Wildlife Health, Ecology and Conservation
Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image Center for Engaged Learning Abroad (CELA Belize) Header Image

Wildlife Health, Ecology and Conservation

You'd better BELIZE it!

Coming into this program, I had no idea what to expect. I had never studied abroad before, let alone traveled out of the country on my own! However, meeting some of the students ahead of the course in the airport, I instantly knew I would be in good hands. I was greeted with such a kind and friendly group of like-minded individuals who wanted to learn and experience all of the same things that I did. Getting to work with the Belize Zoo, TEC, and other corporations doing various research and conservation exercises was more beneficial than I can express. I made lasting friendships, and being as involved as I was, now have several abroad internships lined up!

CELA wildlife health, conservation, & ecology Course

I had an amazing time on this trip! I made some awesome new friends and it certainly feels like I learned more about wildlife conservation in those two weeks than I have throughout my whole college career.

Incredible experience

I had such a blast learning and experiencing on this trip, I wish it had never ended. Everyone I met was friendly and enthusiastic, and it made me even more dedicated to what I am learning at school. I learned so much invaluable information that I believe will help my in my future endeavours.

A strong recommendation to anyone in the biological and veterinary fields

I gained an insurmountable amount of experience from CELA and their fantastic instructors Dr. Julio Mercado and Jane Champion. The course provided me information and the politics of Belize in respect to the environment, conservation and behavioral study techniques and real zoo veterinary medicine practices. I gained not only experience but I also made a special bond with many members of my group, making the trip not only more enjoyable but also left such an impression that when I hear the word 'Belize', I will always smile.

CELA Belize-winter wildlife ecology & conservation course

The course was excellent, and the instructors especially were fun and informative. Even though I'm not pre-vet, I thoroughly enjoyed learning from the wildlife vet who helped co-teach the course. He was so much fun, and had many great points to make about conservation efforts by zoos! Was able to do many novel things I'd never have been able to do anywhere else. Would highly recommend!

CELA wildlife study abroad

This course and experience was remarkable. I learned so much about Belize in regards to its culture and wild life. My instructors Julio and Jane gave us the best experience possible, as did Cynthia! Thanks again. :)

CELA winter study abroad: wildlife ecology & conservation

I had an amazing time in this course. My classmates were wonderful, the course was interactive and fun. It was the best science class I have ever taken. I have never felt so immersed in a subject before.

C.E.L.A.

This was an amazing experience. The teachers have a huge wealth of knowledge and you gain a lot of information from both their lectures and hand on experiences. The whole trip was well organized and Belize is a lovely and very friendly country. I wouls recommend this trip to anyone.

Review

Overall this experience with CELA is one that I will never forget and definitely recommend to fellow students at school. Belize is an amazing place and was a perfect way to combine study abroad and wildlife.

Wildlife Program

This experience was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was very hard to leave Belize when my stay was over. I met many incredible people and made many new life long friends. The people of Belize are some of the nicest people I have ever met. The wildlife course was incredible and had amazing instructors. This opportunity is a must do! I recommend this trip to anyone. I really hope to make it back to Belize one day.

Winter Wildlife Course

The class was awesome and a great experience. We got the chance to shadow zookeepers, hike through the jungle, and snorkel on a remote island. If you want a little bit of everything you should definitely take this class because it is a little bit of all the other I.S.I.S. classes combined. In this class we learned a lot about the efforts in Belize to conserve wildlife and what impact it has on Belize and the teacher was awesome!

unforgettable experience

This trip was great and exceeded my expectations for sure, every person involved was an enhancement and deserves a congratulations for the impact they had on so many future wildlife leaders of the world.

Fantastic Experience

This was an incredible trip. The range of wildlife we covered was impressive, working with reptiles, birds, and mammals. Our teacher Dr. Isabelle is a remarkable vet and I know I'm better for having been taught by her. While I am not a vet student but rather interested in conservation and education, this course was still completely worth it. We covered a broad number of subjects, from medical procedures to conservation efforts to biodiversity, and gave a very complete picture of working with wildlife, working in developing countries, and Belize. The atmosphere here is simply beautiful and tranquil, and I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of my stay. So worth the money!

This was amazing!

I felt this was one of the, if not the greatest experience of my life. I came here with no expectations other than to learn and I got that and so much more.

I learned a great deal about almost every grouping of exotic species (birds, reptiles, mammals) in terms of biology, ecology, medicine, care, conservation, local significance, and felt that these subject areas were synthesized together quite well.

The program is not only great for learning techniques of veterinary medicine in the field of zoo, exotics, and wildlife, but allowed time for unbeliezble experiences with local organizations such as the Belize Zoo, Iguana Project, Community Baboon Sanctuary, and Belize Bird Rescue.

The program offered a unique and enlightening view on conservation and a veterinarians role in conservation, as well as addressing issues of endangered species from a more realistic and practical point... that being the human component. Sometimes the focus can shift so much on saving the animal that it doesn't address the humanitarian concerns that led to the problems in the first place, so it's a good opportunity to learn ways to help solve the root of the problem rather than putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.

The ISIS staff was amazing in terms of help, questions, advice, and really anything we needed in terms of staying in a foreign country all the while doing so with a warm and caring attitude. The accommodations were great and I couldn't have asked for anything better.

Dr. Isabelle Paquet-Durand is an amazing veterinarian who is so knowledgeable about wildlife and exotic medicine. Not only is she very experienced, but more importantly she is a natural teacher who loves sharing her knowledge and puts you at ease about asking any questions you may have; there was never an environment where I was scared to ask a question, which is not usual for me. She is also very hands on in her approach with the students and provides the opportunity for us to do pretty much everything as a group, but with her supervision and willingness to guide us along the way which I found to be incredible.

Overall this was an amazing 12 days and I couldn't be happier with the experience I had. This place does amazing things and can help to change the world for the better. It was an amazing opportunity to take a peak into what goes on here and gain a greater appreciation for wildlife, zoo and exotics from every facet. This is our last day in Belize, and I'm already looking forward to the next time I'll visit this place and would definitely look into a future internship or externship.

Great program for students interested in wildlife

I am very happy I chose to do this program. I got to do much more than expected - the course is very hands on! The broad spectrum of subjects studied may seem a bit intimidating but it is a lot of fun and very do-able. There was hardly any time to do leisure activities or go around the town but it is very worth it if you're in it for the animal diversity! I learned a lot and would recommend it to anybody who is interested in conservation.

The experience was enlightening, educational, and overall the trip of a lifetime.

The professors, other staff, and experiences of ISIS Belize were phenomenal. I loved the country, the wildlife, the field trips, and the educational aspects. I got to do things I'd never have the opportunity to do elsewhere. The living situation was great, and I learned more than I ever could have hoped. Even better than expected!

Midas was fabulous! Very pretty and nicely kept. I enjoyed the free breakfasts, too!

I felt less 'touristy' as i was allowed to meet locals and explore local places. I felt very immersed.

Great job setting all of this up! The staff were phenomenal.

The ISIS Belize Wildlife Course was an incredible experience and I encourage anyone with an interest in animal medicine to come down here and see for yourself!

This experience as a whole was incredible. The course provided us with so many opportunities for hands on experience - I dewormed baby toucans, gave subcutaneous injections to parakeets and rabbits, fed birds and tapirs at the zoo, captured and restrained parrots for examination at Belize Bird Rescue, and so much more! Dr. Isabelle, the professor, was fantastic - she really loves teaching as much as she loves being a wildlife vet, and she encouraged questions and participation in hands on activities. She gave every student a chance to try something new and to practice our technical skills. I highly recommend this course to anyone who has any interest at all in animal medicine or wildlife conservation; I had a great time and I wish I could stay longer!

The wildlife course was, in one word, incredible. We went on excursions to the Community Baboon Sanctuary (which is a protected area for Howler monkeys), the Iguana Project at the San Ignacio Hotel, the Belize Zoo, and Belize Bird Rescue. At each of these places, we were given the opportunity to get involved and practice technical skills that we learned about in class, like restraint, clinical examinations, and animal husbandry. When we weren't on a field trip, we were listening to lectures and assisting with patients in Dr. Isabelle's clinic. We also got a lot of hands on experience seeing wildlife patients at the clinic. The whole experience was amazing and I highly recommend it if you're even remotely interested in animal medicine!

We stayed at Midas Resort in San Ignacio. We each had a roommate and stayed in small cottages. The rooms had all of the necessities: air conditioning, fans, showers, 2 beds. They were a little on the small side and there weren't any drawers or anything, so we had to live out of our suitcases for the full month, but overall it was fine. There was also a decent sized pool, which was great to jump into after a full day of class. The staff provided us with a great breakfast every morning, changed our towels every day, and they were really friendly. We were a 5 minute walk from downtown San Ignacio, which was great for hanging out in town and going out to eat.

We spent the majority of the day doing classwork with our fellow students, and by the time we got back to the resort at the end of the day, we were all exhausted. The cultural immersion was really what you make of it - if you make the effort to go out into town and talk to the locals, you'll have a better cultural experience than someone who chooses to stay on the resort most of the time.

The administration was very organized and helpful. They responded to e-mails in a timely manner when I was figuring out the details of the trip, and they provided us with all of the information we needed about life in Belize and our class schedules. They also ran an orientation when we arrived that was very helpful.

San Ignacio is very safe - we had no issues at all while on the trip. However, it's always advised that you travel in pairs just to be on the safe side.

An absolutely amazing experience.

I recommend this course to anyone who is interested in animals, wildlife, or becoming a vet because it is an absolutely amazing experience. You learn so much about the wildlife and culture of Belize and meet wonderful new friends. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience that is definitely worth the trip.

Very good experience

Very good course. The teachers are very nice, and very helpful when you need it. You learn a wide variety of different things. The living conditions are a little rustic, but I didn't mind it at all. You're surrounded by the Belize culture.

You Better Belize It!

This experience was so much fun! There were so many opportunities that I don't think I'll get anywhere else! The wildlife we got to work with was incredible, and the lecture material directly related to all the field experience we had, so it was easy to learn and completely applicable.

I would highly recommend this experience to anyone interested in wildlife medicine or conservationism!

A truly unique experience

I am a music major minoring in biology and although this course didn't quite fit my criteria for study, it opened me to a new world in both culture and education. I took away a whole new perspective on dealing with wildlife conservation and at the same time was immersed in a rich culture. The living accommodations took a little effort to get used to but was overall very good. The people were welcoming and more so when you smiled back. The teachers and staff were always available and very helpful. This program has allowed me new friends and great experiences. This course has definitely aroused my interest to deal with conservation in the future. I recommend this course to anyone looking for an opportunity to broaden their horizons and take on new challenges.

Incredible Opportunity

This is an amazing program in an amazing country and I can easily see myself remaining close friends with everyone I met over the course. Definitely be prepared to go to a developing country and don't be naive about living accommodations or sanitation, you will have to watch out for certain things that most Americans take for granted, but know that you can still relax and enjoy Belize. The teacher is incredible and so realistic and there's so much she can offer to anyone, but especially to a pre-vet student looking for wildlife experience. Even the class lectures were great, but still nothing compared to the experience we got at the Belize Zoo or simply accompanying the Dr. to her routine cases. I would go back in a heart-beat and do it all again!

The Veterinary professor is amazing and so knowledgeable, it was an incredible experience learning from and practicing under her.

Once In A Lifetime

The ISIS wildlife course was a once in a lifetime experience with an amazing instructor (Dr. Isabelle) who truly loves what she teaches. She doesn't just talk at you or above you, she truly teaches you the information that is necessary to be a wildlife veterinarian. We had a great mixture of lecture, labs, and hands on experience. I wouldn't trade the course for any other experience! It was a great first contact with exotic animal medicine that has inspired me to learn as much as I can on the topic!!

A Month Worth Reliving

The words don't exist to descibe the grandeur of the country and the flight that one takes throughtout the program.

Almost everything is hands on. It's hard not to learn as much as I did in this one month when so much was practical work.

We (the girls in ISIS summer session 1; 2011) all became very close friends as a result of this program and I believe much of it had to do with the fact that we all lived together and created our own family/ home away from home.

Although we did get some cultural immersion, it wasn't so much since most of our time was spent doing what we were there to do, study animal science.

The administrators are great people who care about the students who go through their program as much as they care about the well being of animals and seeing as they are all veterinarians, that is saying something.

Just be smart about things. We always stayed with a buddy.

Social Life:
Maluchi's is a great place to socialize. In general, everyone in Belize is very relaxed and "go with the flow".

My CELA Belize review

It was great! Would definitely recommend to others! The people were fantastic and really made the trip very memorable. The instructors were also very passionate in their subject areas. That, along with the very hands on curriculum, made the learning fun.