A few of the downsides for me were having so much work to do and not as much time as I would have liked to immerse myself in the culture. The work load was comparable to the work load at your home school and this was difficult at times because being abroad you are dealing with cultural, time and adjustment differences that you don't face while at home. Another adjustment that I faced when coming here was feeling like my US college campus had been transported to Mexico and that I would be in a US bubble the whole time. However, this feeling quickly dissipated because the program really does incorporate a wide variety of activities, such as a rural and city home stay, that get you involved in your surroundings and out of the US bubble that I was so afraid of being stuck in .

A Short Happy Life Journey

Studying Abroad in Cuernavaca was one of the most inspiring and life changing short journey that had ever happened to me. Meeting new friends, becoming friends with staffs who went way, way beyond their role as a professors, and listening to tons of stories about struggles, happy moments, and etc. was what give this adventure the best and life changing moments.

Life changing experience

I strongly recommend this program to anyone. Participating in CGE's program abroad was the scariest but smartest decision I have ever made.

Cuernavaca

The program was set up well i was able to learn a lot from the combination of class,speakers and excursions that were provided.

Viewing life on a different level.

Understanding life in a different way. Becoming more aware of who I am and what the world has to offer in a different culture!

This was a great experience.

The program and classes were good. I learned a lot from the speakers and excursions.

My study abroad experience

There are a lot of things that need to be addressed. One of those things being communication style, respect, racism, and many more. Luckily there were some super supportive staff but I hope things will.

Social work in a Latin American context

I had a great time studying in Cuernavaca. Aside from minor issues in programming, everything went very well. The staff places a heavy emphasis on experiential learning, and I really enjoyed that aspect. I recommend this program to anyone that is interested in learning more about the US-Mexico relationship.

Room for Improvement

This experience was overall very eye opening and life changing. This program has great potential but a few things that I think could have changed my experience for the better.

Incredible program for my only option, but can improve on a lot to increase the immersion aspect of the program.

CGE provided a wonderful semester for social work that focuses on experiential learning to increase cultural self-awareness and intercultural awareness in the students' professional development. I feel like there could be of an immersion into Mexican culture throughout the semester. Spanish classes should be the whole semester, and homestays could have been longer in order to increase students' ability in the language.

Cuernavaca 2017!

This was a great program for me as a social work major. I am extremely glad to have gone on this program for a number of reasons. As a social work major, this program allowed me to broaden my worldview, my global social work knowledge, and my ability to communicate cross-culturally.

Great experience but program was chaotic and frustrating

CGE Mexico does a fantastic job of using experiential learning prospective. This is certainly a program for those who want to learn. For social work having the experience to take upper level classes abroad is great, and the exchange with Mexico's National School of Social Work was a great way to see social work in a unique context. However, the program is incredibly rigorous between coursework, speakers, classes, and excursions. There is very little free time, which is too bad as it limits time for students to explore on their own. Also, the living arrangements create odd levels in terms of boundaries, as classes take place in the same home students live. This leaves little separation between the professors/staff and the students. Sometimes proffessors/staff were too involved in controlling students, and other times did not offer enough support. Despite this, good experience.

Meanigful Experience to Carry Through Career

I feel my semester in Mexico has been a big learning experience. The more I look back at the speakers and places we visited throughout the semester and saw how much knowledge I have gained. My values and ideals have been challenged during the semester, which I greatly appreciate. Overall, I would say the program is great! Nevertheless, if you ask for critical feedback, I would suggest to have more opportunity to complete an independant study. The group fieldtrips we take are great ways to learn from one another, however, I would like to have had more time to myself. There were activities scheduled back-to-back and I feel I did not have the time to complete some independant study. If this kind of course is offered, then I was not aware of it.

I learned a lot.

I feel as if I learned a lot, bu there were many parts of the abroad program that could have been cut out. Some presentations I felt were just for MGE students but SWK students had to attend everything. Also we could have used more free time to actually explore and learn on our own. I also enjoyed the long trips for an additional visual learning experience

CGE Social Work Experience

Great experience for aspiring social workers who are looking to broaden their knowledge of other cultures and get an in depth experience in another country.

Great way to construct new lenses to enhance cultural responsiveness

The program was jam-packed full of opportunities to construct new ideas of culture, politics, systematic structures all within the Mexican context. It allowed students to observe and assess various levels and faucets of society through home stays, guest speakers, classroom time and many excursions. Overall, the program did a wonderful job offering several views and outlooks on Mexican cultures and becoming a global citizen within four months.